litz

Is US Melting Down Again This Year?

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:42 am

Remember the chaos last year with US and baggage?

Is it happening again?

I arrived yesterday in SAV from PHL, my bag didn't.

Calling today to find out the status, the rep had no answer, couldn't get the bag offices in either PHL or CLT on the phone, and told me she had heard of "thousands" of unsorted bags at both locations ...

This sounds eerily like last year ...

She had no information on when I could possibly expect my bag, either ....

:-(

What options are there for reimbursement in this situation, as I'm now forced to go hit walmart for basic things like toiletries, clothes, etc ... ?

- litz

BigJimFX

RE: Is US Melting Down Again This Year?

Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:07 am

I'm surprised the BSA didn't offer you an overnight bag. Most baggage counters have them and they contain the nessesities such as a razor, soap, shampoo and what not. When US lost my bags DFW they offered on to me but luckily I was already home and didn't need it.

I also think there is some kind of reimbursement thing but you would need to call the main Baggage office in VA.
I'd like to thank me for flying Me Airways...

ATWZW170

Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:11 am

No, last year is not happening again. Things happen, this is just one of them.. ..Sorry.
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

gigneil

Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:12 am

All I know is the baggage situation is unpleasant generically this time of year.

It took me a solid hour to retrieve my bags at DEN on Wednesday afternoon after a nonstop IAD-DEN sector.

N

AC773

Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:31 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 3):
All I know is the baggage situation is unpleasant generically this time of year.

True, but also, things happen. If you travel enough with any one airline, your bags will probably eventually be lost. I recently had my bags lost with US on PHL-DEN, but that's the first time it's ever happened to me.
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

F27XXX

Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:38 am

Quoting ATWZW170 (Reply 2):
No, last year is not happening again. Things happen, this is just one of them.. ..Sorry.

Right, "things" do happen ... BUT THIS:

Quoting Litz (Thread starter):
Calling today to find out the status, the rep had no answer, couldn't get the bag offices in either PHL or CLT on the phone, and told me she had heard of "thousands" of unsorted bags at both locations ...
She had no information on when I could possibly expect my bag, either ....

is such a "roll-of-the-eyes-get-over-yourself" type response - as was yours -and was not what your passenger should have been told.

The last couple of days havent had any major wx problems or backups - whats been the problem? Thousands of unsorted bags? "Things" of that magnitude don't just "happen".

Also- AirWisconsin wasn't even flying for US last year at this time - so how can you answer that "no, last year isn't happening again"? You werent around for it.
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

whitehatter

Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:53 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 3):

happens all over the place.

Airline traffic spikes in December and there are not the same numbers of staff around. Many airlines and handlers use seasonal staff on short contracts during their peak summer periods and can't always find the heads to work the Christmas rush as they would like.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

A330323X

Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:47 am

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/business/13470597.htm

The only problems I have heard were a small rise in PAWOBs from pax originating in PHL due to TSA delays. No problems with connecting pax. Certainly nothing on the order of thousands of bags anywhere. I think you received bad info from an outsourced baggage call center agent in SAL, unfortunately.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

ltbewr

Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:53 am

There was a news article I saw the other day that said that US was going to make sure that last year's luggage disaster didn't happen this year at Christmas/New Years. They allegedly added and reassigned staff, hightened supervision, revised procedures as repeat of last year could really wreck the US/HP merger benefits. Still though, volume, weather, demanding pax, human errors and staffing realities all can screw up things no matter how you try to prevent problems.

supa7E7

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:34 pm

US and a number of other airlines do not have computerized bag tracking. So, although there is a baggage call center, there's no way for them to know anything. It could indeed show up your airport. And it will, unless its tags were stripped off. Bag theft is actually rare these days IMO, so someone will be looking after it at the destination airport.

Don't rely on the phone number. Go to the airport and 95% of the time, your bag will be there within 1 day. Hence, your bag was probably "late" rather than "lost." Good luck.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

flyboyaz

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:50 pm

It's not isolated with one airline. We handle CO's flights in TUS and they have been a baggage cluster %$!! for over a week now....we've had bag after bag not show up...seems like IAH is having issues.
Catch a ride on a smile!

John

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:12 pm

The bags are not scanned at every handling point, like UPS or FedEx, but there IS a computerized tracking method that most airlines use, hence the bar codes you see on your bag tags.

jfrworld

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:20 pm

Quoting BigJimFX (Reply 1):
I'm surprised the BSA didn't offer you an overnight bag. Most baggage counters have them and they contain the nessesities such as a razor, soap, shampoo and what not. When US lost my bags DFW they offered on to me but luckily I was already home and didn't need it.

Not UA! I've arrived into SFO twice without my baggage and both times I had to wait overnight until the next day to get them back. In one case, I had to wait until 2pm the next day and UA never offered me an amenity kit.

c680

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:27 pm

3 hour lines for PAX departing US out of DCA yesterday. I saw a U.S. Senator curbside on her cell phone telling someone that "this is ridiculous - something has to be done about it" Oh, she missed her flight too. (Not kidding - really happened)
My happy place is FL470 - what's yours?

SHUPirate1

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:32 pm

Quoting C680 (Reply 13):
3 hour lines for PAX departing US out of DCA yesterday. I saw a U.S. Senator curbside on her cell phone telling someone that "this is ridiculous - something has to be done about it" Oh, she missed her flight too. (Not kidding - really happened)

Which concourse? US Airways does have two of them at DCA, after all...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

supa7E7

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:48 pm

Yikes, was this 3 hrs at the ticket counter?

HPRamper

Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:13 pm

Quoting C680 (Reply 13):
I saw a U.S. Senator curbside on her cell phone telling someone that "this is ridiculous - something has to be done about it" Oh, she missed her flight too.

I'd hope so. Senators are no more entitled to on-time departures than any other shmoe. Maybe if it happens enough time they'll improve DCA...I think that place needs some work.

BigJimFX

Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:15 pm

Quoting C680 (Reply 13):
3 hour lines for PAX departing US out of DCA yesterday.

Ticket counter or TSA... Come one, TSA in DCA... There, they actually think they make a difference.

Quoting Jfrworld (Reply 12):
Quoting BigJimFX (Reply 1):

Not UA

Sorry buddy. I guess it was lucky of me to work in terminal B and know all the BSA's for US, and UA. I forgot to mention that.... that does help.
I'd like to thank me for flying Me Airways...

motopolitico

Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:00 pm

It is absolutely routine here at BTV for US bags belonging to passengers whose flights connected through PHL to be one day late. For years, there was an abandoned rental car counter that housed "Little Philly". Now that car rental counter has been leased, so I don't know what they do with the bags, but the problem always seemed to be worse in winter, with lots of pax connecting from MIA, PBI, FLL, MCO, etc. You'd think that with Colodny having lived in BTV for a few years now, they'd care about delivering bags on time.
Garbage stinks; trash don't!

panaman

Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:34 pm

Well since its your bags and you are so darn important it must be a huge baggage disaster!
Sorry I moved from SXM, looking for a new house on Anguilla now!

saab2000

Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:53 pm

I feel a little bit bad. I work on the US Airways Express side of things and am sick over Christmas. Actually sick. This is not bogus, but when you get a cold over this time of year it is hard to get anyone to believe. Went to a doctor to get a note.

I hope things are going well around the system. I am sort of enjoying being sick (if that is possible) as this is my first Christmas in 10 years not working!!!
smrtrthnu

SPREE34

Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:00 am

Quoting C680 (Reply 13):

Good. Let her live like a citizen for a change.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

jdwfloyd

Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:42 am

Quoting ATWZW170 (Reply 2):

300 bags missing before the end of the 8 o'clock bank is far from things happening, it's Philly spreading holiday cheer and proving why they are a 3rd rate hub again.

[Edited 2005-12-24 17:42:32]

AJMIA

Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:52 am

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 9):
Don't rely on the phone number. Go to the airport and 95% of the time, your bag will be there within 1 day. Hence, your bag was probably "late" rather than "lost." Good luck.

This would be my advice. The people on the baggage service number are usually in a call center... They do not know if a bag is on-hand at a particular airport unless the baggage service people at the airport enter the tag number in the computer.

I lost an AA/US interline bag with my Christmas gifts a few years ago. Daily calls to Central Baggage Service provided no help/info. On my way to the family Christmas party I took a 30 minute detour to pass by the airport... and there was my bag sitting in the baggage service cage.

Two days later Central Baggage Service was still calling me telling me that they were looking for my case but had no update. I had to inform them to close the claim.

AJMIA  santahat 
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

litz

Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:53 am

Bag showed up today, 48 hours late.

No phone call, no announcement. I had the bag in hand, and when I called US to inform them of the fact, they told me they still had not located it.

Hardly what I would expect from a major, that's for sure, especially one with the disaster they had last year ... What's the point of all the bar codes and computerization if you don't use it?

At least I have my bag, finally ...

- litz

brokenrecord

Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:09 am

I consider your case an anomaly.

Every single time that I have had baggage issues on US (4 times out of over 100 flights this year), it has always been delivered to me, usually in less than a day, even the one time when I was staying over an hour away from the airport. They also almost always call before coming.

supa7E7

Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:13 am

Quoting Litz (Reply 25):
At least I have my bag, finally ...

Good news. Glad to hear you have your items.

It probably was on the next flight after yours; that is a too-common delay. Filling out a lost baggage claim results in courier delivery to your address if you prefer that...

Above all, avoid calling the baggage service number. It only leads to a waste of your time.

Obviously, the solution to this is better baggage tracking technology. Hello, airline baggage management, listen up. This thread describes a classic case that should never happen.

vega

Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:44 am

Quoting Jdwfloyd (Reply 23):
300 bags missing before the end of the 8 o'clock bank is far from things happening, it's Philly spreading holiday cheer and proving why they are a 3rd rate hub again.

Whatever it is, it's a lot better than being a no hub at all city struggling for even miniscule identity and fiscal stability. Pittsburgh is on no one's radar.
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

jsposaune

Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:09 am

Quoting Vega (Reply 28):
Whatever it is, it's a lot better than being a no hub at all city struggling for even miniscule identity and fiscal stability. Pittsburgh is on no one's radar.

Not sure how that's at all relevant to the topic at hand, but...whatever.
 scratchchin 
There are no stupid questions....only stupid people!!!

jdwfloyd

Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:05 am

Quoting Vega (Reply 28):

I'm sorry, did I even compare PIT to PHL at all in this entire thread...mmm let me go back and see. After careful revue it turns out I didn't. All I am saying is that the idea of customer service in PHL died along with the hopes of a Eagles Super Bowl. Face the facts that PHL is far from a shining jewel in the US Airways collection of hubs. I my self will not even non-rev thru the place unless there is no other choice. But I don't even know why I am bothering typing this when PHL's actions will once again speak louder than anyone's words.

SHUPirate1

Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:42 am

Quoting Jdwfloyd (Reply 30):
the idea of customer service in PHL died along with the hopes of a Eagles Super Bowl

Not sure if you forgot, but Customer Service in PHL never lived...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

F27XXX

Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:47 pm

[

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 21):
Quoting C680 (Reply 13):

Good. Let her live like a citizen for a change

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 16):
Quoting C680 (Reply 13):
I saw a U.S. Senator curbside on her cell phone telling someone that "this is ridiculous - something has to be done about it" Oh, she missed her flight too.

I'd hope so. Senators are no more entitled to on-time departures than any other shmoe. Maybe if it happens enough time they'll improve DCA...I think that place needs some work.

You hoped she missed her flight ? Assuming these were not TSA lines, but lines for US check-in (since the original post specified just US), HPRamper (i mean USRamper), then are you saying that no one flying US from DCA is entitled to an on-time departure? And who is 'they'? And why is it up to anyone other than your employer to improve their passenger handling facilities there so that they can handle the amount of passenger business they're committing themselves to.

If these were passenger check-in and handling delays and not security, then the airline is to blame here.
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

ca2ohHP

Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:41 pm

Doesn't WN ever mishandle a bag? This website bashes HP/US more than any other airline, its so old.

F27XXX

Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:57 pm

Quoting Ca2ohHP (Reply 32):
This website bashes HP/US more than any other airline, its so old.

Well, US does make it easy - they provide us with so much material!
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

gigneil

Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:58 pm

US needs to take additional action at DCA, but I'm not sure what more can be done.

They've widened the security lanes as much as possible to accomodate as many machines for simultaneous security checks as they can without physically modifying the concourse (this is the far down C concourse).

What I think would be helpful is to:

1) Increase utilization of their middle-C concourse gates as much as possible, possibly even acquiring more gates or sharing with * partners United and Air Canada where feasible.
2) Add a bridge to connect far-C with middle-C behind security so that pax arriving at the middle concourse don't have to stand in line and potentially misconnect.
3) Consider adding another bank, or even going to a rolling schedule.

The problem at DCA is not just the TSA, in fact my best TSA experiences are almost always at DCA... the problem is that DCA is hugely successful for US and their concourse just is not sufficient.

N

Molykote

Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:02 pm

Remember the chaos last year with US and baggage?

Is it happening again?

I don't think we can compare one lost bag to last year's meltdown.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

F27XXX

Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:15 pm

Quoting Molykote (Reply 35):
I don't think we can compare one lost bag to last year's meltdown.

I think you missed reading this:

I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

Molykote

Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:52 pm

Quoting F27XXX (Reply 36):
I think you missed reading this:

You're right! The odd thing is that I did read it but forgot about it by the end of the thread!

Thanks.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

A330323X

Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:02 pm

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 34):
2) Add a bridge to connect far-C with middle-C behind security so that pax arriving at the middle concourse don't have to stand in line and potentially misconnect.

They run an airside shuttle bus between the two piers for connecting pax. And I've also seen them take pax from the longer security line and send them to the shorter line, then to take the bus.

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 34):
3) Consider adding another bank, or even going to a rolling schedule.

The slots are all timed, US can't change when it runs its flights.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.