lazyshaun

National Airlines That Are Too Small?

Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:11 am

Do you know of any national airlies that are too small in fleet/capacity for the countries needs?

We all know about ones that are way bigger than whats needed for the population e.g.Singapore, possibly Emirates(certainly will be...)

But can you think of any that are maybe smaller than other airlines in that country? e.g.Air India is state owned, and therefore the countries national airlines, though there are other airlines in India that are certainly getting close on AI's tail in terms of fleet size/capacity.

Any ideas?
I came. I saw. I conquered

2travel2know

RE: National Airlines That Are Too Small?

Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:24 am

I would think Cubana, TAAG Angola..
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

YULWinterSkies

Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:52 am

And let's not forget the US national airline, with the record of 0 aircraft and 0 route and 0 hub and 0 years of existence!

By the way, what exactly do you mean by national airline: state owned, state/private shared with a big part being owned by the state, or just a flag carrier?

SN comes to my mind, but we all know what happened when it used to be bigger, so is it really too small now? I doubt it...
Also AM and MX (whichever of them falls into that category). I know that our Mexican fellows won't disagree with that statement!
When I doubt... go running!

jetdeltamsy

Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:23 am

Swiss is a perfect example of this. Their far-flung route structure could never have been supported by their ZRH and GVA passenger base.

That being said, KLM is much, much larger than it's local population could ever support. They make a ton of money attracting connecting passengers through AMS because of their repuatation for safety and reliability.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos