Timmytour
Topic Author

Ice Falling From Aircraft

Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:24 pm

My local paper today is carrying a headline about one such incident where the chunk of ice just missed an old guy tending his allotment.

Made me slightly nervous as his allotment is right next door to my children's school! I had visions of the same thing happening during term time and the block of ice landing in the playground!

It did make me wonder though, has anyone experienced such an occurence?

The story can be seen here..

http://www.hertsessexnews.co.uk/news...e%20a%20jolly%20lucky%20fellow.lpf

boac707

RE: Ice Falling From Aircraft

Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:34 pm

Actually, back in the early 80's as a member of the RCMP, I investigated a similar case where a chunk of blue ice went through a roof of a house in Deep Cove, BC. By checking ATC records we were able to pin point the plane and the Canadian Aviation authorities went after the airline (Canadian), and the pilot.

The chunk of ice was about the same size as what is reported above. Scary how much damage can be done....
smokey classics to the end of time

broke

Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:12 am

There have been several incidents of "blue ice" falling from aircraft. The basic cause is a fluid leak at the lavatory service panel causing a layer of ice to form on the outside of the airplane. When its weight and/or drag reach a sufficient level, the ice breaks away from the airplane.
On the 727, there is a lavatory service panel is on the left side of the airplane forward of the wing. On at least 4 occasions, when there was a leak at that location, the ice went over the wing and into the No. 3 engine. The engine seized immediately and the rotational energy was transmitted to the engine mounts resulting in the inflight physical loss of the entire engine. Happily, there were no injuries or damage in the location where the engine landed.
There have been several Airworthiness Directives (AD's) directed towards this problem in the United States, which resulted in a decrease in leaking lavatory service panels but not a complete absence.

Grbld

Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:56 pm

Brings a whole new meaning to the term "taking a leak!"

Grbld

whitehatter

Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:04 pm

There were also issues with the ATR-42 and ATR-72 which suffered ice buildup on the wings in certain conditions. It allegedly brought down an American Eagle flight.

I would think that they would be substantial blocks of ice to interfere with the ailerons, and could come loose.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

motif1

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:12 am

There was case a year ago in a neighboring town - Lynn, MA. A chunk of ice fell through the roof of an old lady's home. I remember the news on TV - big hole in ceiling.

An article is still available
http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...e_from_airplane_crashes_into_home/

M1
Not only is this incomprehensible but the ink is ugly and the paper is from the wrong kind of tree

broke

Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:18 am

WhiteHatter, what you are talking about is the accumulation of ice on the wing leading edge due to flying in freezing precipitation. When that comes off of an airplane, it is in little bits and pieces that don't amount to anything.
The main affect is to badly reduce the wing's lift and result in what happened in the state in Indiana several years ago.
The ice accumulation due to a leaking lavatory service panel can produce a good size chuck of "blue ice". That doesn't affect the airplane much, but it could make a mess when and where it hits the ground.

robsawatsky

Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:41 am

Quoting BOAC707 (Reply 1):
Actually, back in the early 80's as a member of the RCMP, I investigated a similar case where a chunk of blue ice went through a roof of a house in Deep Cove, BC

I remember that one, but I thought there was a similar case over Delta, BC in the 90's?

boac707

Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:06 am

There may have been, but I was back in Ontario by then....
smokey classics to the end of time

VgnAtl747

Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:53 am

I was working an IROP the other day and had some downtime to just hang out with the crew and talk- a similar topic came up, as our flight attendants are instructed to not use the galley drain, but rather to put coffee/soda/water in the physical garbage bag in the aircraft. Apparently due to the risk of the substance you're draining freezing in the drain pipe (which comes right out of the bottom of the aircraft on a CRJ, just aft of the nose gear).

There wasn't overall concern of chunks of ice falling from the aircraft, as the drain surface on the aircraft surface is heated, but rather the drain backing up and causing problems with maintenance- although I suppose if the heating surface on the underside of the aircraft was inoperable for some reason, this could potentially cause falling ice from the galley drain.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines