FA4UA
Topic Author

XM Satellite Radio On UA Rumors

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:06 pm

A few little birdies have been chirping about XM satellite radio being added to United's Fleet. Initial rumors stating 100 channels of music domestically and 50 channels internationally.

I wouldn't think it would work anywhere but over North America, but time will tell.

I would imagine XM will help cover part of the cost and write it off as marketing. Nice to have access to a captive audience of 200,000 people a day to show off your product!

I've heard that the 737 fleet will be first! Expect a formal announcement soon! As for now it's just a very LOUD rumor.

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

rdynyc

RE: XM Satellite Radio On UA Rumors

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:10 pm

Just curious, What is "XM" radio?

greasespot

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:17 pm

you mean they need more than Chanel 9?

Signed

99% of airliners.net
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

N1120A

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:17 pm

Quoting RDYNYC (Reply 1):
Just curious, What is "XM" radio?

It is a satellite radio service.

I really hope this doesn't mean the end of Channel 9
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

wjcandee

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:20 pm

Nice to hear that UA is thinking of catching up with Airtran!!

RDUDDJI

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:22 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 3):

Ditto. I'd rather have Channel 9 and NOTHING else than 100 channels and no Ch. 9!
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

gigneil

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:24 pm

Quoting FA4UA (Thread starter):
Initial rumors stating 100 channels of music domestically and 50 channels internationally.

XM's satellites are geostationary. There will be no coverage internationally beyond Tijuana, Juarez, Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver at best.

N

FA4UA
Topic Author

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:28 pm

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 6):
XM's satellites are geostationary. There will be no coverage internationally beyond Tijuana, Juarez, Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver at best.

As an XM subscriber myself, that's what I thought.

I also hope we keep channel 9! Passengers really do love it and loosing it would be a pity!

FA4UA

N1120A

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:30 pm

Quoting FA4UA (Reply 7):
I also hope we keep channel 9! Passengers really do love it and loosing it would be a pity!

Yeah, UA would lose at least one elite FFer because of it (me)

wjcandee

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:42 pm

Fact is, there's no reason while channel 9 couldn't be included in the system. UA would just have to insist that it be incorporated. Heck, in your CAR, you have a tuner that has AM, FM, CD and XM.

IADBGO

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:42 pm

While a signal from the satellites are limited to the US and a few places in Canada and Mexico...I believe it would be possible to broadcast it directly to aircraft from ground stations. I don't how this works...but I assume it is similar to the ground repeaters that are setup in cities across the US.

IADBGO

airportplan

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:44 pm

No one said anything about Channel 9 going away. One of the main advantages of adding XM is that UA can eliminate the cost of updating audio media monthly on hundreds of aircraft.

flypdx

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:53 pm

Wasn't UA talking about getting Wifi on planes a few months or a year ago? Has that happened yet....No.

HPLASOps

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:55 pm

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 5):
Ditto. I'd rather have Channel 9 and NOTHING else than 100 channels and no Ch. 9!

New guy here - don't get the channel 9 reference - what is UA's channel 9?
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

N1120A

Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:01 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 13):
New guy here - don't get the channel 9 reference - what is UA's channel 9?

The audio program on Channel 9 is, at captain's discretion, "From the Flight Deck" which is basically a tap into the aircraft's ATC radio feed so you can listen to what the cockpit hears on your flight.

HPLASOps

Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:11 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):
The audio program on Channel 9 is, at captain's discretion, "From the Flight Deck" which is basically a tap into the aircraft's ATC radio feed so you can listen to what the cockpit hears on your flight.

Interesting - not sure how many pax outside of a.netters would actually care to hear ATC chatter - example: recently my friend and I were going LAS-MSP and the capt came on about 5 min after takeoff, saying "Folks, are brakes are running a little hot and so we're gonna leave the landing down for a few more minutes until it cools." And my friend looked at me and said "That's not really something I wanna hear! Do you what you gotta to do fly the plane but I really didn't need to know that!"
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

N1120A

Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:15 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 15):
Interesting - not sure how many pax outside of a.netters would actually care to hear ATC chatter

Actually, you should be surpirsed at the number who do.

FriendlySkies

Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:26 pm

Quoting Flypdx (Reply 12):
Wasn't UA talking about getting Wifi on planes a few months or a year ago? Has that happened yet....No.

Actually... http://www.united.com/press/detail/0,6862,52964,00.html

It has.  Wink

MarshalN

Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:48 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 15):
Interesting - not sure how many pax outside of a.netters would actually care to hear ATC chatter - example: recently my friend and I were going LAS-MSP and the capt came on about 5 min after takeoff, saying "Folks, are brakes are running a little hot and so we're gonna leave the landing down for a few more minutes until it cools." And my friend looked at me and said "That's not really something I wanna hear! Do you what you gotta to do fly the plane but I really didn't need to know that!"

Actually, there are people who do like it. I sat next to an Aussie on a recent flight and he loves Ch9, and listens to it whenever he flies UA. I don't think he's much of an aviation hobbyist beyond that

roseflyer

Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:52 pm

Sounds like a great addition. The narrowbody fleet could all have XM satellite radio, and the widebody fleet could have PTVs. It would give UA the best IFE among the legacy US carriers.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

N1120A

Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:58 pm

As far as the Wifi thing goes, are they going to keep trying to make it prohibitively expensive or are they going to try and keep it competitive like LH's FlyNet/Connexion service is?

Go3Team

Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:14 pm

Sounds like UA is ripping off FL, Tell em Fred. If this is true, at least they went for the better company.
Yay Pudding!

UAalltheway

Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:27 pm

Quoting FA4UA (Thread starter):
I wouldn't think it would work anywhere but over North America, but time will tell.

Since when does satellite only cover land?

Quoting N1120A (Reply 3):

Absolutely not.. United has TONS of pride in being the only carrier in the world to offer the service of Channel 9- I can assure you they will not be getting rid of it anytime soon. They've used it in TONS of marketing ploys for years. It's not going anywhere.  Wink  Smile

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 17):
Actually... http://www.united.com/press/detail/0....html

I wish UA would have gone with Boeing's Connexion by Boeing service.  Sad The verizon service is going to be as expensive as hell

symphonik

Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:29 pm

Hoo hoo... I invented radios on airplanes...hoo hoo ROB-IN

This would be a welcome addition to UA (still my American carrier of choice, even if it's just because I have the Mileage Plus miles). I listen to XM in the car, and adore it... having it on the plane would be fantastic. They just have to keep Channel 9.

(O&A Party Rock!)

FriendlySkies

Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:37 pm

Quoting UAalltheway (Reply 22):

Since the satellites are only aimed at the continental US.  Wink

flypdx

Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:39 pm

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 17):
Actually... http://www.united.com/press/detail/0,6862,52964,00.html

It has.  

Actually, that article doesn't say anything about it actually being installed on any aircraft/being available at this time on any aircraft.

dw9115

Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:41 pm

I think it is great that United is going to start offering XM. I love the service when ever I fly AirTran but it will never beat channel 9.

Go3Team

Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:04 pm

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 24):
Since the satellites are only aimed at the continental US.

It has been said by XM (From the Head of Programming - Eric Logan) that XM Canada uses the same satellites as the existing XM service in the US. XM was also listened to by people in Canada before XM Canada was formed.

As for the southern extremes, I have heard as far south as Monterrey, MX.
Yay Pudding!

Mir

Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:15 pm

As long as they keep Channel 9. They can move it to another channel, but just keep Channel 9.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 8):
Yeah, UA would lose at least one elite FFer because of it (me)

And another (me - though I'm not elite by a long shot).

United has TONS of pride in being the only carrier in the world to offer the service of Channel 9- I can assure you they will not be getting rid of it anytime soon. They've used it in TONS of marketing ploys for years. It's not going anywhere.

As long as it doesn't go anywhere, I won't be taking my business anywhere else either.  Smile

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

phollingsworth

Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:19 pm

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 27):
It has been said by XM (From the Head of Programming - Eric Logan) that XM Canada uses the same satellites as the existing XM service in the US. XM was also listened to by people in Canada before XM Canada was formed.

As for the southern extremes, I have heard as far south as Monterrey, MX.

That make sense, since Geostationary positions really effect only the longitude range over which the signal is available. If a signal is available at 40 degrees N and 80 degrees W, it will be available on 80 degrees W from about 80 degrees S to 80 degrees N, provided you have a clear view of the equatorial sky.

MikeTheActuary

Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:31 pm

Quoting Phollingsworth (Reply 29):

That make sense, since Geostationary positions really effect only the longitude range over which the signal is available. If a signal is available at 40 degrees N and 80 degrees W, it will be available on 80 degrees W from about 80 degrees S to 80 degrees N, provided you have a clear view of the equatorial sky.

While that's correct in theory, most satellites have spot beams, focusing signal in certain areas. XM-1, XM-2, and XM-3 satellites have a CONUS+Canada spot. Go too far south of the border or too far over water, and the signal becomes too weak to receive without a very large antenna.

srbmod

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:38 am

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 21):
Sounds like UA is ripping off FL, Tell em Fred. If this is true, at least they went for the better company.

Equipment-wise, yes. Programming-wise, no. And I don't mean O&A v. Stern either.

I am surprised that Sirius has yet to enter this niche of the market. They need to get into this segment so they can help pay Stern that $100 million a year....

As for having XM programming on international service, perhaps the system will be something along the lines of prerecorded programs once the a/c reach the range of the signal, as XM does offer receivers that can records several hours of shows. Or perhaps the signal can be bounced off of other satellites other than Rock and Roll?

RAMPRAT980

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:42 am

Why not Sirius instead of XM this way we can listen to Howard Stern
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

Go3Team

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:26 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 31):
I am surprised that Sirius has yet to enter this niche of the market. They need to get into this segment so they can help pay Stern that $100 million a year....

That pretty much comes down to which company would be the better investment. Both companies are losing money, but Sirius way much moreso than XM. No one is going to want to invest time and money in equipment that may not work in a year from now.
Yay Pudding!

srbmod

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:35 am

Quoting RAMPRAT980 (Reply 32):

Because Sirius hasn't made known when or whether they're going to enter this niche. XM really has a headstart, not only with FL and B6 putting them onboard their a/c, but they also offer an XM WX system for general aviation a/c as well. There is an FAA-approved Sirius receiver made by a third party, but the company hasn't updated their site in over two years, so whether they'rel still around is unknown.

hiflyer

Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:13 am

I would suspect the 100 channel domestic and the 50 channel intl in the original post may be a clue...perhaps a different system other than domestic XM is involved for the international fleet. Re the 737's being first...they all had skyradio installed at one point...it's been awhile since the skyradio service worked....and recent pix seem to indicate they finally are removing that fairing off of the fleet as well. I also agree than the new service should include the existing channel 9. In regards to sirius vs XM...XM has been expanding and branching into different areas while sirius seems to have just concentrated on paying high bucks for talent...perhaps that is a clue there as well...especially the aviation weather feature of xm..perhaps UA is sniffing around at that capability as the carrier still appears to be very pilot oriented in the upper levels....pay notwithstanding..grin.

gigneil

Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:57 am

Because Sirius doesn't yet have the technology, nor have they officially attacked the space.

XM is making the right moves with the right people to get into a variety of markets, and XM is a few years ahead technology wise (Sirius had some capital problems at first).

N

toltommy

Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:35 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 34):
Because Sirius hasn't made known when or whether they're going to enter this niche. XM really has a headstart, not only with FL and B6 putting them onboard their a/c, but they also offer an XM WX system for general aviation a/c as well.

Its really too bad that Sirius hasn't jumped into the game. Their programming is much better. I have the portable MyFi XM in my car, wife has Sirius built in to hers. I said I'd give both a year, then pick one. I'm going with Sirius.

Sirius Canada is using the exact same channel line up, and adding the Canadian content to the US network, so it's obviou that they use the same satellite. I've never had any trouble with either radio when driving between Detroit and Toronto.

goaliemn

Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:47 am

They're aimed at North America..

I can guarantee you any airline carying any satellite service will block the adult channels. I doubt Opie and Anthony would be on board an aircraft, as well as their uncensored comedy channels.

uaord2000

Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:42 am

XM radio is great but what UA really needs is an excellent AVOD system on international flights. UA lacks behind the competition on international flights. Domestically, UA has audio and video programming on all aircraft (737 has only audio). I'm pretty sure that is still ahead of most domestic carriers.

-J

gigneil

Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:44 am

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 37):
Their programming is much better.

I have both XM and Sirius, and I used to agree with you.

Now, I don't. Sirius has been cutting and rearranging a lot of the content I listen to, and I feel like XM's quality continues to improve while Sirius' has begun to stagnate a bit.

They have invested a LOT in content that is not playing out.

N

deltadude

Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:07 am

Quoting Goaliemn (Reply 38):
I can guarantee you any airline carying any satellite service will block the adult channels. I doubt Opie and Anthony would be on board an aircraft, as well as their uncensored comedy channels.

AirTran does....I tried listening to O&A on the way to/from TPA and had to use the myFi. Punching out.....

thetuna

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:32 pm

I'd switch to UA if they carried XM. Hoo hoo hoo, ROBIN.

O&A party rock!
He just ate the big one! Hog!...get away from that thing!! Just get away from it!

STT757

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:46 pm

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 40):
I have both XM and Sirius,

I have XM and love it, but Im also a Howard Stern listener for 16 years so Im probably going to get Sirius and also keep XM.

I have the XM commander in my Mountainer, Im thinking of taking it out and either putting it in my fiancee's Volvo or using for our house. I want Sirius in my car, also I want Satelite radio in the house and my Fiancee's car. She has a brand new 2005 Volvo S40 but it's the only new Volvo that does not offer Satelite radio, the other Volvos come with Sirius as an option.

Im wondering should I wait and see if Volvo comes out with a Sirius radio I can easily install in her car or should I just take out the XM commander from my car and install it in hers?.

I have a little Mouse looking antenna for my XM commander that is located on my dash board, I get poor reception though in wooded areas (where I live). Is there a better solution for antennas?
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

goaliemn

Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:59 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 43):
I have XM and love it, but Im also a Howard Stern listener for 16 years so Im probably going to get Sirius and also keep XM.

Have you listened to Opie and Anthony? I was a die hard Stern guy until I heard them on ch 202. It replays alot during the day. Live in the AM.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 43):
I have a little Mouse looking antenna for my XM commander that is located on my dash board, I get poor reception though in wooded areas (where I live). Is there a better solution for antennas?

Move it to the outside of the vehicle. I moved mine from the dash to outside and it was night and day. Theres no way around that. Your car is blocking part of the view of the sky. Outside, it has a clear view of both satellites most of the time, and if trees are blocking one satellite, the roof of your car isn't blocking the other one.

gigneil

Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:44 am

Unfortunately, I'm a bad source for antenna info... I live inside a major city and therefore I have terrestrial repeater signal 100% of my day.

My move to Sirius was prompted by my lack of XM repeater signal in my basement. Now, I can listen to XM on Directv so my need for Sirius is lower. I was won over at first by Sirius' dance lineup (I'm gay, I can't help it) but its been slashed a fair bit.

Moving your on-dash antenna to your roof is a definite first step. Terk also makes a variety of rooftop magnet mount antennas with better gain and a larger profile you might want to investigate.

N

FA4UA
Topic Author

Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:38 am

Just read an article on thestreet.com that says XM has slightly more than 5 milion subscribers, Sirius has a little more than 2 milliion... just food for thought.

FA4UA

kurt

Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:05 am

We have DirecTV and the music channels were switched to XM on Nov. 15, I believe. It was MusicDirect before. Most of the most popular XM channels are there so it's a good thing. My roommate has XM in his car so he's happy to have some continuity.

STT757

Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:06 am

I wish XM and Sirius would merge!..

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 45):
Moving your on-dash antenna to your roof is a definite first step. Terk also makes a variety of rooftop magnet mount antennas with better gain and a larger profile you might want to investigate.

My fiancee has a new Volvo S40 with a Shark Fin on the roof as her radio antenna, is there some way to utilize the Fin for a Satelite antenna?

Also I got an E-mail from XM offering their Portable Myfi unit for $99 Dollars, is that something I could use in the Home?
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

gigneil

Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:53 am

You can use the Myfi in your house... just get the appropriate kits for it.

As for the shark fin, I don't know. I have a shark fin on my audi that receives fm, am, and xm both the sat and terrestrial, but my audi also had xm preinstalled.

N