micstatic

Delta: Worthless Skymiles

Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:24 am

Hey guys,
I've been a long time Delta loyalist until recently. Being on the east coast I have always found them to be convenient. Further, I've always thought they had nice people working for them. I've recently had a dramatic shift in loyalty. I will choose to fly other carriers when possible due to the crap Skymiles program they run. It seems next to IMPOSSIBLE to get a 25K round trip super saver award ticket these days with them. I realize other carriers are getting complaints about this, but I can tell you that I've found Delta has even less 25K trips available. As upgrades become even more rare, do you think Delta should just look into cutting its program all together?
Any others experience this?

[Edited 2005-12-14 17:25:24]
S340,DH8,AT7,CR2/7,E135/45/170/190,319,320,717,732,733,734,735,737,738,744,752,762,763,764,772,M80,M90

767-332ER

RE: Delta: Worthless Skymiles

Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:31 am

I've used my miles to get a sweet trip this summer, so then why should skymiles be taken out like you say?

[Edited 2005-12-14 17:32:34]
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

767-332ER

Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:31 am

So just because you are one person that's whining about the program, why should the rest of us suffer? Just take your whining somewhere else and fly them...everyone has reasons as to why they choose their air carriers, use this one as your reason.

micstatic

Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:35 am

767-332ER.
Your nickname indicates that you may have a bias in this case, so forgive me for not putting a large amount of weight in your response. Further, if you think nobody is complaining, I will not be able to put any weight into your response. Please go over to one of the major frequent flier sites that caters to business travelers.
S340,DH8,AT7,CR2/7,E135/45/170/190,319,320,717,732,733,734,735,737,738,744,752,762,763,764,772,M80,M90

litz

Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:36 am

I used skymiles for a trip to Denver last spring, no problems at all.

All depends on what's available and when, same as the ultra-low LUT fares.

You could also use 'em to buy CRC access, or any of the other redemption options they have ...

- litz

D950

Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:39 am

Just think about all the free magazines you can get.
Resting on your laurels is a synonym for flirting with disaster

MattRB

Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:39 am

Micstatic, I will happily take your miles off your hands if you are unhappy with them  Wink Big grin
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

BNinMSY

Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:43 am

I work with this daily ... and Delta, followed by Continental are the two most difficult to obtain 25k award or any sort of Europe award - because they have the market wrapped up. They have given you more opportunities to earn mileage, e.g. bonus offers, credit card miles, etc. So they think they are justified in only offering inventory for the 50k mile awards. American AAdvantage IMO offers more opportunities for 25k and upgrades. Don't work with UA that much so don't know about them.

My problem with Delta Skymiles and CAL Onepass is they tout these programs so heavily and give the impression that you can just 'go everywhere for free' - not so at all - then your free ticket has $40 to $90 in taxes, processing fees attached, late fees...etc.etc.

If the airlines did lay off all their frequent flyer support personnel, eliminate the 800's to such, stop touting something that just ticks consumers off - they might could lower operating cost - but I don't see a single one willing to risk the potential loss of brand loyalty. They do need to simplify the programs however.

micstatic

Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:43 am

Quoting MattRB (Reply 6):
Micstatic, I will happily take your miles off your hands if you are unhappy with them

Delta won't let you cash them in anyway!!  Wink

767-332ER

Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:48 am

Quoting Micstatic (Reply 3):
767-332ER.
Your nickname indicates that you may have a bias in this case, so forgive me for not putting a large amount of weight in your response. Further, if you think nobody is complaining, I will not be able to put any weight into your response. Please go over to one of the major frequent flier sites that caters to business travelers.

Yes I have a bias in that I am a loyal Delta flier and have used miles many times and have never run into any problems. Again, I am saying that if you are going to whine, then you have alternatives to use, especially if you are located in NY. No one is forcing you to use Delta. My only point is to take another carrier if you don't like their program and not to suggest the demise of the skymiles program just because you don't like it.

[Edited 2005-12-14 17:50:18]

micstatic

Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:55 am

767-332ER
I have used them many times as well. Make no mistake, I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm using this forum, to voice my opinion. I am simply pointing out that Delta's program has fallen off compared to many others. This fall off has caused me to shift. Please just remember, I'm not alone in this feeling. I honestly hope DL pulls through their financial dire straights. But it doesn't look good on many accounts.

