MaverickM11
Topic Author

Nonrev Upgrades: Hope Or Ask?

Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:56 am

What's the best way to get an upgrade as a nonrev airline employee standby (not traveling on your own airline)? Do you ask for an upgrade or do you just dress real pretty and hope for one? Or do you bribe the gate agent?
E pur si muove -Galileo

dgehfx

RE: Nonrev Upgrades: Hope Or Ask?

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:08 am

DO NOT ASK!!! In my opinion, that's the fastest way to a middle seat in the last row of Y class. Try being friendly and dressing for business.

LHUSA

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:49 am

Dressing up is a very important factor when hoping for a non-rev upgrade. I've seen countless episodes of OAL non-revs flying standby to LHR that were denied First or Business class becuase they were wearing jeans or gym shoes.

Asking is not the worst thing in the world - you just have to have a feel for the gate agent and the atmosphere and phrase the question in the right way. When I've inquired about an upgrade in the past, I've always done it in a very indirect way. Saying something like "is there any room up front?" or "any chance for first?" Again, feeling out the agent is most important. If they are in a bad mood or the flight is obviously packed I wouldn't dare annoy them with my trivial questions.

I've been really lucky with non-rev upgrades. I don't fly my airilne within the States and they ALWAYS give us a space-available upgrade to First or Business. I know that UA and NW are very generous with this. Can't say for any other domestic airlines.

ca2ohHP

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:53 am

Buy the gate agent a box of donuts.

RobertS975

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:04 am

Actually, technically speaking, non-revs are NOT upgraded into biz class or FC since they were standby for the flight in the first place. They may be cleared off the standby list into FC, but that is not an upgrade since they were never in coach.

crjflyer35

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:05 am

I have a box of Godiva chocolates for the gate agents and flight / cabin crew. I fly tomorrow, so let's hope I get lucky...
Ok, wait for the RJ to pass, cleared to push tail south Mike, and you're cleared to spin #2 in the push.

BlackandWhite

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:48 am

Well i always go well dressed, never ask ,always be nice and polite and pleasant with the checkin staff and/or gate staff, never crowd the desk when boarding starts, and generally keep out the way sometimes you get in Bus or First. Although ive always looked at it your just lucky to be able to get on a flight as a nonrev.pei
My motto is " Its better to travel than to arrive" especially the time i was bounced off an ANCSEA flt in JNU.

9KBOS

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:55 am

I fly on my employee pass fairly frequently and always am well dressed and polite. Most of the time I am lucky enough to be in First or Business....and sometimes when I am not....I Just ask. Sometimes they say no...which is fine....but it is always great when they do say yes. I know sometimes agents are reluctant to do it in fear of getting into trouble....but I am sure they feel cheated out when they are traveling and the agent won't upgrade....Oh well, Non-Reving is still a great benefit and sometimes stressful! But that is what makes it fun at the same time.

An-225

Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:10 am

You don't ask. You dress well and don't bother the gate agents. Or you can ask how the flight looks today, but that's all.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

HPLASOps

Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:32 am

One time I nonreved on CO LAS - IAH redeye and wasn't even expecting FC, but I dressed nice, smiled as I walked up to the counter, and the agent offered to put me into first without even having to ask. That was a very pleasant surprise and very generous of that agent.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

DFW13L

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:05 am

I have had good luck with upgrades for the most part, and usually by not asking. BA put me in World Traveller Plus, DL First, NW First, Mesaba First! (avro FC), but one time doing HP LAS-DFW redeye, I got coach and there was not a single occupied seat in the F cabin. I figured maybe the flight attendants didn't want to deal with it for just one nonrev.
See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!

jetdeltamsy

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:05 pm

Quoting Dgehfx (Reply 1):
DO NOT ASK!!! In my opinion, that's the fastest way to a middle seat in the last row of Y class. Try being friendly and dressing for business.

What are you talking about?? ALWAYS ask...politely and be properly dressed. Most non-rev pass classes are valid for F travel. If you don't ask, it's not going to happen.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

Molykote

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:22 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Thread starter):
What's the best way to get an upgrade as a nonrev airline employee standby (not traveling on your own airline)? Do you ask for an upgrade or do you just dress real pretty and hope for one? Or do you bribe the gate agent?

Upgrading as a non-rev is a lot like hooking up in a bar.

The guy who shows up with the most outwardly deliberate intentions is least likely to succeed. Generally being well dressed with a pleasant demeanor helps (at the bars and as a non-rev).

Bribing the gate agent would be like propositioning someone when you strike out at the bar.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

malaysia

Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:57 pm

I had an embarrassing situation once, I did use the "is there room upfront" and that was with an F/A and instead of first class she placed me in a jumpseat upfront for the rest of the flight!

but Id say NW is the best and pretty much one of the few airlines I have flown with that will gladly upgrade you to Business, the best way I would do it was
send a note to the chief purser on that flight (gate agents dont do much) so have to wait till your aboard and ask for the purser and then he or she will
check back, they usually reply with, there might not be a meal available for
you, but who cares  Smile

I usually end up getting a meal anyway.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

BestWestern

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:08 pm

And always say thank you to the crew after the flight (if in C or F) - it makes their day, as so often they are taken for granted.

Dressing up doesnt mean suit and tie. It means smart casual - so often you see people wearing their badly fitting $99 christmas suit.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

AEROFAN

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:39 am

Well I'm always pretty well dressed when non revving. Asking nicely has never worked for me.
What does work for me however is to ask the check in agent if I may purchase an upgrade to business. 7 out of 10 times (my experience the agent did not know how to handle this question and the upgrade was given to me. This has worked on CO and AA. The times when it did not work were either on US and UA

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:44 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 14):
so often you see people wearing their badly fitting $99 christmas suit.

Sounds like a colleague of mine  Silly
E pur si muove -Galileo

FutureFO

Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:05 am

I wear the nicest of clothes and always list in F regardless of the policy. Most airlines will not upgrade Offline SA's. It nevers hurts to ask about a possible upgrade and if you are really nice there is always a chance of an upgrade.

Sean from MCO and IND
I Don't know where I am anymore

Flyer732

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:01 am

I flew DL up to YYZ a few weeks ago. I was cleared into Coach, as I approached the desk to board, the couple in front of me, also non-revs asked why they couldn't have seats up front. The agent seemed to get annoyed and told them they'd have to ask the flight atteandants, but to take the seats they were given for now. The couple kept arguing, but finally went down the jetway.
I approached the agent smiled and asked her how she was doing, she scanned my boarding pass and told me "I'm doing better now, feel free to take any seat in First you'd like"
Its all about your attitude, and I say NEVER ask. When I was an agent, if you asked, you were getting coach.

LHUSA

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:40 am

Quoting Flyer732 (Reply 18):
When I was an agent, if you asked, you were getting coach.

I guess I don't really understand. I'm sure there's nothing worse than an SA that acts as if they SHOULD have first, but what's the problem with an SA simply asking politely and tactfully about his or her chances of sitting up front? Of course, asking when things are crazy in the gate area is completely unacceptable, but if things are calm and the load is light, what's the big deal? We get so few perks in the airline industry, that being able to fly first is an amazing and exciting benefit of our jobs. You can't really blame people for wanting to sit up there. It's fun! The sense of camaraderie among airline employees is something that I love about this industry. It's just a shame that only half the time you're treated with overwhelming friendliness, but the rest of the time we treat each other with nothing but disrespect. Also, I'm not saying that not giving an SA an upgrade is disrespectful, I was just making a generalization about the industry in general. When I worked at the station, I was more than happy to help out any airline employee with an upgrade. Who knows... mabye one day you'll be boarding a plane at thier gate and they will return the favor.

[Edited 2005-12-20 19:45:13]

aerorobnz

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:47 am

Quoting LHUSA (Reply 19):
I guess I don't really understand. I'm sure there's nothing worse than an SA that acts as if they SHOULD have first, but what's the problem with an SA simply asking politely and tactfully about his or her chances of sitting up front? Of course, asking when things are crazy in the gate area is completely unacceptable, but if things are calm and the load is light, what's the big deal? We get so few perks in the airline industry, that being able to fly first is an amazing and exciting benefit of our jobs. You can't really blame people for wanting to sit up there. It's fun! The sense of camaraderie among airline employees is something that I love about this industry. It's just a shame that only half the time you're treated with overwhelming friendliness, but the rest of the time we treat each other with nothing but disrespect. Also, I'm not saying that not giving an SA an upgrade is disrespectful, I was just making a generalization about the industry in general. When I worked at the station, I was more than happy to help out any airline employee with an upgrade. Who knows... mabye one day you'll be boarding a plane at thier gate and they will return the favor.

Flying on Travel perks at all is a privilege. Even in Economy, we are lucky to get any seat at all. I do actually find it rude when a person on a staff ticket (ie: they pay nothing/very very little) asks about being upgraded. It shows a lack of respect for the system of priority. It is on the terms and conditions of staff travel that we travel after everyone else on revenue/revenue standby has been taken care of. The same applies in terms of order of priority for upgrades.

Gold Elite
Gold
Silver
FFlyer
Non FFlyer
Revenue Standby
Staff - Duty Travel
Staff - Leisure Travel

If the Chief Flight Attendant wants to bring staff up a class they are welcome, because once the boarding pass is issued and door 1L is shut it doesn't make a difference really, but asking to be upgraded is just tacky and low class, and in my book that makes a person not suitable for upgrade. I've never once upgraded a person that asked me (except gold Elites - but they have the premium check in so i rarely see them)- revenue or staff, yet I upgrade a few people a day at this time of year, even if it is only Y to U or U to C.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

ltbewr

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:53 am

Perhaps you shouldn't even worry about trying to get a 1st/biz class seat if the coach section isn't full anyway. If coach isn't full, you could end up with a whole row to your self, with plenty of room to stretch out, choose the window seat for parts of the flight, the aisle for most of the flight.

HS748

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:57 am

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 20):
but asking to be upgraded is just tacky and low class, and in my book that makes a person not suitable for upgrade. I've never once upgraded a person that asked me

Sounds like a very inflated sense of your own importance to me.

Flyer732

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:11 am

Quoting LHUSA (Reply 19):
I guess I don't really understand. I'm sure there's nothing worse than an SA that acts as if they SHOULD have first, but what's the problem with an SA simply asking politely and tactfully about his or her chances of sitting up front?

That wasn't what I was saying, asking "How does the flight look?" or "How does First look?" is fine. If I have a seat open up there, I'll put you there. But I've had nonrevs walk up to me and as I'm checking them in say "Can I get first?" or "Any chance of first?"

The think I hated the most is it was usualy a buddy pass, and I worked for AirTran - the flight would be at the most (when I was an agent) 2 hours long. Its not the end of the world if you don't get it on an ATL-TPA flight.

LHUSA

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:37 am

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 20):
It shows a lack of respect for the system of priority.

It goes without saying that revenue passengers should certainly get priority over non-revs and any SA that thinks differently should obviously never be given a seat in any class. Whenever I fly as a non-rev I'm more than greatful just to get any seat in any class. There's nothing wrong with simply inquiring about the chances of an upgrade and a fellow airline employee should not be penaziled if they ask out of curiosity. I didn't clearify this in my post, but I am not an advocate of blatantly asking for an upgrade. I, too, think that is tacky to just say "can I be upgraded, please?"
When I worked the gates, I had countless instances where SAs approached me about the thier odds of making the flight and what classes were open. I know how it is and how nice it is when someone actually responds in a friendly manner and not as if the traveler is being a huge annoyance. To purposely not put someone in F/C simply becuase they were excited and inquired about their chances of sitting up there seems pretty spiteful.

IAHCREW

Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:53 am

I do not know about the rest of the airlines out there, but at my airline any employee or family member, except buddypass riders can list for 1st. If you do not list for 1st then you will not be put in 1st. You had a chance when you booked your flight. You also know in advance what the loads are and you can pretty much guess your chances. I am a F/A and in the last few years I can count on my hand how many times I have been upgraded and that also includes using a vacation pass which entitles you to be upgraded when space is there. I personally find that moving ever Tom, dick and Harry to first because they have a onepass account is a joke. It completely eliminates why first class is there. For the people who paid for it. Not silver members or gold members. My momma can qualify for those amount of miles shopping at Randal's. I guess I am a little jaded because everybody with a onepass or whatever mileage program they belong too, thinks they are entitled to sit there. You can always tell who and I'm talking only domestic flying here who actually paid for the seat. They are the ones who get on last because nobody with money would want 150 psgs walking by and hitting them with their luggage and starring at them while they stand there. The ones who do not pay just want to get on so they can feel holier than the rest of the psgs. Hey look at me I'm in first. For what a couple of hours. Nothing personal but in this day and age first is not what it used to be. Cheers

