airtran737

Are All NW Replacement Mechanics Fired?

Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:05 pm

Today in MKE I saw a guy with a Swissport coat on. He stopped to talk when he recognized me. He is the former Director of Maintenance for ZW in MKE and now with Swissport. He told me that they had taken over all aircraft maintenance for NW and that all of the replacement mechanics had been fired. Is this happening anywhere else, or is MKE it so far?
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

m404

RE: Are All NW Replacement Mechanics Fired?

Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:36 pm

How many NW mechs were/are in MKE? I've not heard about this but since they have no contract anything is possible. Very sure this, if any replacing is true, would only be at a few stations and to work that could be taken elsewhere.

[Edited 2005-12-06 08:38:57]
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

MarshalN

Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:52 pm

I can't imagine they can outsource the MX work to anybody else at one of their hubs.... I doubt anyone has that much capacity.

airtran737

Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:09 pm

Quoting M404 (Reply 1):
How many NW mechs were/are in MKE? I've not heard about this but since they have no contract anything is possible

Before the strike there were about thirty mechanics. NW overnights six mainline aircraft here every night. Three 757's and three A319/20's. All aircraft recieve a full line check, and anything else that is needed. In MKE NW has the ability to do full engine changes as well. It's crazy that they would replace their replacements, were they costing that much money?
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

goaliemn

Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:48 pm

Replacements in MSP and DTW were permanently hired. Approximately 480 strikers crossed the picket line. 880 total hired between the 2 locations.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1778/5765576.html

MidnightMike

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:26 pm

Really classy of the AMFA Union to launch this type of website..

http://www.amfa33.org/strike/scabs.htm
NO URLS in signature

slider

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:35 pm

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 5):

Incredible....

Yeah, god forbid these guys actually looked out for their FAMILY and LIVELIHOOD first before the anonymous thronging masses lead by a corrupt and misguided union.

Calling them selfish with no principals or morals (BTW, it's "PRINCIPLES" you dumb fucks!!), is borderline slander. Saying that they're ruining people's lives?

Boy, I'd say that's actionable. Or at least rattle the sabre enough to get AMFA to capitulate like the tough talking weenies they are.

I commend those men for doing what they felt is right--they owe no obligation to their union; their first obligation is to be providers and breadwinners--professional mechanics and technicians--not union lapdogs.

DeltaGuy

Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:26 am

Funny stuff in there, about the Scab Evaluation. One thing's for sure though, their names are down in blood, and goodluck trying to ever get hired by another union company in this lifetime.

I saw a NW A319 come into JAX the other day, on either engine nacelle, written in the dirt/grease on it, said "Die Scabs" in about 1' high letters.  bomb 

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

MaverickM11

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:01 am

Are you surprised?
E pur si muove -Galileo

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:05 am

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 7):
Yeah, god forbid these guys actually looked out for their FAMILY and LIVELIHOOD first before the anonymous thronging masses lead by a corrupt and misguided union.

So, the rest of the striking AMFA members (3000+) that have not crossed the picket line are not looking out for their families livelihood???? How about the corrupt and misguided upper management????

Calling them selfish with no principals or morals (BTW, it's "PRINCIPLES" you dumb fucks!!), is borderline slander. Saying that they're ruining people's lives?

To cross a picket line you have no morals or principles,end of story.

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:11 am

Sorry DeltaGuy I was quoting Slider, some reason it came up as quoting you.

bobnwa

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:14 am

Quoting Dokken10 (Reply 9):
How about the corrupt and misguided upper management????

Can you give us some examples of the "corrupt" upper management at Northwest?

MaverickM11

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:14 am

I could argue that to be in a union, you must lack the intelligence or drive to get and retain a high paying job, and as proof I need only to point to the above scab website.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Flaps

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:16 am

Dokken10

Sorry, I have to disagree. To cross a picket line you need exceptionally strong morals and principles. You also need a good strong spine. Anyone can hunker down with 3000 brothers and "show strength". It takes real moral conviction to stand up and cross those lines. How many of the "brotherhood" are just too scared to stand up for themselves??????

lightsaber
Crew

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:17 am

I wonder why unions don't understand the old scare tactics backfire today? The new trick of making a company look bad, as in the Walmart campaign, seems to be much more effective.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 8):
Are you surprised?

Unfortunately, no.

One thing's for sure though, their names are down in blood, and goodluck trying to ever get hired by another union company in this lifetime.

Yea, but it goes the other way too. Besides, if they're working for NW... they're not looking for another job.

Quoting Slider (Reply 6):
I commend those men for doing what they felt is right--they owe no obligation to their union; their first obligation is to be providers and breadwinners--professional mechanics and technicians--not union lapdogs.

checkmark 

I hope NW pulls through. Otherwise, we'll never know what they'll replace the DC-9's with!  duck 

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:54 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 12):

In the early 90s NWA owned most of their A/C, along comes Cheeci and Wilson and start a Company called Wings something (sorry I can't remember the correct name) and shift ownership of NWA A/C to this company and lease the A/C back to NWA. They also stated "Debt is our friend" and look what that friend has done now. The state of Minnesota gave NWA millions (early 90's)for the Duluth base and other facitilies and never lived up to their promises and still owe millions to the taxpayers. Today they are still trying to get MAC and the state to pay for MSP airport expansion with the promise of thousands of jobs. NWA upper management's pensions are in a trust fund and are untouchable in BK but they want to dump the employee's pension on the US taxpayers. The employees will receive less than half of what was promised and NWA could have made the pension whole when they were setting record profits in the mid and late 90s.

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:04 am

Please give examples of the corruption in AMFA?

MidnightMike

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:09 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 8):

Are you surprised?

Not really, just disappointed.
NO URLS in signature

LUVRSW

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:14 am

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 11):

Once again Bob, you ask for examples, defending NWA management. Are you their public relations officer?

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:19 am

Being an A/P technician for 15 years now I've worked for non-union and union shops. How many of you have worked for an union?

bobnwa

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:23 am

Quoting LUVRSW (Reply 18):
Once again Bob, you ask for examples, defending NWA management. Are you their public relations officer?

NWA management is hardly blame free particularly Wilson and Cheechi but they are hardly corrupt.

Quoting Dokken10 (Reply 15):
Today they are still trying to get MAC and the state to pay for MSP airport expansion

Do you think this is unusal for an airport authority to pay to expand its own airport?

but they want to dump the employee's pension on the US taxpayers

This is not true!

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:32 am

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 20):
but they want to dump the employee's pension on the US taxpayers

This is not true

The PDGC (US government) will take over the pension plan. Where do you think the money will come from?

MaverickM11

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:38 am

Quoting Dokken10 (Reply 19):
How many of you have worked for an union?

I have, but then I had no choice. If I wanted the job I had to be in the union. It was like an Iranian election. You can vote for whomever you please as long as it's the one approved guy.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:42 am

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 20):
Today they are still trying to get MAC and the state to pay for MSP airport expansion

Do you think this is unusal for an airport authority to pay to expand its own airport?

MAC did not come up with the idea of expanding the gates!! NWA is pushing the idea with the promise of adding more jobs. With their past record and the massive lay-offs that have been going on recently do you think its wise to give NWA what they want? If you gave money to someone and they did not pay you back or live up to their promises would you give them more money?

gigneil

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:50 am

So, the rest of the striking AMFA members (3000+) that have not crossed the picket line are not looking out for their families livelihood????

Simply put no, they aren't. They're lounging at home with a beer living off their savings or spouse's incomes all the while whining about unfair treatment.

That's crap.

The morality of unions in general is to do the least amount of work for the most pay. Its practically antithetic to the American dream.

N

AF-A319

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:54 am

It's funny, because in Europe, we also think that America is a land of entrepreneurship, freedom and self-accomplishement! Needless to say that the behaviour of some of your unions does not fit well with this image of the US!

MaverickM11

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:58 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 24):
The morality of unions in general is to do the least amount of work for the most pay.

To be fair, that's the underlying motivation of just about every living thing on earth--get the most utility while expending the least "cost".
E pur si muove -Galileo

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:58 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 22):
Quoting Dokken10 (Reply 19):
How many of you have worked for an union?

I have, but then I had no choice. If I wanted the job I had to be in the union. It was like an Iranian election. You can vote for whomever you please as long as it's the one approved guy

I have worked for the IAM and AMFA and the IAM worked that way. That was one of the big reasons we voted them out of NWA. AMFA does not work that way. Was working in an union bad? Please give examples?

MidnightMike

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:07 am

Quoting AF-A319 (Reply 25):
It's funny, because in Europe, we also think that America is a land of entrepreneurship, freedom and self-accomplishement! Needless to say that the behaviour of some of your unions does not fit well with this image of the US!

Funny that you mentioned that, Unions started off with the best of intentions, but over the years, some of the Unions have become just as greedy, or greedier than Management. For that, I refer to the quote of the Union Pilot Management. "We do not wish to kill the golden goose, but, we want to choke it for all of its eggs."

Am I saying are the Unions at fault for the problems at the airlines, no, I am not....
NO URLS in signature

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:13 am

So, the rest of the striking AMFA members (3000+) that have not crossed the picket line are not looking out for their families livelihood????

Simply put no, they aren't. They're lounging at home with a beer living off their savings or spouse's incomes all the while whining about unfair treatment.
Far from the truth, most are working at other jobs.

That's crap.

The morality of unions in general is to do the least amount of work for the most pay. Its practically antithetic to the American dream.

Stop lying!!! Again I've worked for both union and non-union and A/C checks went out in about the same amount of time. The quality of union work is a lot higher than in non-union shops. You would not believe the amount of pencil whipping and poor workmanship at non-union shops that I've seen.

MaverickM11

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:16 am

Quoting Dokken10 (Reply 27):
Was working in an union bad? Please give examples?

Well, for starters, a portion of my paycheck went to support a cause that I did not want, nor believe in, nor did anything for me. But that's really beside the point. I never said working for a union is bad. Working in a union shop is necessarily easier than a non union shop. If it weren't, then the union is doing something seriously wrong. My problem with unions are the long term effects they have on the economy, and they are all detrimental not only to others, but to themselves.

Quoting Dokken10 (Reply 29):
The quality of union work is a lot higher than in non-union shops

I don't buy that for a second.

[Edited 2005-12-06 19:19:55]
E pur si muove -Galileo

gigneil

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:20 am

Lying? You can't really lie about an opinion.

I work in telecommunications. The hands-on part of the field is pretty well split union/non union. When I have to engage union labor I pay often 5 times as much, the project *always* takes several times as long, and the quality is at best comparable if not below that of non-union teams.

The other reason I don't agree with you on non-union work quality is that if an employee underdelivers at a non-union shop, they get fired. If they underdeliver at a union shop, they're safe and secure for life.

I have always worked hard at my career, and when I was younger I was well motivated not just by advancement, but also the knowledge that if I screwed up I could lose pay, lose a promotion, or lose my job.

N

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:21 am

Far from the truth. Most are working,going to school or looking for new jobs. Who are you to say what anyone does with their savings!!!! IF they are living off their spouses income don't you think it must be OK with the spouse?

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:30 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 31):
The other reason I don't agree with you on non-union work quality is that if an employee underdelivers at a non-union shop, they get fired. If they underdeliver at a union shop, they're safe and secure for life.

Please show me were it is impossible to fire an union employee. There is the grievance process that protects someone from being fired at will without just cause. I've seen plenty off people get fired at union shops and lose in the grievance process.

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:46 am

When I have to engage union labor I pay often 5 times as much

5 times as much???? Are you hiring illegal immigrants? I've never seen a payscale with that much difference. This is a aviation forum not telecommunication forum.

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:52 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 30):
The quality of union work is a lot higher than in non-union shops

I don't buy that for a second.

In my 15 years as an A/P I can tell you from 1st hand experience what I have seen.

flashmeister

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:59 am

If you have no dependents, then few people would care much if you starved as a result of your stubborn adherance to the union cause.

When you have a family, though, the moral and principled choice is whatever is in their best interest. Meeting the mortgage and putting food on the table are two of their best interests, and most of the time, that path leads through a job. When your blessed union steps up to pay your house payment and feed your kids, then fine, do whatever you want. We both know they won't do that.

Having others unnecessarily suffer at the hands of a foolish, completely worthless union action is downright selfish.

Have you seen some of the utter garbage that's come out of AMFA's strike briefing memos? Here's a couple of snippets:

(Regarding those who cross picket lines): "My mind reels at the thought that if this is what our generation is made of then I thank god we were never called on for a task such as that of winning WWII."

(The state of the picket lines): "So when you look at it our strike is still strong, then men and women of dignity far outweigh the panty soiling filth that have crossed our lines."

These are from AMFA's website. (see http://www.amfanatl.org/Pages/15_Strike_Info/Strike%20Updates/Strike_Update_Day101-103_11-30-05.pdf)

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the one who paid these guys to look out for my job...

[Edited 2005-12-06 20:18:03]

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:00 am

Quoting Dokken10 (Reply 34):
When I have to engage union labor I pay often 5 times as much

Sorry I have seen pay scales with a big difference. Union and non-union pilots.

bhmbaglock

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:21 am

Quoting AF-A319 (Reply 25):
Needless to say that the behaviour of some of your unions does not fit well with this image of the US!

That's why the majority of the growth in manufacturing is in right to work states.

Quoting Dokken10 (Reply 33):
Please show me were it is impossible to fire an union employee. There is the grievance process that protects someone from being fired at will without just cause. I've seen plenty off people get fired at union shops and lose in the grievance process.

If it's not a right to work state and the union management are not interested in the best interests of the company it is indeed this way. I saw it happen when I worked at Boeing in PA. We had a machinist who absolutely would not change the cutting tools at his workstation - near 100% rejects because of the ragged holes he was putting in parts for CH-47Ds.

My roommate who was a manufacturing engineer finally got sick of it and went in at night and changed all the tools. Knucklehead files a grievance against him and damn near gets him fired for doing work reserved for union employees. So he jumps through all the proper hoops and get's the idiot fired. Mgt goes to the union, asks for a new employee to fill this position. Union says, no. We're not filling this position (or any other for that matter) until our brother is re-hired. The company ended up re-hiring him.

This is why I am strictly for right to work states. Without the right to hire outside the union in cases like this there are too many opportunities for abuse. Also, I think it violates the rights of any individual who wants a job but has no use for the union and doesn't want to join.
Where are all of my respected members going?

MaverickM11

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:29 am

Quoting Dokken10 (Reply 35):
In my 15 years as an A/P I can tell you from 1st hand experience what I have seen.

It's not economically possible. When you remove the incentives/disincentives for increased quality/efficiency/performance, you inherently will see a drop in all three measures.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:35 am

With all the outsourcing of good paying American jobs at what point do all of you say enough is enough? AMFA members draw a line in the sand to try to keep skilled good paying jobs and you all bash them for doing it. Do you all think that your jobs are untouchable? Upper management salaries keep increasing and the middle class is in a downward spiral with no end in sight. The cost of living keeps going up and up and wages are going down,down,down. Scabs are defeating the purpose. You are all thinking in the short term not the long term.

MaverickM11

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:42 am

Quoting Dokken10 (Reply 40):
try to keep skilled good paying jobs

If they're "skilled" jobs, how come they can never find employment when they lose said jobs?

Do you all think that your jobs are untouchable?

Absolutely not.

The cost of living keeps going up

True.

and wages are going down

False.

You are all thinking in the short term not the long term

It's the opposite. The unions, and a lot of management, are all thinking short term. That's why they are in the position they are in currently.
E pur si muove -Galileo

zvezda

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:58 am

http://www.amfa33.org/strike/scabs.htm

What else could one expect from a protection racket? Ethical behavior?  Yeah sure

syncmaster

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:13 am

I could not agree more.

Stop lying!!!

I can't even begin to count the number of times I've seen AMFA employees sleeping on the job. Lord forbid they actually do their job.  sarcastic 

Scabs are defeating the purpose.

Scabs just want to pay their bills, if being a scab does that for them, then thats their choice. If you don't like what your employer has to offer, then that it soley your problem, move on.

bobnwa

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:17 am

Quoting Dokken10 (Reply 21):
The PDGC (US government) will take over the pension plan. Where do you think the money will come from?

Obviously you are not following the NWA pension situation. NWA along with AA,DL,CO and ALPA, PFAA,TWU, APFA are jointly encouraging congress to pass HR2830 (Pension Relief Act) to preserve airline pensions. It allows the airlines to draw out payments to their pension funds but retains the value of the pensions. This is unlike UA and US who did turn over their pensions to the US government. Northwest has never said it intended to turn its pensions over to the government. Suggest a little research on your part.

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:18 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 41):
try to keep skilled good paying jobs

If they're "skilled" jobs, how come they can never find employment when they lose said jobs?

Are you saying A/P tech's are not skilled? Most are finding new jobs myself included.

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:21 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 41):
and wages are going down

False.

WHAT????

Dokken10

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:23 am

Quoting Syncmaster (Reply 43):
Stop lying!!!

I can't even begin to count the number of times I've seen AMFA employees sleeping on the job. Lord forbid they actually do their job.

More details on this?

andrewuber

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:24 am

A SCAB is the first step in HEALING.

I am proud to employ quite a few "scabs", and we have taken over quite a few AMFA jobs!

More are coming soon too!  bigthumbsup 
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

MaverickM11

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:25 am

Quoting Dokken10 (Reply 45):
Are you saying A/P tech's are not skilled?

The common (union) complaint is that these 'highly qualified and skilled workers cannot find work once they are terminated'. This is a paradox, as they can't be highly qualified and skilled AND not be able to get any remotely comparable work otherwise.
E pur si muove -Galileo