Senator Evan Bayh Pushes For $42 Million For GYY

Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:36 am

Courtesy: The Times

Senator Evan Bayh Pushes for GYY Airport Funds

http://www.airportbusiness.com/artic.../article.jsp?siteSection=4&id=4748

2travel2know

RE: Senator Evan Bayh Pushes For $42 Million For GYY

Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:35 am

With easy trasportation to/from Chicago (Loop), GYY could attract more airtraffic, but IMHO it's more likely GYY will become something like SWF, HPN and ISP in the NYC metro area and not another MDW.
Anyhow, It's a good measure to insure some cash for GYY improvements.
Better be GYY called "The Chicago 3rd Airport" than MKE or RFD.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

N328KF

Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:37 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 1):
Better be GYY called "The Chicago 3rd Airport" than MKE or RFD.

If you go by how the U.S. census bureau defines the Chicago metropolitan area, then ORD, MDW, MKE, RFD, and GYY are all within the confines of that area.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

HPRamper

Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:20 pm

That's strange...then does Milwaukee just not count? When I was in the area I got the impression that the line between was just south of Kenosha....everything to the north was considered Milwaukee metro, to the south was Chicago.

ckfred

Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:33 pm

As much as I support the expansion of ORD, there will come a point in time when both ORD and MDW are maxed out in terms of capacity.

Rather than spend possible billions for Peotone, which has no rail service and is a difficult drive from the western suburbs, I would put money into GYY.

There is a commuter rail line from the Chicago Loop that stops close to the airport. Road access is fairly good. And there is some room for expansion, including runways.

Even though MKE is used by a lot of people who live in the northern suburbs, it just isn't practical for a third airport for people who live or work in Chicago, as well as the western and southern suburbs. GYY is a much better alternative.