Topic Author

How Does A Plane Powerback?

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:08 pm

hello,

Just wondering how 727/md-80/dc-9 type aircraft "powerback"

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter Kesternich

I never thought bucket reverse redirected enough power to push an aircraft backwards.
Is there something else that helps?

heres a video
Deliver Everyones Luggage To Atlanta

EMBQA

RE: How Does A Plane Powerback?

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:12 pm

Quoting IAH744 (Thread starter):
I never thought bucket reverse redirected enough power to push an aircraft backwards.
Is there something else that helps?

Oh, heck yea it will. You apply slight fwd thrust, then pull reverse thrust. The reverse thrust will back the aircraft out. You need to be careful with the amount of thrust applied and the breaking as you can put the plane on its tail if your not careful.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

skysurfer

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:20 pm

I did this last year on an NWA DC-9 at MSP......slight roll forward, then the buckets are deployed and back we go. Light braking to stop (as EMBQA rightly said, too hard and you'll end up on the tail) and after the buckets are stowed away you go. Waste of fuel? Maybe. But if there's no tug available then it's more than worth it using fuel for a 10-20 second powerback. I'm glad i experienced one.

Cheers
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

phxplanes

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:48 pm

Thats something you don't see everyday, kinda cool. What is the purpose? Wouldn't it not be as safe. It seems like it might be more convenient though. Also how do they decide when to do it.

Thanks

EMBQA

Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:00 pm

Quoting Phxplanes (Reply 3):
Thats something you don't see everyday

..?? You see that all the time at airports that have DC-9's, MD-80's and 727's.... it's a very common practice when push back tugs are not available.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

goboeing

Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:18 pm

Northwest only permits powerbacks at the three hubs that DC-9s visit - MSP, DTW, and MEM. Furthermore, there are gates at each of those airports that powerbacks are not allowed to be performed from (too small an alley, close side-by-side arrangements, etc.).

The pilots know beforehand from the ground crew if they'll be doing a powerback and they inform ramp control of this upon initial contact after receiving the clearance. When the clearance for the powerback is given the ramper in front of the cockpit gives the ready-to-go signal and puts his goggles on.

Both pilots take their feet off of the rudder pedals and put them on the floor. The captain pushes the power just enough to breakaway thrust and rolls the jet forward a few feet to get the tires off of the soft spots so that minimal reverse thrust is needed. After moving forward these couple of feet, he or she goes back to idle and thing brings both engines into reverse thrust and keeps an eye on the ramper ahead of the cockpit who is now giving the both-hands-twirling "continue powering back" signal. I was pretty surprised at how fast it moves backwards after watching it the first few times from the jumpseat. It continues and the two wingwalkers will give a signal to the cockpit ramper that it's time to stop. He will signal that to the cockpit and the captain takes off the reverse thrust and lets idle thrust bring the jet to a stop. A little forward thrust and by this time the FO is already getting the taxi clearance.

Nick

OttoPylit

Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:28 pm

Who says powerbacks have to be limited to DC-9 series aircraft? 737-200's are fully capable of powerbacks, as long as you are willing to suffer the consequences of everything on the ramp not secured down by steel pilings to be sucked into the engines, such as halon fire extinguishers, chocks, ramp agents, orange cones, and wands.  rotfl 

The pilot of Palm 90 attempted to help the ground crew during pushback by using the reverse thrusters to get the plane moving. All he managed to end up doing was throw more ice and slush up onto the tops of the wings, which were to play a part in its fall from the sky over Washington D.C. shortly afterward on January 13, 1982.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

dalb777

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:32 pm

So I take it that a plane has to have buckets in order to powerback. Can a plane without buckets powerback?
Geaux Tigers! Geaux Hornets! Geaux Saints! WHO DAT!!!

IAH744
Topic Author

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:34 pm

Quoting Dalb777 (Reply 7):
So I take it that a plane has to have buckets in order to powerback. Can a plane without buckets powerback?

dont think the older 27s have them
Deliver Everyones Luggage To Atlanta

kaitak744

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:52 pm

The reason they don't do this on larger aircraft is because the thurst can blow the terminal windows.

crogalski

Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:08 pm

I saw a airtran 717 do it the other day.
A319 A320 A321 A330 B717 B727 B737 B747 B757 B767 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 DC9 E145 E190 MD88 Q400 | AA AB B6 CO DL EI FL NK

PMN

Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:51 pm

Quoting Dalb777 (Reply 7):
Can a plane without buckets powerback?

I'm sure I've read in similar threads here in the past that pretty much any aircraft equipped with thrust reversers can power back, it just isn't practiced on aircraft with under wing mounted engines for various reasons. I'm sure someone here can offer a more in depth explanation.

Paul
Edith in his bed, a plane in the rain is humming, the wires in the walls are humming some song - some mysterious song