L104me

Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:57 am

I think Delta's program is really no different from any of the other major carriers. It's very hit or miss! I've been able to get some excellent trips using Skysavers. For example, just this past month on Thanksgiving week, I flew from TPA-ATL-PWM on Wednesday before Thanksgiving and back home on Sunday after Thanksgiving using Skysavers (two of the busiest travel days of the year) yet I tried recently to do this same route for next April and May and could not get Skysavers. I checked USAirways, Northwest, and Continental for the days I was looking for, and no one had anything.

My best advise is to book either very early (as I did for the Thanksgiving trip) or book very late.

If you want to do a little comparison shopping, go to Continentals web site. You can access their Frequent Flyer seats without having a OnePass number, plus their site shows you what's available for the whole month you're searching. Keep in mind that they are a Delta partner and you may be able to use Skymiles on CO. One thing I have found out though, is just because it's available on CO, does not mean DL will be able to get it for you. I found an available seat on CO, but when I called DL was not able to give me the seat, however, they offered another option that had two connections, but I was fine with that!

I know it can get very frustrating, but in my experience DL is actually better than most in regarding free travel.

Best of luck to You!

ContnlEliteCMH

Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:58 am

Quoting BNinMSY (Reply 7):
My problem with Delta Skymiles and CAL Onepass is they tout these programs so heavily and give the impression that you can just 'go everywhere for free' - not so at all - then your free ticket has $40 to $90 in taxes, processing fees attached, late fees...etc.etc.

If Continental gives you such an impression, I suggest you read more carefully.

http://www.continental.com/onepass/enroll/overview.asp doesn't say anything about free. I don't think I've ever seen them use the word "free" in conjunction with OnePass, at least in print. On the aircraft, though, the FA gives the obligatory pitch for OnePass right after liftoff, and I will listen more closely to see if they use "free."

You're right, though: it's supremely easy to earn miles on Continental. When I knew I would be flying between CMH and ATL weekly, I reevaluated the FF programs to see if DL would be a good choice. At the time, I could fly 50 round trips between CMH and ATL and collect very few miles and nearly no status. It's their choice to tie mileage to fare class; it's my choice to pick a FF program that rewards segments as well as length of trip.

And why should any airline have to pay the taxes for you?
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

767-332ER

Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:00 am

Of course, you are voicing your opinion and that is why you're here. I welcome your opinion and wanted to read it, that is the only way we can expand our minds. The one thing is that you suggested the cutting of the program altogether and that is why I have stepped in and what I am against. Again, I welcome your opinion as to why you have problems with the Skymiles program.

Lono

Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:21 am

Quoting Micstatic (Thread starter):
It seems next to IMPOSSIBLE to get a 25K round trip super saver award ticket these days with them. I realize other carriers are getting complaints about this, but I can tell you that I've found Delta has even less 25K trips available. As upgrades become even more rare,

I agree .... I have not had much luck.... DL cut it's service to ANC drastically these past few years and I think they are down to one flight a day.... and you can forget getting a mileage award ticket or an upgrade out of them these days....
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

Tango-Bravo

Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:23 am

As upgrades become even more rare, do you think Delta should just look into cutting its program all together?

Yes. Dumping its FF program would do wonders for Delta's recovery program. The true costs of legacy FF programs (somewhere between the stratosphere and ionosphere) are for another topic, which in fact was covered rather extensively in the recent past in this forum.

Like it or not, legacy FF programs have become high cost bait-and-switch boondoggles that continue for one reason only: the self-perpetuating myth the legacies have fallen for which is that the competition will eat their proverebial lunch if they do not maintain hopelessly convoluted FF pograms that overpromise and underdeliver, creating still more cynicism toward the legacies.

starrion

Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:24 am

I can concur that it is very difficult to get skysaver tickets. They will happily tell you that you have to book early but even at the 331 day limit you will often find no inventory. One of the reps told me I had "no chance" of finding two skysaver seats because there was only one seat allocated on that flight.

I have since cancelled my Skymiles card and have seriously reduced my use of Delta, so I have been using up my skymiles on Skychoice seats. Each of my trips to Hawaii cost 140K miles. Once this winter's trips to Florida are done, I should have just enough miles for one more trip out to paradise before I am done with Delta.
Knowledge Replaces Fear

GQfluffy

Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:41 am

Gee. The airline is cutting back on routes; seats are dissappearing. The airline needs money, so they are offering less award seating per flight. Try booking more in advance. And as others have said; stop bitching.
This isn't where I parked my car...

b777a340fan

Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:55 am

Quoting 767-332ER (Reply 2):
So just because you are one person that's whining about the program, why should the rest of us suffer? Just take your whining somewhere else and fly them...everyone has reasons as to why they choose their air carriers, use this one as your reason.

I don't think you got the original point of the forum. If I understand correct, Micstatic already has the 25K miles in his FF account, yet DL is refusing to let him redeem them claiming blackouts, etc....

Micstatic: Although I haven't experienced such irrationality from Delta, you do have to realize that the company is struggling and that it would obviously rather give tickets that are being paid for over honoring miles in its frequent flyer program. It also depends on which day you wanted to redeem those miles, ie. if you were intending on flying couple days before Christmas or New Year's, that may be a little bit more difficult. Try to work around their schedule, I'm sure they'll be happy to accomodate you. Otherwise, just save up the miles so you can actually go to Europe or Asia for free! Another option you may choose to elect is flying one of Delta's partners, like CO or NW, they do honor Delta miles. Happy Holidays  Cool

abrelosojos

Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:57 am

I am a platinum with DL and am giving it up this year. Will be in burn mode to get rid of my over 500,000 miles. Try getting a transcon even 8-9 months in advance using 25K. Limited possibility with most options being 530am departures. Try using a partner carrier like MH or SQ. Very limited availability. DL is just not worth it.

-A.
Live, and let live.

deltagator

Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:18 am

I sure would love to buy some of those miles off of you guys! Personally I have never had a problem but I booked far enough in advance to get them. The grass sure looks greener on the other side of the fence but I think you'll find just as many issues elsewhere.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

767-332ER

Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:26 am

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 18):
B777A340Fan From United States, joined Oct 2005, 40 posts, RR: 0
Reply 18, posted Wed Dec 14 2005 18:55:07 UTC+1 and read 99 times:

Quoting 767-332ER (Reply 2):

I don't think you got the original point of the forum. If I understand correct, Micstatic already has the 25K miles in his FF account, yet DL is refusing to let him redeem them claiming blackouts, etc....

I got the post just fine...all Im saying is if he doesn't like the program, then fly someone else, not to suggest the deletion of the skymiles program as a whole, which questioned a a suggestion at the end of his initial post.

Tango-Bravo

Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:27 am

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 19):
Try getting a transcon even 8-9 months in advance using 25K. Limited possibility with most options being 530am departures. Try using a partner carrier like MH or SQ. Very limited availability. DL is just not worth it.

Worthless as you find DL to be in finding flights for 25K, at which other legacy airline(s) will you not find the same story?

travlinman

Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:34 am

I just used my skymiles to fly Air jamaica from Orlando to Montego Bay R/T. Although I had to book the flight in March, the seats were available and easy to get. In addition, I used my skymiles to purchase r/t tickets for the grandparents from SYR/MCO and had no trouble at all.

starrion

Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:37 am

The point is that Delta aggressively promotes how great their FF program is. Upgrades, free 25K miles tickets, ect.

Except when you want to use these things, they are not available.

I wouldn't for the minute suggest Delta drop it's FF program. It would be instantly uncompetitive against the other legacy carriers. I am saying that they should put the resources into the program if they are going to promote it as heavily as they do.
Knowledge Replaces Fear

isitsafenow

Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:38 am

Micstatic...you are 1000 per cent correct. You CANNOT get a 25000 mile reward to APF, Naples, FL...I dare anyone to try. I have been working on it since they started service last Sept into APF. Its 50000 miles or Greyhound, folks. I have also tried a 25000 ticket to SAN and no luck. I ended up buying one with UA out of ORD for $198 RT...(getting to ORD is another adventure).

Also...... when buying a ticket.......Notice with NW and DL some of the long layovers to get the lowest fare between two cities. I could drive it faster in a couple of cases I checked out.
Back to subject. Anyone who disagrees with you, Micstatic, does not understand what you are saying. I do and wish you the best of luck finding the 25000 miles freebee with DL. You're gonna need it.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

abrelosojos

Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:51 am

Quoting Tango-Bravo (Reply 22):
Worthless as you find DL to be in finding flights for 25K, at which other legacy airline(s) will you not find the same story?

= Best success for me has been US on intra-US transcons. I am Gold on US, UAL, and Plat on DL.

-A.
Live, and let live.

flydl2atl

Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:03 am

There's been some definite inflation in the skymiles program especially with American Express giving out so many miles. However, it is still possible to use them. You just have to be FLEXIBLE. I booked a skysaver award from May 6th - May 16th to Europe (flying into LGW and out of CDG) - cost 50,000 miles and $35.00. They didn't even charge extra for flying out of CDG (although there were no outbound skysaver seats out of LGW and no inbound to CDG)...

I guess Sky Choice tickets aren't available to APF...but there's plenty available to RSW. You just have to be flexible. Nothing is truly free in life, but if you open yourselves up, the skymiles program is a great deal - especially if you charge everything on your AMEX.

soundtrack

Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:10 am

I fly several hundred thousand miles a year - with this I have earned equally or greater the amount being Premium or whatever upgrade members on several airlines. I fly globally and extensively using US airlines mileage programs as the base and their partners.

Micstatic - your frustrations are understood and I completely agree.

From my experience, airlines offer VERY limited seating for free seats ESPECIALLY the saver awards unless you are willing to:
-be VERY flexible (like stops - bad times - less efficient routings)
-plan way in advance unless willing to pay and 'arm and a leg' double miles to wipe out the blackouts!
-remember it is a benefit, a reward 'mentality' rather than 'they owe me'. (to be supportive of the airline)

...and this is hard to do if you have a personal schedule to meet like be back at work on Monday morning - but this is reality.

But on the flip side of the coin, airlines Mileage programs/loyalties and partnerships are MAJOR attractions for customers sticking to airlines. This is why we fly them - so airlines I believe need to take into greater account.

It does feel idiotic to spend 50k for a free ticket when you can spend half especially if you can use 50k for First in the US in advance. But the reality is you have to be FLEXIBLE to get what you want. And they don't make this easy and it is very difficult if last minute - you have to be lucky.

I have flown the US majors extensively - here is what I have found to be the better programs:

American - Although they charge for last mn flying - they've done a very good job I believe and offer rewards and seemingly (unless I just get lucky) with more seats. I've redeemed last mn NY to Chicago using only 15k award (under 1000miles is 15k) - overseas East Coast to HKG and when AA flight was delayed - they rerouted using EVA Air. Was quite impressed with this.

United - When flight was delayed - I got rerouted using ANA - was quite pleased with the help. Used Intl Award business many times - must be flexible of course and plan monthS in advance!

Delta - Very hard to get the 25 k award - in using United, American - much better availabilities. Now if you live in ATL - I believe the opinion may differ.

One important thing to remember - if using a PARTNER - some airlines alliances DO NOT ALLOW changing any dates of return, etc. Some agents fail to mention this - so if not sure, fly the same airline and not an overseas partner.

Overall - airlines with such a complicated allotment of choices do a fair job - as long as you are willing to pay more or use more miles. Super Savers are very difficult unless you play by their rules.

Best thing to remember is that they are FREE - so PLAN AHEAD to WIN. Actually, they are not free - they are calculated into fees/etc we pay for to accumulate them.

A330323X

Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:20 am

Quoting Tango-Bravo (Reply 15):
The true costs of legacy FF programs (somewhere between the stratosphere and ionosphere) are for another topic, which in fact was covered rather extensively in the recent past in this forum.

That would be why US just got $455 million from Juniper Bank for the right to issue their mileage credit card?

And why AC sold a chunk of Aeroplan on the stock market, which has a market capitalization of over C$2.2 billion?
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

B777-700

Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:42 am

Again, another Delta bashing post that is just a FOUNTAIN of misinformation.

It seems next to IMPOSSIBLE to get a 25K round trip super saver award ticket these days with them. I realize other carriers are getting complaints about this, but I can tell you that I've found Delta has even less 25K trips available. As upgrades become even more rare, do you think Delta should just look into cutting its program all together?

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2004-08-01-awards_x.htm

USA Today survey: Look who the leading carrier was...

"Overall, Delta's SkyMiles frequent-flier program was the top performer, rendering free seats on the desired route and day 85% of the time."

This all depends on where you want to go and when. I've found the ones who bitch the most are the ones who want to go to CUN in March-April, MSY during Marti Gras, Europe during the summer, and Hawaii / LAS pretty much anytime.

There are at least 9 SkySaver seats allotted on each flight. I can assure you Delta gives out at many as they can to still be able to make a profit on that flight. I mean, that's what they're in business to do right?

The problem is demand, and inflexibility. There is too much demand for the SS seats. Now, you can say the company builds up people expectations, however all the rules are right there for anyone to take the time to read on delta.com or your introductory letter. Seriously, Delta could fill planes to Hawaii just with SS seats. There is simply not enough seats to meet demand, nor should there be.

Second, everyone wants the nonstop flight, and they day they want to travel, at the hour they want to travel. I've found again that the people who are not flexible complain the most. They don't want one or two connections to get from Dothan, Alabama to Belgrade, Slovakia. They don't want a 3 hours layover in AMS. These people, and it sounds like you're one of them, have their expectations too high to start with.

These things I mention will be true on all other carriers. Now, Delta has over 10 partners. If Delta is sold out, any agent will gladly check the FF partner carriers. If they're all sold out too, what does that tell you?

That's why there's SkyChoice. SC was created based on feedback from Skymiles members. No one is "forcing" you to use double miles. It's an OPTION you have. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to explain that to people.

Quoting Micstatic (Reply 3):
Please go over to one of the major frequent flier sites that caters to business travelers.

Well, I found the link to the USA Today article on FlyerTalk!  

Quoting BNinMSY (Reply 7):
and Delta, followed by Continental are the two most difficult to obtain 25k award or any sort of Europe award - because they have the market wrapped up.

Wrong: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2004-08-01-awards_x.htm

Quoting Starrion (Reply 16):
One of the reps told me I had "no chance" of finding two skysaver seats because there was only one seat allocated on that flight.

If you're not making that up, then that agent was stupid and I apologize on their behalf. Again, it all depends on where you want to go, when, and your flexibility. I'd say about 90% of the time, Delta finds some way to get you there.

Each of my trips to Hawaii cost 140K miles.

You just solved you own problem. Honestly, do you think you were the only person in the world to get the bright idea to use your miles to Hawaii?

Once this winter's trips to Florida are done, I should have just enough miles for one more trip out to paradise before I am done with Delta.

I'm sorry to hear that. Before you explore your options, I'd like to arm you with some information. You will have the same situation at all other carriers. Please remember this. If Delta is sold out, nine time out of ten so is CO, NW, and AS.

If I understand correct, Micstatic already has the 25K miles in his FF account, yet DL is refusing to let him redeem them claiming blackouts, etc....

No one is refusing to let him redeem miles. There are NO blackout dates. This is a myth. The SS seats are simply sold out on his ideal flights.

Although I haven't experienced such irrationality from Delta, you do have to realize that the company is struggling and that it would obviously rather give tickets that are being paid for over honoring miles in its frequent flyer program.

The SS inventory has not changed at all since the bankruptcy filing. This is another myth.

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 19):
I am a platinum with DL and am giving it up this year. Will be in burn mode to get rid of my over 500,000 miles. Try getting a transcon even 8-9 months in advance using 25K. Limited possibility with most options being 530am departures. Try using a partner carrier like MH or SQ. Very limited availability. DL is just not worth it.

That is your decision to make, just remember what I said above: You will experience the same thing on other carriers. And somewhere there's a CO elite saying the same thing about them, and how they'll only fly on Delta from now on. Threats like that don't bother anyone anymore.

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 25):
You CANNOT get a 25000 mile reward to APF, Naples, FL...I dare anyone to try.

Well, considering there's only two flights a day to APF (last I checked) and they are on RJ's (less seats) and those flights are full, yeah it might be hard to get SS seats, if you look at it like that. Guess you don't want to go to RSW huh? Trying to fly during a holiday or Spring Break?

Also...... when buying a ticket.......Notice with NW and DL some of the long layovers to get the lowest fare between two cities. I could drive it faster in a couple of cases I checked out.

The lowest fares are available on those flights because the lowest fares have already been sold out on the more direct options and that's all that's left. Again, there's no conspiracy, it's common sense. There's more demand for direct travel, so those sell first.

Back to subject. Anyone who disagrees with you, Micstatic, does not understand what you are saying. I do and wish you the best of luck finding the 25000 miles freebee with DL. You're gonna need it.

I disagree with him. USA Today does too. I book award seats everyday for the past two years for a major airline. Are you going to tell me that I don't understand?

And for all of you who say you're just burning thru your miles or think they're "worthless" and wont fly on Delta anymore, here's a better solution. Give your miles to the SkyWish Foundation so some sick childern or Katrina victims can travel, and start flying on your other carrier now.

Let's see how many put their miles where there mouths are.

[Edited 2005-12-14 20:53:03]
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

travelin man

Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 am

I don't have experience with DL, but UA and (especially) AA are fairly easy to obtain ff awards on. With AA, I've been able to get a last-minute BUR-DFW award ticket (I mean, it was the next day). I just got TWO 30,000 mile LAX-OGG tickets for travel in late January on the days I wanted.

Of the things that I like about AA, their ff award availability is just about #1. I've had good luck in getting 1st class international award tickets and award tickets to Hawaii on UA as well.

Xkorpyoh

Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:53 am

I just booked a trip on DL/KE to HAN and CGK for FEB06 using the skysaver awards and was not an issue at all with DL.

The problem was CO:
- I wanted to use CO miles for the same trip and they just couldn't get me any seats that were suppose to be available as per the information given by to me by DL.
- CO refused to book Song for the domestic portion because "it is a code-shared flight"...duhh.. is DL anyway.
- THe KE flights that DL found available for me, CO couldn't find them available. They couldn't even find specific KE flight I was given them claiming they were not in their system. (but DL found them).
- I spent almost 45 min on the phone with CO trying to book this trip and gave up. I called DL and it was done in 5minutes. No problems, no issues, no drama, no attitute.

In case you didn't know, you can go to the NWa.com's Japan site to find award availability on many of the Skyteam partners. You can also use continental.com and delta.com to check availability.

I never use miles to fly US domestic because I think it is a waste. I only use them for long haul intl. flights and have never had a problem getting seats using miles. (I always plan ahead)

FlyPNS1

Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:07 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 30):
"Overall, Delta's SkyMiles frequent-flier program was the top performer, rendering free seats on the desired route and day 85% of the time."

But this article doesn't differentiate between SkySaver and SkyChoice. If you include SkyChoice, I'd certainly agree that you can usually find the itinerary you want. BUT, if you only look at SkySaver, good luck.

This article is misleading and also a little out of date. DL has cut significant capacity from its system (since 2004) which is bound to mean fewer frequent flyer seats.

There are at least 9 SkySaver seats allotted on each flight.

This is simply NOT true and your statement really discredits you. Do you really think DL would allocate 9 SkySaver seats on a 40 seat RJ? That's almost 25% of the inventory.

Count me among the others who have dumped their DL SkyMiles AMEX. Instead I went with a cash back card where I'll easily get $500 in cash back each year, PLUS no $85 annual fee. The $585 is enough to easily buy a few tickets. Plus, I don't have to try and stay loyal to a particular airline. I can fly whichever airline is convenient.

micstatic

Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:10 am

I disagree with him. USA Today does too. I book award seats everyday for the past two years for a major airline. Are you going to tell me that I don't understand?

well, not sure. I will tell you if you think the USA Today is gospel you may not be getting the whole picture.

beertrucker

Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:13 am

Hi all. I am a loyal DL custermer. Yes I used to work for DL, but that is not why I choose them. I have found in my time trying to use FF miles for flights that any airline I try to get them on never seems to have the flights I want to use on it. I know this is not the same but just something to think about. I live near Orlando FL now and if the people who live in FL buy a Disney or universal year pass to those theme Parks, yes we have blackout dates on those too. I have always found the best way for these things is if you want to use your FF or passes if Florida cases. Is to try to book those tickets or times when it is not a real busy time for flying. I am a member of almost every single airline FF program. I would rather to pay most of the time to get the flights and the times I want when I fly, then have to find the flights I can get on that might not work fully with my schedule I have where I am going to be going to. As for the upgrades. I have had no trouble with the upgrades when I do it at the gate at all.
Well that just my 2 cents.
Fly HI

B777-700

Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:27 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 33):
But this article doesn't differentiate between SkySaver and SkyChoice. If you include SkyChoice, I'd certainly agree that you can usually find the itinerary you want. BUT, if you only look at SkySaver, good luck.

It doesn't differentiate between ANY of the airlines award levels, so it's fair. Besides, if SC was included, then they'd get 100% results or damn close because with that you can go on any flight.

DL has cut significant capacity from its system (since 2004) which is bound to mean fewer frequent flyer seats.

Well, duh. But this argument has been going on LONG before that.

This is simply NOT true and your statement really discredits you.

Hahaha hilarious! Really grasping at straws here huh? Listen friend, I work with this everyday, I think I know what I'm talking about. I find it amazing how people look to discredit the truth when it doesn't agree with their opinions.

Do you really think DL would allocate 9 SkySaver seats on a 40 seat RJ? That's almost 25% of the inventory.

Well, no of course not, but it's a proportionate amount, relative to the size of the aircraft. I even stated that in the post, either you didn't care to read it or have selective memory.

Quoting Micstatic (Reply 34):
well, not sure. I will tell you if you think the USA Today is gospel you may not be getting the whole picture.

InsideFlyer magazine did the survey (I think they know what they're doing) USA Today just reported the results.

But yes, you're right, it doesn't matter what they say, as long as YOU don't like it, it's crap right?

Pesky things, these facts.

[Edited 2005-12-14 21:49:05]
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

MidnightMike

Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:39 am

Hey guys,
I've been a long time Delta loyalist until recently. Being on the east coast I have always found them to be convenient. Further, I've always thought they had nice people working for them. I've recently had a dramatic shift in loyalty. I will choose to fly other carriers when possible due to the crap Skymiles program they run. It seems next to IMPOSSIBLE to get a 25K round trip super saver award ticket these days with them. I realize other carriers are getting complaints about this, but I can tell you that I've found Delta has even less 25K trips available. As upgrades become even more rare, do you think Delta should just look into cutting its program all together?

The airlines put certain % of seats on hold for frequent flyer members, other than that, everything depends on time & date. As for upgrading, roll the dice.

If the program is not working for you, there are other airlines, or other programs.

It is impossible to say whether the seats are full or if you are a whiner. If you try 25 dates, I would say that the program sucks, if you try 1 or two flights one week prior to departure, then it is your fault.....
NO URLS in signature

isitsafenow

Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:44 am

I think MICSTATIC and I are very flexible and we search daily for the deals and the 25,000"more bang for least miles" freebees. I am flexible by a week to 10 days on my freebee leisure trips and am usually out AT LEAST three months on booking. DL is not customer friendly in this category and NW is slowly getting that way. This nine free seats stuff went out years ago. The peak travel times are tough seats, either free OR cheap as someone pointed out.
NW is where most of my miles are, close to 1/4 million right now and climbs a bit every month.
Talking cheaps seats, I have a hard time understanding why when flying between LAN and STL it takes close to 8 hours...I have driven it in just over that. Figure getting to the airport 45 minutes before departure for security like you suppose to according to TSA, and you CAN drive it faster.
safe

jumbojet

Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:21 am

Dude, what are you talking about? First off, you need to have flexibility in mind when booking for sky saver. If you spend a little bit of time to shop around you will find plenty of sky saver. Unfortanately, and again, you have to be flexible.

Recently, i booked in sky saver, LGA to SXM and JFK to PBI all within the past few months with absolutely no problem. So, if you want to shift your loyalty to another airline, I think thats great because it will free up potential future sky saver seats for the other delta loyal flyers.

jumbojet

Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:23 am

In additon, your topic is misleading and should be deleted. The skymiles are worthless to you but not to the majority of the people out there. To me, you are narrow minded and probably the typical airline passenger who complains to Delta about every little nuance expecting some kind of monetery or other form of compensation. Give me a break man  butthead 

abrelosojos

Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:24 am

Again, another Delta bashing post that is just a FOUNTAIN of misinformation.

It seems next to IMPOSSIBLE to get a 25K round trip super saver award ticket these days with them. I realize other carriers are getting complaints about this, but I can tell you that I've found Delta has even less 25K trips available. As upgrades become even more rare, do you think Delta should just look into cutting its program all together?

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...x.htm

= Actually, I think your post is the one with the "fountain of misinformation" (haha, tho, I might use it as a propaganda wording). The article is over an year old - pre.bankruptcy, pre.new DL scheduling, pre.flight cuts. A 2005 analysis would be good.

Regards,
A.

PS - Check out - http://www.webflyer.com/programs/award_upgrade_index/ - this is the online cumulative statistic as per Webflyer. As you can see, DL is a VERY VERY poor performer.
Live, and let live.

PIA777

Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:26 am

I have close to 100K skymiles, I better be able to use them.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

jumbojet

Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:28 am

Quoting Soundtrack (Reply 28):
From my experience, airlines offer VERY limited seating for free seats ESPECIALLY the saver awards unless you are willing to:
-be VERY flexible (like stops - bad times - less efficient routings)

It's called capacity controlled. You can't expect any airline to give away the whole plane. Also, as far as fees, recently booked LGA to SXM, cost was $60.00 for 1st class and half of that was because of the built in departure tax. so, the fees arent that ridiculous considering a 1st class ticket LGA to SXM is well over $1000.00.

People expect the world for their miles. FLEXIBILITY is the key, not bitching and moaning about Delta: worthless sky miles

FlyPNS1

Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:58 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 36):
Listen friend, I work with this everyday, I think I know what I'm talking about. I find it amazing how people look to discredit the truth when it doesn't agree with their opinions.

