aileron11

Between Airbus And Boeing Orders

Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:25 am

I will start by saying that iam big time Boeing fan, but I was just wondering between Airbus and Boeing how much work is in house rather then subbed out? Also, do both company’s use the same sub contractor to help build there airplanes. So what I am trying to say for both company’s Airbus and Boeing is with the help with other company’s around the world is the reason why both Airbus and Boeing are so successful. Does anyone agree or disagree. Thanks
Jersey Lou

Stitch

RE: Between Airbus And Boeing Orders

Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:29 am

Both companies share many component suppliers, and an Airbus (or Airbus-related) division is making parts for the 787. Boeing is moving to outsourcing everything but final large-scale component assembly. The 787 will be the first model to be built this way, and Japan is capable of pre-fabbing a good deal of the 777 structure that is now currently assembled in the Everett plant, so that line down the road may start getting larger pre-fabbed structures.

I am far less familiar with Airbus, but I imagine their various plants also outsource components before assembly and then these pre-fabbed components are sent to TLS and HAM for final assembly.

aileron11

Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:35 am

Stitch, Thank you for your responses. I got to say. Little surprised on the lack of replies.
Jersey Lou

trex8

Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:43 am

IIRC something like a quarter of the 777 airframe comes from non US suppliers (Japan) and a half of that in the 767, and almost a full half of the 787 (Japanese have what 35% and the Italian share of the Alenia Vought partnership is about 12%).
Airbus being made up of what were once multiple partners throughout Europe still gets bits and pieces from all the main partners who are either now in EADS (who own 80% Airbus) or are in BAe (20%).
When you factor in the engines which can be a substantial part of the price, this can really up the % of the whole aircraft cost which is foreign sourced.
Also many contractors then subcontract out to suppliers scattered all over the globe.

flyAUA

Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:33 am

40% of the A380 is outsourced, 50% of the A350 will be outsourced, and 60% of the next new Airbus aircraft will be outsourced. Sorry, don't know about Boeing.
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos