rootsair

Exorbitant Air Fares On Some Routes! Too Much!

Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:45 am

I made a little research on the internet which gave pretty interesting results.

I often play around with the http://www.sta.ch website which shows prices for flights from GVA/ZRH/BSL to practically any destination in the world..I searched prices for Economy class of course
I often like to see how much it costs to go to such and such place !

Well the other day i was thinking about my trip tou South Africa last augusta and the fact i passed by Swaziland...
Thus i tried to see how much it would be if I went directly to Swaziland going to Manzini/Matsapha airport....The price all taxes inclding was 2500 Swiss francs(1660 Eur. / 1900$)....twice as much as going to JNB ...I guess the fare is so high because there is less demand on that route,..
Thus I tried ZRH-MTS sincethere is al least a direct ZRH-JNB flight so I thought it could be less expensive....nothing !!

It has an exorbitant price of 4'131 Swiss francs (2623 Eur./3126$)with SAA!! all taxes included!! even more expensive than GVA.
so i went to the SAA website to check out the if the fares were correct...and indeed it was the same price.

some othe destinations like VVI(Santa Cruz Bolivia were also far more expensive tan less used La Paz airport) 3800 Sfr(244 eur./2900$) vs 1700 sfr (1100 eur./1300$)

so here is the question?

1) Why do some destinations have such exorbitant air prices...is it because demand is much less ?

2) Why was the air fare from GVA far less expensive than from ZRH despite the fact that you have to take more flights (connxion) from GVA?
3) Why is VVI more expensive than LPB ?...thought VVI was the country's major airport ...
Could anyone explain me the logic of those airfares

Regards

BM

[Edited 2005-12-22 20:50:50]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

AirScoot

Exorbitant Air Fares On Some Routes! Too Much!

Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:03 am

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
3) Why is VVI more expensive than LPB ?...thought VVI was the country's major airport ...
Could anyone explain me the logic of those airfares

I thought this one was rather odd.. I did some checking both from GVA and from ZRH. As with the departures from the US I've seen, LPB and VVI are common rated. All I can think of is the routing/availability for the dates you chose. I did a little looking on a couple of dates.. and the fares were identical between the two cities.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos