pmg1704

US Airways' Flight To The North Pole

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:40 am

I saw some footage of this on the local news, and what a great event it is. The best part is that the kids and parents get on the plane, close the windowshades (to avoid hurting the reindeer's eyes) the jet changes gates, and they deplane at another gate where Santa and the whole crew is there to greet them.

See some pictures here.

US AIRWAYS NORTH POLE FANTASY FLIGHT TO OFFER SPECIAL HOLIDAY TREAT TO N.Y. CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL PATIENTS

ARLINGTON, Va., Dec. 3, 2004 -- Media are invited to join employees from US Airways and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey at LaGuardia Airport tomorrow where patients from Schneider Children’s Hospital in New Hyde Park, N.Y., and their family members will board a US Airways aircraft for a fantasy "Trip To The North Pole."

The children will board the US Airways jet from Gate 21 at approximately 11 a.m. While onboard, the children will be treated to holiday music and cheer as the aircraft taxis about the airport property. The children will deplane Santa’s holiday flight at US Airways Gate 12, where they will visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus in their workshop and receive a special gift from Santa.

Santa's Fantasy Flight originally was created by a group of retired Eastern Airlines flight attendants called the Silverliners. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express employees have teamed up with the Silverliners to continue this special holiday tradition. This is the twelfth year that US Airways has participated in this event.

Reporters needing additional information should contact US Airways Corporate Affairs at (703) 872-5100.

AirCop

RE: US Airways' Flight To The North Pole

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:43 am

I believe WN does a similar event in PHX, but they actually leave the ground. Still its a very good cause.

cmb320

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:59 am

A "fantasy flight" that doesn't even leave the ground? It seems the plane should go up for at least a few minutes.

mhodgson

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:04 am

Perhaps that is to be a special suprise that they don't expect? Seems a bit naff, but then fuel is expensive...
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

uswyjer

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:03 am

Continental and I believe United did flights like these up at BDL for the CT Children's Hospital back in the 90s, I vaguely remember they would taxi out the runway, speed down the runway, slow down and then pull off returning to the gate where Santa and elves would be, having set up when the plane was away from the gate. Always a great cause!

cle757

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:37 am

CO flight from CLE to North Pole delights children

CLE held its annual fantasy flight to the North Pole Saturday for more than 70 terminally ill children and their families. The special passengers boarded CO’s Flight 9991 at Gate C2 for their “taxi flight” to the North Pole. Volunteers from ATO, Terminal Ops, Tech Ops, Facility Maintenance, Finance, Chelsea, EDS, as well as other vendors and CO’s TSA partners helped transform Gates C19 - C21 into a winter wonderland, complete with Christmas trees, gingerbread men, hand-wrapped gifts for the children and, of course, Santa and Mrs. Claus and their elfin assistants. Volunteers from CLE Inflight and Flight Ops also donated their time to ensure an enjoyable, comfortable ride.
Cleveland the best location in the Nation

DLX737200

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:47 am

What about when it's time to leave the north pole? Do they get back on the plane and taxi again and get the gate back to normal for their return, making them think they're home now? Or do they just walk of the airport with them thinking they're still at the north pole?

-Justin

chase

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:01 am

TZ did this at IND in years past. Originally the flight left the ground, but then they stopped doing that due to fuel costs.

My question, though, is: How do the kids get home from the "North Pole"? Do they taxi around a second time (doubtful), or use "Santa's Magic Transporter" or ...? Seriously, if anybody knows, I'd really like to know what they tell the kids regarding the return trip home.

burnsie28

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:07 am

Northwest used to or still does it with a 747 at MSP.

cle757

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:40 am

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 6):
What about when it's time to leave the north pole? Do they get back on the plane and taxi again and get the gate back to normal for their return, making them think they're home now? Or do they just walk of the airport with them thinking they're still at the north pole?

-Justin

In CLe they just had the kids board buses to take them back home, but judging by the looks on their faces I dont think they cared. They seemed to really have a great time.

kyair

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:42 am

Quoting Pmg1704 (Thread starter):
ARLINGTON, Va., Dec. 3, 2004 --

Looks like this is last year's "flight". Are they doing it this year too? I think all new USAirways press releases have a Tempe, AZ dateline.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened - Dr. Seuss

PSAjet17

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:37 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 1):
I believe WN does a similar event in PHX

Actually, UA did it on December 2nd in PHX on an A320 for the homeless children who attend the Thomas J Pappas Elementary School

Flight to the North Pole

cle757

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:57 am

Another Continental Story!

North Pole flight brings joy to children in Orlando

More than 140 terminally ill children and their families were treated Saturday to a fantasy “flight” to the North Pole from Orlando, Fla. (MCO). At the 10th annual event, volunteers from management, ATO, OPS, Admin, Tech Ops, as well as other vendors, helped transform the hangar into a winter wonderland, complete with Christmas trees, face painting, live entertainment, hand-wrapped gifts for the children and, of course, Santa Claus. Co-workers from IAH and CLE Inflight and Flight Ops volunteered to help and ensured the children had a happy holiday “flight” experience.

SonOfACaptain

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:06 am

Quoting CMB320 (Reply 2):
A "fantasy flight" that doesn't even leave the ground? It seems the plane should go up for at least a few minutes.

Well, fuel costs are quite expensive these days, not to mention that LGA is slot-contolled, and US isn't going to give up a slot for this kind of flight.

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

kbuf737

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:10 am

We have one up here in BUF too, this really is a wonderful and generous thing for the airlines to do. Offer their equipment, man power and gate space so that those who are disadvantaged may also be able to enjoy the gift of flight which so many people take for granted.

-KBUF
The tower? Rapunzel!!!!!!

redngold

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:16 am

Another problem is that some of the children may be so ill that they cannot fly.
Up, up and away!

jetjack74

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:44 am

With my old squadron with the Navy, we did that with one of our C-9s on a drill weekend when I was with VR-52 at NXX. We were sponsoring a Make-A-Wish Foundation fund raiser, and had a North Pole Express flight for the kids. It was done from an idea from one the pilots who was with the airlines. We taxied around the base with the windowshades drawn, and went over to the Army side which was set as the North Pole. Toys and colouring books were distributed from the Marine Corps toys for tots progamme.
Made from jets!

ETStar

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:53 am

What a sham! Not only do they grow up thinking Santa is real, now they have to live with this! Anyways, hopefully somewhere in there, they know what the real reason for celebrating Christmas is.

dw9115

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:22 am

I think it's great that airlines do this sort of thing for kids that might be homeless or that might be fatally ill maybe it will give them a little holiday joy this time of year and maybe some of them may want to become a pilot later in life.

RC135U

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:23 am

Quoting ETStar (Reply 17):
What a sham! Not only do they grow up thinking Santa is real, now they have to live with this! Anyways, hopefully somewhere in there, they know what the real reason for celebrating Christmas is.

IF they do indeed get to grow up, I'm sure they'll somehow stumble upon the
truth about Santa without undo psychological harm. The celebration of
Christmas would certainly include bringing joy and happiness to the sick,
especially terminal or seriously ill children (and their families). No doubt the
people involved in these Christmas/Santa programs consider the experience
a great honor.

Amazonphil

Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:25 pm

CO just had their F. flight at IAH recently

amazonphil
If it ain't Boeing, I ain't goeing!

Amazonphil

Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:28 pm

A "fantasy flight" that doesn't even leave the ground? It seems the plane should go up for at least a few minutes

The kids are so excited that it doesn't make a difference or do they really care that the flight doesn't leave the ground.

Cheers,
amazonphil
If it ain't Boeing, I ain't goeing!

MxCtrlr

Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:36 pm

We did this at KW back in the 90's. The aircraft would pick up the kids at the terminal, taxi around and go to the executive terminal on the opposite side of the field where they had a makeshift "North Pole" set up complete with snow (in FLL no less!), reindeer and, of course, Santa, Mrs. Claus and the Elves. The kids loved it almost as much as the staff did.

Santa Claus lives! Never stop believing!

MxCtrlr  bouncy 
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

A330323X

Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:45 pm

Quoting KYAir (Reply 10):
Looks like this is last year's "flight". Are they doing it this year too? I think all new USAirways press releases have a Tempe, AZ dateline.

I'm not sure why he posted last year's press release, but yes, they did it this year as well.

Here's an article: http://www.newsday.com/news/printedi...034655.story?coll=nyc-nynews-print

Quoting Redngold (Reply 15):
Another problem is that some of the children may be so ill that they cannot fly.

Bingo. Has nothing to do with slots or fuel or anything like that.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

uniuniunium

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:02 pm

Quoting KBUF737 (Reply 14):
We have one up here in BUF too, this really is a wonderful and generous thing for the airlines to do. Offer their equipment, man power and gate space so that those who are disadvantaged may also be able to enjoy the gift of flight which so many people take for granted.

...except in BUF they don't have to draw the window shades, because let's face it, you can't really tell the difference between Buffalo and the North Pole in December.

ERJ145LR

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:03 pm

A few years ago when I was flying out of BWI on Wn, around christmas time, I saw the same thng going on. A special flight to the North Pole, adn yes, they did take off go around and land again in the "North Pole". It was such a cool thing to see, and a great idea on WN's part, for such a great cause, Children who need a little extra "fun" during Christmas time as they are battling cancer and other deathly diseases. It was a truly touching moment, and made me love WN and the people eho work for WN that much more!

RDUDDJI

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:06 pm

UA used to do that here at IAD also. This year we didn't have an aircraft available (at least that was the party line). I was watching the news the other night and they mentioned how "bankrupt" United wasn't participating in FF this year. UA did however send volunteers to the Children's Hospital to do something similar.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

slashd0t

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:31 pm

Quoting Uniuniunium (Reply 24):

...except in BUF they don't have to draw the window shades, because let's face it, you can't really tell the difference between Buffalo and the North Pole in December.

Try YEG at Christmas Big grin We almost have to go south to see Santa  Wink
/.

navairjax

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:44 pm

I remember EA doing this type of flight out of BOS on a 727, which took off and circled for a half hour back around 1989/90.

jfklganyc

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:57 pm

"EEEUW Typical USAirways crap.

A 'Trip to The North Pole'? What a cheeeeezy farce!! Shouldn't it be called:

'The USAirways TRIP TO THE NORTH TAXIWAY' ?!!

God, thats pathetic!

What did they tell those kids? "Pretend you're flying now"?

What a cheap way to get publicity.

THIS is the 'NEW USAirways'. "

What kind of human being are you?!?! Only a very cynical person with a twisted personality would be so shallow and vane to say something like this. I happened to land at LGA while US Airways was doing this last week. They are not my airline, but I have no problem saying it is a beautiful thing that they did.

The pilots were very appreciative to LGA ground control and they in-turn were very appreciative towards US for what they were doing. It brought a tear to my eye!

Christmas time is so damn special when you are a kid. These kids are sick and/or dying . . . who knows how many more Christmas's they have. This event is designed to bring a little more holiday cheer to them.

It isn't about US or HP or Tempe or Crystal City. No Airbus, no Boeing, no paint schemes. No financial stats, no route structures. This is all about being a human being at Xmas . . .

I don't know who you are, but with that last post I'm sure many a.net members will agree . . . You show yourself no self-respect by portraying yourself as an sel-indulged oaf!

PJ

Tornado82

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:04 pm

Quoting Redngold (Reply 15):

Yep. And to a kid that age just the thrill of getting on a plane that big is worth it. I'd love to be a pilot/crew on that plane or the "North Pole" just to see the joy on the kids for that little bit... especially like was said... it may very well be there last Christmas.

Bravo US, LGA ground control, and all the other airlines/airports that do similar events. The holiday spirit is what counts.

F27XXX

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:18 pm

I am a man with a Downs Syndrome and partially paralyzed brother in my care, (you presumptuous fool, you), and all i'm saying is that for the amount of publicity they were going for - and got- with this silly shades-drawn tour of the LGA taxiways, they could have done a take-off, circuit around the pattern and landing. Fuel costs? Fine then just don't do it at all if you can't do it well. Im surprised US didnt just put those "poor kids" on a crew bus and run them in and out of the airport parking lots.

That's all. USAirbus, er, er, i mean, USAirways should be ashamed.
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

F27XXX

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:26 pm

OOOH and one more thing ... I noticed it was done on December 3 ... a
S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y.

This heroic "flight" was performed on a day, and probably with volunteer 'crewmembers', that that plane would more likely than not be just parked all day.

In fact, was there even a cockpit crew? Or was the plane just dragged all over LGA by a tug? Awwwww .. it brung a tear to my eye ... i cld just crrrryyyyy......

I still say Euuuuuwwwww. Typical US crap. Cmon, throw ur stones at me now...

Tony

[Edited 2005-12-07 08:45:09]
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

N200WN

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:28 pm

Santa's Fantasy Flight originally was created by a group of retired Eastern Airlines flight attendants called the Silverliners.

Continental sponsors this even in SAT and a WN employee is Santa. He's played Santa for twenty years - since he worked for Eastern - and he's a member of the Silverliners too. Some years they taxi the airplane and some they tow it. This year it was towed.

MxCtrlr

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:53 pm

Quoting F27XXX (Reply 33):
Typical US crap. Cmon, I'm ready

I gotta agree with JFKLGANYC, you're being a self-indulgant oaf. Consider, for one special moment, that they also do not fly because of the liability issues presented.

As I stated above, we used to do something similar at KW in the 90's and, even without taking off, the looks on the kids' faces was so priceless that most of us couldn't say if we loved doing the "North Pole Flight" more for our own enjoyment (from watching the kids' reactions) or because of the kids themselves. Either way, it was a VERY special and touching moment and I am proud of doing it and would readily do it again.

To take something like this, and turn it into a cynical anti-USAirways rant, shows your true character. It obviously missed your small mind that they didn't do this as a publicity stunt. Obviously, its a concept your cynical brain can't possibly comprehend or handle. Might I suggest an enema so your doctor can treat your acute crainial-rectal inversion?

Good job, USAirways and Good Job to all the other airlines who do similar "Flights to the North Pole" trips for kids!     

MxCtrlr   

[Edited 2005-12-07 08:54:27]
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

F27XXX

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:16 pm

Quoting MxCtrlr (Reply 35):
I gotta agree with JFKLGANYC, you're being a self-indulgant oaf.

What am i indulging myselg in. oher than expressing my opinion here on a forum ...

To take something like this, and turn it into a cynical anti-USAirways rant, shows your true character. It obviously missed your small mind that they didn't do this as a publicity stunt

Yes they diiiiiiiiid .... and it cost them NOTHING. Public Relations CLICHE!! ANd the rest of you nellies out there (and dont say anything back to that - I'm gay myself) .. going .... "Awwwwww ... that new USAIRBUS, i mean USAIRWAYS is SOOOOO special!! look what they did for those kids, towing them with a tug around LGA on a Saturday in a plane when the plane would have been sitting there all day anyway .... just ..... AWWWWWWWW".

And do NOT give me liability crap either. that tug driver could easily have slammed that A320 (or more likely a 1900C) into another plane by accident too. What happens then?? "AWWWWWWWWWW ......"
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

PurdueAv2003

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:28 pm

F27XXX,

I don't know what US ever did to you to make you so bitter, but give it up, man! There are a lot bigger issues in life than bashing your former employer because you are PO'd at them.

In case you missed it, UA, CO, WN, DL, TZ, and KW have all done the same or similar "North Pole Flights" (see above thread). So, per your reasoning, all of these airlines should be ashamed of their actions. As for that matter, anyone who openly donates time and energy to helping bring a little light into someone's life should be ashamed.

To take something like this, and turn it into a cynical anti-USAirways rant, shows your true character. It obviously missed your small mind that they didn't do this as a publicity stunt. Obviously, its a concept your cynical brain can't possibly comprehend or handle. Might I suggest an enema so your doctor can treat your acute crainial-rectal inversion?

checkmark 
Ptu = Ftu X Anet (not to be confused with a.net)

MxCtrlr

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:29 pm

Quoting F27XXX (Reply 36):
look what they did for those kids, towing them with a tug around LGA on a Saturday in a plane when the plane would have been sitting there all day anyway

While onboard, the children will be treated to holiday music and cheer as the aircraft taxis about the airport property.

Obviously, you were so quick to prove your point about how terrible USAirways is for doing this, that you missed the small word "taxi" which means to drive the aircraft on the ground, under its own power, NOT, I repeat, NOT being towed around by a tug.

What exactly is your problem with this? Did someone piss in your Wheaties when you were a kid or is it something more like USAirways Express dropped you due to cutbacks and now your pissed off and will take every opportunity to bash them over every little thing? (Most likely the latter of the two).

Were you this cynical when you were a F/A? If so, I'm glad I never had you on any flight I was on! Is this attitude of cynicism typical of your former position as a Pax Service Supervisor? If so, I can understand why its your former position!

MxCtrlr  bouncy 

F27XXX

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:40 pm

Quoting MxCtrlr (Reply 38):
Obviously, you were so quick to prove your point about how terrible USAirways is for doing this, that you missed the small word "taxi" which means to drive the aircraft on the ground, under its own power, NOT, I repeat, NOT being towed around by a tug.

What exactly is your problem with this? Did someone piss in your Wheaties when you were a kid or is it something more like USAirways Express dropped you due to cutbacks and now your pissed off and will take every opportunity to bash them over every little thing? (Most likely the latter of the two).

Were you this cynical when you were a F/A? If so, I'm glad I never had you on any flight I was on! Is this attitude of cynicism typical of your former position as a Pax Service Supervisor? If so, I can understand why its your former position!

CLASS IS NOW IN SESSION.

Cheesy is cheesy, no matter what airline is rotting the milk. If you;re putting these kids on to a plane and "flying" them to the North Pole or even just to North Long Island, then fly them there. Otherwise, put em in a mockup. What the the airline really do other than come off cheap. These kids didnt really get a 'flight; in a plane, now did they?

And my opinion would be exactly this against any "airline" that drove a bunch of handicapped kids around taxiways because they figured THEY WOULDNT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

Sad. And stupid.

Tony

PS .. OOOOOH and to answer your other question, I left USAirways Express' wholly owned subsidiary Piedmont, when I found out after they took over our Allegheny station in 98 that i was maxed out as a PSS ... forever ... at $11.50 an hour. Nice huh? You telling me they get quality people to stay longer than just a few yrs.? Hmmmm? Go tug your d*mned plane around the ramps.
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

stuckinMAF

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:05 pm

This is showing just how far out in "the sticks" I am, but this is the first time I've heard of the "Fantasy Flights", and I think this is a very creative idea! And for those of you criticizing the plane not flying or even being towed, shame on you. It's all for cheap publicity? Tell that to the kids that participate and see if they care! Tell that to the crews and volunteers that put it on and see if they care! I sure as hell don't care, even if it is a publicity stunt it's a damned good idea! BRAVO to those who volunteered their time and work and MONEY!!!
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

Devil505x

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:19 pm

What a great cause. Its not cheesy But I would have liked to see the plane leave the ground. How cheap could USairways be? It's for the kids! I know in the end it doesn't matter to them but come on How much better would it be if the plane went (example) PHL - PIT. I say if its for the kids and xmas spare no expense it's all for a great cause!

Ah if I ruled the world.....

LGA777

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:30 pm

Just to add my two cents, F27XXX said "this costs US nothing", he forgot to mention, when these kids get off their "taxi" ride around the airport and arrive at the "North Pole" they get several gifts each from Santa, and no they did not get made by the elves but donated by US. And while it may not have been steak and lobster the kids and their families where also given food (Hot Dogs, Pizza, etc, you know, the kind of food kids like) and drinks. And F27XXX, I am aware you care for your brother who has downs syndrome and is partially paralyzed, and while I respect you for that, you should be able to appreciate that the parents of these children, regardless of income/standard of living have had incredible expenses having a child with cancer, so a day out with free entertainment,food, beverages, parking, and Christmas gifts must be extremely appreciated. And finally F27XXX said because it was a Saturday the US Airbus was probably sitting all day in LGA. Well actually F27XXX that particular 319 on Saturday flew BUF-LGA, was cleaned and catered for the flight to the North Pole, after the kids deplained was towed to another gate, was recleaned and catered again at US expense, then operated LGA-CLT-SEA followed by a red eye back east, pretty long day for that Airbus, and finally if nessasary US had planned (as in most years past) to ferry and aircraft to and from LGA for the event with paid flight crews, just like US does every year for the Kiwanis Kids Day at LGA in September.

Respectfully

LGA777

cs03

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:32 pm

I saw the media footage of the US Airways "flight" and one look at the beaming faces of the children whom were having a great time speaks for itself!
Yes, it may be a "stunt" from the PR office, but tell that to all the people that gave of their time to make this event work! This forum is meant to be an exchange of opinions, but it is sad to see that a subject like this could generate such ill will.

BigOrange

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:37 pm

Quoting Devil505x (Reply 45):
What a great cause. Its not cheesy But I would have liked to see the plane leave the ground

Me too! Just a 1 hour gate to gate would be sufficient.

BWI757

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:38 pm

Quoting ETStar (Reply 17):

Oh, please. Set aside the theology (And I'm Jewish, so this is a non-partisan post). These are kids who are living somewhat miserable lives cooped up in a hospital somewhere. What difference does it make? Many of them may NOT be living with this much longer! Take a look at photos from any such event, isn't it worth it to bring SOME joy into their possibly relatively short lives? Perhaps these events give them the willpower to continue and LIVE!

Quoting JFKLGANYC (Reply 29):

I don't know who you are, but with that last post I'm sure many a.net members will agree . . . You show yourself no self-respect by portraying yourself as an sel-indulged oaf!

AMEN!

Quoting F27XXX (Reply 31):
Fuel costs? Fine then just don't do it at all if you can't do it well. Im surprised US didnt just put those "poor kids" on a crew bus and run them in and out of the airport parking lots.

*Grumble*. See above. If you think that doing a go-around is such a good idea, then why aren't you ponying some $$$? Instead of the "Let's buy this airplane" thread, why not set up a fund to pay for fuel costs so that these kids (in your opinion) can experience a flight?

Only on A.Net would such a charitable and wonderful event staged by volunteers to give underprivledged/sick innocent children a little bit of holiday joy would bring out the Scrooges on the board.

Kudos to all those who volunteered their time, and thanks to all the airlines who support these efforts

Happy Holidays!

BWI757
I live in the US but my heart is in Jerusalem!

atct

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:44 am

Its great to see that even in the hectic airline industry they can take time to spread the christmas spirit. It would be nice if they did an up around the pattern, but hey, they still are making these kids smile. Good show USAir and other airlines.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

F27XXX

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:23 am

Quoting MxCtrlr (Reply 39):
You have obviously never been a part of anything like this. Be it handicapped kids

Really?

Quoting MxCtrlr (Reply 39):
What noble things are you doing to help make these kids' lives a little easier or happier? Absolutely nothing. Its so easy to sit on the sidelines and ridicule but far more difficult to actually get off your ass and do something positive for someone else!

To repeat:

Quoting F27XXX (Reply 31):
I am a man with a Downs Syndrome and partially paralyzed brother in my care

I am very heavily involved as a volunteer with his Day-Care group and just got back from a day of "doing nothing" .. accompanying them on a train ride in to NYC to see a Christmas show.

Quoting Darrenthe747 (Reply 40):
F27XXX,
you are an idiot. i know you just wrote that to piss people off, and it looks like you succeeded, partially anyway. but i just want you to know that you are a waste of space on this planet. go take a long walk off a short pier.

Last I knew, disrespecting other users directly was a violation of policy here on A.net. You need to switch to decaf. But that's beside the point.

I just think that US and any airline that stages these things should be prepared to just do a quick flight. It just seems like a cheap publicity stunt otherwise.

That's all .. and let's stop talking about this now .. it's getting boring, though I am glad to see a few other users agreed with me on this.

AND remember, this is a forum . .. and as long as any of us are paid members here on A.net, we all get to treat each other to our opinions!

Now ... move on.
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

stuckinMAF

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:39 am

Quoting F27XXX (Reply 51):
I just think that US and any airline that stages these things should be prepared to just do a quick flight.

Why? Not a part of what they are offering, as far as I know it looks like it was NEVER implied that an actual wheels-up flight would occur.

Quoting F27XXX (Reply 51):
It just seems like a cheap publicity stunt otherwise.

No it doesn't. It's in the eye of the beholder and I think it's obvious most don't feel that way.

Another point that I don't think has been made is that IF they actually made a flight and something went wrong, it would be very, very sad. Remember Challenger and "The Teacher in Space"?? Better to keep it low risk, simple, and the kids looked like they had a ball!
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

snaiks

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:43 am

CM in panama does that to, and they take off

darrenthe747

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:57 am

well i think seriously you need to ask about the implications of taking sick kids on chemo and all up on a flight. the chances of one or more becoming air sick is pretty high. i would factor that into account if i were in charge of the project. i think the bottom line is that the kids had no idea so why take it beyond that? you might end up making a joyful experience a miserable one if some of the kids started getting sick.
All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.