Evan767

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:01 am

My mother is a gate agent. She says it annoys them and to never ask about a seat up front if you are traveling free. Just watch the screens and take what you get. Just never, ever ask.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

pilottim747

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:14 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Thread starter):
What's the best way to get an upgrade as a nonrev airline employee standby (not traveling on your own airline)?

Fly Delta. They're good about upgrading non-revs from other airlines. Too bad other airlines dont always reciprocate to the DL employees.

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

kaniksu

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:16 am

Quoting IAHCREW (Reply 25):
You can always tell who and I'm talking only domestic flying here who actually paid for the seat. They are the ones who get on last because nobody with money would want 150 psgs walking by and hitting them with their luggage and starring at them while they stand there. The ones who do not pay just want to get on so they can feel holier than the rest of the psgs. Hey look at me I'm in first. For what a couple of hours. Nothing personal but in this day and age first is not what it used to be. Cheers

That's exactly why I do that when flying first... I am used to being the person staring at the first class passengers relaxing, sipping their drinks and looking snobby...  Smile So... that means whenever I am in their shoes I jump on the chance to be on the other side... I only flew first about 50% of the time this year... but never had before.

aircanada014

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:25 am

Two years ago I was flying on AC from YYZ to LHR and I was suppose to fly on economy on A330-300 but the a/c got damage so we've been transfered to A340-300 and got the same seat in economy however the passenger agent was looking for me and found me and put me in business class which was pretty awesome.

malaysia

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:31 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 26):
seat up front if you are traveling free. Just watch the screens and take what you get. Just never, ever ask.

yeah I loved those times when I had less seniority than another party and they put that party in coach cause only 1 seat was left in first, so it went to me.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

RAMPRAT980

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:38 am

A few years ago I flew AF from LHR to CDG. I was dressed sharp and the gate agent sat me in business. Thanks Christian Dior.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

AEROFAN

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:33 pm

LHUSA, welcome to my respect list.

AerorobNZ - I think I saw your name on medication at the pharmacy this afternoon. Agents like you make me ashame to be part of what can otherwise be a great brotherhood. Remember what goes around comes around

I can't believe that some of us are so ignorant as to treat their fellows with such scant disregard.

supa7E7

Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:13 pm

I personally find that moving ever Tom, dick and Harry to first because they have a onepass account is a joke. It completely eliminates why first class is there. For the people who paid for it. Not silver members or gold members. My momma can qualify for those amount of miles shopping at Randal's.

Tom, Dick and Harry are the most loyal customers on the plane. That's why they are sitting in front. Right?

Agree with you that boarding at the very end is the discreet and cool way to fly. Plus, it minimizes aircraft time.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

N200WN

Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:13 pm

I think you should only (very politely) ask if it's your own airline. If it's another carrier just be greatful that a pass agreement even exists.

Since I work for Southwest I would never ask to be put anywhere other than coach on another airline. I figure if I can't get it on my airline I certainly wouldn't ask for it on another. That being said, I have been upgraded on AA and Reno Air and my parents have been upgraded on CO (which they fly more than WN).

I'm curious how other airline employees have been treated on WN. While we don't have First Class, I must sometimes be a relief to know that you can take that quick weekend trip in the summer and just wear sneakers, nice shorts, and a polo and not have to worry about "business attire."

fxramper

Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:17 pm

I just posted in another blog...

I got a bump to J on CO 99/98, EWR-HKG-EWR. I wore nice clothes and was polite. I never asked for any favors. I called the night before to get load numbers, that was about it. I did wear my employee ID at the CO gate...dunno if it helped, but its our company policy when non-reving to wear the ID.

Regards!

BestWestern

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:25 pm

momma can qualify for those amount of miles shopping at Randal's

Dont mix up status miles and redemption miles.

Quoting FXramper (Reply 35):
I did wear my employee ID at the CO gate...dunno if it helped, but its our company policy when non-reving to wear the ID.

Most airlines have a company policy of not wearing your ID when non-reving - as it identifes you as a staff member - travelling for free - thus devaluing the business cabin. In Europe this is frowned upon as it can confuse you as an operating staff member (especially in the days of mixed crew uniforms, and the more casual uniform style).
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

aerorobnz

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:25 pm

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 32):
Remember what goes around comes around

absolutely. I don't however expect to be upgraded as a non rev nor do I ever ask. I also stated that I never upgraded anyone who asked me, not that I never upgraded people.

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 32):
I can't believe that some of us are so ignorant as to treat their fellows with such scant disregard.

It has nothing to do with ignorance - I know exactly what I am allowed to do by company regulation. It is not worth me losing my job for someone who is not willing to pay a little extra to be put on standby in C class instead of Y.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

AJMIA

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:58 pm

I hate it when people ask for an upgrade whether they are nonrevenue or revenue.

You would not go into Target and ask for merchandise that is for sale for free.

When passengers ask me if upgrades are available I tell them, "Sure, and would you be using money or miles to pay for it."

If the ZED or ID90 I buy is for Y that is what I deserve if I am cleared for the flight. Anything else is a BONUS.

I never ask. I dress nicely. I am friendly to the gate agent. And if I have a small thing to give like a key chain, pen, chocolate or food I give it. Whether I get the upgrade or not it is a nice thing to do to make someone's day.

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

goaliemn

Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:08 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 36):
Most airlines have a company policy of not wearing your ID when non-reving

I always thought that was standard across all airlines, although I know some do ask "crew qualified" to wear their crew badges during the boarding process, in case they need to ask for assistance later.

lamedianaranja

Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:17 pm

I've been eating a lot of chocolate lately  Wink as a Gate Agent for KL I try to upgrade staff first, if overbooked or even unofficially asking the purser if he has any room in C class.
Conditions: be dressed nicely (no jeans, sport shoes) and don't ask or take anything for granted.

And thanx for the chocolates, not for upgrading only but just to say thank you for taking you onboard  santahat  even in this busy X-mas season
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

b737100

Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:30 am

well, guess I'll add my 2 cents....I always dress nicely and never ask. Sometimes I'm invited to 1st on oa (not that airline from Greece  Smile, but its rare. When in the F cabin, I never ask the crew for anything, but wait until it is offered, but then again, I'm old school. The F cabin is not what it once was, but then is anything?

Regards to all this holiday season!

B737-100 XK
Boeing 737 sunjet service

jetdeltamsy

Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:22 pm

I flew DL up to YYZ a few weeks ago.

The agent seemed to get annoyed and told them they'd have to ask the flight atteandants,

I am a Delta f/a. We have nothing to do with upgrading pass riders to first class. That is all handled at the gate.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

fxramper

Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:47 pm

I hate the gate agents that think they are god and can pass judgement by putting anyone in cattle class...it's always the bitter lifers you get at gates that are getting stiffed by their failing company, so they stick it too you.

Merry Christmas.  Sad

RAMPRAT980

Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:10 pm

Quoting FXramper (Reply 43):
I hate the gate agents that think they are god and can pass judgement by putting anyone in cattle class...it's always the bitter lifers you get at gates that are getting stiffed by their failing company, so they stick it too you.

There is some truth to what FX is saying. But I find its best to just accept your ticket, smile and say thank you. Sometimes you will leave them scratching their head.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

DFW13L

Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:12 am

Quoting N200WN (Reply 34):
I'm curious how other airline employees have been treated on WN. While we don't have First Class, I must sometimes be a relief to know that you can take that quick weekend trip in the summer and just wear sneakers, nice shorts, and a polo and not have to worry about "business attire."

I never knew we could do that. I've worn jeans on Southwest, but never thought of wearing shorts. I've only non-revved on you three times. I work for AA. Thanks for the tip!

I just checked our policy with Southwest.."AA economy class dress code applies." And on AA we can wear jeans and sneakers with a collar shirt.

[Edited 2005-12-23 23:14:17]
See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!