bpat777

Smoking Lounges In Major U.S. Airports

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:13 pm

Besides ATL, which major U.S. airports have a lounge or room that passengers can smoke between connecting flights?

N723GW

RE: Smoking Lounges In Major U.S. Airports

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:19 pm

MKE has one, they aren't HUGE like ATL, it's in a little bar between the D52 and the C terminal I beleive
The dude abides

ACDC8

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:19 pm

You can smoke at the Fox Sports Bar in DTW, but they get pissy if you don't buy anything.

Personally, I think that airports should provide closed off areas for smokers, especially for longhaul flyers. Wouldn't surprise me it the number of air rage incidents would go down as a result.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

727EMflyer

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:24 pm

LAX has one, at least, near the United gates. At HNL you can smoke anywhere that isn't enclosed

AeroWesty

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:30 pm

There are two huge ones behind the food court at CVG, one even has one of those "Have a light on us" thingies in the wall if you don't have matches or a lighter.
International Homo of Mystery

bpat777

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:32 pm

Are there any in ORD, specifically the UA and AA concourses? I plan on traveling with a smoker and with security lines unpredictable and only a hour connection, running out to the curbside is not an option.

N1120A

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:34 pm

Quoting 727EMflyer (Reply 3):
LAX has one, at least, near the United gates

Actually, the smoking "lounge" is in T6, which United shares with CO and a handfull of DL flights. It is not actually an enclosed space, as smoking is illegal in all enclosed public accomidation in the State of California. It is an outdoor terrace.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

optionscle

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:59 pm

BNA has at least one that I know of which is located on the A concourse.

BR715-A1-30

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:05 pm

Quoting Bpat777 (Reply 5):
Are there any in ORD, specifically the UA and AA concourses?

Absolutely not... I have a friend who works for Shuttle America, and he has to go into secret nooks and corridors just to have a smoke in between flights. He has to be careful, as the DOA will write up anybody who is caught smoking... Minimum fine is $100.00... Pretty gay if you ask me.
Puhdiddle

TPAnx

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:07 pm

TPA has outdoor areas..supposedly with electric lighters. Haven't tried them yet..indoor smoking area are closed. ATL has lounges..just walk in...take a normal breath, and you won't need a cigarette for hours. LAS is much the same...with slot machines.
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

N1120A

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:11 pm

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Reply 8):
Pretty gay if you ask me.

No, you are thinking of A.net, not an airport policy  Silly

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Reply 8):
Minimum fine is $100.00...

Good, it should be more.

kevindca

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:45 pm

One recently opened in MIA in terminal D near gate 34. It's outside, and it would actually be a nice place to take a break from the over-air conditioned Miami airport if not for all the smoke!

September11

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:51 pm

I was thinking of STL -- Concourse C (old TWA's main terminal) -- smoking lounge still there (in the middle of concourse)?

I am sure that LAS still (and will always) have smoking lounges.

[Edited 2005-12-05 05:52:50]
Airliners.net of the Future

lentigomaligna

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:52 pm

Ironically, SLC has them. Personally, I'm in favor of them. It keeps people who smoke from doing so outside where it bothers me as I have yet to be bothered by fumes from a smoking lounge. Though I don't smoke, it's an added convenience for passengers who do and in my opinion no reason why we shouldn't permit this convenience to them. I think this is one of the few exceptions to Utah's very strict Clean Air Act apart from Bars & Clubs (which may soon also be smoke-free).

N1120A

Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:00 pm

Quoting Lentigomaligna (Reply 13):
I think this is one of the few exceptions to Utah's very strict Clean Air Act apart from Bars & Clubs (which may soon also be smoke-free).

Utah's law is not strict in that case, as there are no exceptions in California, New York, Massachusetts, Toronto and several other places.

MKEdude

Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:26 pm

Not suprisingly RDU is pretty smoker-friendly.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

arffguy

Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:29 pm

Sacramento is curbside only. I once had a guy who needed to smoke so bad he went out the alarmed security door out to the stairway adjacent the jetbridge to smoke. I was sent to investigate. The sheriff's department was not at all polite with him. This was post 9/11 also. I would not care if they built a special smoking area for passengers. As stated before, maybe it would help some passengers deal with air travel better. The airline employees try to sneak a smoke under the concourse but they know we see them. The concourse is steel and concrete, there is very little to catch fire down there so I don't push the point. I need their cooperation for other things.
Time to spare, go by air.

deltagator

Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:30 pm

Quoting Bpat777 (Thread starter):
Besides ATL

Ah yes, the "Terrarium" rooms in the concourse. The walls are yellow from the smoke and everyone in there looks miserable. I thougt smoking was supposed to be fun and sexy?!

They do try to fancy it up out in the E Concourse where they call it the Concorde Room (or maybe lounge.)

I didn't pay too much attention in LHR but you can smoke in the Virgin Clubhouse. The old Clubhouse didn't segregate the smokers too much from the non-smokers so the whole place had a little bit too much odor of cigarette smoke.

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 15):

On the other hand, GSO is not so smoker friendly despite the nearby presence of RJ Reynolds. Though you can still smoke in the hospital in Winston-Salem.

[Edited 2005-12-05 06:34:19]
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

navairjax

Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:54 pm

IAD has a couple, located near international departure gates. There is only one that I saw in STL even though there are two listed on the directory. BNA also has one across from C-10. IND has a small one but oddly it is located outside security. BWI, MSY, MEM, and CLT have bars that permit smoking, but no lounges exclusively for the purpose. I know ORF and MHT had them, but I haven't been to either of those in the past five years.

FATFlyer

Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:00 pm

Quoting Arffguy (Reply 16):
Sacramento is curbside only.

Under California law it has to be 20 feet or more away from the doors.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

TonyBurr

Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:54 pm

MHT has two beyond seurity

hailstone

Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:24 pm

in RIC you can even smoke in the bar....that is tobacco state VA.

granted - you said MAJOR airport

flick70

Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:05 pm

Ok, as a smoker, and a frequent flyer, here is what I can contribute. Some are major....some aren't. Note that I am an AA frequent flyer, so I don't know about any other major airline private clubs.

I would love to see a new website with info on all airports regarding smoking. I hate not knowing if I have to stress on puffing one before getting on, or being leisure and then walking to the aircraft. I have seen a few websites, and they are grossly out of date:

OMA: 2 smoking lounges outside of security...home airport and I know the servers!  Smile Very quick security lines.

ORD: Allowed in Admirals (AA) clubs in alll concourses except G. Otherwise it is outside. Usually a very good in/out with security, go to the G or H side for re-entry.

PHL: Was allowed until recently, only outside now. Security is pure hell.

DFW: Allowed in Admirals (AA) clubs, otherwise outside. An easy entry/exit usually...very good security lines

DEN/DIA: Smoking lounge (Aviator's Club) in Concourse B (UA). 1 Drink minimum. If you move a bit you can get a fix w/o a drink. But the drinks are well done!  Smile Otherwise outside, and security is horrible.

SNA: All outside. Security is a major hassle. I hear that the Admiral's club allows it, but have not confirmed it.

MEM: Smoking allowed at Budweiser Brewhouse lounge.

PHX: Several lounges allow it, purchase required.

STL: Several smoking "aquariums" in the concourses. Usually packed, but always room for one more.

MSP: All outside, no security info

MDW: All outside, security typically has 15-45 mins wait

SEA: All outside, security can be bad.

CHA (Chattanooga): Smoking lounge outside of security. 10 min. average through security. Very nice small terminal BTW.

LAX: All outside. Security was reasonable there in the AA concourse.

MCO: All outside. Security is decent, but you have to travel a tram/train to terminals.

LAS: Smoking lounges inside most terminals. Yay Vegas!

DTW: All outside. Security a mixed blessing. Usually a long walk/ride to gates.

GSP (Greenville/Spartanburg): All outside. A serious black mark on a tobacco state. Very quick security though.

BUR: All outside. Average to below average security. They do have a little "courtyard" outside of security for smoking.

SAN: All outside. Mixed bag for security lines. 10 minutes minimum.

TPA: As of last trip, they had a very nice large enclosed smoking room inside security.

