boac707

Cargo Plane Crash In Northern BC

Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:37 pm

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/st...ad7-4165-992f-fe00025914c9&k=15934

This is just a bad year for plane crashes...and a generally crappy time of the year for any accidents.

Condolences to the families.
smokey classics to the end of time

tjwgrr

RE: Cargo Plane Crash In Northern BC

Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:08 am

Wonder if this was the bird?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Christopher Jacobs

From watching various Mitsubishi MU-2's from time to time, is it me or do they seem very unstable? They seem to have a very high landing speed, also short in length with a narrow landing gear stance - almost top heavy.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

Jayce

Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:08 am

That's the second crash for NavAir this year. In the summer they lost a Navajo while on approach to Comox, also killing both the pilot and co-pilot.

My condolences to the families as well.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

m404

Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:19 am

I'm not a pilot but have a friend who is and owned several MU-2s. I believe he's said they were fairly difficult to handle because of the kinds of control surfaces (or lack of) and needed constant attention from the crew. Also think he said a high approach speed was needed for the same reason. Any others able to verify that and amplify of that?

I was surprised to see them in a freighter role do to perceived low lift ability if those stories are true.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

RyGuy

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:40 am

The Second??? Now I am sure that they should look into Maintenance... 2 is alot of crahs' for an Airline in one year!!

Rest In Peace and God Bless the Pilot and Co-Pilot!

Thanks

-RyGuy  Sad
From somewhere out there...

APFPilot1985

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:43 am

Quoting M404 (Reply 3):
I'm not a pilot but have a friend who is and owned several MU-2s. I believe he's said they were fairly difficult to handle because of the kinds of control surfaces (or lack of) and needed constant attention from the crew. Also think he said a high approach speed was needed for the same reason. Any others able to verify that and amplify of that?

I've never heard anyone say they enjoyed flying the MU-2, only people complaining about how bad they are to fly..... I know when a company for whom I used to work owned them we always hired someone to ferry them rather than have one of our pilots do it.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

Jayce

Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:55 am

According to the news this morning, NavAir has surrendered their OC and must apply to have it re-instated. Very sad, from what I've heard they are an awesome airline to fly for. A lot of guys have gone from there to fly for the regionals.

In 1995, they lost a Navajo in Kamloops, killing the captain (PNF) and severly injuring the FO (PF). This was ruled as pilot error.

This past summer they lost another Navajo on approach to Comox, killing both the captain and first officer. The cause of this was an engine fire.

God bless, boys, rest in peace  Sad

CXH

Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:37 am

Quoting Tjwgrr (Reply 1):
Wonder if this was the bird?

Actually, the aircraft that crashed is C-FTWO. Probably looked the same as that link.

Surprisingly, a local TV newscast (CTV Vancouver) had a big report on it and the registration is clearly visible. The tail section appears intact but the rest of the aircraft is a mess, sadly.

Here is a link if you want to watch:
http://www.ctv9.ca/streamnews.jsp?id=/news/streaming_news.htm

Select the Wednesday (Dec 21) Newscast and it starts about 11 minutes in.
I've seen the future, I can't afford it. - Martin Fry

Jayce

Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:18 pm

I was trying to find a picture of the exact aircraft but man-oh-man, whatever you do, don't do a Google image search for "C-FTWO".

Ah, the media. So quick to blame. From what I've heard, the crash in April was the result of a new engine with a defect from the manufacturer (a leaking oil seal). I don't think that's poor maintenance or unsafe flying. Basically, bad luck; the engine could have gone to any operator. We should get a better idea of what happened before we play the blame game and crucify the pilots or the maintainance personnel or the management or the company.

I feel for the team at NavAir. I am quite fond of that company, I've been there many times over the past year and had some good talks with their old Chief Pilot. They are in my thoughts and prayers this Christmas.

N723GW

Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:45 pm

I remember when I was in Aviation Weather, we listened to recordings of emergencies due to ice, and I seem to recall a MU-2 crashing in that general area, I want to say it was in the early 90's...so sad. Condolences to the families...
The dude abides

DLKAPA

Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:50 pm

Mu 2's are a beast. Extremely unstable and because they lack aelerons, they are uncontrollable at low speeds. Lose an engine and you don't get home is what I've heard. In the past year, 2 of them have gone down around APA.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same