SonOfACaptain
Topic Author

US Looking To Bring Call Center Back To The U.S.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:57 pm

Non Illegitimi Carborundum

A330323X

RE: US Looking To Bring Call Center Back To The U.S.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:02 pm

The article is factually wrong in some places, and they took Parker's comments out of context, he said that it was one of the things they were considering. I'd love for it to happen, but I'll believe it when I see it.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

fjnovak1

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:08 pm

Good to hear they're starting to realize peoples frustration. Now, memo to Delta: the fewer times I need to speak to "Bob in Atlanta," (who is really Bozrish Gupta in Mumbai,) I seriously might go nuts. More than once, I have called only to find them totally inept and unable to help me with what I need. Then when you say to them "thanks for nothing," they respond "you're very welcome Mister and than you for calling us at Delta Air Lines goodnight!"

LOL
Go Blue!!

SonOfACaptain
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:21 pm

Yea, this article is overly-confident. However, Parker said there are two options concerning calls. A.) Further train the agents. B.) Bring the center back to the mainland. He said he was leaning towards option B. But in your words....

Quoting A330323X (Reply 1):
I'll believe it when I see it.

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

socalfive

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:33 pm

Yeah, MICROSOFT now needs to get this clue, I had four phone calls to them the other day only to get on the fourth call that their systems went down and I would have to call back another Friggin day. The front line that can't speak and understand perfect english IS ruining customer relations for a LOT of companies these days. US and DL are both using them? Doesn't surprise me, some idiot bean counter making idiot decisions to their own detriment.

thepilot730

Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:02 pm

Many American companies need to get this.... stop sending your customer service centers overseas!!!! I refuse now to deal with a company that has there customer service centers overseas, i.e. circuit city, delta, dell, usairways, etc.

These companies believe they are saving money when in reality they are pissing off there customers because Bob in Mumbai can't help me because he can't understand ME!

Xkorpyoh

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:09 pm

Quoting Fjnovak1 (Reply 2):
memo to Delta: the fewer times I need to speak to "Bob in Atlanta," (who is really Bozrish Gupta in Mumbai,)

the secret with the delta is that if you are a medalliaon elite, you get an agent in the US (who is always nice, knowledgable and efficient). IF you dont have elite status, you get somebody in India that responds appropiatly but doesnt always know what needs to do and therefore leaves you hanging for the right help.

UN_B732

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:44 am

Some United 1Ks are now being routed to India, so I appreciate Delta's decision. They understand that elites are more competent and will make more specific, advanced requests, while non-tier members perhaps (some, not all) will just want to do stuff that is fairly simple.
-Mr. X
What now?

lincoln

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:49 am

Last airline I called -- and I thought they were one of the few where all agents were US based -- I got someone with a thick Indian accent claiming to be "Bob" and...

- Audio level was so quiet I could barely understand him
- There was a noticable echo
- He didn't seem to be understanding what my problem was (I was trying to check in for my flight and I was being told that I had a paper ticket or no ticket had been issued)
- He inserted "aha" after every few words (as in "I see, aha, that you, aha, would like a seat in the, aha, exit row, aha" and "your country's, aha, federal aviation administration, aha, requires that you, aha, be able to read speak, and aha, understand, aha English..."
- At the end of the call he told me to "have a nice holiday in your country"

Really, in the end, I think he helped resolve the question I was calling about, and he did get me a primo exit row window seat (row 14 on a 737-800 instead of the limited recline row 12) -- the only anoying thing was the "aha" -- I wasn't sure if he was asking a question or what.

I'm guessing (hoping) that this was because I was calling on the bussiest travel day of the year and my airline was rolling calls to India to cut down hold times (in fact, both times I wound up calling, I was connected -immediately- after making my choice from the menu without even the slightest hint of hold music.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

A330323X

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:19 am

Quoting Xkorpyoh (Reply 6):
the secret with the delta is that if you are a medalliaon elite, you get an agent in the US (who is always nice, knowledgable and efficient). IF you dont have elite status, you get somebody in India that responds appropiatly but doesnt always know what needs to do and therefore leaves you hanging for the right help.

US does the same thing.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

USAFHummer

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:32 am

I spoke to that call center recently, it was a terrible experience...scratchy connection, agents barely spoke English and had no concept of how things worked...

Me: "Hi, I'd like a *A award ticket from Newark to London on these dates..."

Them: "All I have is British Airways, and that will be 814 dollars, please"

I kind of lost hope after that...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

FlyGuyClt

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:39 am

Northwest Airlines has not as of today at least out sourced any of it's call centers.

Well, if you get Minnesota, you may have to say, Yeah, sure, you betcha ! (just a joke)

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

masseybrown

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:01 am

Based on the person's accent, I believe I talked to an Indian call center last week. The company wasn't an airline; it was a software outfit, IIRC.

I fully expected the call to be annoying and unproductive, but it wasn't. The person was well-trained, fully informed about her product, helpful, and completely solved my problem. I asked to talk to her supervisor, so I could say what a good job she did.

To be fair, they're not ALL bad.

Gr8Circle

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:13 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 8):
Last airline I called -- and I thought they were one of the few where all agents were US based -- I got someone with a thick Indian accent claiming to be "Bob" and...

Oh my, my....you really believe that you can recognise an accent as "Indian"??

What you guys need to understand and accept is that American companies outsource their services such as Customer Support, etc. to India and other low cost countries because THEY (and ultimately the customers) stand to gain from such a move.....they definitely do take into account, the fact that some people are going to be pissed off, hearing a foreign sounding accent...but the overall picture is what counts more.....

Please get it into your heads that in the outsourcing of services and manufacturing to countries like India and China, the biggest and primary beneficiary is the American company and their customers......

luv2fly

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:23 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 13):
What you guys need to understand and accept is that American companies outsource their services such as Customer Support, etc. to India and other low cost countries because THEY (and ultimately the customers) stand to gain from such a move.....

REALLY! Try dealing with SBC and then tell me what is anything good came of it.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Desh

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:37 am

Quoting Xkorpyoh (Reply 6):
US (who is always nice, knowledgable and efficient).

Lucky you - I guess you always get the nice ones .....

Also, people need to realize that the people in Indian call centers do not want to be "Bob" of "Dan" - many a times it is the the company that contracts these call centers that asks for such "guise" to make their american customers feel more comfortable. I wonder why ?  Wink - I think its about time that these companies realize that this is not helping their image at all.

BTW - have you ever considered that just like some Americans have trouble understanding the Indian accent these call center people may also have some trouble understanding the American accent - and yes before someone busts my b*lls for making that statement I realize that YOU are the paying customer and hence are the KING or QUEEN.

But given the fact that some companies are still contracting call centers tells me that maybe they care more for their stockholders than they do for their customers .............
"History is merely a list of surprises. It can only prepare us to be surprised yet again." - Kurt Vonnegut

Cubsrule

Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:12 am

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 12):
I fully expected the call to be annoying and unproductive, but it wasn't. The person was well-trained, fully informed about her product, helpful, and completely solved my problem. I asked to talk to her supervisor, so I could say what a good job she did.

Dell's outsourced people (I think in India) are generally very competent, as are some others. DL, however, is consistently one of the worst. Thankfully, I've not had to call US since they outsourced...they lost a couple of bags a few years ago, but they speak good English up in Pittsburgh.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

thegreatchecko

Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:20 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 16):
good English up in Pittsburgh

In the NE....I don't know about that!

Silly

GreatChecko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

lincoln

Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:50 am

Oh my, my....you really believe that you can recognise an accent as "Indian"??

I may have mistyped -- I know (or, rather, used to know beofore moving to Ohio) several people who had immigrated from India and recognized the accent of the gentleman I spoke with on the phone as being similar to that of the Indians that I knew. You are correct that I do not know what other countries have similar accents so he may not have been Indian.

Quoting Desh (Reply 15):
BTW - have you ever considered that just like some Americans have trouble understanding the Indian accent these call center people may also have some trouble understanding the American accent - and yes before someone busts my b*lls for making that statement I realize that YOU are the paying customer and hence are the KING or QUEEN.

I can imgaine the difficulty that anyone (Indian, American, ...) has in a call center understanding all of the different people that call. None of my complaints are targeted at the individuals working in the call centers-- for the most part they are hard-working individuals just doing what their bosses tell them to-- I can only imagine what I sound like to those on the other end of the line, and I would never volunteer to sit in a cubicle and answer calls from [New Yorkers] [the English] [anyone else with thick accents that I'm not accustomed to]

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Desh

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:23 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 18):
None of my complaints are targeted at the individuals working in the call centers

I understand - I did had not targeted that comment to anyone specfic - thanks for a rational reply.
"History is merely a list of surprises. It can only prepare us to be surprised yet again." - Kurt Vonnegut

Gr8Circle

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:42 am

Well, thanks to all of you for not turning this into a nasty exchange....

I feel that the core issue is that Americans feel that their jobs are being taken away by Indians.....fact is, American companies are the ones who are consciously sending those jobs over (or outsourcing them) because they believe that the jobs can be done at the same quality levels (sometimes, even better) and at a lower cost in countries like India....the list of companies with outsourced facilities in India is amazing....GE, Intel, Microsoft, Bank of America, Citibank, JP Morgan, to just name a few....sooooooo many others.....they all obviously have a reason for doing this....

It is highly recognised worldwide, that the higher end, developmental and research oriented work will predominantly continue to remain in countries like the US, whereas manufacturing and outsourceable services will go to countries like India and China....while a few may suffer in the short term, in the long run it's a win-win situation....so do stop looking at short term things like 'Bob from Mumbai...' etc. and try to focus on the larger picture....consider for a moment, that the reason why American carriers can continue to give you competitive fares in these challenging times could be partly due to the economies they achieve thru' such outsourcing of services....

Cody

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:45 am

I once called the US AIRWAYS "800 number" to check on the price of a companion pass from DCA-MCO. The reservations agent was in India and told me the cost would be $4,000.00.

N276AASTT

Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am

What you guys need to understand and accept is that American companies outsource their services such as Customer Support, etc. to India and other low cost countries because THEY (and ultimately the customers) stand to gain from such a move.....they definitely do take into account, the fact that some people are going to be pissed off, hearing a foreign sounding accent...but the overall picture is what counts more.....

Please get it into your heads that in the outsourcing of services and manufacturing to countries like India and China, the biggest and primary beneficiary is the American company and their customers......

A big fat ...NEGATIVE... on that one!

Tell that to John Q. Smith who was employed with a company for 10-15 years and was let go because the company now wants to ship his job overseas and pay someone less than half of what they were paying Mr. Smith.

Lots of companies are doing it now, it's all the rage! But it comes at a sacrifice of American jobs. More and more people are fighting for less and less "medial" jobs because of this. It is truely hard for people to start all over again when they have invested that amount of time and effort into a company. Sure the companies are saving money by doing this, but more often than not, they are not passing the savings onto the consumer or the remaining employees.

I say bring the jobs back!
Dejale Caer tu el Peso! YOMO

Gr8Circle

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:08 am

Quoting N276AASTT (Reply 22):

Tell that to John Q. Smith who was employed with a company for 10-15 years and was let go because the company now wants to ship his job overseas and pay someone less than half of what they were paying Mr. Smith.

Lots of companies are doing it now, it's all the rage! But it comes at a sacrifice of American jobs. More and more people are fighting for less and less "medial" jobs because of this. It is truely hard for people to start all over again when they have invested that amount of time and effort into a company. Sure the companies are saving money by doing this, but more often than not, they are not passing the savings onto the consumer or the remaining employees.

I say bring the jobs back!

Understand your feelings....but my friend, you are thinking just the way I am warning against....companies do not exist for creating jobs for people....their primary ojective is to provide returns on capital investments.....and to shareholders of course....by generating savings thru' outsourcing, they are providing better returns to the shareholders and this money goes back into the US economy.....

I fully empathise with those who lose their jobs in the short term...but that is an unfortunate fallout of the process....how is it different from when GM decides to close 8 plants in N.America and hand out pink slips to thousands???
They do that because it makes business sense for them, right?

Bring back the jobs and then what...explain to their shareholders why they reversed a profitable decision and reduced the potential gains....???

And at the end of the day, remember that it's still the US who started the Internet and by and large, still run it today......the whole outsourcing game is possible due to the massive strides in the Internet and telecom....courtesy the USA...and the US companies still get the lion's share of the business when numerous Indian call centres and IT companies purchase expensive computers and telecom equipment and the associated software and services, to run their centres....

That's the bigger picture I'm talking about....

[Edited 2005-12-09 17:10:44]

jaysit

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:15 am

Learn to understand other accents.

Some day, your new boss may (or probably already does) have a thick foreign accent.

As for those call center jobs shipped overseas, yes, I've experienced some inept fools, but I've experienced inept born-in-the-US fools too. Frankly, its no worse than it was before.

