Venezuela747
Topic Author

Question About Name On Reservation?

Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:44 am

Ok so my family and I are flying DEN-ATL this January. Here is the problem: my dad and I have pretty much the same name except for I have a middle name and he doesn't, we have the same name and last name....here is the issue, he is going to travel roundtrip and he is going to pay it with his credit card, my flight is oneway but will be paid with the same credit card.....will airtran see this as a mistake or a glitch and eliminate my reservation?

We have flown together before but we have always been under the same reservation and havent had any problems, this is the first time we fly separetly
ROLL TIDE!!!

DLPMMM

RE: Question About Name On Reservation?

Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:46 am

If you use your middle initial in your reservation, it should not be a problem.

Leskova

Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:47 am

Put in the middle name as well - that way, it'll be somewhat discernable that it's two different people; not sure how it works if you book through their website, but - if I were you - I'd call Airtran after you made the bookings to ensure that they put some type of note into the system so they know it's two different people.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

EA CO AS

Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:29 am

Definitely use your middle name, or at least your middle initial. While I don't know if AirTran uses it, most airlines use systems like Airline Automation Incorporated's "Super Dupe Snooper" that looks for duplicate (and therefore unnecessary wastes of space) bookings and cancels the older of the two, assuming the more recent booking must clearly be the one the customer really wants.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

kiwiandrew

Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:38 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 3):
Definitely use your middle name, or at least your middle initial. While I don't know if AirTran uses it, most airlines use systems like Airline Automation Incorporated's "Super Dupe Snooper" that looks for duplicate (and therefore unnecessary wastes of space) bookings and cancels the older of the two, assuming the more recent booking must clearly be the one the customer really wants.

oh yes , I had a major problem a couple of years ago with a client on QF who was travelling with his father who had exactly the same name ( no offense , Venezuela747 , but didn't your parents have any imagination?  Wink ) the 'system' kept picking it up as a duplicate booking - it was cancelled about 5 times by the automated system , each time we had to ring QF yield control in SYD and get them to re-instate - at first it was amusing , but the more it kept happening ( and the fuller the flight got ) the more difficult it was - the really terrible thing was that it took QF staff several attempts before they could figure out how to override the checking software .

Fortunately , in New Zealand and Australia , where I used to work , people don't often name their kids exactly the same as themselves - my understanding ( please correct me if I am wrong ) is that it is not uncommon in the Americas - could any TA's there tell me whether they have found a way around this ? I believe , for some of the software systems , it helps if you enter different phone numbers / email addresses for each pax .

luisde8cd

Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:47 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 4):
Fortunately , in New Zealand and Australia , where I used to work , people don't often name their kids exactly the same as themselves - my understanding ( please correct me if I am wrong ) is that it is not uncommon in the Americas

It is pretty common here in Venezuela. I'm in the same situation of Venezuela747. I have the same name as my father. We've always flown together with no problem.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

kiwiandrew

Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:51 am

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 5):
It is pretty common here in Venezuela. I'm in the same situation of Venezuela747. I have the same name as my father. We've always flown together with no problem.

thanks Luis

If you and your Dad do ever decide to visit Australia or New Zealand together make sure you have a talk to QF reservations when you make your booking  biggrin 

bullpitt

Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:07 am

Hi all In Spain we don't have this problem as we use two surnames the first of the father and the second is the first of the mother therefore even if you have the same name as your dad it's very difficult (Although not impossible) that your second surname will coincide.

As a reservation agent this helps a lot.

By the way I thought this would be the same in Venezuela?
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

chase

Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:16 am

How about using "Jr" and "Sr"?
I once flew on a group trip STL-DAY-EWR-MUC and there was another guy in our group of 20 or so people who had almost the same name as me. He was John instead of Jon, but we had the same middle initial and same last name. The airline (TW) *had* assumed we were one person, and it caused me to not get my VGML  Sad

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos