ACB777
Topic Author

Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Question

Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:08 pm

Why is KLM no longer a partner of the Alaska Airlines Mileage Program?

rwsea

Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Question

Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:37 pm

Good Question. It was mysteriously dropped several months back, with no advance warning. Pretty crappy of them if you ask me - what if I had booked a KLM flight in advance hoping to get AS miles, and then it totally went away before my trip?

cschleic

RE: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Question

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:31 am

Hmmmm, that is interesting. Odd since they're still tied in with Northwest and Delta.

AirCop

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:46 am

Possible oneworld hookup of some kind coming down the road shortly. After all they have work with BA, OF, LA, CX etc.

cschleic

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:56 am

I've wondered about that. Although they've made a name for themselves partnering with many many carriers, I've found trying to use their miles on international flights not too easy. But Horizon probably gets a lot of feed traffic to NW flights, as well as the oneworld carriers.

Tango-Bravo

Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:20 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 1):
Pretty crappy of them if you ask me - what if I had booked a KLM flight in advance hoping to get AS miles, and then it totally went away before my trip?

A risk one takes when signing on with the FF program of an airline who never met another legacy airline (with the exception of UA and its Star Alliance cohorts) they didn't want to jump in bed with?

ASA_737

Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:08 am

The KLM agreement was dropped due to KL and AF joining together. AF wanted terms that Alaska would not agree too..therefore the codeshare and travel partner was dropped. Rumor is a new AF/KLM agreement has been made or is in the works and AF and KL will be Mileage Plan partners. We will have to wait and see.

rwsea

Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:26 am

Quoting Asa_737 (Reply 6):
The KLM agreement was dropped due to KL and AF joining together. AF wanted terms that Alaska would not agree too..therefore the codeshare and travel partner was dropped. Rumor is a new AF/KLM agreement has been made or is in the works and AF and KL will be Mileage Plan partners. We will have to wait and see.

I really hope that this is the case. BA is now the only partner from Europe on the AS mileage plan, and they only award 25% for most coach fares. AF/KL would really strengthen AS in this area.

Also, increased cooperation with AS could potentially lead to a SEA-CDG, which has been rumored for the past few years.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos