varig md-11

AF And The NEV On 744

Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:28 am

I come back from a CDG-MIA-CDG on AF90/95 operated by the NEV reconfigured 744 ( NEV = nouvel espace voyage)

when I took the same flights in June the 744 were in old 3 class configuration with in total some 390 pax
with the NEV, the planes I took this time were approx 390 eco + 40 biz.
that means a direct increase of 40 pax on the AF CDG-MIA route and even more considering the 2nd CDG-MIA operated with an A340 is also NEV reconfigured!
flight loads were very good both ways with nearly all seats taken.
lots of connecting pax from MIA to FCO and MAD / BCN on the way back

the route CDG - MIA is absolutely an A380 one!!!

also good to know, the upper deck is now some kind of improved eco with PTV and bigger legroom - PTVs are not there in the normal cattle class Sad -

so, should you take an AF 744 in eco don't hesitate to ask the upper deck while checking in as it's much cooler for the same price  Smile
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TN

anxebla

RE: AF And The NEV On 744

Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:59 am

Quoting Varig md-11 (Thread starter):
so, should you take an AF 744 in eco don't hesitate to ask the upper deck while checking in as it's much cooler for the same price

Agree!!! Travelling in a 747 upper deck is always a pleasure.
AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft

varig md-11

Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:05 am

and also in the back of the "hump" there's the open bar which is very cosy considering it's only for the privileged upper deck people
furthermore a good occasion to have discussion with nice AF crew  Wink
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TN

whitehatter

Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:12 am

I've seen some stuff about the upper deck on the 744, and it seems premium passengers don't like their business or first class seats to be located in the hump.

It was related to space and perception. Apparently premium punters much prefer the cabin to be located forward on the main deck, with better stowage space and headroom. It was quite a study which touched on psychology as well, including a subconscious feeling that hump seats are somehow of lower value.

Me? Love sitting up there.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

tundra767

Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:08 am

I can agree with that survey. I have never been one to like the upper deck. It has a cramped tight feeling to me. I much prefer the main deck. My favorite seat is 1A. I am assuming that AF elite passengers are getting preference on upperdeck seating? Economy would be on upstairs I would think but a premium ( P,J ) no way.

LipeGIG

Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:49 am

Quoting Tundra767 (Reply 4):
I am assuming that AF elite passengers are getting preference on upperdeck seating?

It's the same info given by AF staff in Rio. The upperdeck of the NEV 744 used there is reserved to their top customers. I wish to get one seat on my World Cup Trip next year !

Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

varig md-11

Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:34 pm

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 5):
It's the same info given by AF staff in Rio. The upperdeck of the NEV 744 used there is reserved to their top customers.

it was not told to me but I kind of realized it
I am Skyteam Elite myself and was given the hump automatically while checking in at CDG.
then while boarding I could see lots of eco pax in the upper deck had the Flying blue silver (and above) tags and one was even Flying blue Platinum.

btw, I suspect this platinum member who was Arnold Schwartzeneger-like to be some skymarshall since he had the seat exactly in front of the reinforced cockpit door; AF would pay a private security company employing ex-boxers or bodyguards to do the skymarshall, I don't know if it's still the case.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos