AirWillie6475
Topic Author

Question About SWA Cabin Crew Dress Code

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:14 am

I know what the cabin crew wear but I was wondering what is the official dress code for employees that work in-flight at Southwest? I ask this question because if they do have a laid back kind of mentality why don't the pilots wear Hawaiian Shirts and Khaki shorts? If the F/As can why not them? Would passengers object to this?

luv2fly

RE: Question About SWA Cabin Crew Dress Code

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:19 am

The FA's do not wear Hawaiian shirts on WN, the dress casually in a slew of choices, from polo shirts to button down shirts, matched with both slacks and even shorts.
You can cut the irony with a knife

brownbat

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:29 am

Not a bad idea for a company that thinks outside the box, I kind of would like to see that but I think WN pilots would check their egos before deciding to fly with khakis and Hawaiian shirts. Look at the JetBlue pilots, they give a new meaning to Blue Collar Worker.

L-188

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:36 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 1):
The FA's do not wear Hawaiian shirts on WN, the dress casually in a slew of choices, from polo shirts to button down shirts, matched with both slacks and even shorts.

I would go one step farther. The SW flight attendents uniform is much more appropriate then those used in by some of the Majors. The cottons and slacks used by Southwest would standup much better then the silks and the nylons that those suits worn by other companies would.

I saw some really ugly photos of a lady who's nylons melted into her skin going down an emergency exit once.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ikramerica

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:43 am

hawaiian wears flowered shirts.

wonder what virgin america will do. after all, they plan to "rethink" air travel, so maybe it's clothing optional? PJs? tuxedos?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

luv2fly

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:28 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 3):
I would go one step farther. The SW flight attendents uniform is much more appropriate then those used in by some of the Majors. The cottons and slacks used by Southwest would standup much better then the silks and the nylons that those suits worn by other companies would.

I saw some really ugly photos of a lady who's nylons melted into her skin going down an emergency exit once.

I have to agree cotton and other natural fabrics are your friends when it comes to an accident situation that has fire and sliding down slides.
You can cut the irony with a knife

atrude777

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:47 am

Yes it is the purpose of SWA to have the in flight crew be a bit laid back so they can be comfortable for emergencies and fast thinking situations. Tennis shoes instead of dress shoes and such. They need them to be comfortable, fi WN staff is comfortable, then they will be cheerful and smile all the time to the passengers.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

georgiaame

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:51 am

I want you to picture this scenario. I am a physician, and have one very laid back personality (albeit one rather opinionated one.)

You come into my office, scared because you think you might have pancreatic cancer. You've read everything you can on the internet about pancreatic cancer, and there is no doubt in your mind that 1) you have it, and 2) you are going to die. You are scared poopless, and you put your life and complete faith in my hands.

Mind you, you have never met me. And I walk into the exam room, you with sweat pouring out of your armpits, and me, dressed in my Hawaii short sleeve shirt, and shorts, my hairy legs well visible, and my toes sticking out of my 10 year old sandals. Because it's Friday, dress down day. Oh, and I don't shave on Fridays and my toenails really should have been clipped last week.

Feeling better yet?
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

L-188

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:04 am

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 7):
Mind you, you have never met me. And I walk into the exam room, you with sweat pouring out of your armpits, and me, dressed in my Hawaii short sleeve shirt, and shorts, my hairy legs well visible, and my toes sticking out of my 10 year old sandals. Because it's Friday, dress down day. Oh, and I don't shave on Fridays and my toenails really should have been clipped last week.

Hawkeye is that you?

There is a difference between dressing down and neatness, but Frank Burns wouldn't know that.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos