ETStar
Topic Author

Seat Recline No More! Do Airlines Allow It?

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:31 am

I just saw this thing on TV and thought I'd share with a.netters. It's called a "knee defender", which one would insert on the seat in front of him/her to disable the reclining of the seat in front. Basically, it's clamps that you would put between the base of the seatback tray and the seatback, which would effectively block the reclining of the seat. Does anyone here use this 'device'? How do airlines react to it?

Oh, and there is even a website for the device, http://www.kneedefender.com

AJRfromSYR

RE: Seat Recline No More! Do Airlines Allow It?

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:37 am

If you have no balls to tell the guy infront of you, you can give him this card.

http://www.kneedefender.com/html2/misc/court_crd-prnt_pg.htm

This is BS.
-AJR-

ba97

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:40 am

I have to get one of these. Many times I have watched my laptop screen start to buckle when I am caught by the reclining seat in front. I wonder what the "rule" is, not the etiquette, on reclining. Do I own "rights" to the full use of the tray for my seat? I can see a few cross words on this gizmo.
there is economy class, business class, first class...then Concorde..pure class

AJRfromSYR

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:44 am

Quoting Ba97 (Reply 2):
Do I own "rights" to the full use of the tray for my seat?

Does the guy infront own rights to the full use of his seat?
-AJR-

luisca

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:52 am

Would you like to be the guy in front? who cant recline becouse you are such a jerk?. If you dont want to be cramped then dont fly fricking coach.

If i learn that their was a anus whole behind me using this I would get up and punch him if he refused to remove it, i can assure you that the morons using this are reclining their seat completely.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

airtran737

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:53 am

If a guy put that on my seat I would slam my seat backwards repeatedly to break that thing. I'm 6'5" and when I buy a seat I am buying the range of motion that comes with it, nobody other than a uniformed crew member can tell me otherwise.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

qqflyboy

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:48 am

It is specifically prohibited on board AA. We've even added wording to the American Way magazine: Devices that could cause damage to equipment or that may diminish the design, function, or capability of the aircraft are prohibited. This was added as a direct result of the Knee Defender and other products like it.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

AJRfromSYR

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:59 am

Quoting Qqflyboy (Reply 6):
It is specifically prohibited on board AA. We've even added wording to the American Way magazine: Devices that could cause damage to equipment or that may diminish the design, function, or capability of the aircraft are prohibited. This was added as a direct result of the Knee Defender and other products like it.

Any stories of run ins with these things?
-AJR-

airfoilsguy

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:06 pm

I think they are hilarious. People that are dumb enough to pay for these deserve all the abuse they will get. If someone tried to use them on me I would flush them down the nearest toilet.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

SHUPirate1

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:14 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 8):
If someone tried to use them on me I would flush them down the nearest toilet.

Ummm...do you mean the person or the device? Last I checked, the airplane lav holes weren't big enough to fit a person through, and they probably aren't big enough to fit a device like this through either.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

luv2fly

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:15 pm

There has been threads about this in the past and lengthy ones if I remember correctly. Though not in a long time.
You can cut the irony with a knife

nonrevman

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:22 pm

This has been around well over a year, we even had a lengthy thread about it. A couple of things worth mentioning:

(1) You can only use it if your tray table is extended.

(2) The device can be defeated by excessive force from the passenger who is trying to recline. This will result in damage to the tray table.

I doubt very many of these things are sold since I have yet to hear a horror story about a conflict regarding one of these devices. If I find I am being restricted from reclining, I am first going to ask nicely to remove the device. If that fails, then I am going to put my strength into defeating that device. Seriously, if you think I am going to go on an overnight flight without reclining, you are delusional.

abba

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:30 pm

Quoting Ba97 (Reply 2):
I have to get one of these. Many times I have watched my laptop screen start to buckle when I am caught by the reclining seat in front. I wonder what the "rule" is, not the etiquette, on reclining. Do I own "rights" to the full use of the tray for my seat? I can see a few cross words on this gizmo.

Then there are the odd fellow who - being told not to recline during meals by the FAs - at the very moment their back are turned towards them recline their seats again. I have once got a glass of beer all over the place due to such moron. I'd rather see airlines adopting seats where the recline function could be turned on and off.

PS as a matter of principle I will not consider myself as a policeman of the flight and if and when it might be necessary - for what ever reason - to have people being told something I will call the FAs. They have the authority. Not me.

Abba

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:36 pm

The guy that sells the Knee Defenders will soon go out of business when all the B787's, A350's and A380's with the fancy wraparound modular seats, I've seen in their cabin mock-ups.

[Edited 2005-12-16 04:45:51]

AJRfromSYR

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:40 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 13):
The guy that sells the Knee Defenders will soon go out of business when all the B787's, A350's and A380's with the fancy wraparound modular seats, I've seen in there cabin mock-ups.

Well that and if he wants to use his laptop he can go to the onboard internet cafe right?
-AJR-

symphonik

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:46 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 5):
If a guy put that on my seat I would slam my seat backwards repeatedly to break that thing. I'm 6'5" and when I buy a seat I am buying the range of motion that comes with it, nobody other than a uniformed crew member can tell me otherwise.

I'm 6' 6", so I'm surprised by your reaction. I know your knees press right up against the seat in Y. Doesn't it break your kneecaps when someone leans back into you?

I'm not saying I'd buy one of these—unlike the buyers of this crap, I have the (cough) "testicular fortitude" to just say, "hey man, my knees are right in your seat, mind not reclining?"—but certainly your "I'm going back whether you like it or not, biatch!" attitude is a bit strange for someone so tall.

I love this quote from the "courtesy card": Knee Defenders are small plastic devices that help me protect myself.

rotfl 

Grow a spine, nancy, sheesh!

FLAIRPORT

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:52 pm

Quoting Luisca (Reply 4):
Would you like to be the guy in front? who cant recline becouse you are such a jerk?. If you dont want to be cramped then dont fly fricking coach.

Some airlines only have coach. My suggestion is to fly in the bulkhead row. I did this yesterday BDL-FLL...I was able to cross my legs on board...and in the leather seats on Song, it felt like I was in my family room!

That being said, I have never and will never recline, no matter how uncomfortable I feel, in coach unless there is noone in the seat behind me. I do it out of common courtesy.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

aileron11

Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:04 pm

I can see a big fight break out because of these foolish device and the plane has to divert because of it and that will be the end of the knee defenders on all flights. The forums on A.net alone discussing these knee defenders causing people to be disgruntle and we are all on the ground.  box   box 
Jersey Lou

malaysia

Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:04 pm

I bet this would be more fun to use in Asia, cause I dont think Asian airlines know much about this product, lets just use it on Air Asia hehe, oh wait they dont recline enough to bang into you.

but my general rule when I recline is I try to wait till the meals are removed from behind then I will recline, but I would go slowly and slowly till I finish my recline.

never had a problem. but it gets a bit annoying when seat must be upright if somoene is behind you during meals.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

Fly2HMO

Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:32 pm

A cheaper solution would be to go to wal-mart and get to cheap vice grips and use them in the same way, or anything else you can put in between for that matter.

At 5'10" I have no problems though, but I could understand how people would go to such desperate measures...

joness0154

Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:38 pm

No one is going to tell me whether I can recline my seat or not. If someone put that device onn the back of my chair you could be they'd be gone in a few minutes as I continuously tried to recline my seat.

If meals were out, etc, I'd not recline my seat, but once the guy behind me was done I'm gonna make myself as comfy as I want to be.

If you have long legs, etc....sit in an exit row, first class, or fly a different airline.
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

whauet

Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:04 pm

The irony is that when you are in a car and have people in the rear seat, the passengers in the front almost always ask, "Do you have enough room?" as they slowly move the seat back. We do it when we have friends in the car, we do it when we have co-workers in the car (even those you don't like, but since you were the only one who rented a car and have to play 'taxi', you still extend that courtesy). Even more so, how many people who would buy this product and/or thinks it's the best idea in the world recline their own seat? (Yeah, I think I see a lot of hands raised)...  Wink

I recline my seat all the way back maybe 50% of the time, the rest of the time it's reclined about halfway, but when I do, I do it slowly. I'll move it back a little, wait a few moments, move it back a little more - giving the person behind me an implied warning that it's happening. Just because you're sitting behind me and I don't know you doesn't mean that your comfort is irrelevant... Unfortunately, not everyone behaves in that manner.

I don't think it's so much a matter of the fact that the person in front of you reclines the seat, it's that they slam their seat back in a single moment as if they're bracing for a space launch. There's tension on the seat to allow it to move back into the upright position on it's own, there should be an opposite tension so that the person can still recline the seat, but it's a relatively gradual process so that the person behind can have warning.

symphonik

Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:46 pm

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 20):
If you have long legs, etc....sit in an exit row, first class, or fly a different airline.

sarcastic 

Wow, what a total ass.