If you knew what you were talking about, you wouldn't say there were 9 seats allocated on every flight. Even you admitted, that there isn't really 9 seats allocated on every flight (see below). So, you discredited YOURSELF.

Well, no of course not, but it's a proportionate amount, relative to the size of the aircraft.

I even stated that in the post, either you didn't care to read it or have selective memory.

No, you didn't.

I'm not saying SkyMiles are worthless. However, DL keeps giving out more and more miles, but the number of seats in the DL system isn't keeping up. In fact, DL is shrinking. This combination will continue to make it harder and harder to use miles. Eventually, you reach a point where the hassles of trying to find a date with SkySaver availability outweighs the value of having the miles in the first place.

sllevin

Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:07 am

Quoting Tango-Bravo (Reply 15):
Yes. Dumping its FF program would do wonders for Delta's recovery program.

You mean like the 1 billion (yes, billion) dollars that DL would have to refund to American Express for miles pre-purchased?

FF programs are ENORMOUS money making propositions for the airlines. That's why Aeroplan sold for so much money. Why United's Mileage Plus program is considered their single biggest asset.

Think about it. You get to sell and give away all these miles -- getting people to give you money for them. Then, you develop a plan wherein you only let them redeem those miles when you are sure that seat would go out empty!

How can you lose money with that? It's simple, you don't! You rake in money like rain falling from the sky.

Steve

OttoPylit

Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:37 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 44):
If you knew what you were talking about, you wouldn't say there were 9 seats allocated on every flight. Even you admitted, that there isn't really 9 seats allocated on every flight (see below).

Well, I don't know what your talking about, but right now, I am looking at availability for 23Dec from JAX-CVG and see 9 open Skysaver seats for flight 5854 departing at 5:05pm. Now, I think that is an excessive amount for an RJ, but its right there, in blue and white(screen default colors). So despite what 777 said before or later, I'm looking at it right now, and its there. So, in a way, he is not discredited at all.

However, DL keeps giving out more and more miles, but the number of seats in the DL system isn't keeping up. In fact, DL is shrinking.

Actually, your almost right. Delta can give out miles up the wazoo, but that doesn't guarantee that your going to get the seats when you want to. Delta can promote and give out miles all they want, but that doesn't mean they have to or will increase the number of FF seats. Same thing with store sales. Target may promote a sale for one item, but once its sold out, its sold out, they don't have to guarantee it will be there when you want it to be there. While supplies last.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

FlyPNS1

Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:56 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 46):
I am looking at availability for 23Dec from JAX-CVG and see 9 open Skysaver seats for flight 5854 departing at 5:05pm.

Too bad Delta's website says that only SkyChoice is available for that flight. And while I'm sure there are some flights that do have 9 seats allocated, it certainly isn't every flight.

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 46):
Delta can promote and give out miles all they want, but that doesn't mean they have to or will increase the number of FF seats

You're correct. DL is free to give out as many miles as they want and offer as few FF seats as they want. However, if DL goes too far, they will start to piss off customers and those customers may take their loyalty elsewhere. How many customers can DL afford to tick off these days?

DeltaMIA

Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:03 am

I'm not saying SkyMiles are worthless. However, DL keeps giving out more and more miles, but the number of seats in the DL system isn't keeping up. In fact, DL is shrinking.

Then a customer maybe more inclined to use miles for a SkyChoice award.

SkyChoice would be 100%. Unfortunately not everyone is willing to take a 6AM or a 6PM flight through ATL to get to their destination. The article says day and route, not necessarily desired route and time. I am sure the 15% are those that are requesting travel during peak times to peak destinations.

I realize other carriers are getting complaints about this, but I can tell you that I've found Delta has even less 25K trips available. As upgrades become even more rare, do you think Delta should just look into cutting its program all together?

Everyflight, everyday has passengers who have been given complimentary medallion upgrades and have used 25k awards. Unfortunately they do beat others to it. DL offers a non-discounted award at 50,000 miles and DL offers First class for sale for those that can't take advantage of the benefits of the program.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

isitsafenow

Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:06 am

FLYPNS1....paragraph one, post 47
amen..
That's one point I am trying to get across to a couple of people here.
Now try APF in January or April, or May . By looking at seat charts, some of these flights are empty but try to get the skySAVER(25000) seat.
You will have a better chance of Santa Claus bringing you a red Jaguar with Pam Anderson in the front seat.

safe