FlySSC
Topic Author

AF Concorde F-BVFF "in The Air" Again ...

Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:25 pm

The last Air France Concorde, F-BVFF, took its place forever "in the air again" at CDG airport last October 19th.

This aircraft is msn 215, the very last Concorde built in Toulouse and delivered to Air France just 25 years ago on October 23rd 1980.
FF operated her last flight on June 12th 2000 and was in maintenance when F-BTSC crashed on July 25th 2000.

F-BVFF was not modified when Concorde flights started again in November 2001 and never went back to service.
She totalizes only 12.421 hours of flight and 4199 landings.

As she could not fly again, like her two British sisters G-BOAA & G-BOAB, many possibilities were studied for her retirement :

- Display on the roof of the new AF Flight Crew Center at CDG (opening next spring)
- Display as a memorial on the crash site of F-BTSC in Gonesse.
- Display at CDG, with the cooperation of ADP
- Scrapping  cry 

A special area for her display was finally built between the Terminal 3 and Hotel Hilton, in front of the new Control Tower, next to main taxiway between CDG1 & CDG2.
http://www.af001.com/images/ffvutour.JPG

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Philippe Noret - AirTeamimages
View Large View Medium

Photo © Philippe Noret - AirTeamimages

F-BVFF is now displayed in a take off position, slightly banking on the right, nose pointing CDG, just like after the usual take-off from Rwy 27L at CDG (right turn and noise abatement procedure over Goussainville).

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bernard Charles
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bernard Charles

visit http://www.af001.com for more details and pictures.

jeffry747

RE: AF Concorde F-BVFF "in The Air" Again ...

Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:43 pm

I'm glad as long as they gave her a proper display. Concorde was a glorious airplane and deserves to be displayed in all that glory.
C'mon Big B, FLY!

megatop

Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:43 pm

As F-BVFF present my only Concorde flight, I am very happy to see that she is still here and not scraped. Although she is not in flying condition.

Megatop

backfire

Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:55 pm

It's a real shame about the mounting technique. The use of pedestals under the extended undercarriage looks tacky and clumsy - it's the same with the Concorde mounted at the museum in Germany.

Wouldn't it look far more attractive to keep the undercarriage retracted and position the aircraft atop a single, curved brace, to give the impression of its being in flight?

Model aircraft are displayed that way - with strong modern materials, I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to do the same here.

Molykote

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:01 pm

A clean AF ship! eyepopping 
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

CV747

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:04 pm

Quoting Megatop (Reply 2):
As F-BVFF present my only Concorde flight, I am very happy to see that she is still here and not scraped. Although she is not in flying condition.

Has any Concorde been scrapped? (except the one...)

FlySSC
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:07 pm

Quoting Backfire (Reply 3):
Wouldn't it look far more attractive to keep the undercarriage retracted and position the aircraft atop a single, curved brace, to give the impression of its being in flight?

More attractive probably ... but certainly not safe enough, considering the weight of such a plane (even empty) and the difficulty to find the right balance.
I think it's just too risky, technically.

FlySSC
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:11 pm

Quoting CV747 (Reply 5):

No. Except F-BVFD (msn 211), in Nov/Dec.1994, at CDG.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Cabos

EI747SYDNEY

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:16 pm

Why Scrap it?? Was it used for spare parts fort he other Air France concordes?

Rob  wave 
''Live life on the edge, Live each and every day like it's your last, Hell you only live once''

FlySSC
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:40 pm

Quoting EI747SYDNEY (Reply 8):
Why Scrap it?? Was it used for spare parts fort he other Air France concordes?

In 1977, F-BVFD was dammaged at DKR after a heavy landing (14 feet per second -fps- at touch down. 10 fps is the standard limit ).
The aircraft was ferried back to Paris but in the 80s, after all the Concorde routes were closed except CDG-JFK, AF didn't really need seven aircraft anymore. AF decided not to pay for the D Check and used F-BVFD as spares until it was completely dismmantled in 1994.

F-BVFD totalized only 5.816 hours of flight and 1672 landings.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mick Bajcar

[Edited 2005-12-07 12:53:31]

EGTESkyGod

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:45 pm

Quoting CV747 (Reply 5):
Has any Concorde been scrapped?

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 7):
Quoting CV747 (Reply 5):

No. Except F-BVFD (msn 211), in Nov/Dec.1994, at CDG.

Sections of this aircraft are now at Le Bourget.

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 9):
In 1982, F-BVFD was dammaged at DKR after a heavy landing (14 feet per second -fps- at touch down. 10 fps is the standard limit ).

Any more details on this? First heard of such an incident last night.
I came, I saw, I Concorde! RIP Michael Jackson

FlySSC
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:01 pm

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 10):
Any more details on this? First heard of such an incident last night.

As I mentionned, in November 1977, F-BVFD operating AF085 CDG-DKR-GIG, was involved in a heavy landing at Dakar : 14 fps (feet per second) at touch down - 10 fps beeing the standard limit).
The aircraft was ferried back to CDG. Only minor repairs were required. The aircraft went back to service.
After a last flight on May 27th 1982, AF finally didn't want to pay for the D Check and grounded FD. It was used for spares, but the airframe iself, out of service for 12 years had suffered serioius corrosion and was dismantled in 1994.

jush

Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:03 pm

It's a shame that no aircraft is still in "service" to do fun flights for people who have enough money.
Like you can book a flight on an old Constellation.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

ClassicLover

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:19 pm

AF decided not to pay for the D Check and used F-BVFD as spares until it was completely dismmantled in 1994.

BA at the time were highly utilising their 7 Concorde's and I've heard that they were rather annoyed that it was scrapped as they could have used it. Whether truth or rumour, I don't know.

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

EGTESkyGod

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:23 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 13):
BA at the time were highly utilising their 7 Concorde's and I've heard that they were rather annoyed that it was scrapped as they could have used it. Whether truth or rumour, I don't know.

Wouldn't surprise me if BA were annoyed by it, considering how few Concordes there were. Where's GDB when you need him?!

FlySSC
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:37 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 13):

BA was not "highly" using their Concorde at that time.
The "code-share" Braniff/Air France/B.A on IAD-DFW ended in June 1980.
BA discontinued their service to BAH and SIN since Nov.1980 and was only operating a 3 x Weekly LHR-IAD-MIA in addition to the LHR-JFK service. They didn't need 7 aircraft for that and certainly not an 8th one, even with the Charter operations.
The 1 x Weekly service (winter season) to Barbados started only in Dec. 1987

Actually, BA had also an aircraft stored at that time, G-BOAG.
This aircraft (msn 211) returned to service in April 1985. It has been out of service for a long period with much of its equipment having been removed for used in the other Concordes.

Note also that F-BVFF was retired from service in 1982, but not dismantled before 1994. Actually, AF considered returning F-BVFF to service when Concorde activities became profitable in the late 80/early 90s, thanks to the Charter/World Tour activity but finally, the airframe "suffered" too much for not flying during 10 years, and that's why the decision to break it up was finally taken.

[Edited 2005-12-07 16:40:38]

[Edited 2005-12-07 16:43:55]

backfire

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:40 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 6):
More attractive probably ... but certainly not safe enough, considering the weight of such a plane (even empty) and the difficulty to find the right balance.
I think it's just too risky, technically.

I don't think there's much risk - especially when you consider other feats of engineering balance, with much heavier objects.

It's just a matter of distribution. The weight could easily be spread by using a broad platform base, and a planar anchor beneath the fuselage and wings.

EGTESkyGod

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:57 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 15):
Note also that F-BVFF was retired from service in 1982, but not dismantled before 1994. Actually, AF considered returning F-BVFF to service

Not being pedantic or anything, but don't you mean F-BVFD?

