Buyantukhaa

Nauru Island Wants Its Only Plane Back

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:20 pm

The island state of Nauru, with a very bad economy these days, wants to have the 737 back that is flown by Nauru Air. The plane was chained last Sunday by the American ExIm Bank because of unpaid bills. The island used to be very rich because of phophate export, but is now on the verge of bankruptcy.

The Nauruan transport minister Kieran Keke said that lives are now endangered as the 737 is used to fly patients to Australia in case of medical emergencies.

http://www.pacificislands.cc/pina/pinadefault2.php?urlpinaid=19035

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...e/0,5744,17593161%255E2702,00.html

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/N...20051220091958/Article/indexb_html

Dutch link only: http://www.nu.nl/news/644622/20/Eila...aan_wil_enige_vliegtuig_terug.html
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

jwenting

RE: Nauru Island Wants Its Only Plane Back

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:34 pm

Well, pay the bills and you get the aircraft back...

If you value the lifes of your subjects more than your Swiss bank account, the answer is simple.
If not, why should anyone else pay the bill for you?
I wish I were flying

cricket

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:39 pm

Amazing intrigue in the story...
A300B2/B4/6R, A313, A319/320/321, A333, A343, A388, 737-2/3/4/7/8/9, 747-3/4, 772/2E/2L/3, E170/190, F70, CR2/7, 146-3,

cschleic

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:40 pm

There was an interesting and somewhat humorous article about Nauru Air a while back in Airways or Airliners magazine...don't recall which, written by a former pilot.

LPLAspotter

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:38 pm

That aircraft (Boeing 737-400 reg: VH-RON) has quite a history. During the times I lived in PNI I used to take it to GUM and MNL quite frequently. However, I never knew if I was going until the last minute. The plane was frequently impounded in Australia or under heavy MX due to stupid things like ground handlers in Nauru driving a forkift into it. If the flight was cancelled, you were screwed - no refund, nothing.

On the flip side, I once purchased a ticket on them for $1050 (PNI-MNL-GUM) but my amex bill only showed $10.50! So, somebody in ON's accounting f*(#ed up and I got a super cheap ticket to Manila. Man, somebody should write a book about that airline! It would be a good read - gauranteed.

This recent episode does not surprise me one bit.

LPLAspotter
Nuke the Gay Wales for Christ

Kahala777

Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:07 pm

Ah, the same Air Nauru that wanted to fly to London.....  sarcastic 

KAHALA777

Buyantukhaa

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:02 am

Here is the culprit:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John Krepp
View Large View Medium

Photo © Quinn Savit

ClassicLover

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:25 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 1):
If you value the lifes of your subjects more than your Swiss bank account, the answer is simple.

Just FYI, Nauru is one of the poorest islands in the Pacific Ocean. Nothing to do with Swiss bank accounts or anything like that. A few years back, Australia increased aid to the country in return for Nauru holding boat people in detention on the island. They are that desperate for money.

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

LPLAspotter

Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:08 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 7):
Just FYI, Nauru is one of the poorest islands in the Pacific Ocean

Just FYI, Nauru used to be the one of the richest countries in the world per capita but due to poor planning and excessive spending they are now one of the poorest. They did this to themselves - believe me, I've lived in the region for awhile and nobody feels sorry for these people.

LPLAspotter

IslandHopperCO

Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:33 am

The country insisted on managing its wealth by itself and made silly investments, like an airline with three 737-400s to serve an island that nobody wants to fly to. Here's a pic of another 734 they had:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dave Austin

I lived in PNI in 2000 and flew them a few times as well (when did you live there LPLAspotter?), they had good service and much cheaper than CO. I was lucky though...they ceased ops only three days after I returned home to PNI.

JRadier

Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:42 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 1):

If you value the lives of your subjects more than your Swiss bank account, the answer is simple.

could you please give us the proof of these bank accounts? This isn't the first unfunded accusation you make, and I'm sure it won't be the last (flame intended)
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

DIA

Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:44 am

Quoting LPLAspotter (Reply 4):
Man, somebody should write a book about that airline! It would be a good read - gauranteed.

There was an article (I think by one of the pilots) about flying the old 732 years ago. It was in either Airways or Airliners Magazine. It is probably my favorite story/article to date in those mags. Quite an adventure...hurricane and all that good stuff...

Sorry, I do not have a date...but you may be able to look it up at one or the other's websites.
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

Vanguard

Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:00 am

Oh no! I'm due to fly on this plane (I think - must go and check) from Brisbane to Honiara (Solomon Islands) in March! It's a code-share with Sol Air (IE).....

[Edited 2005-12-20 21:22:09]

Coronado990

Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:14 am

Quoting LPLAspotter (Reply 4):
On the flip side, I once purchased a ticket on them for $1050 (PNI-MNL-GUM) but my amex bill only showed $10.50!

Could explain why they are a little short of money to pay their bills!
Uncle SAN at your service!

scutfarcus

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:40 am

This is slightly tangential, but since people are asking about how Nauru got into the state it's in, read this excellent little article (with many links):

http://worldchanging.com/archives/000231.html

It's basically a classic fiscal/environmental disaster story, with many lessons to be learned!

planemanofnz

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:46 am

So is there no Air Nauru anymore? If people are so worried of having no air transport to the island then just get someone like QF, NZ or FJ to fly there once a week like NZ did to Niue when Polynesian Airlines ceased operations.

ContnlEliteCMH

Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:24 am

Quoting Scutfarcus (Reply 14):
It's basically a classic fiscal/environmental disaster story, with many lessons to be learned!

It's ONLY a classic case of corruption and unprincipled people allowing the corruption to continue unabated. The environmental pillaging and fiscal disaster are a result of the real problem, not the cause.

People of good conscience may agree to disagree about the economic system that best suits mankind. I personally will side with capitalism, thank you. However, one thing we can all agree on: you can't play at free markets. You must truly have them, or not, or you will eventually crumble. There are a looooot of states out there like that, right now. They go through bust-boom cycles just like a real free market, but the amplitude and length of the cycles is heavily skewed by the corruption. Once a collapse strips the emperor of his clothes, it is very, very difficult for that same emperor to turn his little scheme into something, ahem, less corrupt. See Nauru for an example.

One great coworker, and now a good friend, is Indian. He has described how India's free markets aren't really that because of such intrusive governmental involvement, as well as rampant corruption. He also goes on to say that in some cases, the people are refusing to play along with the corruption. A small case-in-point: you can be pulled over by a policeman for any reason he sees fit. He's really just a local Jesse Jackson -- a professional shakedown artist. He suggests that if you make him a small payment, he won't issue a citation. My friend says that he personally, as well as other friends of his, eventually decided the only way to stop this nonsense was to revert to the rule of law. They would *insist* that the cop issue the citation. He said that the cop would yell, berate you, etc. but in most cases, simply let you go.

They'll need more people just like that. For Nauru, the end game has been played. I was fascinated to read that Australia is thinking about relocating them -- to another frickin' island! No, no, no, no. You don't put children caught with their hand in the cookie jar back in the kitchen unsupervised! If these people are in such dire straits as to have their entire nation relocated at the expense of somebody else's taxpayers, bring them to the mainland and demand they integrate into that society. Australia may have high taxes and screwball regulations, but it's still a free market with duly elected officials. Whatever you do, DO NOT let these people have another crack at this, unless they want to foot the relocation bill themselves.
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

flyorski

Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:22 am

Quoting Cschleic (Reply 3):
There was an interesting and somewhat humorous article about Nauru Air a while back in Airways or Airliners magazine...don't recall which, written by a former pilot

It was in AirlinerWorld. I'm not sure how long ago.

It's sad when any aircraft is impounded. Best of luck to Nauru in getting back any aircraft used to transport patients.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

ikramerica

Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:31 am

Quoting Flyorski (Reply 17):
Best of luck to Nauru in getting back any aircraft used to transport patients.

Huh, sounds like their red herring is attracting some bait.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

777ER
Crew

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:30 pm

Well they don't need a B734 for their medical flight or any flights, all they need is a small F70-F100 etc, but the King of the Island wants the B734 for status.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

Mr AirNZ

Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:04 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 15):
So is there no Air Nauru anymore? If people are so worried of having no air transport to the island then just get someone like QF, NZ or FJ to fly there once a week like NZ did to Niue when Polynesian Airlines ceased operations.

They did this because there was money to be made. The airlines are not a charity.

kiwiandrew

Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:13 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 19):
Well they don't need a B734 for their medical flight or any flights, all they need is a small F70-F100 etc, but the King of the Island wants the B734 for status.

Nauru doesn't have a king ( although I think some of the presidents that they have had over the years would have quite liked the title for themselves )

TR

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:19 pm

Quoting DIA (Reply 11):
There was an article (I think by one of the pilots) about flying the old 732 years ago. It was in either Airways or Airliners Magazine. It is probably my favorite story/article to date in those mags. Quite an adventure...hurricane and all that good stuff...

Not only was it a very informative article, it also explained the political/economical situation in Nauru. I have not been to the region but to me it is always sad to see poor political/economical judgements and government arrogance hitting back hard on the 'normal' people. And that was - at the end of the day - what the ex Air Nauru pilot described.

777ER
Crew

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:27 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 21):

Nauru doesn't have a king ( although I think some of the presidents that they have had over the years would have quite liked the title for themselves )

Well who ever it is in charge of the island
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

ZKSUJ

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:28 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 23):
Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 21):

Well who ever it is in charge of the island

Sounds like Royal Tongan Airlines and their 757 a few years back.

aerorobnz

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:36 pm

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 24):
Sounds like Royal Tongan Airlines and their 757 a few years back.

Same Shit, different Island....lol
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

LPLAspotter

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:27 pm

Quoting IslandHopperCO (Reply 9):
I lived in PNI in 2000 and flew them a few times as well (when did you live there LPLAspotter?),

How be dammned! We must have crossed paths. I was one of the only minwhais who was a regular at the Sakau markets. Miss the reefs and the sakau, nothing else.

LPLAspotter

JRadier

Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:41 pm

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 25):
Same Shit, different Island....lol

but now the essential question is.... did you get the T-shirt?  Wink
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

aerorobnz

Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:19 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 27):
but now the essential question is.... did you get the T-shirt?

Ebay didn't have any..
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

hz747300

Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:49 pm

...wants the B734 for status.

The first time that has to have been uttered.

I agree, close the airline and let it codeshare with someone. Was the phosphate from bird poo that had settled on the island?
Keep on truckin'...

planemanofnz

Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:33 pm

Quoting HZ747300 (Reply 29):
let it codeshare with someone

But with who?

777ER
Crew

Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:14 pm

Quoting HZ747300 (Reply 29):
close the airline and let it codeshare with someone.

But who with as its totally pointless and a big waste of money and time sending a good aircraft to Nauru that could be used on a different route. No one wants to go on holiday to Nauru anyway
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

planemanofnz

Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:49 pm

What is going to happen to the flights to the Solomons? Don't they share an aircraft with Solomon Airlines? And what about the codeshare with Norfolk jet express? I know that that airline also has shut down but hasn't qantas re-instated services back to Norfolk island with the same aircraft?

vfw614

Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:55 pm

For the saga, see also:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200512/s1533290.htm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 32):
know that that airline also has shut down but hasn't qantas re-instated services back to Norfolk island with the same aircraft?

Yes, but apparently operated by Qantas with Air Nauru aircraft (however that works). See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk_Jet_Express

For Air Nauru:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Nauru

I like this quote:

"Service is kept on a very loose schedule because the aircraft is often used for the transportation of government officials. Senior cabinet members and diplomats travel frequently to and from the country to visit international summits and other meetings."

DesertFlyer

Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:33 pm

With their current financial situation, maybe they should look to some less expensive alternatives.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mathieu Pouliot

Vanguard

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:14 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 32):
What is going to happen to the flights to the Solomons? Don't they share an aircraft with Solomon Airlines?

Solomon Airlines codeshare with Air Nauru on a couple of BNE - HIR flights a week. (Unfortunately including one I'm booked on). However, Solair also use a QF plane for one BNE - HIR rotation and also codeshare withe Air Vanuatu for another. So the Solomons will still have airlinks - just less of them!

DC3CV3407AC727

Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:13 pm

I rember seeing their 732 on its weekly Tarawa(Kiribati) run, back in '91. Pretty cool stuff operating that 737 off of a 5000 ft coral strip.
the rumble of round engines is like music to me,likewise the thunder of thr JT8D

LPLAspotter

Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:16 am

Quoting Vanguard (Reply 35):
Solomon Airlines codeshare with Air Nauru on a couple of BNE - HIR flights a week. (Unfortunately including one I'm booked on). However, Solair also use a QF plane for one BNE - HIR rotation and also codeshare withe Air Vanuatu for another. So the Solomons will still have airlinks - just less of them!

Hey Vanguard:

PNI used to have an Australian owned charter airline called ECO air (I think that is the name) flying from Brisbane to Honiara to PNI - at least 6 months ago I think. They wet leased YAK-42 with Russian aircrews, and the a/c was configured as a combi. Are they still running this route? That would give you a chance to fly something exotic!

LPLAspotter

Vanguard

Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:42 am

You're right. I remember now. However, didn't see anything after the initial announcements. A quick Google doesn't find anything.

Never been on a Russian plane - might have been an experience!

It raises the old question about when is a bus/rail/air (delete as appropriate) service a necessity and when is it a luxury. These islands can't just be left isolated from the rest of the world

Perhaps one larger supra-national carrier could copy the Air Vanuatu model (and Air Nauru's attempt) to link several of the island nations together on a regular basis with BNE or AKL.

ClassicLover

Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:48 am

Quoting Vanguard (Reply 38):
Perhaps one larger supra-national carrier could copy the Air Vanuatu model (and Air Nauru's attempt) to link several of the island nations together on a regular basis with BNE or AKL.

You would expect this to happen, wouldn't you? I mean, how much would it take for a Government (hello, Australia!) to buy the damned 737-400 and give it to Nauru as a gift so the island can maintain air services?

Giving countries aid is a bit silly, because aid can be squandered. Giving them a plane with a clause that they may not sell it without Australian Government permission would be something else - useful and tangible.

Or even buying the plane and not giving it to them, but letting them have it on a "lease" for free.

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

HKGKaiTak

Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:18 am

Tampa Tampa where are you?!  duck 

Perhaps the Australian Government could help Nauru by sending a couple hundred more refugees its way ... I'm sure the 98 Tampa crisis gave Air Nauru a bit more business ...

It makes me wonder why the Pacific Islands don't just form an airline alliance in the SK or old GF mould ... so many islands, so many different airlines. Must be a lot of money down the drain. Then again, having your own airline is good for the egos of the various politicians, no matter what the financial consequences may be ...
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

dj738

Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:07 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 15):

You can't just "get" an airline to fly wherever you want. There are commerical issues involved, and no airline is going to fly where there isn't money to be made.

rdwootty

Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:36 am

Of course if they were a US airline they could just go for Chapter 11 and flyon!!

Capital146

Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:52 am

Quoting Cschleic (Reply 3):
There was an interesting and somewhat humorous article about Nauru Air a while back in Airways or Airliners magazine...don't recall which, written by a former pilot.

Quoting Flyorski (Reply 17):
It was in AirlinerWorld. I'm not sure how long ago.

Yeah, was about a year ago, and very interesting it was too! Not only did it give a comprehensive history of the airline, it also gave details of the island of Nauru, how it had been one of the richest places on earth per capita during the 1970's, compared to the near-bankruptcy it faces today. The article also showed the route map for Air Nauru during it's heyday in the mid-1970's, with 732's flying to seemingly every point the South Pacific, plus numerous points in Australia, New Zealand and the Far East, by all accounts with passenger figures barely in double figures (with the article stating some of the flights had NO passengers!). The airline was clearly a status symbol for the island, but could get away with it at the time due to the wealth of the island. Air Nauru is now in the real world and in a bad way financially.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

lightsaber
Crew

Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:21 am

May I recommend the wikipedia article on Nauru:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauru

To think that Nauru once upon a time had a per capita income higher than the USA's... The emirates is thinking ahead post oil. Unfortunately, Nauru will be the example of:

Quoting Scutfarcus (Reply 14):

Due to the cost of providing services to Nauru, Australia has considered moving the population off of the island.  Sad

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

Vanguard

Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:00 pm

Anyone got any more news on the fate of Air Nauru's air service???

Buyantukhaa

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:55 am

Seems they still don't have it back:

MARSHALL ISLANDS: Team Nauru Stranded Here For The Holidays
Tuesday: January 3, 2006

The Nauru delegation that recently competed in the 2nd Micronesia Athletics Championships encountered difficulty returning home and was stranded in Majuro during the Christmas holiday.

According to information posted Friday (30 Dec) on the Oceania Athletics Association website, the delegation was still awaiting a flight to Tarawa and then on to Nauru.

The delegation was expected to leave Majuro last Thursday (29 Dec); however, the athletes and officials were not able to because of a scheduling confusion.

The delegation, along with the Kiribati delegation, left Saipan on 16 Dec for Majuro.

The athletes and officials of both teams were expecting a short layover; however, their wait took much longer than expected, as they did not know that Air Nauru was not able to accommodate their travel.

Air Nauru's only jet was repossessed by the U.S EXIM Bank after the airline fell behind on payments.

Exim Bank spent 18 months trying to negotiate with the airline; however, its final offer was rejected by Air Nauru, resulting in the repossession of the carrier’s lone aircraft.

The Kiribati delegation had better luck and caught a flight to Tarawa on 22 Dec 2005.and were home in time to celebrate the holidays with their families.

It is still unclear whether the team has reached Nauru or not......

http://www.pacificislands.cc/pina/pinadefault2.php?urlpinaid=19280