One of the reasons I stopped buying Apple products several years ago, was that their American customer support consisted of arrogant liberal arts majors with degrees from Pomona College who barely understood how a computer worked.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Desh

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:46 am

Quoting N276AASTT (Reply 22):

Customers are now on the second rung - the first and foremost to ANY big company are its shareholders ...... thats where the CEO focuses because thats where his / her BONUS comes from - the share price and how well the stock did in the STKMKT.

As far as the customer is concerned the focus is minimum expectations (atleast in coach class where you would find me) - when I buy the ticket the airline will fulfill the minimum expectation to getting me from point A to point B (minimum expectation) in reasonable time (best effort) and on schedule (best effort) - rest of the focus is on safety in part because of lawsuits but most because its mighty bad PR if your customers keep getting hurt regularly. So as far as answering your calls is concerned they would rather not provide you a first class service if it helps their bottom line a bit more ..... This is prefectly in line with an airline having a Better (not necessarily a US or non-US call center) call center for its more valuable (read as profitable) customers (Business, freq fliers etc)....

Desh

Gr8Circle

Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:49 am

Quoting Desh (Reply 25):
So as far as answering your calls is concerned they would rather not provide you a first class service if it helps their bottom line a bit more ..... This is prefectly in line with an airline having a Better (not necessarily a US or non-US call center) call center for its more valuable (read as profitable) customers (Business, freq fliers etc)....

But the point is, who says that the service provided by Indian call centres is bad....all the comments contributed above are based on a few odd experiences here and there.....you will definitely have similar bad experiences even with an all-American call centre....

Just in case you guys don't know....each and every call handled by a CS agent is monitored and evaluated....the slightest deviation from laid down standards will attract penalties to the agent and if the company as a whole is not upto the standard, the contract will be yanked away faster than you know and imdly awarded to someone else or shifted back to the US or wherever....the fact that so much of this work continues to be done in India means that American companies are by and large satified with the service provided.....

Lastly, if you are out to find fault with Indian Call centres, you're sure to find something wrong in each and every call....either an accent problem (which is more of YOUR problem) or something or the other....

dartland

RE: US Looking To Bring Call Center Back To The U.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:06 am

I'm a consultant and have worked for companies on their call center and customer service strategy -- I've been the one listening to monitored calls, evaluating the quality assurance criteria, and developing standards.

Some points:

1) Every call is recorded, NOT every call is listened to. Most vendors (the call center companies) promise to monitor every rep at certain intervals (e.g. 1x or 2x per week). They are rated and given feedback based on that, only, as well as the customer service surveys that customers get in the mail after they have a call.

2) "Penalties" are wildly variable, and often mild (e.g. a talking-to, if that). Most now have some sort of bonus or compensation reward for reps with good customer service scores on surveys or QC. But I worked for what is often considered a leader in customer service, and even their bonus/penalty system is seriously flawed.

3) Contracts are not yanked away fast at all! Even progressive companies have multi-year contracts that cannot be changed, and often need the capacity so are forced to renew. Moving call center to and from the US is not easy! It takes a lot of time and A LOT of money -- they'd rather work to fix the customer service levels at the centers that do exist.

4) Some companies are satisfied, some are not. We got a lot of accent complaints, and even a few patriotic complaints, but by and large people don't care where the call center is so long as they are doing their jobs. Most companies that outsource to India and other places are re-evaluating their strategies and shifting call volume for differnet issues around --- e.g. take the simple issues overseas, and leave the complicated issues in the US. Or, like mentioned above, service elite customers in the US, and non-elite overseas. Call it perception or whatever you want -- point being some overseas call centers do have lower customer service scores, and there are legitimate root causes of it that should be addressed, and are being addressed by responsible companies.

ltbewr

Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:16 am

We all want those $99 transcon tickets or those $500 laptops. One of the only ways that companies can continue to offer those prices is by reducing costs, including having customer call centers outside the USA. In India, the standard and cost of living is a lot lower, even for well educated people vs. the 'western' world. I have had good and bad problems with call centers - both offshore and within the USA. Even the USA based ones often have people that couldn't count their eyes and get the same number twice in a row. Yes, sometimes the accents of those offshore call center people can be difficult, but I would guess someone with a deep Southern US or Irish accent must throw them too. If US Airways is reconsidering returning human call centers back to the USA, then good. With airlines you are dealing with geography that a non-US resident (and even some USA residents too!) wouldn't understand very well. Airline pax tend to be very touchy people about service and there are some older and techniphobic people who don't or cannot use the internet. Now if we can kill of the 'press 1 for billing...' phone tag 'customer service' lines.  biggrin 

goingboeing

Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:22 am

I may have mistyped -- I know (or, rather, used to know beofore moving to Ohio) several people who had immigrated from India and recognized the accent of the gentleman I spoke with on the phone as being similar to that of the Indians that I knew. You are correct that I do not know what other countries have similar accents so he may not have been Indian.

I work with a gal who was born and raised in India. She's quite attractive, and looking at her, she "looks" Indian. Yet she has the most beautiful British accent I have ever heard.

jaysit

Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:36 am

Quoting Goingboeing (Reply 29):

I work with a gal who was born and raised in India. She's quite attractive, and looking at her, she "looks" Indian. Yet she has the most beautiful British accent I have ever heard.

Contrary to what a lot of Americans believe, not every Indian speaks like Apu on the Simpsons (actually no one in India speaks like Apu on the Simpsons). Accents of spoken English in India vary immensely based on region, class, education, ethnicity, etc. Those who are versed in the ways of the subcontinent can decipher where a person is from by the way they enunciate their English words.

Btw, the girl you refer to is probably British of Indian descent. There are nearly 1 million Britons of Indian descent, a majority of whom are British-born. There are also an additional million or so Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, etc.

A330323X

Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:04 am

Quoting Cody (Reply 21):
I once called the US AIRWAYS "800 number" to check on the price of a companion pass from DCA-MCO. The reservations agent was in India

That's pretty impressive, seeing as how the outsourced US call centers are in MNL, SAL, and MEX, none of which were in India the last time I checked.  Silly

jaysit

Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:17 am

Quoting A330323X (Reply 31):
That's pretty impressive, seeing as how the outsourced US call centers are in MNL, SAL, and MEX, none of which were in India the last time I checked

LOL !

I guess it just goes to show the mass mob mentality of the usual suspects.

egghead

Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:18 am

Quoting Desh (Reply 15):
But given the fact that some companies are still contracting call centers tells me that maybe they care more for their stockholders than they do for their customers .............

Hopefully these companies will soon recognize that exporting call centers alone won't make them profitable. Southwest and JetBlue are good examples of profitable airlines with good local call centers.

I am not at all against outsourcing, but I am against the general idea that outsourcing alone will turn profit. I do appreciate the outsourcing of airplane manufacturing, by Chinese & Indians, to US. China & India can design & manufacture planes, however they found better quality and cost over here in US.

fumanchewd

Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:46 am

Cheap labor means more profit for the companies involved. Very little of this profit ever goes to keeping the cost of the product down. It typically goes to dividends, board executives salaries, and stock options. Outsourcing by companies is typically done in a dishonest manner such as not stating their real name. I have called Best Buy customer service many times and I always talk to these "Bobs" and "Janes" with Indian/Pakistani accents. They then have the nerve to state that they are in Minneapolis. I have called more than 10 times and they all have the same accent!Dishonest outsourcing is eroding any type of middle class that the US still has left at the expense of a bigger profit. The government should be limiting the amount of outsourcing that can be done by companies.

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 20):
I feel that the core issue is that Americans feel that their jobs are being taken away by Indians.....fact is, American companies are the ones who are consciously sending those jobs over

It is not just an American problem.

On 9 December 2005, tens of thousands of people are participating in a day of protest to support employees of the Irish Ferries company who have been on strike for 16 days. The workers have barricaded themselves inside two ferries in protest of company plans to hire cheaper workers from eastern Europe, a move the company says it must make to remain competitive. Marches are taking place across Ireland, with the largest occurring in Dublin.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

Gr8Circle

Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:35 am

Quoting Egghead (Reply 33):
Hopefully these companies will soon recognize that exporting call centers alone won't make them profitable. Southwest and JetBlue are good examples of profitable airlines with good local call centers.

I am not at all against outsourcing, but I am against the general idea that outsourcing alone will turn profit.

Well, no one said that outsourcing "alone" will do the trick...it's obviously one of many different cost cutting steps to be taken....

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 34):
Outsourcing by companies is typically done in a dishonest manner such as not stating their real name. I have called Best Buy customer service many times and I always talk to these "Bobs" and "Janes" with Indian/Pakistani accents. They then have the nerve to state that they are in Minneapolis. I have called more than 10 times and they all have the same accent!Dishonest outsourcing is eroding any type of middle class that the US still has left at the expense of a bigger profit. The government should be limiting the amount of outsourcing that can be done by companies.

These directions are almost always given by the company that outsources....don't be calling the Indian workers 'dishonest'...if the outsourcing co. said it's okay to speak in your natural accent and use your real name, that's what they would do....

And to the best of my knowledge, there are not too many call centres in Pakistan...India is the leader in this field...

fumanchewd

Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:49 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 35):
.don't be calling the Indian workers 'dishonest'...if the outsourcing co. said it's okay to speak in your natural accent and use your real name, that's what they would do....

I didn't call Indian workers dishonest, it is obviously the policies implemented by the executives.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

jetstar

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:58 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 14):
REALLY! Try dealing with SBC and then tell me what is anything good came of it.

I recently went through a nightmare experience with the SBC call center in India when I had problems with my SBC Yahoo internet e-mail service. After spending at least 4 hours and a couple of calls to these idiots, they preceded to totally screw up my e-mail service when they tried to set up my outlook express to be my primary e-mail service instead of Yahoo’s e-mail service. They managed to destroy my outlook express.

After they were unable to get my outlook express fixed I asked for a supervisor. I was given a toll free number for second tier support who they told me they could help me. When I called this number I was connected to their support center in Austin, Texas. After going through many attempted fixes I finally had to take my computer back to where I bought it and have them reload outlook express. After my computer was fixed, the Texas call center was able to get my outlook express e-mail service running properly. These idiots in India are totally incompetent.

The call center in Texas told me that they have many problems with the level of support coming from India. During my calls to India, I tried to get out of them where in India they were located and they all told me that they were not located in India, but would not tell me where they were. When you hear a voice answer and he identifies himself as Bob or Mary but has such a thick Indian accent that sometimes you can hardly understand them, you know definitely where they are.

Because of these problems, I am looking for a new internet service provider whose customer support is located in the good old USA.

lincoln

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:44 am

Quoting JETSTAR (Reply 37):
recently went through a nightmare experience with the SBC call center in India when I had problems with my SBC Yahoo internet e-mail service.

You could have just stopped at "SBC call center"... SBC's general incompetence (and every time I've called I've never thought I was speaking with anyone outside of the country) is utterly astounding, second only to Adelphia*

Quoting JETSTAR (Reply 37):
These idiots in India are totally incompetent

Has nothing to do with what country they're located in. If you gave your next door neighbor the same script and called him about the same problem, you would probably think that he was incomptent as well when all was said and done. For the most part tier 1 support is (IME) entirely scripted and easily rattled by problems that can't be addressed with the script.

LIncoln

[Re: Adelphia -- again, another set of (as far as I could tell) American call centers -- cable bill- $19, $35, $35, $35, $84... WTF? $84 a month for basic digital cable (not to mention that they billed the same service for the same period twice on the same statement -- but at different rates)?!?!?! You think I'm not going to notice that you've suddenly trippled my monthly rate with absolutely no notice? Yet everyone I talked to seemed utterly confused about why I would be calling, let alone be upset that my calls weren't being returned. [And getting service installed was another nightmare Adelphia rep: 'Oh, I didn't think you really wanted cable installed today... I thought you were just talking about it, and no, I don't think we can get someone there in the next week' (after I had called the night before to confirm and had waited at home for 4 hours)]

Dougloid

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:54 am

Quoting FlyGuyClt (Reply 11):

Well, if you get Minnesota, you may have to say, Yeah, sure, you betcha ! (just a joke)

Ole and Lena are not amused there, sonny.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Dougloid

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:57 am

Quoting Desh (Reply 15):

My old man always used to say that if you want to buy oats it costs a certain price. But if you want oats that have already been through the horse it costs a lot less.

I'm inclined to think that it's the rotten service that's at the heart of it and not the workers in India who, after all's said and done, are just trying todo a job and earn a paycheck. The responsibility's on the stateside companies who hire them for lousy service delivery. And that goes for Dell, too.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

F27XXX

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:38 am

Quoting Desh (Reply 15):
BTW - have you ever considered that just like some Americans have trouble understanding the Indian accent these call center people may also have some trouble understanding the American accent

There is some good truth to this. There are many 'American' accents - plural. We have some very pronounced regional accents here in this country that can be difficult to understand-- especially on the phone!
The same idea overall with any of the many versions of the English language, I notice. The British cockney, as opposed to the Liverpool as opposed to the Scottish (and I know there are many more within the UK) then Irish, Scottish, Australian, South African, etc. ..