Hopefully you get some disease or other something else you can't control, and get treated that same way. Some of us have to buy our plane tickets just like you, or get stuck on a full airplane just like you.

Get over yourself, twit. You lean back after I ask you, politely, not to smash my knees and I will punch the back your head so hard you'll sleep the whole way home.

AJRfromSYR

Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:52 pm

Quoting Symphonik (Reply 22):
not to smash my knees and I will punch the back your head so hard you'll sleep the whole way home.

rotfl   rotfl 

That is priceless.
-AJR-

symphonik

Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:53 pm

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Reply 16):
That being said, I have never and will never recline, no matter how uncomfortable I feel, in coach unless there is noone in the seat behind me. I do it out of common courtesy.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Worth repeating:

I do it out of common courtesy.

Thank you, sir. I should mention before I just seem like a bitter man that most people are very, very understanding (or don't recline in the first place) and don't mind not reclining. I fly a lot, and only very occasionally do I get the self-important turd seated ahead of me.

I'll take a crying baby over a spoiled adult any day.  Smile

Type-Rated

Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:04 pm

I can just see it now, someone on a SFO-LHR flight boards, gets to their seat in economy and sees one of these "courtesy cards" in their seat.....

There isn't enough punishment in the world for that one..

Have any F/A's here actually seen this device being used? I'm betting the person who ends up with the "no recline" seat just thinks that the seat is broke and suffers along.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

irelayer

Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:20 pm

While I rarely recline my seat, If someone handed me this card I would be highly offended. Depending on my mood I might even write a note on the reverse side and hand it back to them.

-IR

symphonik

Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:31 pm

Quoting IRelayer (Reply 26):
Depending on my mood I might even write a note on the reverse side and hand it back to them.

Silly

How about, "COUPON GOOD FOR ONE (1) SPINE, HUMAN."

Eh, I'm not a comedian.  Smile

I would like to hear if any F/As have actually seen these. It's kind of like these pillows that I see in SkyMall, etc:

Things you hear about but never see people using.

goingboeing

Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:30 pm

A thought....do the people who use the knee defender recline their OWN seat??

nonrevman

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:05 pm

Here is the best compromise I can think of:

(1) There is no real need to recline on short flights or when meal service is in progress. Usually, meals are served near the beginning of a long flight.

(2) On overnight, transoceanic, or really long flights, reclining is very necessary for most people. Even when that coach seat is fully reclined, it is not that much pitch. I cannot imagine not reclining and trying to get some sleep on a long flight. It is not because I am selfish or am trying to torture the person behind me, it is simply the fact that it would be very uncomfortable to sit in that unreclined seat for 8 hours or more.

Now, if I happen to get a tall person on the very long flight. I might offer to switch seats with them so that I can recline. However, there is no way I am going to be fully upright in my seat for a long flight--not going to do it.

joness0154

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:23 pm

Quoting Symphonik (Reply 22):
Wow, what a total ass.

Hopefully you get some disease or other something else you can't control, and get treated that same way. Some of us have to buy our plane tickets just like you, or get stuck on a full airplane just like you.

Get over yourself, twit. You lean back after I ask you, politely, not to smash my knees and I will punch the back your head so hard you'll sleep the whole way home.

Hah, I was pretty inebriated last night when I wrote that, but I will still stick to my guns.

You know you have long legs. Buy your plane ticket in advance, get an exit row, bulkhead, first class, whatever. You're probably part of the same group of people that complains when you sit next to an large person. I'm sorry, but flying with my chin in my chest on long flights because of the design of the seats just doesn't cut it with me. I'm gonna recline my seat

Why do half the people on here have to say they are going to resort to violence? I think you need to get over yourself.
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

Gr8Circle

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:38 pm

Now, that's a very selfish attitude....I think just because a seat reclines, one should not use it all the way....it is necessary to think of the person behind you.... Angry

ANother

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:49 pm

If i learn that their was a anus whole behind me using this I would get up and punch him if he refused to remove it, i can assure you that the morons using this are reclining their seat completely.

Careful, the air marshals might think you were a terroist, and if you lived - you would probably have to deal with the diversion to Reykavick or Sondre Stromford.

airtrainer

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:24 pm

Oh well, and could you tell us how do you act with the people BEHIND you ?

Congratulations, Flairport  bigthumbsup 
Life is short : eat dessert first !

ba757

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:37 pm

Spot on! If only more people would adopt that attitude.

This is my big gripe with air travel - reclining seats. For gods sake ban them in Y. Simple as. Contrary to what a lot of people will say, they make bugger all difference to your comfort or posture, all they do is crush who is ever behind you.

My mate had to fly all the way to ANU from MAN this year on BD as the bitch in front of us refused not to not recline her seat, and the crew just stayed out of the matter.

I will NEVER recline my seat, ever. Period.

Adam

kiwiandrew

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:53 pm

Quoting BA757 (Reply 34):
Contrary to what a lot of people will say, they make bugger all difference to your comfort or posture

what I think you mean is that to you it makes no difference , I don't think you are qualified to talk on behalf of millions of other air travellers and say that it makes no difference to their comfort , I ( speaking solely for myself here) do find it makes a difference to my comfort . ( although as a former travel agent I can assure you that most of my economy class customers who have mentioned the subject to me have also been pro-recline.) I am courteous to whoever is behind me , just as I would hope the person in front will be to me , I do not recline ever during meal service , and I rarely recline fully , but I am not going to stay awake for 24 hours from BRU to AKL because someone else wants me to sit bolt upright . If they want to start up their own longhaul airline with non-reclining seats they are welcome to do so . Not sure how much business they will get though .

Quote:
all they do is crush who is ever behind you

not if they use their common sense and recline too

DeltaMD11

Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:06 am

Before I ever begin to recline my seat I always turn around and ask the person behind me (granted that they are not sleeping) if it is okay if I put my seat back a little. I have had issues in the past where language would have been an obvious barrier on international flights and I find that if I just slowly (not abruptly slam the seat back like most people do) let the seat recline about half way or so usually the person behind me doesn't mind. It's all about doing things in a deliberate way, making it as polite as possible. Mind you if someone ever put that thing on my seat I would ask them politely to remove it as they are inhibiting the effective operation of the seat that I paid for, or if that doesn't work usually flight attendants are more than happy to assist passengers who are having a rough time. No need to act like an ass and break the mechanism because that is only going to piss off even moreso the moron behind you that put the thing on there.
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

ba757

Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:17 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 35):
what I think you mean is that to you it makes no difference , I don't think you are qualified to talk on behalf of millions of other air travellers and say that it makes no difference to their comfort , I ( speaking solely for myself here) do find it makes a difference to my comfort . ( although as a former travel agent I can assure you that most of my economy class customers who have mentioned the subject to me have also been pro-recline.) I am courteous to whoever is behind me , just as I would hope the person in front will be to me , I do not recline ever during meal service , and I rarely recline fully , but I am not going to stay awake for 24 hours from BRU to AKL because someone else wants me to sit bolt upright . If they want to start up their own longhaul airline with non-reclining seats they are welcome to do so . Not sure how much business they will get though .

Crap. People sit on trains for longer periods of time that don't have reclining seats.

People sit in many more cramped positions without reclining seats too and don't whine about it.

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 35):
not if they use their common sense and recline too

That's just wrong.

I hate reclining seats, should be something for Business/First only.

BAN RECLINING SEATS!

Adam

kiwiandrew

Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:34 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 37):
Crap. People sit on trains for longer periods of time that don't have reclining seats.

the only 14 hour plus train journey I have ever been on the seats did recline -

incidentally , I notice from your profile that according to the list of airports visited you have never been further afield than SFO - perhaps when you have flown real longhaul rather than just transatlantic hops you will change your opinion on the importance of seat recline .

BAN RECLINING SEATS!

fine - you persuade an airline to do that and you can travel on them - the rest of us can continue to use the facility that the remaining airlines have made available to us

ba757

Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:44 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 38):
incidentally , I notice from your profile that according to the list of airports visited you have never been further afield than SFO

11-12hour flight is hardly considered short haul is it? Yeah, AMS-JFK is not really long haul, but SFO is...

Anyway who said I was talking about 14+ hr train rides... That wasn't my point, people site on trains for hours and don't moan about leg space and comfort.

I don't want to start passing personal insults with each other as thats not my kind of thing, but, I truly hate reclining seats. There isn't a great deal of need for them, especially, on short haul, intra European flights for example.

I am leaving it as this...I think I have made my point on where I stand with reclining seats.

