rb211-524h

Why Doesn't The 'SP' Moniker Get Used Anymore

Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:44 pm

Hi all, is there a reason why the 747 was the only model in Boeings line-up (past and present) to receive the 'SP' tag for its extra long-range capabilities.
I can understand 'ER' being used for models that have slightly better capabilities but as the 777-200LR was built specifically to fly further than any other aircraft in the world why couldn't they just call it the 777SP. I just think sticking SP on the end of the model sounds so much cooler than LR, ER, HGW etc etc even Airbus could do it too e.g A380SP hehehe but they like X and E better.

kiwiandrew

RE: Why Doesn't The 'SP' Moniker Get Used Anymore

Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:51 pm

The SP was "special performance" - it was not just range , but field performance also - for example - QF actually bought their two originally not for range but for their ability to use the infamous WLG runway ( an airport that has jokingly been referred to as the world's only land based aircraft carrier ) it was only later when they strayed from their 'all 747' fleet plan and got the 767s that they freed up the SPs for long range ops . Likewise , I think part of the appeal of the SP to SA was it's range ( during the apartheid era SA had to fly around most of Africa to get to Europe ) but also a large part was it's performance at JNBs 'hot and high' airport .

don81603

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:06 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 1):
infamous WLG runway ( an airport that has jokingly been referred to as the world's only land based aircraft carrier )

For reference, what are the runway dimensions at WLG, compared to QF's Longreach, QLD museum? I seem to recall hearing QF sent one of their first 747-100 there as a museum attraction, and due to runway limitations they could only use 2 engines when landing. As I'm not a pilot, this make no sense to me at all.

As for "Land Based Aircraft Carriers", I've seen more than a few of those...Kakabeka Falls (Ontario) Brandon (Manitoba) Dryden (Ontario), and on ad nauseum.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

ClassicLover

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:15 am

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 2):
QF sent one of their first 747-100 there as a museum attraction

It was a 747-238B. QF never operated the -100 - the only variant they didn't operate, excluding F versions.They deliberately waited until the 200B was available for delivery.

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

kiwiandrew

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:13 am

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 2):
and due to runway limitations they could only use 2 engines when landing. As I'm not a pilot, this make no sense to me at all.

I'm not a pilot either , but if they were only able to use two engines my guess would be that due to the narrowness of the runway and the unprepared terrain surrounding it they were unable to use the outboard engines for fear of damaging the engines through FOD - ie ingesting large chunks of dirt/rocks/dust etc .

LPLAspotter

Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:19 am

If you are talking about all kinds of aircrarft then Cessna has applied it to their 172. Their newest model is the 172SP!

LPLAspotter
Nuke the Gay Wales for Christ

Crosswind

Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:35 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 1):
An airport that has jokingly been referred to as the world's only land based aircraft carrier

Sorry to divert the topic completely, but for me Funchal's got to get that title as the world's only land-based aircraft carrier - it's got the deck aspect and everything - although the new vastly extended runway is far less exciting than the old one!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Miguel Nobrega - Madeira Spotters
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tony Silva - Madeira Spotters

View Large View Medium

Photo © Filipe Clairouin
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

The carrier-deck aspect also allows you to get spectacular lineup shots like these - not many airports in the world where you can get this sort of backdrop!

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jorge Abreu - Madeira Spotters

Regards
CROSSWIND

AJRfromSYR

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:05 am

Any weight restrictions landing on 23?