S12PPL
Topic Author

Alaska To Charge To Speak To A Person

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:28 am

I did a search, and found nothing. I'm a little suprised no one has mentioned this yet.

Alaska just announced last week that they will begin charging customers who call they're toll free number to book a reservation. They want to encourage people to use alaskaair.com, instead of calling in to speak to a person. I disagree with this, as not everyone books they're travel on the internet. If you are someone like my grandmother who hates computers, and refuses to get one, you now will get charged money to call Alaska to book a ticket. Or, she'll have to have someone else in the family book it for her. This also penalizes people who have to call Alaska to book last second travel. In June when I had to fly to SJC on a few hours notice, I had to call Alaska, because I wasn't near a computer when the word came that I had to fly.

So what are your thoughts?? Do you agree with this? Or disagree?
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

slashd0t

RE: Alaska To Charge To Speak To A Person

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:34 am

I disagree completely with this. Just means i'll never fly Alaska again. I hope others stop as well! I realize that times are tough and airlines need to be creative, but, charging a customer to purchase a product is just bad business.
/.

Orion737

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:36 am

I disagree. My grandmother, like yours, and many others of the older generation dont have a computer or have a wish to aquire one. Why should these people be disadvantaged and be forced to pay more.

Often these older passengers are the ones with more money and time to spend making frequent trips so should not be ailienated by airlines. Sadly, I can only see more airlines moving this way as the obsession with internet bookings continues, leaving many technophobes and older people 'out in the cold'

Airlinerfreak

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:38 am

Ok, yet in other threads we are bashing AA for what now? But I disagree with this heavily. This will make a lot of people job less due to AS 's doings. I think it should be free to talk to talk to them. Websites do not always come up with what you want to. On UA I have found that I have to call to get certain flights. I hate what AS is doing.

trekster

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:39 am

And????

A lot of airlines do this now. Even the majors like BA. We started ealier this year, and still alot of bookings are made off line, eg over the phone or in a Travel shop.

It helps increase revenue for the airlines, and more and more people have access to the net now a days EVEN the elderly know at least a few people who have access. I get loads of calls from nice old ladys who have had there bookings made over the net wanting to do seating, or meals etc.

Its goin to happen more and more
Where does the time go???

slashd0t

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:41 am

What I think is a good idea is offer a savings while booking online.. I know WestJet hides the "booking" cost by offering a $5 savings when booking on westjet.com.. At least this way it seems like they are rewarding customers instead of charging them  Smile
/.

ctbarnes

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:51 am

AS used to offer a $10 discount for booking online. Why not go back to that? Pity to see AS going down the road of "let's raise revenue by nickel and diming our customers to death" route.

Bad move. Very bad move.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

FATFlyer

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:10 am

Whatever happened to calling a travel agency.  Confused I still use mine.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

StuckInCA

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:14 am

I'm not sure how AS is stating this, but it should be sold as the fact that you SAVE money by booking online, not that you PAY MORE by calling. I see how this could upset people, but why should I subsidize people who can't book online? It's not a big amount of money. I don't see the big deal.

[Edited 2005-12-19 20:41:06]

ctbarnes

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:21 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 7):
Whatever happened to calling a travel agency. I still use mine.

The travel agents charge $20 to book a flight.

Charles, SJ

luv2fly

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:25 am

Sign of the times, though I do not agree with it. If I was a reservation agent with AS I would be worried as the writing is on the wall.
You can cut the irony with a knife

FATFlyer

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:26 am

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 9):

Depends on the agency and other factors. You have to shop around, find one, then stay with them as a regular client.

S12PPL
Topic Author

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:33 am

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 8):
I'm not sure how AS is stating this, but it should be sold as the fact that you SAVE money by booking online

That is exactly what they are not doing. Instead of putting a positive spin on it, they are just coming out and saying "You will be charged for speaking to CSR over the phone, now." I think the charge is $25!!! I may not be remembering this. It was on KGW in Portland last week some time.

Sad to see AS do this. It really will not be recieved well by the traveling public.

airxliban

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:34 am

don't know what the big deal is here - don't AA and other airlines charge $5 when you book over the telephone? Is Alaska charging you regardless of whether or not you book travel? Then that is pretty silly, I think.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

gift4tbone

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:37 am

AA already does this, $8, I believe. So I guess just another carrier going the route. Not good at all.

-Tony@PVD
Top 3 airports: PVD 23.9%(138 flights), PHL 14.7%(85 flights), PHX 10.2%(59 flights)

FATFlyer

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:39 am

DesertFlyer

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:40 am

It seems like a non-issue to me. We're not talking about large amounts of money here.

S12PPL
Topic Author

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:41 am

Oh, well still a lot of money. And it wasn't well recieved by people interviewed at the airport who had just checked in for the AS or QX flight.

StuckInCA

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:43 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 12):
That is exactly what they are not doing. Instead of putting a positive spin on it, they are just coming out and saying "You will be charged for speaking to CSR over the phone, now." I think the charge is $25

They need some new marketing people.

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 15):
Its $10

Even $10 is too much. $5 would be the upper limit in my opinion.

BigGSFO

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:44 am

Will the Service Fee be applied to Mileage Plan partner award tickets that can't be booked online at alaskaaair.com or horizonair.com?
Yes, the Service Fee will be applied to all tickets redeemed through Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air Reservations. However, we are continually working to make all tickets available for purchase and redemption at alaskaair.com or horizonair.com.

So even a ticket you cannot book on-line will be assessed a fee.

S12PPL
Topic Author

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:51 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 19):
So even a ticket you cannot book on-line will be assessed a fee.

No, I think you didn't interperate that correctly. You can redeem award tickets on alaskaair.com, for travel on Alaska, and about a handful of they're mileage plan partners. If you redeem it online, I doubt there will be a service charge.

EA CO AS

Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:40 am

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 6):
AS used to offer a $10 discount for booking online. Why not go back to that?

The idea of giving a discount for booking online was that you were essentially "saving" AS money by booking online, since it costs far less to the company to sell a ticket online than through a reservations agent - agents that are increasingly being relied upon for after-the-sale service such as changes, upgrades, special service requests, etc.

In the past if you booked directly with an agent, you paid the regular fare. If you booked online, you got the regular fare plus a $10.00 discount. AS was, in essence, paying the customer for doing their own work.

Realizing that other carriers charge a surcharge for their professional services - much like banks do to speak with a teller vs. doing your banking at the ATM or online - AS is simply implementing a surcharge to help pay for the added cost of having a professional U.S.- based reservations staff available.

Just my $0.02 worth here...

[Edited 2005-12-19 21:41:15]
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

HPRamper

Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:46 am

They are welcome to do it. Here in Portland that means more people traveling on America West, Southwest and Frontier. Something like this won't gain them any new customers and will probably lose them a few, even over a measly 10 bucks.

FATFlyer

Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:47 am

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 18):
Even $10 is too much. $5 would be the upper limit in my opinion.

AS is late to this fee and basically matching what others charge.

Besides AA mentioned above, UAL's web site says:the total price will include a $10 call center fee per ticket. This fee does not apply when reservations are purchased on united.com.

FATFlyer

Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:55 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 22):
that means more people traveling on America West

Effective October 6, 2004, America West implemented a $5 fee for tickets purchased through the airline's reservation centers and a $10 fee for tickets issued at airport and city ticket offices. The fees do not apply to any tickets purchased or redeemed through www.americawest.com.
http://www.americawest.com/awa/conte...ticketingpolicies/servicefees.aspx

It's basically becoming an industry wide policy.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:59 am

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 9):

Charles, SJ

..and with that $20, which is our only income from the airlines who no longer pay us a bean, we employee people, pay taxes, pay rent, pay utilities, donate to local charities including, this year, sponsoring a kids soccer team, church missionaries in Zimbabwe, various animal charities, ex-druggy rehab home, veterans association... and on top of that we answer the phone when it rings, don't make you press 1,2 or 3, take care of your ALL your requirements including your meals, frequent flier info, seating etc etc ...
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

SUPRAZACHAIR

Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:18 am

Man, there are a lot of cry babies around here. $10. Whoopty-doo. Book online instead. Its not like AS is the only carrier to implement this. As stated earlier, AS has put this off as long as they could. As for res agents being out of a job, airlines charging booking fees have not seen a significant drop in call volume since implementation. Buck up everyone, life will go on.

Bridogger6

Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:35 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 22):
They are welcome to do it. Here in Portland that means more people traveling on America West, Southwest and Frontier. Something like this won't gain them any new customers and will probably lose them a few, even over a measly 10 bucks.

Actually HP charges and has charged a five dollar ticketing fee for telephone purchases... and it's a ten dollar fee if passengers come to buy their ticket at the airport. This has been in place for quite some time, most people don't really care because a lot of times internet fares can be found cheaper than what we can quote at the airport or over the phone.

FATFlyer

Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:53 am

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 25):
..and with that $20, which is our only income from the airlines who no longer pay us a bean, we employee people, pay taxes, pay rent, pay utilities, donate to local charities including, this year, sponsoring a kids soccer team, church missionaries in Zimbabwe, various animal charities, ex-druggy rehab home, veterans association... and on top of that we answer the phone when it rings, don't make you press 1,2 or 3, take care of your ALL your requirements including your meals, frequent flier info, seating etc etc ...

And share your expertise, etc.

My agent charges me less than $20, sometimes just the CRS or airline's fees. But then I recognize she has a business, don't waste her time on small bookings that wouldn't be worth her time even if it was commisionable, make sure I give her everything she needs to know about the trip up front, give her referals, etc.

It's a professional service like my CPA and Attorney and I don't give them a reason to bill me for more time than necessary so why not treat my TA the same way.

Kahala777

Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:57 am

This practice has been done for years in Europe, this should come as no suprise to anyone. This is a charge that I have been shocked that has not been implimented in North America. We are not in the year 1980 anymore. We are in 2005, most people have computers, or know of someone with a computer. The airlines are only a click away!  Smile

KAHALA777

nonrevman

Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:26 am

I think the process you have to go through just to get to a human being on the phone is much worse than the cost itself.

rlwynn

Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:46 am

How many airlines in Europe do not charge for phone booking. Or even just to call and ask a question.
I can drive faster than you

ctbarnes

Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:52 am

Thanks. You've just reminded me why I haven't seen the inside of a travel agency in 10 years.

Quoting SupraZachAir (Reply 26):
Man, there are a lot of cry babies around here. $10. Whoopty-doo. Book online instead. Its not like AS is the only carrier to implement this. As stated earlier, AS has put this off as long as they could. As for res agents being out of a job, airlines charging booking fees have not seen a significant drop in call volume since implementation. Buck up everyone, life will go on.

...only if you pay a $10 service fee.

Charles, SJ

ANCFlyer

Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:59 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 21):
Realizing that other carriers charge a surcharge for their professional services - much like banks do to speak with a teller vs. doing your banking at the ATM or online - AS is simply implementing a surcharge to help pay for the added cost of having a professional U.S.- based reservations staff available.

redflag 

I don't get charged to go to Alaska USA Fed Credit Union, I don't get charged at an AKFedUSA ATM.
It's a ridiculous charge . . . especially for those without computer access, such as my Mother or my Father.
Amazing how we have to pay Alaska Airlines reservations wienies to do their job.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Shamrock_747

Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:04 am

BA charge £15 to make a booking via offline sales channels. It's a very reasonable compromise - face to face/over the phone personal service is still available to those who wish to pay slightly more to receive it.

ctbarnes

Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:11 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 33):
I don't get charged to go to Alaska USA Fed Credit Union, I don't get charged at an AKFedUSA ATM.
It's a ridiculous charge . . . especially for those without computer access, such as my Mother or my Father.
Amazing how we have to pay Alaska Airlines reservations wienies to do their job.

I don't pay a service charge to speak to a human being at my bank either, or my ATM. Anyone know if WN or B6 charge one? At United your $10 goes to staff a call center in India where the agents' command of English is unintelligable.

Charles, SJ

FATFlyer

Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:41 am

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 35):
I don't pay a service charge to speak to a human being at my bank either, or my ATM.

That depends on the company and the type of account. For example, in California B of A offers the "Versatel" checking account. The account is free if you have a monthly direct deposit to it, $5.50 month if you have no direct deposit. You have to do all of your transactions at an ATM. BUT if you want to deposit money with a human teller, they charge you $2.00.

So why bank with them? Location, location, location. You can make a deposit or withdrawal for no fee all over the state at an ATM.

searpqx

Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:44 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 33):
Alaska Airlines reservations wienies to do their job.

That's uncalled for. The folks that work in res have no input into this policy, and instead are the ones on the front lines that have to put up with the flak from folks like you. For the most part they're good employees, trying to do a good job and they sure as hell don't deserve to be called wienies just because you don't like the policy.

I don't agree witht he policy either, and I think AS management missed the boat on this one. But again, it's not the fault of the res agents.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

HPRamper

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:19 am

Quoting Bridogger6 (Reply 27):
Actually HP charges and has charged a five dollar ticketing fee for telephone purchases... and it's a ten dollar fee if passengers come to buy their ticket at the airport. This has been in place for quite some time, most people don't really care because a lot of times internet fares can be found cheaper than what we can quote at the airport or over the phone.

BUT since that's been going on a long time, it's out of most people's consciousness. THIS is a "new" development and so people will react as such.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:25 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 21):
In the past if you booked directly with an agent, you paid the regular fare. If you booked online, you got the regular fare plus a $10.00 discount. AS was, in essence, paying the customer for doing their own work.

Exactly. When AS offered a $10 discount to purchase at their website, they were likely charging a similar fare to WN, UA, etc, but losing the difference between the discount and the savings of not calling. The could have raised their fares by $10 across the board, and kept the discount, but all those people that get continually bashed on here for looking for the lowest fare would never fly AS. The only other option, short of not charging a fee, was to eliminate the online discount, charging a fee for phone orders only.

At work I often have to send correspondence to individual customers. I can mail or email an order confirmation to the individual, and perhaps 98% of the time, regardless of age or background, the customer has internet access. People are more and more attached to the internet, and it's hard to blame a company for preferring certain channels for buying their products. Besides, if people rebel, then they'll drop the fee. But what would we rather have, a profitable airline or an unprofitable one?

-Dave
-Dave

nonrevman

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:28 am

I think that the role of the reservations agent has significantly changed over the last several years. When I began in 1998, my main job was to research flights and quote fares to people as they called in. Now, the agents are more into technical stuff such as changing tickets, assigning seats, rebooking, and handling questions related to travel. Far fewer people shop by calling the airline these days. The computer can show you the lowest fares and even compare them with other airlines. You can have all of your best options in front of you on one screen. I can only wonder how much effort that would take to individually call each airline.

Superfly

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:36 am

It's just the principal of charging for customer service I find disturbing.
I know years ago I used to bank with Bank of America until they started charging to walk in to the bank to talk to a teller.
I left them in 1995 and never looked back.

It just really sucks for those in small towns in Alaska where Alaska Airlines is the only airline that serves those communities.

It just makes you wonder, what will they think of next? *  Wink

*10 points for anyone who can figure what commercial that is from?
Bring back the Concorde

PlanesNTrains

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:51 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 41):
It just really sucks for those in small towns in Alaska where Alaska Airlines is the only airline that serves those communities.

Not to downplay the value of $10.....but it's only $10. I'm guessing that's a fairly small amount compared to the (non-competitive) fare that they're already paying.

Nice? No. Big deal? No.

-Dave
-Dave

Superfly

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:54 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 42):
Nice? No. Big deal? No.

As i had said, it's the "principal".
Bring back the Concorde

StuckInCA

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:55 am

Another factor that's fairly obvious but has not been discussed is the fare competition and how that plays in. If they were to "include" the cost of this service in the ticket price, their analysis must show that they need to raise fares (maybe not by $10). If they do that and their competition does not, then they are at a disadvantage. Especially if some of their competition already IS charging for the service. It could very well be that AS would rather not charge for phone service, but must take these actions to stay in the black.

EA CO AS

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:02 am

It just makes you wonder, what will they think of next? *

It's not "What will they think of next?" but rather just a plain "What's next?" (as the guy's peering at the door of a pay lavatory)
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Superfly

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:03 am

It's obvious they want to 'phase out' customer service reps all together.
Bring back the Concorde

FATFlyer

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:03 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 38):
THIS is a "new" development and so people will react as such.

Until the first time they call someone else and find out they'll be charged there too. I can see them launching on the employees at non-AS res centers about paying fees when they call elsewhere.

You mean those old bendable things that Mattel used to sell.

"You can tell it's Mattel, it's swell"

Coronado990

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:05 am

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 32):

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 32):
Thanks. You've just reminded me why I haven't seen the inside of a travel agency in 10 years.

No comprende on this one dude??? Do you not like companies that make contributions  Confused
Uncle SAN at your service!

Superfly

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:13 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 47):
You mean those old bendable things that Mattel used to sell.

"You can tell it's Mattel, it's swell"

No, sorry that's not it.  no 

Now here is a question, what if someone biught there ticket online yet needs to call and ask a question. What will Alaska Airlines do then?
Bring back the Concorde

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos