PassBureauMgr
Topic Author

Will Virgin America Ever Fly?

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:43 am

Will V-A ever really fly?

markabcan

RE: Will Virgin America Ever Fly?

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:47 am

Yes, I think they will fly. I don't know if it will be positive for the US airline industry as a whole though.

Newark777

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:51 am

I think the question now is how long, not if they they will.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

PassBureauMgr
Topic Author

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:56 am

OK, so whats going on with them. Weren't they supposed to be flying by now. Isn't that what they said in the summer of 2004 when they announced it would be forming?

wedgetail737

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:59 am

I had heard from earlier posts that V-A is supposed to start flying mid-2006. They just received their financing and just applied for their necessary certificates.

I think we can see Virgin America flying to all three Bay Area airports within a year or two after inaugural flights. V-A could give B6 a run for their money.

B742

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:09 am

I hope so  Smile

There first A320 was spotted in TLS, but without full Virgin America colours  Smile

Maybe their waiting for the launch to reveal the colours  Smile

There is a post here, started by me:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/2499801

Rob!  wave 

SunValley

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:13 am

So nice of you to ask. Yes, Virgin America should be carrying passengers about June 06. I start working for them officially on Jan 5th.

Virgin America has made all neccessary applications for certification to be a regular scheduled US Airline. The prosecution of the application has begun, with officials being interview by the DOT on or about January 18th.

stirling

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:34 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 2):
I think the question now is how long, not if they they will.

And in your professional opinion, why do you think so?
Delete this User

EA CO AS

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:55 am

Quoting SunValley (Reply 6):
I start working for them officially on Jan 5th.

Congratulations on the new job! What will you be doing - and do you have any airline experience prior to them?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

S12PPL

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:59 am

They've secured financing. They have A320's on the way. They've hired plenty of people.

Yes....I think it's safe to say they will fly. What's wrong with taking your time starting up?
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

Newark777

Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:03 am

Quoting Stirling (Reply 7):

And in your professional opinion, why do you think so?

Because, especially with Virgin's backing, they seem to have enough resources to get up into the air, and their first plane is already taxiing around in France, but only time will tell whether they can make it in the US market.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

IAH744

Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:05 am

what airports, other than sfo, will they fly to?
Deliver Everyones Luggage To Atlanta

SunValley

Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:18 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 8):
Congratulations on the new job! What will you be doing - and do you have any airline experience prior to them?

I am starting as a Market Planner for Virgin America. I have a degree in Business Admin-Traffic & Transportation, and In International Studies, as well as completing a number of IATA courses in Market Planning.
I have worked for Delta and Alaska Airlines in the Revenue Management Departments.

PassBureauMgr
Topic Author

Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:40 am

OK SunValley,
When are they supposed to take to the skies?
What cities will V-A serve at first?
Will V-A have first class or business class?
Will they have IFE?
What all can you tell us?

EA CO AS

Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:41 am

Quoting SunValley (Reply 12):
completing a number of IATA courses in Market Planning

Where or how did you take advantage of that? I've often wondered how it's done.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

flyorski

Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:46 am

Quoting SunValley (Reply 12):
I have a degree in Business Admin-Traffic & Transportation, and In International Studies, as well as completing a number of IATA courses in Market Planning.

Where did you complete this? I am very curious about how to start, and where to do it.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

SunValley

Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:57 am

Quoting Flyorski (Reply 15):
Where did you complete this? I am very curious about how to start, and where to do it.

I completed my degree work at Arizona State University, for both the Business Admin & International Studies. There are a nubmer of universities around the world who offer the Traffic & Transportation Specialization. As to the IATA classes, that is a lifetime endeavor, as they continually add more to their roster each year. I started them while working for Alaska Airlines, and after having left AS, I continued with them on my own (they are very pricey). They are probably some of the best training and informational classes around. You can access their offerings by going to iata.org

EA CO AS

Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:01 am

Quoting SunValley (Reply 16):
I started them while working for Alaska Airlines, and after having left AS, I continued with them on my own (they are very pricey).

Just out of curiosity, what made you leave AS? Was working for Don and Maryanne that bad?  Wink

SunValley

Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:02 am

Quoting PassBureauMgr (Reply 13):
OK SunValley,
When are they supposed to take to the skies?
What cities will V-A serve at first?
Will V-A have first class or business class?
Will they have IFE?
What all can you tell us?

While I would love to be able to tell you all this, there is much of it at this time that is proprietary information.

I can tell you the product offerings will be like no other in the domestic skies today. The innovative new approach that is being devloped will be unique and I'm sure will be well received in todays marketplace.

SunValley

Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:10 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 17):
Just out of curiosity, what made you leave AS? Was working for Don and Maryanne that bad?

Leaving Alaska Airlines was my choice. NO they & their people are not hard to work for and they are a delightful group of people to be around. I left Alaska to be able to devote more time to furthering my education so as to be considered for a position as I have now at Virgin.
I cannot tell you much more than that, as with any company there are non-disclosure agreements in place.
My feeling about Alaska Airlines is that it will always be a "boutique airline" unless another company acquires them (which seems very doubtful)

PHXinterrupted

Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:23 am

Quoting SunValley (Reply 6):
So nice of you to ask. Yes, Virgin America should be carrying passengers about June 06. I start working for them officially on Jan 5th.

Wow, that's pretty presumptuous considering DOT just recently received their application.
Keepin' it real.

AA717driver

Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:51 am

PHX--The application process is not a "gee I hope this works" type of thing. You hire people who make sure you have the "t's" crossed and "i's" dotted prior to submitting the application.

The FAA works with you on the submission, too.

This is big-time stuff--not Joe Schmoe's Single-engine 135 charter outfit. They have a plan.TC
FL450, M.85

BOS2LAF

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:13 pm

Hey sunvalley, put in the good word for me, I'll be looking for a job next december. Big grin  crossfingers 

Wow, I have no shame.  footinmouth 

airbrasil

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:23 pm

SunValley,

Please contact me! I need your feedback on IATA!

Airbrasil

Tom12

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:25 pm

Will Virgin America be a low cost carrier?? I think it will defnetly fly, just not sure when
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

airbrasil

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:28 pm

Hello my friends,

I just want to say taht I got hired with Alaska Airlines. Left Frontier after 4 years working in several stations such as LAX, PDX, PHX, CUN and SJC. So far I have lots of positive things to say about AS, very different that F9!

See ya,

Airbrasil

KabAir

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:29 pm

SunValley,

Congrats on the job!! Hopefully they've hired a bunch of people like yourself and if so I'm sure they'll be very successful! Can't wait to give them a try. Please keep us posted as you're able/allowed to give us all more info!

KabAir
wow, there sure are a lot of expert economists on this forum....

SunValley

Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:31 pm

Quoting KabAir (Reply 26):
Please keep us posted as you're able/allowed to give us all more info!

Will be glad to as I can.

SunValley

Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:57 pm

Quoting PHXinterrupted (Reply 20):
Wow, that's pretty presumptuous considering DOT just recently received their application.

PHX, The work to make applicaiton for the certificate has actually been ongoing for aproximately 20 months. In that time, a number of things have happened. #1. Investors who believe in the Virgin America plan had to be secured, & by the way Virgin America is now the carrier making application with the highest amount of Available Cash ever in the history of US Air Transporation. #2 Leadership with experience in all facets of the airline business, #3 Aircraft availability that can be brought on line within a short period of time after the certification is approved.(Virgin America allready has their frist aircraft secured, with more on the way) #4 Flight Crew experience to operate those aircraft #5 Operations & Security Proceedures in place that meet or beat the standards as set forth as minimal prior to application submission. And this has all been done with respresentatives of the DOT.

The prosecution of this application, which is procedural at the DOT is now happening. Virgin America has done & is doing everything to meet or beat the minimal standards as set forth by the DOT. The prosecution of this application should flow extremely smooth as no single item has been left undone. Those behind this have years of experience with this very thing.

mke717spotter

Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:21 am

Quoting B742 (Reply 5):
There first A320 was spotted in TLS, but without full Virgin America colours

Maybe their waiting for the launch to reveal the colours

There is a post here, started by me:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...99801

that shot was taken a couple of weeks ago, do you think that maybe this aircraft has been painted into full colors by then  confused 
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

EA CO AS

Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:55 am

Quoting Airbrasil (Reply 25):
Hello my friends,

I just want to say taht I got hired with Alaska Airlines.

Congratulations! Welcome to the family.  bigthumbsup 

DFWLandingPath

Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:17 am

On Bloomberg last night there was an interview with Richard Branson. He said that Virgin America will start flying mid to late 2006.

dfwlandingpath

CIDFlyer

Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:50 am

I think Virgin America could possibly work..It does have a strong name brand recognition (Think Virgin Atlantic Airways, Virgin Records and the Virgin Music Megastores) It will be interesting to see what their concept will be. One question I have though, will they code share with Virgin Atlantic?

SunValley

Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:23 pm

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 29):
that shot was taken a couple of weeks ago, do you think that maybe this aircraft has been painted into full colors by then

You are right, that is the first Virgin Aircraft, and will not represent the Virgin America livery until in late January - Early February.