MarkATL
Topic Author

EU-USA Open Skies Deal LHR Question

Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:15 am

If this deal does go through, and US carriers are granted access to LHR. Will BMI and other EU carriers be allowed to use their LHR slots to fly to the US?
"...left my home in Georgia, 'n headed for the "Frisco" Bay...

DCAYOW

RE: EU-USA Open Skies Deal LHR Question

Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:57 pm

Quoting MarkATL (Thread starter):
If this deal does go through, and US carriers are granted access to LHR. Will BMI and other EU carriers be allowed to use their LHR slots to fly to the US?

Yes. If this deal goes through, US carriers such as Delta, NWA and Continental can acquire LHR slots through the "gray market". BMI and other EU carriers would have equivalent LHR rights, that is BMI could take a slot currently allocated to an intra-Europe flight and apply it to trans-Atlantic service.
Retorne ao céu...

scotron11

RE: EU-USA Open Skies Deal LHR Question

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:04 pm

The deal, if approved, would treat the EU as one entity, allowing any EU carrier to fly from anywhere in the EU to anywhere in the US.

If, for example, LH wanted to operate LHR-LAX, they would be allowed to.

But from what I've read, it seems some folk in the US Congress are not too "happy" that the US DOT is examining the rules on foreign ownership/investment in US carriers. So I think they have a way to go before everyone, on both sides, sign off on this agreement.

The EU would like the US to allow 49%, same as in the EU, ownership provision. Although here in the UK you can have the whole "kit and kaboodle" if you want to, as we have no such restriction.

cheers