Increased frequencies from Dublin – 2006

Dublin – Frankfurt increases to twice daily

Dublin – Barcelona increases to daily

Dublin – Faro increases to daily

Dublin – Malaga increases to 8 per week

Dublin – Carcassonne increases to 5 per week

Dublin – Biarritz increases to 4 per week

Dublin – Lodz increases to 3 per week
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

shamrock350

RE: Ryanair Launch DUB-HUY + 17 Other Routes From DUB

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:00 pm

This is good news for Ireland but they are back to attacking Aer Lingus, calling them the "high fares airline" and according to FR, Aer Lingus is no longer the Irish national carrier because it's smaller that FR.

gkirk

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:03 pm

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=166272884&p=y66z7359x

Ryanair not becoming a Latvian airline then  Wink

EI321

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:03 pm

Always nice to see more routes to eastern europe from DUB. I hope the DAA get off their asses and build the new terminal soon, the place is getting severly overcrowded.

BestWestern

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:04 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 1):
This is good news for Ireland but they are back to attacking Aer Lingus, calling them the "high fares airline" and according to FR, Aer Lingus is no longer the Irish national carrier because it's smaller that FR.

Yawn - typical Ryanair PR drivel. People have a choice - and ryanair are now realising there are profits to be made from Ireland. 17 new routes - very significant growth.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

EI321

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:06 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 2):
Ryanair not becoming a Latvian airline then

It does not bother me if FR changed thier AOC to Latvia as the 738s would still have Irish registrations.

shamrock350

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:08 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 4):
Yawn - typical Ryanair PR drivel. People have a choice - and ryanair are now realising there are profits to be made from Ireland. 17 new routes - very significant growth.

I have nothing against Ryanair. I have tried them out a few times and they were fine. I just want to know what makes a "national carrier" because I have always seen Aer Lingus as the "national carrier" and a low fares airline.
Does anyone even belive some of the things airlines say about eachother.

[Edited 2005-12-21 12:25:25]

EI321

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:59 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 6):
I just want to know what makes a "national carrier" because I have always seen Aer Lingus as the "national carrier" and a low fares airline.
Does anyone even belive some of the things airlines say about eachother.

While the exact definition of a 'national carrier' is not very clear, I consider it to be either:
1. a nationalised (ie govt owned) airline, such as EI, or
2. An airline which was originally govt owned but has since been privatised, such as BA.

shamrock350

Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:27 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 7):
While the exact definition of a 'national carrier' is not very clear, I consider it to be either:
1. a nationalised (ie govt owned) airline, such as EI, or
2. An airline which was originally govt owned but has since been privatised, such as BA.

Thankyou EI321. I would not call Ryanair a national carrier just because of their size but they are one of the best low fares airlines ever, I would like see both Aer Lingus and Ryanair expand in Europe and for Aer Lingus around the world.

Hals

Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:28 pm

Always nice to see a new carrier at HUY, about time too...! Things are hotting up at lilttle old HUY..

gkirk

Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:33 pm

Will the population of Hull, Grimsby and Cleethorpes be able to support a daily 738 to DUb though?  Wink

ushermittwoch

Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:55 pm

With all these developments, I wish that FR (or U2) for that matter woul fly from FMO. The travel expenses to the LCC airports around here (excluding DTM) are HIGHER than the tickets...
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

lehovec

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:01 pm

Aaaaarrrrghhh...

Quoting Gkirk (Thread starter):
GERMANY - Baden (Stuttgart) and Hamburg

It Luebeck and not Hamburg

ITALY - Milan and Venice

It's Bergamo and not Milano, it's Treviso and not Venice

Dublin – Frankfurt increases to twice daily

It's Hahn and not FRA

Dublin – Barcelona increases to daily

It's Girona and not Barcelona

Are they going to actually use primary airports in VLC and MRS?! Woow, impressed.  Smile

747400F

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:08 pm

Quoting Lehovec (Reply 12):
Aaaaarrrrghhh...

and Säve not GOT
All humans have the right to marry the one they love

ushermittwoch

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:15 pm

It's Bergamo and not Milano, it's Treviso and not Venice

Altough one might argue that BGY is closer to Milan (than MXP) and it's also cheaper to get into town from BGY than from MXP...

lehovec

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:58 pm

It is cheaper I agree on that one, but if you are not driving it might be easier to get from MXP then BGY. From MXP there is Malpensa Express and from BGY first you have to get to the town on Bergamo and then take a train.
Bus... again cheaper (only 2 euros) but takes bit longer (much more during rush hour).

I am not sure how is it with perception of those two airports. Would a Milanese think about flying from BGY or would his first option be MXP because it is Milan's airport.

Let's not forget that LIN is different story... close and convenient.

Billy

Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:33 pm

I understand that these were hastely launched as EI was going to announce a bunch of these same routes (but not necessarily the same airports).

Orion737

Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:11 am

I think the 738 to HUY might be a bit big. This is where a smaller aircraft would have come in handy. Pity the old 732s are going because their 130 seat capacity would be more suited to a daily HUY-DUB service. Particulalrly since Ryanair already offers flights from nearby LBA and Doncaster.

flycro

Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:35 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 1):

But do people really believe the FR propaganda they come out with, people must be fools if they do!!!

Joost

Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:12 am

Quoting Flycro (Reply 18):

But do people really believe the FR propaganda they come out with, people must be fools if they do!!!

Well, the actual goal of Ryanair is :
1. to create a low-cost image
2. to make people always include ryanair.com in their search to a flight trip.

When they constantly promote themselves as cheap airline on either way, they will arrange both goals. If a flight on EI is cheaper than on FR, people are more likely to choose EI. But this statements get the media attention - as this threas is a perfect example.

They seem to go head-to-head with SkyEurope too on many routes, now also with DUB to KRK and BTS included.

greenjet

Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:53 am

Quoting Joost (Reply 19):
They seem to go head-to-head with SkyEurope too on many routes, now also with DUB to KRK and BTS included.

SkyEurope are there for the taking. At least Ryanair might actually market the DUB-BTS and DUB-KRK routes! Interesting to see three airlines on the DUB-KRK route but the demand is certainly there.

On 27th May 2004 there were no scheduled flights between Dublin and Poland. As things stand there will be 55 flights a week in each direction in Summer 2006. Sign of the times really with 3% of the Irish population now Polish.

Quoting 747400F (Reply 13):
and Säve not GOT

Säve is actually closer to Gothenburg than Landvetter.

It's Hahn and not FRA

Nobody said it was FRA. However, Hahn is Frankfurt Hahn as stated by Fraport, IATA and Ryanair among others. As someone pointed out in the Irish Times today it often takes less time to get from Hahn to central Frankfurt than it does from parts of Dublin city to Dublin airport  Smile

Thomas_Jaeger

Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:46 am

By the way, something which has been discussed over and over again. FR has also announced to move its VBS-CIA route to BGY, so they really will be entering the Milan-Rome market next spring ...
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

Christa

Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:48 am

This announcement makes CWL 10x daily!
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

ushermittwoch

Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:00 am

Quoting Greenjet (Reply 20):
As someone pointed out in the Irish Times today it often takes less time to get from Hahn to central Frankfurt than it does from parts of Dublin city to Dublin airpor

No doubt about it. I have NEVER needed as long to get to any airport as I did to DUB (in a time-distance relation). It's absolutely pathetic!

cityjet

Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:17 am

Curious how these routes will work out... also how EI with flight it.
FR check in desks are crowded enough at DUB..
EI have the fast pass machines and they won't leave you stuck somewhere over night due to a flight cancellation unlike FR - fine if travelling within UK or to UK as there are alternatives but to the continent !

greenjet

Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:56 am

Quoting Ushermittwoch (Reply 23):
No doubt about it. I have NEVER needed as long to get to any airport as I did to DUB (in a time-distance relation). It's absolutely pathetic!

A lot of things about DUB are pathetic and frankly embarrassing. It's ridiculous that there's no rail link from the airport. There are plans for one but it really should have been built years ago - the Irish government isn't renowned for its foresight when it comes to transport issues.

Quoting Cityjet (Reply 24):
FR check in desks are crowded enough at DUB..

From what I read yesterday in the Irish Times new temporary check-in space will be used by FR. Possibly the underground storage area that has been mentioned in recent times? The terminal is going to be a nightmare in Summer 06 as Pier D doesn't open till 2007 at the earliest.

BestWestern

Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:28 am

Quoting Cityjet (Reply 24):
but to the continent

Shock Horror - the continent- oh no - how terrible would that be.

Quoting Greenjet (Reply 25):
A lot of things about DUB are pathetic and frankly embarrassing

Cue the monthly Airliners.net lets trash DUB postings by the 'isnt Ireland terrible' brigade. Only yesterday did I hear people complaining about the new motorway network, and that part of it is tolled. €2.60 isnt expensive...

DUB is a pleasure to use in comparison to many other city airports in Europe of a similar size (ATH, MAN, DUS, TXL, ORY, BRU, FCO, MXP) . Remember that Ryanair refuse to pay for anything, so the quality of DUB is only proportional to whats paid. Compare DUB to LTN, and not CPH or OSL.

And how many of these airports are witnessing and accomodating the growth that DUB has seen over the past decade? Eh.... none of them.

Quoting Greenjet (Reply 25):
Possibly the underground storage area that has been mentioned in recent times

Yes, the space that the airport authority had the vision to build nearly thirty years ago for an underground rail station for the airport - its cavernous underneath the baggage reclaim area.

[Edited 2005-12-22 23:31:54]
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

Pe@rson

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:44 pm

I'm glad FR is expanding at DUB - it's well overdue.

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 26):
DUB is a pleasure to use

And very easy-to-use.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

planesarecool

Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:27 am

DUB is a pleasure to use

Agreed. I overnighted there last sunday night, and was there for 7 hours throughout the night, and even though there were no departures throughout a 4 hour period, the cafe on the top floor remained open all night as did the Upper Crust on the arrivals floor. I don't believe any cafes or restaurants stay open all night at Gatwick (through the winter anyway) or Heathrow, especially on a sunday night/monday morning.

The only moan i did have was that the bureau de change only opened at 6am, and i had to use one of the cash machines which were confusing (i pressed for 10 euros then it said i had to get a multiple of 50 euros???).

I was also amazed at the amount of people who overnighted there that night - couldn't get a seat in the cafe that was open, and had to get a seat near the sbarro and mcdonalds.

cityjet

Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:29 am

Hi Best Western.

Yes,the continent - it would be really terrible if after a nice holiday you are stuck in the middle of nowhere due to ryanair.

Ryanair are excellent in bringing you from nowhere to the middle of nowhere !

If you get stuck in the UK - maybe you would have to pay 100sterling for a one way with EI or BD or easyjet. You could also take a bus, train and ferry combination.

Unfortunately if stuck in Poland, France, Italy or Spain - it is quite a distance to Ireland where often a one way fare at short notice is 400Euro and you even have to travel locally from nowhere to civilsation.

greenjet

Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:13 pm

Cue the monthly Airliners.net lets trash DUB postings by the 'isnt Ireland terrible' brigade.

Well I work at DUB every day and I can tell you it is a horrible working environment. Even though I don't work in the 'front line' I get a lot of grief from pissed off pax.

Remember that Ryanair refuse to pay for anything, so the quality of DUB is only proportional to whats paid. Compare DUB to LTN, and not CPH or OSL.

Ah but at least LTN has a rail link  Smile However comparing DUB to LTN is laughable. The latter handles only 40% of DUB's pax numbers, is totally dominated by LCCs and is privately-owned. LTN is also not the primary gateway for its nation.

DUB is a pleasure to use in comparison to many other city airports in Europe of a similar size (ATH, MAN, DUS, TXL, ORY, BRU, FCO, MXP) .

Just because there are other airports worse off in Europe it does not make it acceptable. Ireland is one of the success stories of the EU but its main international gateway is archaic and creeking at the seems with increasingly disgruntled pax. Yesterday it was difficult to find a working ATM (as usual). I walked down to Pier B which is a building site with wires hanging down from the ceiling - it also had a sewage smell by the new shopping area. The self-service restaurant didn't have enough seats (very common occurence). So I walked down to Pier C where the moving walkways were bust (again). Caffe Ritazza was busy so I walked on down to O'Briens at the far end because there was a sign beside Ritazza saying it was still open. It was in fact shut. Excellent. Then coming back in to the airport as a domestic pax I will have to go through passport control. Genius. In conclusion - bah humbug  Smile

Ryanair may not pay for much at DUB but a lot of airlines do and the DAA certainly make enough money from OTT car park fees and their shops to re-invest in better facilities.

Only yesterday did I hear people complaining about the new motorway network, and that part of it is tolled. €2.60 isnt expensive...

In fairness it's a fair bit for a relatively low-income commuter who has to make the journey every day.

Danny

Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:28 pm

Will be interesting to see EI and FR going head to head on DUB-POZ route. EI has just announced that route recently with pretty high fares offered.

shamrock350

Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:56 pm

Aer Lingus have a mix of "low" fares and "high" fares with their lowest fare being only €1 and with their highest being €39 in Europe. I don't think you can call €39 a "high" fare but compared to Ryanair it is a "high" fare and they could get away with that before Ryanair introduced these new routes but now it looks like fare prices will drop and the fares war will really begin.

BestWestern

Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:11 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 32):
but now it looks like fare prices will drop and the fares war will really begin.

Which means we can continue flying Aer Lingus for cheaper. No need to fly Ryanair anymore.

shamrock350

Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:15 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 33):
Which means we can continue flying Aer Lingus for cheaper. No need to fly Ryanair anymore.

If Ryanair did a flight to Poznan for 99p and Aer Lingus did a flight for less, then I would fly Aer Lingus, if it was the other way around I would have to think about flying Ryanair.

AirNZ

Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:08 am

Quoting Ushermittwoch (Reply 23):

What's exactly pathetic about it.....and honestly, some of you so called aviation 'fanatics' on A.net are absolutely amazing???
Dublin airport is 6 miles from the city centre and is served by three different bus methods (including a 24 hour Aircoach service) into Dublin city alone, plus services to a multitude of locations outside. In addition there are a multitude of taxi's readily available!
Now, please pray tell me what is so damned difficult in travelling 6 miles or so......other than the fact that many on here seem to regard every aspect of airports/flying as being exclusively for the own personal convenience??
Get real!
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146

greenjet

Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:23 pm

Quoting AirNZ (Reply 35):
Dublin airport is 6 miles from the city centre and is served by three different bus methods (including a 24 hour Aircoach service) into Dublin city alone

Yes but on many occasions it can take one hour just to travel those 6 miles, even with the city's bus lanes. In fact it has taken me 90 minutes at times just to get to Ballsbridge by Aircoach. Traffic congestion at peak hours is increasing all the time and with no rail link operational before 2012 at the earliest things aren't going to get much prettier.

In addition there are a multitude of taxi's readily available!

Yes but often they will refuse to take you to the likes of Swords, Howth and Malahide even though they are supposed to provide a public service.

Now, please pray tell me what is so damned difficult in travelling 6 miles or so

It's ok if you have time and/or money due to reasons stated above and are travelling at off-peak times.