ualflyer

Is There A New Terminal At IAD

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:59 pm

UalFlyer here,

I am flying into IAD(Dulles) within a week. I always check the map to see where the gates for my flight are and if the airline has switched anything. I was on United's website looking at the maps when I came across this new terminal, Terminal Z. Does anyone know about it. Who docks at those gates, is it a commuter terminal, and is it nice.

Thanks,
UalFlyer

flyCMH

RE: Is There A New Terminal At IAD

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:06 am

The "Z" Gates at Dulles were opened a few months ago and are used by USAirways and their commuter affiliates. It's probably the most convenient terminal at IAD, since one does not have to take a mobile lounge to get to the gates. As far as how "nice" they are, I wouldn't know, since the most I've seen of its interior is peering through the terminal windows while driving by on a mobile lounge.

uswyjer

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:06 am

Terminal Z are newly opened gates that are attached to the main terminal (check-in, etc...), US Airways and Express are the only operators at the moment. I read an article about in some aviation magazine the other day, currently there are 4 gates which can hold up to an A320; eventually the airport hopes to add 4 gates to the other side. I vaguely remember this is where United Express used to park.

RDUDDJI

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:17 am

UAX parked on the West side of the ATCT in what used to be called the T terminal. Now, there is now a giant hole there, where they are building a train station for the other terminals. The Z gates are on the East side of the ATCT. US is the only carrier over there now. It's fairly nice inside...but the only restaurant I've seen in there is a Subway.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

bohica

Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:10 am

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 3):
UAX parked on the West side of the ATCT in what used to be called the T terminal. Now, there is now a giant hole there, where they are building a train station for the other terminals. The Z gates are on the East side of the ATCT.

In the 1990's, NW, US, and UAX operated from the east side of the tower and UAX had everything on the west side of the tower. Those used to be the "A" gates. When the "B" concourse opened, US and NW moved over there and UAX took over the entire "A" gates. When the new "A" concourse opened next to the "B" concourse, The "A" gates on the west side of the tower became the "T" gates. The "A" gates on the east side were closed and torn down. This has now been rebuilt as the "Z" gates and US has moved there. Like RDUDDJI stated, the old "T" gates is now a hole in the ground.

halls120

Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:33 am

Quoting FlyCMH (Reply 1):
The "Z" Gates at Dulles were opened a few months ago and are used by USAirways and their commuter affiliates. It's probably the most convenient terminal at IAD, since one does not have to take a mobile lounge to get to the gates. As far as how "nice" they are, I wouldn't know, since the most I've seen of its interior is peering through the terminal windows while driving by on a mobile lounge.

They are new, but nothing special. The B terminal is nicer, and now that you can walk underground from the main terminal to get there, you can avoid the mobile lounges there as well.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography