vincewy

Market(s) Of Premium Economy, Fully Tapped?

Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:35 am

Just returned from my trip to Taiwan via BR, going ED one way, returning C class with my mileage upgrade, while I enjoyed the foods/services, I felt I enjoyed almost as much on EVA's deluxe, except that extra food portions and have them presented on plates.

Which leads to me thinking if more airlines can offer this class and forgo First Class (hardly anyone is paying full price for it nowadays), since each seat takes 25% to 50% more space per seat, if airlines offer this class with +25% to +50% increase of cattle class fares, many more people would be glad to pay for that extra space, especially flying long haul.

Another service that private companies should also look into, pay per use VIP lounge regardless of airlines and class you're flying, I know a few airports have them, most don't, you need to fly F/C/J class and/or be elite frequent flyers to have access to them.

UN_B732

RE: Market(s) Of Premium Economy, Fully Tapped?

Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:47 am

There are many pay per use options from airlines, but they're expensive ($35-50 day passes)
virgin blue has pay-per-use lounges at far more reasonable prices.
What now?

alexchao

Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:29 am

Well, we are well-aware that EVA Air intends to scrap all of their First Class seats and transition into Premium Laurel, Elite, and Economy. I still think there's a market for international First Class, but I'm not sure how big the market is.

As UN_B732 mentioned, they already have day passes here in the U.S. I think it would be difficult for one single company to provide lounge access at every airport given the amount of terminals in each airport.

EK380

Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:31 pm

I think that theres still a pretty large market for international F class. Many carriers still use it on their "trump" routes.

Although over the past one or two years there has been a trend where airlines have revamped their J/C class product and simply scraped their first class
Example: Lufthansa on their A346s
SQ on their long haul A345s
Virgin Atlantic "upper class" i don't know whether it falls under F or C

Anymore you guys can think about??

[Edited 2005-12-13 08:32:43]