Sometimes I find myself, when listening to someone with one of these thick regional 'twangs' , thinking to myself "god we really are speaking the same language?"

I dont have much problem understand an Indian accent -- i have a far harder time deciphering/being able to stand some of "ours" at times:

• Northern New England/Boston
  • Brooklyn-ese
  • New Yorican
  • Baltimore (pronounced Bawdamer, and very similar to Pittsburghese)
  • Deep South (that cloying southern twang)
  • Texan (exaggerated Southern - all sound like user car sales people to me)
  • Floridatino
  • Chicano
  • Ghetto Ebonic

• Effeminate Male (and I'm gay too so i dont wanna hear anything back from any outraged queens over this one! - and this combined with any of the others above .. forget it! i'm hangin up and callin back!! LOL )

Quoting Desh (Reply 15):

And unfortunately thats how its always gonna be.

Tony
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

bennett123

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:06 pm

Cody

I take it that $4k WAS incorrect.

goingboeing

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:13 pm

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 30):
Btw, the girl you refer to is probably British of Indian descent

All I really know is that she is stunningly beautiful.

717-200

Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:41 pm

Southwest and JetBlue are good examples of profitable airlines with good local call centers.

AirTran also uses only US based call centers, all of them in Georgia.
One just south of ATL in College Park, one in Savannah, and the
other in Carrollton.
72S 733 734 735 73G 738 742 752 763 E190 M82 M83

db373

Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:14 pm

I am not at all against outsourcing, but I am against the general idea that outsourcing alone will turn profit. I do appreciate the outsourcing of airplane manufacturing, by Chinese & Indians, to US. China & India can design & manufacture planes, however they found better quality and cost over here in US.

I'm not sure what people are expecting, really. I sit here and read arm-chair CEO's saying that companies need to cut costs, and then I read posts like this where people complain because companies are trying to cut costs. I peronsally thinks it makes sense to outsource if your losing money, because by outsourcing, you are CUTTING COSTS.

Oh, and has anyone bothered to mention that the only reason US is bringing their call centers back to the U.S. is probaby because HP is now running the show? I'm sure if US hadn't been saved by HP, we wouldn't be reading about this now.
Keep Delta My Delta

jmc1975

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:40 pm

To drop the contracts of outsourced call centers would be a win-win for US. Not only would it cut the costs of paying an incompetent contractor, but it would also enhance the job security of those who work at the call centers in INT, PHX and RNO. Plus, customer service would be improved to boot.

WDBRR

Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:35 pm

When I call Continental, the agent sometimes answers with "Continental Airlines Houston, this is Bob or ......, how may I help you?" I've wondered if this was PR stunt to show you are talking to an American reservations agent or if the person had an ego to be based in the CO headquarters.

Seattle Ops

Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:14 am

I called US Res to get listed for a flight, and it took Vijay 20 minutes and 3 holds for him to figure it out. Of course after telling me how much it would cost 5 times. Awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aircellist

Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:16 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 23):
Understand your feelings....but my friend, you are thinking just the way I am warning against....companies do not exist for creating jobs for people....their primary ojective is to provide returns on capital investments.....and to shareholders of course....by generating savings thru' outsourcing, they are providing better returns to the shareholders and this money goes back into the US economy.....

Quoting Desh (Reply 25):
Customers are now on the second rung - the first and foremost to ANY big company are its shareholders ...... thats where the CEO focuses because thats where his / her BONUS comes from - the share price and how well the stock did in the STKMKT.

As far as the customer is concerned the focus is minimum expectations (atleast in coach class where you would find me) - when I buy the ticket the airline will fulfill the minimum expectation to getting me from point A to point B (minimum expectation) in reasonable time (best effort) and on schedule (best effort) - rest of the focus is on safety in part because of lawsuits but most because its mighty bad PR if your customers keep getting hurt regularly. So as far as answering your calls is concerned they would rather not provide you a first class service if it helps their bottom line a bit more ..... This is prefectly in line with an airline having a Better (not necessarily a US or non-US call center) call center for its more valuable (read as profitable) customers (Business, freq fliers etc)....

I believe in Desh's view; the customer is just the kind of pain a big corporation has to endure to be able to send megabucks to its shareholders.

Quoting Goingboeing (Reply 43):
All I really know is that she is stunningly beautiful.

Picture, please...  Wink
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes