WDBRR
Topic Author

Had Valujet Bought Kiwi?

Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:15 pm

Back in 1997, Valujet suffered from an image problem and bought the Orlando based AirTran Airways to shed it's name and do a complete makeover.
At the time, Newark based Kiwi International airlines was also struggling.
IMO Kiwi was better known name than the orginal Airtran based in Orlando.
Anyone have any thoughts if Valujet had bought Kiwi instead of Airtran?
Ironically, Tad Hutcheson was in upper management at Kiwi before he
jumped ship to Valujet/Airtran where he is now. Just some thoughts.

AirCop

RE: Had Valujet Bought Kiwi?

Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:18 pm

I believe Kiwi went to the land of its namesake, it became grounded. Never to be heard from again.

beertrucker

Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:33 pm

I think it was a good move to buy Airtran. I used to work for Valujet. I do miss working the ramp with them. It was a very laid back and fun place to work. And we did care about what happened. I remember when the crash happened. There were 2 people going to the city I worked at on that plane. Until you work for an airline that is small and they don't have a huge amount of employees. You never really notice how people come together for the smaller airlines to help through it. We had people from just about every airline stopping in and helping us through it. It was a hard week for us. And even more so for the ones who had to tell the family members about the crash. But I think they made the right call in buying Airtran. If they bought kiwi I don;t think it would have helped Valujet get over what happened. But I wish they still had the famous Critter somewhere on the planes. Anyways that is my idea of it. And yes I would work for them again any chance I got. But now that I own my own business. Don't have a lot of time for something like that. Long live Critter.
Fly HI

AirCop

Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:54 pm

Oops I read that wrong, sorry about that. Valujet and Kiwi won't have worked out. Kiwi was out school with Ex-Eastern pilots and flying old 727 and attempting to take on the big boys. Airtran was already established out of Orlando flying to smaller cities were their was no competition.

quickmover

Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:03 pm

I have to believe that those 727s that Kiwi flew would be disasterous with 60 dollar oil. Kiwi had a very good reputation for service, however.