AlitaliaMD11
Topic Author

Stewart International Airport To Change Name?

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:18 pm

I was listening to the local radio station this morning on my way to school and I heard that Stewart International Airport (SWF) located in Newburgh, New York will change its name to New York International Airport.

Has anybody else heard anything about this?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chris Wallace

No Vueling No Party

FA4B6

RE: Stewart International Airport To Change Name?

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:29 pm

Wasnt JFK called New York International for a short while?

I think that Stewart should change its name to Hudson Valley International Airport. Is HUD/KHUD taken??

I hate that people refer to it as Stewart, NY. That's what Allegiant has on their website and it's incorrect. Though technically it's in New Windsor, NY, it primarily serves Newburgh and the Hudson Valley.

[Edited 2005-12-20 04:32:21]
"Leap! And the net will appear."

MaverickM11

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:32 pm

In an effort to reposition itself as the low cost alternative to Albany and garner new service *cough* any service, Stewart International will become "The Dollar Store".
E pur si muove -Galileo

STT757

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:40 pm

How about Orange County Choppers International Airport, the code could be OCC.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

aircraftpm

Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:11 pm

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 1):
I think that Stewart should change its name to Hudson Valley International Airport. Is HUD/KHUD taken??

According to www.airlinecodes.co.uk, HUD/KHUD is used for a town called Humboldt in the US. No state given.

CFIjames

Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Humboldt, Iowa.
Welcome. Enjoy your stay.
The identifier looks like its been changed, or will be changed to HUD soon. (probably when they get an ASOS/AWOS and need a three letter ident)
http://www.airnav.com/airport/0K7
There are 3 simple rules for making a perfect landing every time. Its a shame that no one knows what they are.

N1120A

Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:09 pm

Quoting AlitaliaMD11 (Thread starter):
I was listening to the local radio station this morning on my way to school and I heard that Stewart International Airport (SWF) located in Newburgh, New York will change its name to New York International Airport.

Not likely as that was the original name for JFK. As it is, there are 3 airports with a much stronger claim to that title.

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 1):
Wasnt JFK called New York International for a short while?

Yes, it was

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 1):
Is HUD/KHUD taken??

HUD is the IATA code for Humboldt, Iowa. The FAA code is 0K7. It has no ICAO code yet
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

deltagator

Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:35 pm

For the Atlanta folks on A.net perhaps they should rename it Metropolitan Parkway Airport.

FYI...Atlanta had a great idea to rename Stewart Avenue to Metropolitan Parkway since the original had become synonymous with strippers, hookers, crack houses, and other things of ill repute. The locals laughed, still call it Stewart Ave. and Metropolitan Pkwy is still home to strippers, hookers, crack houses, and many other vices. God bless the morons running the ity of Atlanta. No wonder I live in the suburbs.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

FFlyer

Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:51 pm

I think it is supposed to be "New York Hudson Valley International Airport". Also, the new contested road plan has been finally approved, so there might be better times for the airport. "Hudson Valley" in the name is important, it defines the effective service area better than Newburgh or Orange County. The people and the money are across the river.

BigOrange

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:49 am

The name Stewart originates from the old AFB, which was then downgraded to an ANG/USM unit.

I don't see how having New York in the name is going to make much difference. You are going to get some dimwit travel agent somewhere book someone to SWF as an alternative to one of the 3 Metropolitan area airports.

Hudson Valley International Airport sounds better.

access-air

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:55 am

JFK used to be called Idlewild International Airport...

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

FA4B6

Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:42 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 10):
JFK used to be called Idlewild International Airport...

In between it being called Idlewild and JFK, it was called New York International.

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 9):
I don't see how having New York in the name is going to make much difference. You are going to get some dimwit travel agent somewhere book someone to SWF as an alternative to one of the 3 Metropolitan area airports.

Hudson Valley International Airport sounds better.

I totally agree. I hope they go with HVIA. I went to their website and sent them an e-mail telling them what I think.
"Leap! And the net will appear."