Adam

[Edited 2005-12-16 16:45:43]

goingboeing

Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:48 am

Don't know what the trains are like in your area, but I've been on Amtrak here in the states and the "regular coach" seats had enough room to dance between me and the seat in front of me. True enough, the seat didn't recline, but then again, my knees weren't touching the upright seat in front of me either.

kaniksu

Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:04 am

I am pretty tall and I do not like it when people recline in front of me. It hits my knees and makes it impossible to use my laptop. Because of this I try and not use my recline either because I know it could affect the passenger behind me in the same way. I usually only recline if the seat behind me is empty, or if the person behind me has reclined their seat, or if it's a long flight and I have no choice.

As far as I know the Amtrak seats reclined, but they are so much larger and more comfortable then airline seats and even when reclined there is still more room then a normal airline seat.

goaliemn

Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:55 am

Wow. Considering you are probably impacted by this just as much as me (6'6") I'm shocked you'd have such an attitude over it. I've had people put their seat back.. it doesn't go back, so they start slamming it back into my knees. I politely tell them they're hitting my knees and ask them to please stop, or partially recline the seat back and they don't seem to care. I had one person signal a flight attendant because they couldn't recline. The FA asked them what she should do and they were unable to respond. The flight was full, and my knees only bend so far.

Quoting Symphonik (Reply 15):
—but certainly your "I'm going back whether you like it or not, biatch!" attitude is a bit strange for someone so tall.

Well said..

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 20):

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 30):
Why do half the people on here have to say they are going to resort to violence?

You don't say you're going to resort to violence, but you did say you'd try to break/remove the device.. does this mean you'd deliberately put your seat back as a punishment to someone who doesn't have as much space as you?

FI642

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:07 am

On Sunday Dec. 11, I was on a transatlantic flight- the woman in front of me reclined alllllll the way back. After I sneezed in her hair for the third time, up went the seat!
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

MarshalN

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:18 am

On a LH flight a few months ago the woman behind my seatmate repeatedly complained about my seatmate reclining her seat... except that everyone is doing it and the LH's great pitch (ahem) leaves you with no room whatsoever. I think it was rather rude of the pax behind as 1) they had their seats partially reclined and 2) everyone was in the same situation.

Don't like the reclining seats? Don't fly coach. Don't fly an airline that only has coach, or buy your own business jet.

Areopagus

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:22 am

I recline my seatback for two reasons. First, in narrowbodies, at least, I can't see much out the window with the seat upright because the windows are too low and too small. Second, the seats are unergonomic, with no lumbar support and with the upper back curved forward into my shoulder blades to make me slump forward. By reclining, I can breathe more easily and have less back stress. If the airlines would buy comfortable seats, reclining wouldn't be so necessary. I'm glad the newer designs are trending to larger windows.

I stand 6'3", with long legs, and my knees don't hit the seat in front. I recently flew BOS-SFO in an AA 757, and my knees contacted the seat back exactly once during the flight, when I shifted position The seat ahead was reclined. Of course, I have often been repeatedly kneed in the back by people a foot shorter than I, but they don't have to do it.

iairallie

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:26 am

Basic seat reclining etiquette 101
1.Everyone has the right to recline their seat.
2.Check behind you and recline slowly so you don't whack the person behind you in the forehead (happened to me ouch)
3.Only use as much recline as you need. More to sleep, less to read/use laptop.
4.Bring seats upright for meals, taxi, take off and landing.
5.It is also considerate to bring your seat upright if the person behind you needs to get out. If you don't prepare to be jostled and slingshot as they stumble and stager to the aisle.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

smokescreen

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:39 am

common courtesy.

Right on. A near-forgotten concept. I generally fly short hops so rarely have the need to recline. When I do, the person behind me always gets a "pardon me, do you mind if I put my seat back?" or some other formality. It's just basic manners.

On the flip side, if the person in front slams their seat back without warning then I passively-aggressively make sure they have an uncomfortable trip. My legs are strong enough to slowly push the seatback forward and then let it drop back suddenly. A few times and they get the message...

symphonik

Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:10 am

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 44):
Don't like the reclining seats? Don't fly coach. Don't fly an airline that only has coach, or buy your own business jet.

Another turd who I hope gets a broken leg or other incurable malady so someone can treat him the same way. Arrogant twit. You want to buy my first-class ticket or my business jet?  sarcastic 

Thanks to everyone who still remembers common courtesy. My knees thank you.

FlyMeToTheMoon

Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:02 am

There already is a knee-defender out there - it is called Ryanair. No reclining seats no maintenance costs.
Fly me to the moon... but not through LHR!