MIA: All outside except Admiral's Clubs. If your need one, expect to wait for security and then run a mile to your gate.

DAL: All outside smoking. But it is a small airport with a lot to do, easy security, and short walks to a gate.

MKE: Small smoking lounge in the Midwest terminal...inside security

Thats all I have off the top of my head. If I think of more, I will update.

Happy smoking!  Big grin
/// Braniff - We Get You There In Flying Colors /// (until Putnam got ahold of us)

tguman

Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:17 pm

I know this is not a US airport, but Calgary had two in the WestJet terminal area. One was close to the US preclearance area.

TGUman
Life is a Mine Field.

B6FA4ever

Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:58 pm

here are the airports i know of:

IAD - B concourse as well as D concourse (for sure) sidenote: in the B gate area lounge...very bad ventaliation system...you can just walk in w/o having to light up to get your fix *LOL*

LAX - Term 6

HNL - like mentioned above, pretty much anywhere thats not enclosed

LAS - pretty much a smoking lounge in all terminals

SLC

PSP - in the outside areas (inside security)

LGB - in between the boarding trailers (at least on the jetblue side)

thats all i can think of for now after a long day of flying today *LOL*

~B6FA4ever

cgnnrw

Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:53 pm

I'm an avid non-smoker and living in Europe has been a real challenge these 12 years. Yet I'm all for smoking lounges. Let's face it there are many white-knuckle fliers and there are several ways these people deal with their fear of flying:

1) take an expensive course and learn to overcome their fears
2) sweat it out and hope all goes well and not panic during the flight
3) pop a few pills and spend the entire flight unconcisous
4) spend time at the bar nearest the gate downing unlimited glasses of Whiskey and Scotch and board the plane "all liquored up"
5) spend time in a nearby smoker lounge and board the plane somewhat calmed down

I've been next to people who have chosen options 2-4 and it wasn't pleasant.
Personally I would prefer sitting next to someone who chose option 5, at least in an emergency they may be able to react and get out of the plane and not hinder other passengers.
A330 man.

Leneld

Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:14 pm

PDX has an enclosed one in the international section of Concourse D...Other than that, only curbside smoking is allowed.........

goaliemn

Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:53 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):
Utah's law is not strict in that case, as there are no exceptions in California, New York, Massachusetts, Toronto and several other places.

YYZ does have some smoking lounges in their airport. Enclosed lounges at that. They are part of some of the bars, which are smoke free everywhere else in Toronto.

ERJ170

Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:56 pm

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 15):

RDU has a smoking lounge or 2, but I don't think you can smoke in the terminal area. Perhaps 1 or 2 of the "bars" but that's about it. For the most part, RDU is pretty much smoke-free.
Aiming High and going far..

av8rphx

Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:08 pm

PHX has a smoking lounge on the Intl Concourse (High B side) by gate B23.

AeroWesty

Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:26 am

Quoting Leneld (Reply 26):
PDX has an enclosed one in the international section of Concourse D

When was the last time you tried to get in there? What used to be the Delta smoking room didn't look very operational when I was flying out on the red-eye to ATL in October.
International Homo of Mystery

N1120A

Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:29 am

Quoting Goaliemn (Reply 27):
YYZ does have some smoking lounges in their airport. Enclosed lounges at that. They are part of some of the bars, which are smoke free everywhere else in Toronto.

Interesting. Too bad they don't make the smokers freeze :-P

Hillbilliescot

Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:20 am

I don't remember where but RNO had a lounge

ual4me

Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:50 pm

Quoting Leneld (Reply 26):
PDX has an enclosed one in the international section of Concourse D...Other than that, only curbside smoking is allowed.........

I've flown on the NRT service from PDX a few times now-definitely no smoking past security. Where is this room you're talking about Leneld?
Where will this amount of cash take me?

irelayer

Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:29 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 17):
On the other hand, GSO is not so smoker friendly despite the nearby presence of RJ Reynolds. Though you can still smoke in the hospital in Winston-Salem.

Seriously??? That's insane.

-IR

deltairlines

Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:31 pm

I'm pretty sure that GSO has a smoking area in the restaurant past security (on the US/DL concourse). I don't know for sure (I don't smoke), but I seem to recall signs saying that. Don't know about the NW/CO concourse (I've arrived there a couple of times, but never departed from there).

Jeff

bananaboy

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:26 am

Quoting Bpat777 (Reply 5):
Are there any in ORD, specifically the UA and AA concourses? I plan on traveling with a smoker and with security lines unpredictable and only a hour connection, running out to the curbside is not an option.

If you or your friend has access to the Red Carpet Club, at least the one on the C Concourse has a sizeable smoking lounge.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

bhmbaglock

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:40 am

Quoting Lentigomaligna (Reply 13):
as I have yet to be bothered by fumes from a smoking lounge

Have you walked by one in ATL? The smoke in there is horrible. I have friends who are heavy smokers and won't even go in.
Where are all of my respected members going?

AirScoot

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:49 am

I thought MSP you could smoke in the WorldClub? I remember being stuck there and asking if there was anywhere aside from outside.. and they mentioned it.. but I didn't have a membership.

Also, MCO - did they finally make the (Anchor Bar?) over by the DL gates non-smoking? Used to be the only place you could..

I remember when it was also allowed in the international pier.. which was funny watching people run over to the Brazil flights, have a cigarette, then run back their own respective gates.

ALB2ATL

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:58 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 17):
Ah yes, the "Terrarium" rooms in the concourse. The walls are yellow from the smoke and everyone in there looks miserable. I thougt smoking was supposed to be fun and sexy?!

The funniest thing I have ever read on these increasingly boring forums!

double LOL!

btw - I smoke in there (ATL "terrariums") and feel like a reject!

visityyj

Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:52 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 35):
I'm pretty sure that GSO has a smoking area in the restaurant past security (on the US/DL concourse). I don't know for sure (I don't smoke), but I seem to recall signs saying that. Don't know about the NW/CO concourse (I've arrived there a couple of times, but never departed from there).

GSO has an excellent smoking lounge before security, beside the food court. It overlooks the ramps: http://www.ptia.org/map_upper.asp

Bridogger6

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:00 am

Quoting Av8rPHX (Reply 29):
PHX has a smoking lounge on the Intl Concourse (High B side) by gate B23.

yep this is true, you can also smoke in any of the bars in the concourses in phx... but they do get mad if you don't buy a drink!

rentonview

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:35 pm

It'll probably get a lot more difficult to smoke at SEA once the new statewide smoking ban goes into effect Dec. 8th. It prohibits smoking within 25 feet of any door, window, or ventilation system intake. There aren't a whole lot of areas at SEA outside the terminal that could accommodate those restrictions, except perhaps across the airport drive around the parking garage/ground transportation area. That's a long way from the end of the concourses, not to mention the North and South satellites, accessible only by train!

To be honest, the constant nightmare of trying to find smoking areas when traveling was one of the key reasons why I quit smoking two years ago, and it's one of the things I remind myself of when I get the urge to smoke again (hasn't happened, fortunately). For a smoker, being trapped in an area where you can't smoke for an extended period is truly terrorizing. That said, it's only a matter of time before the remaining smoking areas in public places (even outdoors) cease to exist, at least in the USA... it's just the way things are heading.

Perhaps the strict new rules will encourage more people to quit, but I fear that they will really just make smokers more anxious and uncomfortable. It takes a lot more than just discomfort to break an addiction to nicotine, though. For you non-smokers out there who relish the idea of smokers huddling in some yellow-encrusted terrarium, show some compassion! Unless you've suffered from nicotine addiction yourself (or an addiction to heroin), you have no right to judge smokers as simply people with a "bad habit."

navairjax

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:39 pm

A note about airports in Florida. As of July 2003 all airports went smoke free due to the state's clean indoor air act. TPA quickly drew up plans to create airside outdoor smoking areas and now has at least two of these outdoor lounges. I am not aware of any other airports in the state with similar facilities.

HPLASOps

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:09 pm

Actually, LAS has four alone in the A/B concourse, two of them complete with slot machines....now if they only had cocktail waitresses.......
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe