aseem

DEL To Beat Fog This Time

Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:54 am

Airport gets gadgets to beat fog
All vehicles that have access to the Delhi Airport tarmac will be fitted with transponders by December 15. Vehicles without transponders will be banned entry, the Airport Authority of India (AAI) has warned.

December 15 is also the date when the Category III B Instrument Landing System (CAT IIIB ILS) — a mechanism that will enable planes to land even in 50 metre visibility — will be made operational. "When an aircraft starts landing at such low visibility, it forces airlines and other airport agencies to ferry passengers and officials in vehicles from the aircraft. This increases the chance of the vehicles colliding either with each other or with an aircraft," said an official. The transponders, which cost up to Rs 20,000 will prevent such collisions.

Hindustan Times
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

LAXDESI

RE: DEL To Beat Fog This Time

Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:13 am

Good news. My daughter is scheduled to fly LAX-FRA-DEL on Dec. 17 and on to MAA by Sahara. I am a bit concerned about fog related delays at DEL. Do AI pilots have training for CAT 3B or is it just IC pilots? I remember one AI flight that I took in 90s that could not land in LHR due to fog.

HAWK21M

RE: DEL To Beat Fog This Time

Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:18 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 1):
Good news. My daughter is scheduled to fly LAX-FRA-DEL on Dec. 17 and on to MAA by Sahara. I am a bit concerned about fog related delays at DEL. Do AI pilots have training for CAT 3B or is it just IC pilots? I remember one AI flight that I took in 90s that could not land in LHR due to fog.

Normally fog hits at end of Dec.This year is trend looks bad & might strike Early.

Both AI & IC Pilots are certified.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)