N1120A
Topic Author

I Just Got A Call From Richard Branson

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:06 am

Ok so I just got a call in the form of a recorded advertisment from Sir Richard Branson. He wished me a happy holidays and told me about Virgin's great deals on flights from Boston to Heathrow. First, how did VS know I was in Boston, given that my mobile phone is a California number? Second, has anyone else recieved such a call?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

fxramper

RE: I Just Got A Call From Richard Branson

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:10 am

Phone Call From Richard Branson (by VSLover Dec 16 2005 in Non Aviation)

amhilde

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:10 am

Do you normally book flights from Boston? Wonder who they paid for that information- talk about some data mining!
Hang on tightly, Let go lightly

N1120A
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:12 am

Actually, it looks like a friend set this thing up.

exFATboy

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:12 am

I just got an e-mail today asking me if I wanted to get that call - I'm signed up for VS promotion e-mails, but not a member of the FF program, so they don't have my phone number. (My last flight on VS was about 5 years ago.)

I'm guessing you belong to the FF program, or have flown VS recently, and everyone like you is getting the calls automatically. And in either case, they'd have your Boston address from that and are basing the call content on your address rather than your area code.

N1120A
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:16 am

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 4):
I'm guessing you belong to the FF program, or have flown VS recently, and everyone like you is getting the calls automatically.

I don't belong to Flying Club and have not flown Virgin since June 22nd 2004

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 4):
And in either case, they'd have your Boston address from that and are basing the call content on your address rather than your area code.

My Boston address is on absolutely none of my information. Most things are in Los Angeles, all others are New Orleans

VSlover

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:26 am

well reply #1 sums up who and why people are receiving calls.

its not random at all....

TinkerBelle

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:45 am

Damn, just started another thread about this.... SHould have used a wider search.

Quoting N1120A (Thread starter):
First, how did VS know I was in Boston, given that my mobile phone is a California number?

Sounds like someone reffered you on that link. Pretty neat stuff huuh!
If you are going through hell, keep going.

AC787

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:37 am

I've been using this service to confuse friends of mine, its pretty stupid/funny. My friend mitchell has gotten several calls implying hes gay, still hasnt figured it out. "Mitchell, This is Sir Richard Branson, your boyfriend Eddie wanted me too..." pretty childish on my part but whatever  Smile

abrelosojos

Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:12 am

Quoting N1120A (Thread starter):
Ok so I just got a call in the form of a recorded advertisment from Sir Richard Branson. He wished me a happy holidays and told me about Virgin's great deals on flights from Boston to Heathrow. First, how did VS know I was in Boston, given that my mobile phone is a California number? Second, has anyone else recieved such a call?

= I personally think you're being spied on by NSA or something. Oh wait, thats not funny. Merry Christmas tho ...

-A.

PS - I was excited that I would get a personal call ... but a recorded message  Sad!
Live, and let live.