BA had 2 Concordes for spares if you count G-BBDG as well as G-BOAG. G-BBDG, by the way, looks like she is coming on well. See www.concordeproject.com

EI747SYDNEY

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:17 am

Thanks for that

Rob  wave 
''Live life on the edge, Live each and every day like it's your last, Hell you only live once''

FlySSC
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:32 am

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 17):
Not being pedantic or anything, but don't you mean F-BVFD?

... sorry for that. it's F-BVFD of course.

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 17):
BA had 2 Concordes for spares if you count G-BBDG as well as G-BOAG. G-BBDG, by the way, looks like she is coming on well. See www.concordeproject.com

Right. But G-BBDG (msn202) was one of the two pre-series aircraft along with G-AXDN (msn 01), used only for test flights by B.A.C. It has never been used for commercial services by B.A

That's also a reason why AF used F-BVFD for spares : unlike BA, AF didn't have any aircraft available for spares, as AF was not allowed because of the French law to use spares from a prototype...(F-WTSA -msn02- & F-WTSB -msn 201-, the two French "equivalent" of British's G-BBDG/G-AXDN were available for spares at that time but never used as such by AF ).

EGTESkyGod

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:53 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 19):
Right. But G-BBDG (msn202) was one of the two pre-series aircraft along with G-AXDN (msn 01), used only for test flights by B.A.C. It has never been used for commercial services by B.A

I think I read somewhere that DG was kept for a while in a Ready-to-Fly at 5 mins notice condition in case BA needed her. But you're quite right, she never was used by BA for flights, but she was for spares. For example, the nose cone recently fitted to DG, was once fitted to G-BOAF, but was damaged in a hangar door incident, so they took DGs nose radome and but it on G-BOAF.

FlySSC
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:10 am

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 20):
I think I read somewhere that DG was kept for a while in a Ready-to-Fly at 5 mins notice condition in case BA needed her.

I don't think so.
G-BBDG last flew on Dec.24th 1981 (Total hours of flight = 1282 - Total number of landings = 633), and then was stored at Filton.
She was bought by British Airways in 1984 to be used for spares exclusively.

GDB

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:15 am

Nice thing AF has done, of course CDG has more spare room than LHR.

202, was not purchased for spares until 1984, two years after 211 was withdrawn, FLYSSC is correct in saying BA's utilization was not heavy then, that would soon change as BA took over support, OAG (214) return to service was part of this.

It (OAG) also prototyped the first major cabin upgrade (where the 'Marilake' displays made their appearance, replacing the older LED 'Mach only' displays), as well as the Landor livery.

202 replaced 214 as the spares ship, many parts from 211 were used in 214's return to service.

202 was briefly considered in the late 80's as an extra '8th' operational Concorde, particularly as the rest of the fleet went through 12000 hr Major (D) checks, starting with OAA in 1988.

However, apart from being needed for spares, 202 in it's test programme had spent time above the regular cruising speed of Mach 2.02-2.04.
Meaning time above the TMO of 127 Deg.C on the nose, with higher temps on other parts of the airframe.

As the first UK production aircraft, the structure was a bit thinner in some areas than subsequent airframes, put all this together, a reconditioned 202 would only be certified for a limited number of flights, so apart from being needed for spares (BA had just paid for a hangar at Filton for 202), it just wasn't worth the high costs involved.

202 was on 'standby' in the 1982/83 period, it's last flight being 24th Dec 1981.
Enthusiasts from www.concordesst.com are helping (with some BA Concorde Engineers), to rebuild it now at Brooklands, the efforts and fundraising by webmaster Gordon Roxburgh, with the help and publicity he assembled 2 years ago, saved 202 from scrapping to make way for G-BOAF (216) at Filton.

Back to 211, it was rumored for years that the heavy landing and repairs, made the aircraft heavier, not so nice to handle, however the truth is simpler, it just needed that big check, including re-rigging of the flight controls.
OAD (210), was our biggest fuel burner in it's final months, as it's big check became due.

[Edited 2005-12-07 18:20:45]

EGTESkyGod

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:18 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 21):
I don't think so.
G-BBDG last flew on Dec.24th 1981 (Total hours of flight = 1282 - Total number of landings = 633), and then was stored at Filton.
She was bought by British Airways in 1984 to be used for spares exclusively.

from concordesst.com:

"The aircraft was kept serviceable at Filton throughout early 1982 for any more development work or test flights that were required.

At the end of the Concorde project, the aircraft was placed in storage out on the airfield. British Airways were given access, through their support contract, to use the aircraft for certain parts that were not immediately available. In April 1984 they acquired title to the aircraft and started using it as one of the main spare part sources. The airline had only been flying six aircraft and had been using a four year old aircraft, G-BOAG, for spares. With access to Delta Golf, British Airways set out on returning G-BOAG to flight status."

Also, check out http://concordesst.com/202.html and scroll down to the pictures. on the left, 4th pic down. Thats where I got it from.

GDB

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:22 am

Even with 202, we weren't above robbing the odd part off the Duxford machine (1st UK pre-production, G-AXDN).
But not the first UK prototype G-BSST, now at Yeovilton, since this 'prototype' had little in common with later aircraft, today we'd call it a 'technology demonstrator', with DN being the prototype.

lehpron

Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:14 pm

Quoting FlySSC (Thread starter):
F-BVFF is now displayed in a take off position

Without her signature drooping-nose? Or will silly people of the future honestly think she flew that way the whole time?

Quoting FlySSC (Thread starter):
As she could not fly again, like her two British sisters G-BOAA & G-BOAB, many possibilities were studied for her retirement :

Why not stick one in the middle of LAXBig grin At least so I could see it for the first darn time...though personally, I really dont want to, I might jinx the future by looking at a relic from the past.  Sad

Quoting GDB (Reply 24):
GDB

Thanks dude, as always, your info is greatly appreciated.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

EGTESkyGod

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:49 pm

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 25):
Without her signature drooping-nose? Or will silly people of the future honestly think she flew that way the whole time?

I've yet to see any Concorde on display with the nose drooped, with the exception of when F-BTSD was opened at Le Bourget, and F-BVFB at Sinsheim, for a very short period, indeed I've only seen one picture of her with the nose down at Sinsheim. FB would look best with the nose fully down in the 12° position, because she's at the kind of attitude we used to see on landing. (by the way, if anyone has any more pictures of FB with the nose down, I'd love to see them!)

I have to agree, if she is in a take off position, if it was at all possible, she should have her nose in the Take-Off position at 5°. The people at Brooklands are exploring the possibility of having some sort of contraption to move the nose up and down on DG.

Scotland1979
Crew

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:07 pm

F-BVFD scrapped? Can I have some parts of her and display at my home backyard?

bigthumbsup 
Jesus said "I am the Way and the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me" - John 14:6

EGTESkyGod

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:27 pm

Quoting Scotland1979 (Reply 27):

Hey, join the queue! Form an orderly line behind..... me!

FlySSC
Topic Author

Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:11 pm

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 25):
Without her signature drooping-nose? Or

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 26):
I have to agree, if she is in a take off position, if it was at all possible, she should have her nose in the Take-Off position at 5°

"Take off" position doesn't mean "when the wheels leave the Runway" !
The afterburners were turned off, around 30 seconds after take off, the nose was raised usually a few seconds after ...

F-BVFF is baking right, just like a few seconds after take off from Rwy 27L at CDG : a right turn and noise abatement procedure over Goussainville, then Evreux and Le Havre, to arrive over the Channel and begin the "second" climb and acceleration

I think they decided to display F-BVFF with the nose and visor fully up just to show Concorde in its best look.
Note also that most of the systems and equipment of F-BVFF were removed
as she was on maintenance at CDG ... I don't know if she could have been displayed with the nose/visor down 5° ...

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 26):
The people at Brooklands are exploring the possibility of having some sort of contraption to move the nose up and down on DG.

I know the hydraulic system is maintained on F-BTSD (at le Bourget) and F-BVFB (Sinsheim) so that the nose position can be changed from time to time.

EGTESkyGod

Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:44 pm

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 29):
Note also that most of the systems and equipment of F-BVFF were removed
as she was on maintenance at CDG ... I don't know if she could have been displayed with the nose/visor down 5°

That there is a good point. Also there is an argument, I suppose, that the nose/visor are kept up so that rainwater and other crap cant get in and around where it shouldn't be.

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 29):
I know the hydraulic system is maintained on F-BTSD (at le Bourget) and F-BVFB (Sinsheim) so that the nose position can be changed from time to time.

To mark special occasions, I presume? Are there any more pictures of either with their noses down?

7FTwinOtter

Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:37 pm

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 28):
Quoting Scotland1979 (Reply 27):

Hey, join the queue! Form an orderly line behind..... me!

you want concorde parts? check this site out!
http://www.concordecollectables.com/...talog/Concorde_Aircraft_Parts.html

FlySSC
Topic Author

Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:50 pm

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 30):
To mark special occasions, I presume? Are there any more pictures of either with their noses down?

F-BTSD :

http://www.af001.com/galerie/picture.php?cat=10&image_id=236&expand=10

EGTESkyGod

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:09 am

Quoting 7FTwinOtter (Reply 31):
you want concorde parts? check this site out!

Would love some... can't afford it!

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 32):

Only seen one of those before, the one fully down. Thank you. You still got those pics of MJ on Concorde by any chance?

RichardPrice

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:11 am

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 33):

Would love some... can't afford it!

£20.00 for a titanium fan blade thats (supposedly) travelled at Mach 2? Well worth it, already ordered one  Smile

EGTESkyGod

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:17 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 34):
£20.00 for a titanium fan blade thats (supposedly) travelled at Mach 2? Well worth it, already ordered one

Can you guarantee it actually flew at Mach 2 or if it's just a replica? Either way, I'll be letting people know where to shop for my Xmas presents!!!

GDB

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:33 am

All BA Concorde Engineering people got a blade, on a wooden base, with the name of the recipient on a small metal plaque.

The raised nose/visor also acted as a weather seal, which is why you won't see it lowered, at least on aircraft displayed outside.

EGTESkyGod

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:50 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 36):
The raised nose/visor also acted as a weather seal, which is why you won't see it lowered, at least on aircraft displayed outside.

Thought it might be the case. IF, and I am speculating, G-BOAB goes inside T5, and was put on stands in a take-off attitude, could they lower the nose to 5 for this?

RichardPrice

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:57 am

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 35):
Can you guarantee it actually flew at Mach 2 or if it's just a replica? Either way, I'll be letting people know where to shop for my Xmas presents!!!

The sites selling them as fitted to Concordes in normal usage, and you can probably trace the serial numbers to confirm this if you really felt like it.

It does warn that the blades dont come in a 'pristine' condition, and you can either polish out the defects caused by usage or keep it as is.

GDB

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:01 am

I would not raise hopes on seeing G-BOAB around T5, certainly not inside, the building was too far down the line to incorporate that, BA found this when they investigated it in 2003.

EGTESkyGod

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:02 am

Worth an ask. Where's looking most likely at the moment?

GDB

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:12 am

Don't know, you could lop the outer wings off at rib 12 (not quite as big a task as it sounds), move it to outside Waterside, stick the outer wings back on.

EGTESkyGod

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:34 am

Sorry, don't know the Geography of LHR. Where's Waterside?

GDB

Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:00 pm

Waterside (AKA, 'Alying Island'), the fancy HQ BA built in the 1990's, is in Harmondsworth, just off a large roundabout, close to LHR.
The person who suggested it has had experience in moving Concordes by road these last two years.
Bottom line, OAB won't stay where it is indefinitely.