jumbojet

Delta: JFK To HNL Would Work Great

Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:21 am

I say this because, correct me if i am wrong, but out of all the legacies that fly from the NYC market to HNL, you only have CO as a choice, all others require a connection in either Chicago, Atlanta, or Dallas. So, it seems that if Delta is willing to gamble with JFK to GRU then JFK to HNL seems like it would work. Hawaii is a rather big vacation destination and I feel they could do well with this route, opinions please.

fanoftristars

RE: Delta: JFK To HNL Would Work Great

Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:30 am

They don't have the plane for it. The 767-400s have a hard time (CO has difficulties in the winter) and they already don't have enough 763ERs. That in combination with the fact that HNL is a low yield destination, and there you have the fact that DL will never do it.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

OOer

Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:55 am

People are cheap when it comes to Hawaii!!! Compared to GRU I am sure the yields would be much lower. Why take away the traffic from other cities? DL has a very good flight schedule and options for its Hawaii operation. HNL from CVG-ATL-SLC-LAX-SFO, OGG from SLC-LAX, and KOA from SLC. Send the traffic from NYC to one of these flights...DL doesnt need anymore capacity to Hawaii!!!!

cs03

Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:59 am

HNL may be "low yield", but CO seems to be happy with EWR/HNL! With the large vacation market in long Island, JFK/HNL might do well! The CO route used to operate as a daylight flight (8:00AM-10:00PM) HNL/EWR in the 1980s, and for me, anyway, no jet lag!

LAXintl

Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:06 pm

Generally folks in the East, particularly in the North East do not look to Hawaii as a destination, hence the more limited service available.

CO gets away with its EWR-HNL service primarily due the strength of its Newark hub. Delta is quite a bit weaker in comparison at JFK, primarily operating an afternoon/evening hub geared for European flying.
Besides any equipment issues, DL is much better off serving Hawaii as it continues to do via its other hubs and gateways which are able to channel traffic demand better then what the carrier could achieve at JFK.

As a comparison I would expect UA to be able to manage and IAD-Hawaii service which would be marginal itself before DL does one from JFK. In addition AA which has quite a bit of Hawaii flying also has not done a JFK nonstop either for many of the same market reasons as DL.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California