BBJII
Topic Author

Sky Team To Australiasia

Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:16 am

Are Korean Air the only Skyteam carrier to Serve Australia/New Zealand.

wave 
Remember: The Bird Hit You, You Didn't Hit The Bird.....

FlySSC

RE: Sky Team To Australiasia

Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:24 am

I think so ... is any other Skyteam Member serving Australia/New Zealand ?

AF = No
KL = No
AZ = No
OK = No
AM = No
DL = No
NW = ?
CO = ?

Carfield

Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:28 am

Continental Micronesian flies to Cairns, Australia from Guam.

Future Skyteam member, China Airlines, also flies to Brisbane and Sydney from Taipei.

Other than that, Skyteam is pretty weak in the "down under" routes.

Carfield

FlySSC

Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:45 am

Quoting Carfield (Reply 2):
Future Skyteam member, China Airlines,

China Airlines, future Skyteam member ? since when ?

China Southern (from the P.R.of China). Not China Airlines.

I guess MH, a Future Skyteam member, flies to Australia ....

B4REAL

Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:47 am

CO does go to Cairns, and KE goes to SYD and AKL.

Skyteam is weak in this region. It would be nice to have the alliance improve in this region.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

Xkorpyoh

Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:23 am

Quoting B4real (Reply 4):

Skyteam is weak in this region. It would be nice to have the alliance improve in this region.

yes,,we need CO or NW to re-start the Australia flights.

also, skyteam asks for too many miles to reedm for australia. I think is 90K instead of 75K on oneworld, for example.

ZK-NBT

Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:14 am

Yeah they are deffinatly pretty weak down this way. Getting from the US to OZ/NZ would be an absolute pain for people who want to do it, so I doubt many would do it at all.

It would definatly be great if NW or CO restarted flights down under non stop from the US.

Quoting B4real (Reply 4):

KE also goes to BNE and NAN plus CHC in the Northern winter. Those are only 2-3 times weekly though whereas AKL and SYD are daily for most of the year, AKL reduces to 5-6 weekly from April June some years depending on foward bookings. And also usually uses a 772, whereas they use a 744 to AKL in the NZ summer. SYD was a 744 then a 772 now in the Southern summer its only a 333.

LGAtoIND

Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:20 am

Why dosen't AF fly to SYD from CDG or KL from AMS? With the alliance lacking good Australia service, It seems like one or both of these routes would make sense.

Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:25 am

Quoting BBJII (Thread starter):

KE and CO Mic.

Quoting Carfield (Reply 2):
Future Skyteam member, China Airlines, also flies to Brisbane and Sydney from Taipei.

China Airlines is not a future member of SkyTeam. China Southern and Aeroflot are the only future members of SkyTeam.

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 3):
I guess MH, a Future Skyteam member, flies to Australia ....

Malaysia is not a future member of SkyTeam. China Southern and Aeroflot are the only future members of SkyTeam.

B

MAS777

Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:37 am

Quoting LGAtoIND (Reply 7):
KL from AMS

KLM and Malaysia Airlines have been cooperating on flights from KUL to PER, ADL, SYD, MEL, BNE and AKL for a few years now with good success.

MAS however remains NOT a member of Skyteam and looks like AF would like to keep it that way despite KL's proposal for an invitation for MH to join.

atnight

Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:50 pm

Isn't Tahiti part of the south pacific? AF flies there 5 times a week if I'm not mistaken.. of course, that's their only destination, and they fly from LAX...

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 6):
Yeah they are deffinatly pretty weak down this way. Getting from the US to OZ/NZ would be an absolute pain for people who want to do it, so I doubt many would do it at all.

I'm planning to go with KE to SYD this summer, It is kinda of a pain, but since is part of my FF RTW trip with my wife, I won't mind the stop in ICN.. I have a great itinerary, with only the trip to SYD being the longest (pain) trip... Anyways, if I had to buy the ticket, it certainly wouldn't be worth the extra money to fly with skyteam when you can fly Qantas or United direct from the US or take LAN via SCL if you fly from south america...
I wish skyteam would improve their network in the south pacific... But of course, there isn't a known carrier that is available, as the main 3 that fly down there directly are part of oneword and star (UA, QF, NZ).... so skyteam either starts their own operations or forget about it..
B707 B727 B733/5/7/8/9 B742/4 B752/3 B763/4 B772 A310 A318/319/320 A332 A343 MD80 DC9/10 CRJ200 ERJ145 ERJ-170 Be1900 Da

flyinghighboy

Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:40 pm

AF codeshares with QF on flights to Australia, saw it on the Melb Airport website on a QF flight. Doesn't QF codeshare on flights to CDG on AF from SIN?

Gemuser

Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:19 pm

Why dosen't AF fly to SYD from CDG or KL from AMS? With the alliance lacking good Australia service, It seems like one or both of these routes would make sense.

AF & predecessor UTA flew to Australia for many years but services was stopped in the 1990s.

KLM flew to Australia since 1934! In fact they were the first non Australian airline to fly services into Australia. They gave up the fight in the late 90s, too much compertation from the Asian carriers.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

planemanofnz

Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:36 pm

I think Skyteam should get TN - to improve services to america/europe and some services to Japan and also SB - to have an easier routing to europe with SB from SYD/AKL/BNE to NRT/KIX and from there on AF to CDG. I think there is potential for CO and NW to serve the south pacific. Maybe CO to places like AKL and say a south pacific island destination because it's largest aircraft are only 777's. And have NW fly the routes to Australia with the 747's. Obviously it will be more likely for these airlines to serve the south pacific once 787 aircraft arrive.
At the moment KE is not a very good airline to fly onward to europe with. It's schedules from AKL/SYD/NAN and BNE do not work well at all with flights to places like CDG and LHR.

FlySSC

Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:30 pm

Why doesn't AF fly to SYD from CDG or KL from AMS? With the alliance lacking good Australia service, It seems like one or both of these routes would make sense.

Flights between CDG and Australia have never been profitable for all the airlines that operated the route in the past : UT, AF, AOM, QF etc ...

On the other hand, the Code share agreement signed between AF & QF on the route CDG-SIN (AF) - Australia (QF) is VERY successful for both airlines.
Schedules are coordinated for a short quick transfer at SIN (QF & AF aircraft are parked side by side.
From SIN, AF offers seats on QF flights to SYD, BNE, MEL, PER, ADL.
The agreement should be extended to CAIRNS, and "Flying Blue" Passengers should be able soon to use their miles on QF's domestic network.
AF load factor on CDG-SIN-CDG (B773ER) has increased by 3 points this year, thanks to this agreement, and an average of 100 PAX on each flights have a connection to/from Australia.
AF could introduce a second flight on certain days and plans now to use the A380 on that route in 2009/2010.

Quoting Mas777 (Reply 9):
MAS however remains NOT a member of Skyteam and looks like AF would like to keep it that way despite KL's proposal for an invitation for MH to join.

MH, for the moment is on the "waiting list".
AF would prefere another bigger and more "powerful" Asian carier, but the doors of Skyteam are not closed for MH.

cedars747

Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:50 pm

I`d like to see ME in skyteam ,operating an BEY-SYD !
Alex!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

DeltaWings

Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:48 pm

I heard some rumor that CX wouldn't mind leaving OneWorld and joining SkyTeam? Could this be true?
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

bullpitt

Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:06 am

Quote:
I heard some rumor that CX wouldn't mind leaving OneWorld and joining SkyTeam? Could this be true?

This sounds like your typical  old  stupid statement, but just in case can you tell us where you heard this rumor?

I think OW is a very well balanced alliance and with the new companies that will be joining shortly I think the whole world is very well covered. I also think all it's members seem to be very happy with the alliance.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

DeltaWings

Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:13 am

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 17):
This sounds like your typical stupid statement

My typical stupid statement?????? Sorry If I offend you so much.  spit 
I read it in an aviation magazine
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

bullpitt

Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:21 am

Sorry bad choice of word or translation from my native Spanish. I intended the use of "your" not personally to you. I intended to say "your" in a general way.

In other words this statement seems to crop up every now and then.

Please accept my apologies if you felt I was referring to you particularly. That was not my intention.  sorry 
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

atnight

Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:57 am

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 17):
I think OW is a very well balanced alliance and with the new companies that will be joining shortly I think the whole world is very well covered. I also think all it's members seem to be very happy with the alliance.

Well, in terms of what Oneworld offers to their passengers, I think is the worst alliance of all, because the way their FF programs work is the least competitive from the other two main alliances..... for example, if you have LAN's LANPASS, you only get full milage credit with AA, with the rest of parterns in the alliance, BA, IB, CX, etc, you only get up to 40% of the milage, plus nothing of that counts to elite status, and the same rules apply to every single FF program of the airlines of their alliance.... so you're stuck to having to fly with the airline you have the program with and perhaps another, but that certainly limits your options of getting or keeping elite status if you are a world traveler and need to use more than one or two airlines.... This is not the case with the other alliances, skyteam being the most generous in the way they FF programs work together in the alliance.... I certainly wouldn't mind seeing CX changing to Skyteam, it would give a great boost to that alliance in asia with more flights to the south pacific...
just my  twocents 
B707 B727 B733/5/7/8/9 B742/4 B752/3 B763/4 B772 A310 A318/319/320 A332 A343 MD80 DC9/10 CRJ200 ERJ145 ERJ-170 Be1900 Da

FlySSC

Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:21 am

Quoting DeltaWings (Reply 16):

TG is more likely to leave the Star Alliance for Skyteam, that's why AF wants to wait before eventually getting MH into Skyteam.

TG & SQ are two big regional competitors. Having in the same Alliance is a nonsense, it's like having AF & BA or AF & LH would be in the same Alliance in Europe.

Aisak

Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:01 am

Quoting Atnight (Reply 20):

You couldn't be more wrong....

You can.. if you fly full-fare (logical)... like many other airlines out there

You say all FF in OW work that way... Iberia Plus doesn't work with miles or kms but with points. And those points are the ones that determine if you go to the new oneworld tier level.
-You get points with ALL IB CODED FLIGHTS even if it's not operated by a OW airline (Iberia chart)
-You get points with any other OW coded flights if the flight is operated by a OW airline (Oneworld chart)
-You get points with Swiss (to end in Jan'06), Mexicana and SN Brussels coded flights and I suppose it has to be operated by themselves, OW or IB (same chart as oneworld)
-Also you get points with Binter Canarias in Canarian Flights

These charts shows you the amount of points you'll be credited for any Origin/Destination flying on First, Business, Full-fare Coach and Discounted-fare Coach
All these points are called Puntos Aéreos Básicos (Basic air points) and if you reach a certain amount you'll pass to OW Sapphire, Emerald...

Also take a look at Flying Blue where you're not credited 100% of miles if you fly discounted, or Singapore where you get NO POINTS if a discounted-fare coach leg in involved thru your journey

Go ahead and say again the FF policy among OW airlines is the worst

[Edited 2005-12-25 19:16:44]

EddieDude

Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:31 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 14):
AF would prefere another bigger and more "powerful" Asian carier, but the doors of Skyteam are not closed for MH

I really believe that MH would make of SkyTeam a much better alliance because they would add a much better (and needed) coverage of Southeast Asia and Australia. I don't know exactly which Asian carrier AF would like to bring on board, but I hope MH will join the group soon.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

atnight

Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:10 am

Quoting Aisak (Reply 22):
Go ahead and say again the FF policy among OW airlines is the worst

Thank you, I will say it again, OW is the worst between the three for the avarage passenger.... Look dude, chill, you are right that if you pay full fare, you will get 100%, but the GREAT majority of people DON'T pay full fare...

Quoting Aisak (Reply 22):
You can.. if you fly full-fare (logical)... like many other airlines out there

You are wrong, the rest have restrictions, but NOT LIKE OW, for it has the most restrictions on fares types than the rest.... if you look at IB, BA and QF fares types that are considered restricted, they pretty much cover all but FULL fare, otherwise you only get 70% with QF, 30% with IB, and 25% with BA.... (in Lan's case)... But in Skyteam and Star's case, the restricted fares are a LOT less than OW, so OF COURSE OW is the worst of the three in that area..... and just so you know, I'm a Sapphire member on OW, so don't try to tell me that I don't know anything OK? I also have Contiental and United, and they offer better FF benefits than OW when using other airlines than their owns... You probably are limited and bias to Iberia, since you're in spain, but as I mentioned before, for the majority of people, OW offers the WORST FF to keep or maintain status if they fly in more than 2 airlines worldwide...

Just so you know, who in their right mind, would fly IB UIO-MAD paying full fare, over $2500 when you can fly with LAN for $850 and get full milage credit? You get the point? Also, flying from the US to Europe, why would anyone pay over $2000 to fly BA full price fares when with AA you can fly for almost a quarter of the price if flying economy (where MOST people fly).... so my comments are QUITE valid... if you just fly business, then it makes no difference.... but not everyone flies business ok? so take your aggresive comments and compare everything well before giving me a lecture....

I dare you to reply to me showing me a chart, comparing the benefits of getting miles (and those that count to elite) between Contiental, United and Iberia's.... and then tell me which of the three offers the least competitive benefits of the alliances and the ones that have more fare types restrictions....

Aisak

Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:50 am

Really, i didn't mean to offend you in such way....

You said

Quoting Atnight (Reply 20):
for example, if you have LAN's LANPASS, you only get full milage credit with AA, with the rest of parterns in the alliance, BA, IB, CX, etc, you only get up to 40% of the milage, plus nothing of that counts to elite status, and the same rules apply to every single FF program of the airlines of their alliance....

and i replied it's not that "same" for Iberia, member of Oneworld (because it's the one i know well)

If you are AAdvantage member and fly finnair you get miles-elite points on
C, D, I, J 125%-1.50/mile
B, Y 100%-1.50/mile
A, H, K, M, V 100%-1.00/mile
G, L, N, S, Q, O, T, W 100%-0.50/mile

Similar chart for LAN, Qantas, Iberia....

If you pay reduced-fare looks logical to me to have reduced earnings....

If you want we can go on looking for the perfect FFP, all of them can be so tricky (send me a mail or IM through my profile and i'll give you my Messenger address) but just look at Delta Skyteam member (you have said OW airlines have more fare restrictions..)

1AeroMexico:
No mileage credit for fares booked in G, I, O, P, C, E, F, U, or Z class.
2Air France:
No mileage credit for fares booked in A, O, G, or X class.
5Alitalia:
No mileage credit for fares booked in E, F, G, P, R, S, U, or Z class.
10Czech Airlines:
No mileage credit for fares booked in A, E, F, G, J, K, O, P, R, S, U, W, X, or Z class.
14Korean Air:
No mileage credit for fares booked in B, G, N, Q, A, D, U, R, X, or V class.

That's quite restrictive, don't know if the most. It's not less miles or less elite points.. it's nothing

Again, sorry if you though it was something personal against you. Not at all

[Edited 2005-12-25 21:05:39]

Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:57 am

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 13):
I think Skyteam should get TN

Air Tahiti Nui at one time was very close to joining ST. Plans fell thru and they are no longer on the radar.

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 15):
I`d like to see ME in skyteam ,operating an BEY-SYD

I'd like to see Royal Brunei in ST operating from St. Maarten to my front door!

Quoting DeltaWings (Reply 16):

No, it is not. The magazine you read was incorrect.

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 21):
TG is more likely to leave the Star Alliance for Skyteam, that's why AF wants to wait before eventually getting MH into Skyteam.

Neither airline will be joining ST in the forseeable future.

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 14):

No they are not. There is no such thing.

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 23):
I really believe that MH would make of SkyTeam a much better alliance because they would add a much better (and needed) coverage of Southeast Asia and Australia. I don't know exactly which Asian carrier AF would like to bring on board, but I hope MH will join the group soon.

MH at most is a attractive to ST, but there is nothing in the works. Regardless of how some of you already have them in the alliance, there are simply not on the radar at this time.

B

MAS777

Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:32 am

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 26):
MH at most is a attractive to ST, but there is nothing in the works. Regardless of how some of you already have them in the alliance, there are simply not on the radar at this time.

I agree completely.

MAS 'should' have been a front-runner of Skyteam, as prior to the AF-KL debacle, MAS had (and still does have) very close ties with KLM. Over across the Pacific - MAS had planned to cooperate with NWA via NRT and NGO (not KIX though) on routes across North America. This however failed to materialise as part of the fallout from 9/11.

Since then, Korean Air and MAS have also stepped up their joint operations with DL also placing their codes on KE services to KUL - using ICN as a stopover point for traffic across the Pacific - so its easy to see how MAS would fit in nicely into Skyteam.

MAS however remains a NON-member and there are no plans to invite MAS to join Skyteam. MAS itself is currently in yet another Boardroom tussle for the n'th time in recent years and changes within their Boardroom has also led to MAS taking less of an interest in joining any alliance as it struggles to maintain its network both domestically and internationally - especially with SQ being its nearest and dearest competitor.

cedars747

Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:42 am

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 26):
I'd like to see Royal Brunei in ST operating from St. Maarten to my front door!

ME is a future candidate in skyteam and SYD was an ME destination !But your door has never been a destination in Royal Brunei route map"stop dreaming!!!"
Alex!

[Edited 2005-12-25 22:46:40]
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

planemanofnz

Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:20 am

Quoting BBJII (Thread starter):

No, CO flies to Australia *well COmicronseia* However if you are including the south pacific, as said above, AF fly to Papeete from Los Angeles.

Quoting Flyinghighboy (Reply 11):
AF codeshares with QF on flights to Australia, saw it on the Melb Airport website on a QF flight. Doesn't QF codeshare on flights to CDG on AF from SIN?

Yes they do. I think KL should also codeshare with QF to give the AF/KL alliance great coverage for NZ/Australia visiting europe.

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 23):
I don't know exactly which Asian carrier AF would like to bring on board, but I hope MH will join the group soon.

Although SB is not an asian carrier it is an australasian carrier and having it in Skyteam would not be a bad idea. After all they already co-operate their aircrafts with AF........

(look under the pilot's window on the nose and you'll see "en partenariat avec Air France."
You are probably better viewing the large version of the photo at http://www.airliners.net/open.file/311384/L/

[Edited 2005-12-26 00:24:04]

Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:28 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 28):
ME is a future candidate in skyteam

There are no plans for ME to join ST. Some of you have been saying that for years. I have been saying they aren't for years. Who's been right?

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 29):
Although SB is not an asian carrier it is an australasian carrier and having it in Skyteam would not be a bad idea. After all they already co-operate their aircrafts with AF........

There's no chance of that happening either.

There's a big difference between airlines you want to join ST, and airlines that have a logical chance of actually joining. I'd LOVE to see Virgin join, but I dont post it because it won't happen.

B

planemanofnz

Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:44 am

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 30):
There's a big difference between airlines you want to join ST, and airlines that have a logical chance of actually joining

I never said that it had a logical chance of getting into Skyteam, because I know it doesn't as it is probably too small. I just said that it wouldn't be a bad idea because it would boost ST prescnece in Australaisa if it did join.........

cedars747

Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:47 am

Some of you have been saying that for years

I am shore that ME will surprise you soon!!!Until then"hasta la vista baby"

Alex!

FlySSC

Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:35 pm

Air Calin & Air Tahiti Nui are nothing else than "Air France bis"
They were created only for Franco-French political reasons, to buy the "social peace" in those French overseas territories and to calm down the local "organizations for independence".

There are no plans for ME to join ST

There, again, you are wrong.
It was publicly mentioned by J.C Spinetta and published several time in AF internal newspapers.

wingedarrow

Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:17 pm

Even Alitalia in the golden times used to fly to Australia... If I'm not wrong, flight AZ798 served SYD and MEL via BKK, at first from FCO, then from MXP. Somebody said if Alitalia somehow recovers its losses there could be a fleet and network expansion in the next future, so it could be nice to have back services for the earth down under. Not only on its own, maybe, but at least on a code-share, direct flight from Rome with a possible partner airline (CX, TG, MH???). The last airline having scheduled services to Australia from FCO was Qantas that dropped the station in October 2003 for yet-to-explain reasons. Now they code-share with Cathay Pacific via HKG...
אליטליה

LCH

Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:20 pm

Personally, I have always thougt of OW as a much better balanced alliance than *A or ST. Although it only has 8 member carriers (plus Malev, JAL and Royal Jordanian invited to join), they cover a large part of the globe, and more important, the route networks compliment eachother rather than overlapping. *A may have better coverage, but it has become so large that I actually question how long it will survive in it's present form. There seems to be too much differences and competition between the member carriers.
As for SkyTeam, they have extremely good coverage of "the west", but areas like Australasia and South America are hardly covered at all.

2travel2know

Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:43 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 29):
No, CO flies to Australia *well COmicronseia* However if you are including the south pacific, as said above, AF fly to Papeete from Los Angeles.

Doesn't AF serve NOU from Paris?
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

FlySSC

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:42 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 36):
Doesn't AF serve NOU from Paris?

Not anymore.
AF traffic rights were transfered to Air Calin when it was created.
AF is flying to/from NRT, and SB flies the next leg NRT-NOU, codeshare with AF.

The Creation of an "independant airline" in New Caledonia was part of the agreement called "Accord de Matignon" signed in 1988 between the "Indepedantists" and the French Gov. to end a period of troubles on the French Island in the 80s.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:03 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 32):
I am shore that ME will surprise you soon!!!Until then"hasta la vista baby"

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 33):
There, again, you are wrong.
It was publicly mentioned by J.C Spinetta and published several time in AF internal newspapers.

Again, people have been saying that for years on here, and it hasn't happened.

There are no plans to have MEA in SkyTeam any time in the forseeable future.

B

jouy31

Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:27 am

Quoting Aisak (Reply 25):
Air France:
No mileage credit for fares booked in A, O, G, or X class.

Well, A, O and X classes are for award tickets, so it comes as no surprise that you would not earn miles  Wink. G class (as well as U class) now earns 50% mileage, instead of nil with former Fréquence Plus.

The fare classes to be avoided are :
- on long-haul flights : L class, earns only 25% mileage
- on medium-haul flights : N class, earns only 25% mileage
- on short-haul flights : N class, earns no mileage

FlySSC

Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:33 am

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 38):
There are no plans to have MEA in SkyTeam any time in the forseeable future.

- MEA decided not to re-open a Beirut-Sao Paulo line, according to MEA Chairman Mohammed El-Hout.
"The Profitability of this liaison not proven to be satisfactory", he added in a News conference at the Press Club downtown Beirut...
... / ...
He furthermore added that, thanks to its arrangement with Air France, MEA will soon join to Skyteam, the Global Airline alliance partening Aeromexico, Air France, Alitalia ....

related by http://www.lebanonwire.com

- MEA to expand service and join Skyteam

MEA Chairman Mohamad El-Hout revealed that the company will join Skyteam, as a result of its alliance with AIr France, opening up new prospect for the National Airline.
The time requires big alliances. Lufthansa, with a fleet of 256 aircraft has pointed the necessity of boardening its alliances in order to remain viable. What then would the case be for MEA with 9 planes" he rationed.

Mr. El-Hout said that he was surprised by the trend in the Arab market of a proliferation of airlines companies, while worldwide the times are prompting airlines companies to join together for greater consolidation.

etc ... etc ...

from MEA's inflight CedarWing magazine.

BigSky123

Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:30 am

Hello to all A.netters! This is my first post on the forum.

A reminder to all of Flying Blue-Sky team FF members: flying KE "down under" only earns miles in top 3 most expensive economy classes:

applies to booking classes S, W, Y, Z (Eco), C, J(Business), and F & P (First).

flying to Australia from Europe, I always choose *A (Miles & More), because i always get my full miles credited in comparison to cheats like "only 25%" or "no mileage earned"...on Skyteam and/or Oneworld

Regards!

Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:42 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 40):
MEA Chairman Mohamad El-Hout revealed that the company will join Skyteam, as a result of its alliance with AIr France, opening up new prospect for the National Airline.
The time requires big alliances. Lufthansa, with a fleet of 256 aircraft has pointed the necessity of boardening its alliances in order to remain viable. What then would the case be for MEA with 9 planes" he rationed.

Mr. El-Hout said that he was surprised by the trend in the Arab market of a proliferation of airlines companies, while worldwide the times are prompting airlines companies to join together for greater consolidation.

Uh huh. Has an invitation been extended? No? Exactly.

They aren't joining SkyTeam in the foreseeable future.

B

CPH757

Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:46 am

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 8):
China Airlines is not a future member of SkyTeam. China Southern and Aeroflot are the only future members of SkyTeam.

Is it official that China Southern will (finally) join, and if so, are the joining date scheduled already?
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

jouy31

Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:55 am

Quoting Bigsky123 (Reply 41):
flying to Australia from Europe, I always choose *A (Miles & More), because i always get my full miles credited

Unless I am mistaken, there are some fare classes on LH (S, W) and TG (S, V, W) which earn only 50% mileage on M&M, and several which are excluded from M&M mileage accrual on SQ.

BigSky123

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:01 am

Unless I am mistaken, there are some fare classes on LH (S, W) and TG (S, V, W) which earn only 50% mileage on M&M, and several which are excluded from M&M mileage accrual on SQ.

Jouy31,
you are right about exceptions on SQ. I have not yet been offered to book in a special, S or W class on OS, LH or TG, when looking for options to AUS.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:19 am

Quoting CPH757 (Reply 43):
Is it official that China Southern will (finally) join, and if so, are the joining date scheduled already?

Both them and SU are official. Last I heard, they should be in by fall 2006. There will not be any new members before that, exception being SkyTeam associate.

B

Aisak

Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:05 pm

As of airlines entering alliances...

Oneworld
Malev, Royal Air Jordanian and JAL are in the path of joining as members

When? When they're ready

SkyTeam
Aeroflot and China Southern are in the path of joining as members
Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Copa and Tarom are in the path of joining as associate members

When? When they're ready

Star Alliance
Swiss is in the path of joining as member due to the merger with Lufthansa
America West is in the path of joining as member due to the merger with US Airways

When? When they're ready

And "ready" may be tomorrow, next month, next year or maybe later... They need to do a lot of things... FF agrements with each other, end codeshares, start codeshares, study economical figures, security records, aircraft manteniance, interconnect booking systems, negociate endorsments, handling at airports, alliance products (i.e. RTW, visit passes...)....

Can't be done overnight and some of them might not meet the requirements or might not want to....

globetrekker

Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:33 pm

MEA & SkyTeam:

That AF wants MEA to join SkyTeam is nothing new... that's common knowledge. The problem has to do a lot with ME internally; the directors of MEA have differing opinions on the matter.
Some people in MEA's Management don't want the company to join Skyteam because they think MEA cannot keep up with the commitments Skyteam may have for them, while others believe MEA can. The issue regarding Skyteam is currently being debated by the directors. But if it was up to AF, MEA will be in, but that is not the way things work.

Globe Trekker
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

L410Turbolet

Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:04 pm

Quoting Bigsky123 (Reply 41):
flying to Australia from Europe, I always choose *A (Miles & More), because i always get my full miles credited in comparison to cheats like "only 25%" or "no mileage earned"...on Skyteam and/or Oneworld

I think you should look up the rules for M&M first. "i always get my full miles" is simply not true. Asiana, ANA, Air NZ, not to mention SQ have all 50% restriction on certain discounted booking classes in economy.
CSA's OK Plus used to be that simple - offering at least 100% miles regardless of booking class/airline you take. Then they put 70% on discounted economy with KE and then the hell broke loose and its all complicated now. Besides SkyTeam's coverage of Australia/SE Asia really does suck and I hope MH, TG or anyone will join soon.