dptMAN

New Air Wales (UK) Routes

Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:39 pm

I have just visited the Air Wales website to find the launch on 4 new services from the small Welsh carrier. When exactually are the new services from Cardiff to Brussels and Belfast City, and also Cork to Newquay and Exeter. Are Air Wales still going to be providing services for bmiBaby WW from CWL to PIK,BFS,JER,ORK & CDG. I understand Air Wales is to stop serving bmiBay routes due to a new aircraft placement next year for routes to BFS and GLA not PIK. Any idea on dates and timetables please of these new "strange" routes?
Many Thanks

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Wingnut

flycro

RE: New Air Wales (UK) Routes

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:14 am

Air Wales chop and change routes all the time, don't expect these to last too long.

smokeyrosco

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:15 am

I don't know, but, maybe they are going to pull the CWL-DUB route now that Aer Arann is going on there, they seem to be afraid of competition, when they where suppose to be starting routes out of Galway and then was it Aer Arann? or Euromanx? Announced similar routes (which still haven't happened for Euromanx btw) they subsequently pulled the route before it even had it's first flight.

I'm almost sure it was Aer Arann.
John Hancock

gkirk

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:23 am

They've screwed up bigtime on their best route: CWL-NCL
Timings used to be perfect for businessmen with a really useful twice daily schedule, but now the timings are awful and the flights now have an ABZ extension which is doing very poorly. Many business pax now use easyJet NCL-BRS
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

dptMAN

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:27 am

What about a new BRU service? Any news on timetables for that route?

Christa

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:35 am

Air Wales have just recieved a grant from the Welsh Assembly Government. It is part of a Route Development Fund that is for any airline wishing to operate out of Wales. Of course the major international airport in Wales is Cardiff, CWL.

The CWL-NCL route is having average passenger numbers, however as GKirk pointed out there is little demand for the NCL-ABZ sector. This sector to ABZ messes up the flight times and has resulted in reduced numbers on the CWL-NCL route.

As for CWL-DUB, there has been competition from FR for a number of years. Both airlines have managed to co-exist on the route, only time will tell if Aer Arran will affect Air Wales and FR.

CWL-BHD will now be operated by Air Wales and RE, just doesn't make sense, especially with BMIbaby offering a service to BFS from CWL.

Air Wales will still operate some routes for BMIbaby, these are; ORK and JER. It looks as if BMIbaby will operate the CDG service from CWL instead of Air Wales. However, this is not 100% certain at the moment.

Regards,
Chris
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

smokeyrosco

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:02 am

Quoting Christa (Reply 5):
As for CWL-DUB, there has been competition from FR for a number of years. Both airlines have managed to co-exist on the route, only time will tell if Aer Arran will affect Air Wales and FR.

I forgot about FR, good point.

What about the 2 ATR 72's they where suppose to be ordering? Have these completely disappeared?
John Hancock

GLAGAZ

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:10 am

Quoting DptMAN (Thread starter):
Air Wales is to stop serving bmiBay routes due to a new aircraft placement next year for routes to BFS and GLA not PIK.

:S Are you saying Air Wales will follow WW to GLA?

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

PlymSpotter

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:19 am

Quoting DptMAN (Thread starter):
When exactly are the new services from Cardiff to Brussels and Belfast City, and also Cork to Newquay and Exeter.

The new services into Exeter from Cork are due to start on the 4th January. This formerly was the service from Cork to Plymouth which has been transferred to Exeter due yet again to the runway at Plymouth being 'too short' to take off from with a full load and therefore not profitable. The Dublin to Plymouth service has been dropped completely and they also announced a few days later that CWL-PLH was also going to be dropped. I did hear that it might be continuing, but it looks like on the 26th March there will no longer be any Air Wales routes to Plymouth.

Dan
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

drakey

Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:22 am

So have they ditched Swansea for good? I seem to remember a Dublin - Swansea service last summer.

Christa

Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:28 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 6):
What about the 2 ATR 72's they where suppose to be ordering? Have these completely disappeared?

In the summer... probably 2x ATR72's and I have also heard of leasing A319's for sun routes to Europe in the Spring/Summer.

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 7):

BMIbaby have stopped all co-operation with Air Wales on the PIK and BFS routes. BMIbaby will operate the 737 to BFS and move the Glasgow service from PIK to GLA from March 2006.

Quoting Drakey (Reply 9):
So have they ditched Swansea for good? I seem to remember a Dublin - Swansea service last summer.

They operated SWS-CWL-LCY last year. The loads were really good, however SWS did not have the appropriate facilities for bad weather etc and thus resulted in delays. The Air Wales team decided that many of the pax were oddly coming from the SWS sector so saw that the CWL-LCY sector was not worth keeping. In my opinion it was the wrong thing to do. Maybe VLM will look at operating a LCY-CWL service or maybe Air Wales will once again have a look at a service to London.

There are also looks as if there will be a South Wales & North Wales air link launching from next year, possibly either a 2x daily or 1x daily service connecting Cardiff and Valley.

Regards,
Chris
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

dptMAN

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:03 am

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 7):

Gaz

No, Air Wales served PIK (Glasgow Prestiwick) on behalf of bmiBbay although now bmiBbay are launching services from CWL - GLA and not PIK.

Christa

Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:52 pm

Ok, some interesting news on the subject of Air Wales:-

New Routes
CWL-BVA (Paris Beauvais )
CWL-BRU
CWL-BHD
CWL-RNS
MAN-RNS
JER-RNS
WAT-RNS

Intersting to say the least, eh?

Also, FR to increase CWL-DUB frequency to 11x weekly!

Regards,
Chris

dptMAN

Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:44 am

Wow, interesting route concept. Are these real?

Christa

Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:05 am

Quoting DptMAN (Reply 13):
Wow, interesting route concept. Are these real?

Well, they are all bookable on the Air Wales website. I believe that PLH-MAN is also a route that is bookable.

The CWL-BVA is quite an odd one, however the CWL-CDG service will still be operated by Air Wales for BMIbaby.. I think they must be getting some new aircraft for these new routes.

Regards,
Chris

gkirk

Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:09 am

CWL-DUB Ryanair only 10 weekly
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Christa

Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:14 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 15):
CWL-DUB Ryanair only 10 weekly

Sorry, my error.. it is 10x weekly, wasn't thinking!

Still, there was a rumor going around that FR had fallen out with CWL management, obviously not as they are increasing frequency on the DUB route.

Regards,
Chris

smokeyrosco

Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:50 am

Quoting Christa (Reply 12):
WAT-RNS

haha, Aer Arann won't like that.
John Hancock

planesarecool

Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:14 am

Quoting Christa (Reply 16):
Still, there was a rumor going around that FR had fallen out with CWL management, obviously not as they are increasing frequency on the DUB route.

I'm guessing the increase is directly in correlation with the DUB-BRS route being cut from 16x weekly, to just 6x weekly, with no saturday service. I flew this route return on sunday (BRS-DUB), returning on monday, and both flights had about 100 people onboard. Ideal with the B737-200, but i guess less is needed with the B737-800

dptMAN

Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:31 am

Looks like CWL - BRU & CWL-BHD will be double daily flights. Schedules are as follows:

CWL-BRU
6G750 Dept 7.00 Arrive 8.30
6G752 Dept 18.50 Arrive 20.20

BRU-CWL
6G751 Dept 9.00 Arrive 10.30
6G753 Dept 20.50 Arrive 22.20

CWL-BHD
6G771 Dept 7.00 Arrive 8.10
6G777 Dept 18.00 Arrive 19.10

BHD-CWL
6G772 Dept 8.40 Arrive 9.50
6G778 Dept 19.40 Arrive 20.50

dptMAN

BestWestern

Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:33 am

Quoting DptMAN (Reply 13):
Wow, interesting route concept

Air Wales and Bmi have mereged their route development division.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

dptMAN

Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:37 am

Looks like CWL-BVA has been dropped from the 6G Website.
dptMAN

Christa

Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:48 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 20):

Air Wales and Bmi have mereged their route development division.

So true.. Big grin! LOL!

Quoting DptMAN (Reply 21):
Looks like CWL-BVA has been dropped from the 6G Website.

Oh, what a surprise...!

Regards,
Chris

dptMAN

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:58 am

Looks like 6G has re-added their new BVA service back onto their website. What is going on at Air Wales??

smokeyrosco

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:50 am

Quoting DptMAN (Reply 23):
What is going on at Air Wales??

I've been asking myself that for the last couple of years
John Hancock

PlymSpotter

Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:07 am

Quoting DptMAN (Reply 23):
Looks like 6G has re-added their new BVA service back onto their website. What is going on at Air Wales??

In the last few days they have also re-added the PLH-CWL service to their website that was due to finish at the end of March.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Christa

Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:51 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 24):
What is going on at Air Wales??

Who knows?

The airline has the capability to grow, however it must first sustain it's routes that have worked for them and increase frequency on them.

For example:-

CWL-DUB is currently 2x daily during the week, maybe it should be made 3x daily with a midday service that would be at a reduced cost than the morning and evening flights, thus attracting a different sort of passenger. The same goes for CWL-NCL where they have altered the times, thus preventing business passengers from having a full day in Cardiff/Newcastle.

I do hope that the new CWL routes are successful, especially CWL-BRU and RNS as I can see a market for these routes that doesn't exist at CWL at the moment. The routes must be correctly marketed and priced reasonably. The same goes for BVA, however I can see that route actually working as there is a large demand for CWL-Paris flights, with BMIbaby operating a 2x daily CWL-CDG.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 25):
In the last few days they have also re-added the PLH-CWL service to their website that was due to finish at the end of March.

Good to hear about the CWL-PLH route. 6G seems to get good loads on that route and allows people to connect via CWL for other Air Wales services as well as non-Air Wales services.

Regards,
Chris

smokeyrosco

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:39 pm

I love Air Wales, most of the hosties... well in my terms, they are hot AND that accent, wow. But besides that,

they have better (and working) aircraft and a better service then RE so i don't understand why they don't try to take them asunder other then the whole fact that there is more of a chance of 6G being on time then there is me hooking up with a 6G hostie.
John Hancock

yago

Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:08 am

I hope they keep flying to CDG as they've got the most charming lady captain I've seen in all my years working as a red cap  Smile

trintocan

Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:00 am

Air Wales - they have a habit of playing musical chairs with their routes. I hope that these new routes work for them though. I am surprised to see that Aer Arann Express is starting services to CWL - one would have thought that FR and 6G itself had the route sewn up. Therein lies the problem with 6G - on occasion it has chopped and changed the frequency of this their most successful route so much (from 3x daily to once daily and now 2x daily and once stopped Sat. services - never a good thing to do when you have leisure pax on that route) that RE decided to try out the route and capture some of 6G's business.

I wish them the best though as they do have good inflight service - and yes they have lovely FA's.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

vfw614

Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:32 am

Have the Rennes services and the new BVA route been announced officially in the meantime ? They are all bookable on the website.

EGTESkyGod

Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:43 am

Even more commercial traffic at Exeter.... More orbits for me in the downwind leg then...... Class D Airspace, here we come!

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 8):
This formerly was the service from Cork to Plymouth which has been transferred to Exeter due yet again to the runway at Plymouth being 'too short' to take off from with a full load and therefore not profitable.

Really? Thats news to me. Pretty certain I've seen G-KNNY with a full load of pax recently take off on Rwy 13. Have heard the ATR42s short field performance is quite good. Not sure how it is compared to the Dash 8, but you can just about get a 146 in there, and it has been done.

Although, you are right, EGHD's runway 31/13 is a bit short. On Rwy 13, if we're not down by the intersection, we're told to go around, and thats in a C152/PA28!
I came, I saw, I Concorde! RIP Michael Jackson

BestWestern

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:23 am

I tried to book PLH DUB last weekend... but alas... no longer exists.... Flybe got my business. I wouldnt trust Air Wales with my business.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos