dl021

Boeing Web Site Facelift

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:18 am

Boeing just modified their website with an all new look.

What do you think? Better, worse, no diff?

I'm not sure yet, but it's more traditional looking. Sort of reminds me of Lockheeds site.

Go see and tell me what you think
http://www.boeing.com/

[Edited 2005-12-10 19:20:41]
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

dl021

RE: Boeing Web Site Facelift

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:25 am

OK...so I don't like it as much as the previous one, and am waiting for them to finish the flash site that is promised in their discussion of the new look.

Here's the redesign info page:

http://www.boeing.com/faq_redesign.html
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

shamrock350

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:27 am

I like it! I always found the Airbus website nicer and easier to use but this website is just as good.

IAH744

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:28 am

i think its easier to acces everything
Deliver Everyones Luggage To Atlanta

MYT332

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:36 am

It looks like a more basic version of Microsoft's site. I don't like the quick links section on the left, it looks really simple and amateur.

I'll withhold full judgement on the facelist until the new flash site comes online.
One Life, Live it.

DavidT

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:41 am

They need a cross between the new on and the old one. The old one was quite narrow in terms of focus.

The new one just looks like somebody picked a random corporate template and used that. I challenge anybody who doesn't know who Boeing are to work out they sell planes from the first impression that site gives!  Smile

scbriml

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:44 am

Hmm, at the moment I preferred the old one, but as others have said, I'll reserve final judgement till the flash version is ready. Some of my Boeing IE Favourites are broken now though.

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 2):
I like it! I always found the Airbus website nicer and easier to use but this website is just as good.

I agree that Airbus's new website is better than their old one. I also really like that they provide their sales and deliveries in a spreadsheet. But, I have to say, the ability to produce custom reports on Boeing's site is very neat. What I'd really like is effectively, a combination of both - customisable reports (with historical data) that can be downloaded in Excel format. yes 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

BCAInfoSys

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:48 am

BOOOOO! I for one find it very bland and it's something I'd expect on an organizational intranet (portal), rather then the corporate main site. A big step backward. And I really don't care for the color pallete used on the graphics that rotate in the center, each time you reload the page. They don't seem very dynamic and exciting, they seem almost boring.  Sad
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

FriendlySkies

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:48 am

I much prefered the old look, while it wasn't as functional as it could be, it was very distinct. This, as others have said, looks like some generic website. But hopefully the flash site will be better.

leelaw

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:49 am

Where is the orders/deliveries data now?
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

ikramerica

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:51 am

Quoting IAH744 (Reply 3):
i think its easier to acces everything

exactly. graphic design may not be better, but a website's primary purpose is to provide information and information is FAR easier to access in this format. Those damn dropdown and breakout menu things were hard to get through and made it even harder to navigate backward.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

killjoy

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:52 am

Quoting http://www.boeing.com/faq_redesign.html:
and make Flash a choice for users not a forced condition.

Yes! Yes! Give this man a medal!

Quoting http://www.boeing.com/faq_redesign.html:
not just the privileged

"Privileged" and "Flash" aren't normally two words I'd associate with each other...

Quoting http://www.airbus.com:
To surf the contents of this web site you need to install the Flash player. Click on the button below to download it.

Wankers...

ikramerica

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:53 am

I do think they have way too much "line spacing" between text and buttons and such. This website requires plenty of window scrolling that is entirely unnecessary compared to the old site or any sports website with similar tiers of information. Who do we write to to point this out?

fraport

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:55 am

The "old" one looked much better!
While the previous website looked like 2005, the modified site looks as if we had 1997!

na

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:58 am

Although I find it a bit easier to browse through aesthetically its disappointing compared to the old one.
Its so ...stiff and rigidly designed. The white-blue-grey colouring is unimaginative and very boring - and extremely generic, bloodless. In fact at first glance, on the major pages, compared to the old one the new feels somewhat older after browsing through the first time. That somehow changes if you browse into the "back" pages, which are better designed now, though still not great.
I won´t call this a final judgement, just the first impression.

D L X

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:59 am

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 7):
BOOOOO! I for one find it very bland and it's something I'd expect on an organizational intranet (portal), rather then the corporate main site. A big step backward.

I agree.

Barf.

And now I kind of think adding Flash will be lipstick on a pig.

rpaillard

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:08 am

Definitively better! The previous looks really "amateur" regarding design, in my opinion. This one, still, is not a beauty. Airbus one is really beautiful!

By the way, it's good to see the 717 in the new Boeing livery : http://www.boeing.com/commercial/717/index.html

My 2 cents ...
FLY SKYTEAM JETS

kc135topboom

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:16 am

I like it and there is more information that is easier to get.

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 2):
I always found the Airbus website nicer and easier to use but this website is just as good.

I don't know, the Airbus.com site is difficult to navigate through, Boeing.com always seems easier, at least to me.

The Boeing site seems to offer more information than Airbus does.

But, I think it is all just personal prefence.

ikramerica

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:23 am

Orders and deliveries are in the About Commercial Airplanes area.

I think the main thing against this website is the button size/shape/coloring.

But that is easy to fix in the future. It's getting it all to work right that's the hard part. I'd expect to see them soften it up.

As for the color scheme, well Boeing is blue and silver and white right now, so...

As for the Flash complaints, you need to move into the present, your anti-flash bias, while likely justified, is roundly ignored by most companies as it is a very easy way to add interactive content. It's just one of those evils of today's life that you can either fight futily against or get used to.

Quoting Rpaillard (Reply 16):
Definitively better! The previous looks really "amateur" regarding design, in my opinion. This one, still, is not a beauty. Airbus one is really beautiful!

Of course the Airbus one is better. Always is.

Except for the annoying drop down things that go away and change if you dare not move your mouse precisely. I like the Airbus website look but hate the navigation.

norcal

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:29 am

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 17):
I don't know, the Airbus.com site is difficult to navigate through, Boeing.com always seems easier, at least to me.

The only thing I hate about Airbus is their website, one thing in particular that bothers me is the way that they do orders and deliveries. I like how Boeing does the weekly update on a webpage and not a monthly one on an enormous spread sheet. I also think that Boeing does a better job of keeping their orders and deliveries accurate. I also like the user defined report option that Boeing has because it can basically allow you to make a spread sheet like Airbus does if you want to.

I'll have to check out the Boeing site a little more before I pass judgement on it

charlib52

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:32 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 10):
Those damn dropdown and breakout menu things were hard to get through and made it even harder to navigate backward.

AMEN!!  

I do agree some tweaking needs to occur -- photos way too bland (why are they there -- tell us something about them!). Overall the design is very amatuer. But I'm liking the navigation a lot better. When they give it a professional graphics touch I think it will come togther quite well.

Edit: at least it is very fast, for me.

[Edited 2005-12-10 20:34:46]

killjoy

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:36 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 18):
As for the Flash complaints, you need to move into the present, your anti-flash bias, while likely justified, is roundly ignored by most companies as it is a very easy way to add interactive content. It's just one of those evils of today's life that you can either fight futily against or get used to.

It's impossible to just get used to it considering Flash is a closed standard and my operating system isn't supported. There is no way in hell I'll stop fighting something that excludes open source browsers from accessing a website.

Getting into why Flash is bad in general is a matter for another topic, though, so I'll just stop here...

redflyer

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:42 am

Much better than the old version. The old version wasn't organized very well -- you had to go through multiple pages to get to where you wanted to, such as commercial airliners. It was as if they wanted to be all things to everyone. This new site is much better looking and easier to navigate.

But Airbus' website is still better.
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

Boeing Nut

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:59 am

I also like the previous one better, but it's still nice.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

zippyjet

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:01 am

I like the new site. It's traditional as others have mentioned. Easy to navigate.
Also, it's sad to see the 757 in the out of production birds.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

redflyer

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:10 am

Anyone try the pocket reference guide for PDA's? I just downloaded it. Nice detailed specs in there for each of their birds. (And handy to have around for quick reference for some of the more heated A vs. B wars in this forum.)  

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/ref_guide/index.html

[Edited 2005-12-10 21:12:01]

ikramerica

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:17 am

Quoting Killjoy (Reply 21):
It's impossible to just get used to it considering Flash is a closed standard and my operating system isn't supported. There is no way in hell I'll stop fighting something that excludes open source browsers from accessing a website.

It is not Boeing's fault that Macromedia does not offer Flash for your OS. You should get on Macromedia's case about that.

While I'm no huge flash fan and think it would be nice to be able to turn it off on some websites, it isn't the end of the world. Being forced to use MS Exploder by some websites is a much bigger issue.

But I would assume that Boeing will offer a "low bandwidth" version of the site in the future. They will also most likely make the look softer with better buttons and such. We'll have to wait and see. Currently the design is very "off the shelf" for much of the design, but it is functioning BEAUTIFULLY so far in that all data I know is there is still there, and I've had no broken links or what have you. That's impressive. I would imagine they will give it a "787 interior" in the near future.  Wink

But this is day 1, and it is a Saturday, and they launch things like this on a Saturday for a reason...

killjoy

Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:13 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 26):
It is not Boeing's fault that Macromedia does not offer Flash for your OS. You should get on Macromedia's case about that.

But it is Boeing's fault for utilizing a closed standard. If Macromedia wanted to make Flash more acceptable, they should create an open source reference implementation and encourage third party development.

pavlin

Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:06 am

gr.........
holly s... it's almost worse than Airbus site.

ikramerica

Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:41 am

Quoting Killjoy (Reply 27):
But it is Boeing's fault for utilizing a closed standard. If Macromedia wanted to make Flash more acceptable, they should create an open source reference implementation and encourage third party development.

Or you could petition them to make a version that works with your OS, whatever it is.

Despite the wishes of some, the whole world is not about to move to open source and open standard for everything they do, and to sit in the corner and complain about it isn't going to make it happen.

It takes more than silent protest to change the world. Not using Flash is a silent protest.

Complain to Boeing about it then. They might retort with "it's the first day. we'll have a low-bandwith version shortly." Or they might say: "go to hell." Or they might say: "sorry, we didn't realize, and we'll get to work on it."

Who knows, but it can't hurt to enquire.

sammyk

Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:46 am

Liked the old one better. This one, while functional, looks like someones high school project.

aileron11

Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:59 am

The web sight is excellent! Just like their airplanes.  bigthumbsup 
Jersey Lou

PHXinterrupted

Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:18 am

What's the big deal anyway? In case you haven't noticed, Boeing doesn't sell website designs.
Keepin' it real.

grantcv

Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:38 am

I am a developer and from what I can see - this is a very poorly designed and poorly implemented website. The graphic design is very amateurish, the window layout and the HTML that produces it seems very poor. This website is where websites were about 8 years ago.

I hope this is an interim site right now - it is an embarrassment for a company the size and prestige of Boeing

A360

Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:01 am

I've just checked the website and I was surprised to see one thing: in the 787 section, the first image shows the 787 with winglets!!

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787/images/787_topshot_375.jpg

I think I'm not imagining things... the thing has winglets!
I didn't knew the 787 was going to have 737 style winglets! Is this new?

Regards:
A360

grantcv

Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:23 am

No, the 787-3 has always had winglets - the 787-8 and -9 have raked wingtips.

ETStar

Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:32 am

U-G-L-Y. And too stripped down. Not something that one would expect for a similar company. I did not like their previous site either, was too amateurish, and now this one. I have to say that Airbus has always had a better website than the two.

BA

Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:34 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 4):
It looks like a more basic version of Microsoft's site.

You took the words right out of my mouth. It looks like a typical software company website...

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

redflyer

Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:38 am

Quoting A360 (Reply 34):
I didn't knew the 787 was going to have 737 style winglets! Is this new?

The 787-3 will have winglets. Its wingspan will in fact be shorter than the -8 and -9 versions.

N328KF

Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:52 am

I like this site more. Flash is ass. Imposing it upon people is bad juju.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

boeingfever777

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:34 pm

its crap and hard to find things. F-
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

N328KF

Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:00 pm

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 40):
its crap and hard to find things. F-

What are you talking about? Everything's in the same place...even the old URLs still work. Just because it doesn't have that system-crashing PoS Macromedia Flash stuff doesn't mean it's "crap." It requires far less in system resources now. Flash is obstrusive and using it is bad netiquette.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

highflyer9790

Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:31 pm

wow its absolute crap!

TPASXM787

Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:53 pm

The first thing I noticed was you click on commercial airplanes and BAM...a 717...odd they are still pimping it on the frontpage and they aren't even going to make it anymore...you would think it would be a slideshow of sorts of the 748,777, and 787...

needless to say I don't really like it.

pretty sorry ass...I can't build websites and I think with my laptop and a few days I could come up with this crap.

twocents 
This is the Last Stop.

777ER
Crew

Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:42 pm

I personally find the old design nicer, but I'm sure the new one will grow on me
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

ikramerica

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:22 pm

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 40):
its crap and hard to find things.

you may not like the look but it is NOT hard to find things at all. it's all there, more accessible than before.

did you even bother to really try it out and go a few layers deep, then see how easy it is to go to other information compared to the old site?

ikramerica

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:38 pm

Quoting Killjoy (Reply 21):

Your statement contradicts Boeings own statements:

http://www.boeing.com/utilities/upgrade/

They claim the website is based on OPEN STANDARDS and that there are 3 UNIX/LINUX browsers that can display the website correctly. 4 for Mac and 3 for Windows. Which OS are you using that won't show the website correctly anyway?

ikramerica

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:46 pm

BTW - if you read the thinking behind the redesign including making the website more accessible to those with disabilities and designed to display correctly on as many browsers as possible, you might understand why it looks 8 years old. So many modern looking sites just don't render correctly on various browsers, use graphical text that can't be read by voice applications or don't scale correctly for large type programs, etc.

I have all four recommended browsers for OSX and I can confirm the page renders correctly on all of them, something few other large websites can claim.

And in Firefox, it loads and renders ridiculously fast, something else Boeing says the redesign was meant to achieve.

Hopefully in the future they will soften up the look a bit, but it functions as they designed it, with no errors I can find yet.

Gatorman96

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:58 pm

Boeing's new site is more simple compred to the old one, but it is still easy to navigate and has the same if not more info. I hate to say it, but I like Airbus' site better...

freedom4all

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:05 pm

I think its got a good new look, I had no problem getting around on the old site though, I can understand how this one is easier
long live the 747!