Junction
Topic Author

Multiple Alaska Airlines Liveries

Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:29 am

The Alaska Airlines liveries used before singling out for the current Eskimo scheme were great. When exactly did AS choose to only use the Eskimo, and why? The others would look great on 738s today, don't you think?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bob Harrington - Bobqat Photographs
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

CF-CPI

RE: Multiple Alaska Airlines Liveries

Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:58 pm

I've heard that the multiple tails caused something of an identity crisis and they wanted to reduce it to a single design for consistent branding, or whatever the marketing people call it. As I recall, they conducted a survey and the eskimo was by far the most popular graphic, so he was picked to represent the airline. However, I think they painted a smile on his face (the original guy frowned).

The totem pole is my favorite.

Personally I like multiple tails (including BA), and these would have looked sharp on something like a Convair 880 (which conceivably could have still been around in 1971/72 when the 'Alaska tails' came in).

I think AS had an old 707 or 720 that was painted on some modified form of the eskimo, but the stripe lacked the gold and didn't look as nice as the ones shown above.

Junction
Topic Author

Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:28 am

Quoting CF-CPI (Reply 1):
I've heard that the multiple tails caused something of an identity crisis

Thanks for the info. I suppose it might have been viewed as an identity crisis at the time, but now that AS is a major carrier I think it could work pretty well. Especially with the retro scheme popularity of today. It would be great to see these again.

dw9115

Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:32 am

I like the multiple schemes kind of like Frontier. Hell I like Alaska Airlines period I try and fly them as much as possible.