md90fan

US Airways News/Rumors?

Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:15 am

Hey! I was wondering if there was any new news about US Airways/HP? Any new routes in the pipeline, regional flying? Well, anything is appreciated, thanls again  Smile
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

md90fan

RE: US Airways News/Rumors?

Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:27 pm

Does Anybody know anything about the question I asked?

wedgetail737

Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:40 pm

When will US Airways and America West become all US Airways? In other words, when will the Cactus airplanes be US Airways airplanes?

md90fan

Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:43 pm

I heard US is looking at flying to RDG(redding,pa) with 3/4 daily turbo prop service to PHL and 3/4 daily RJ service to CLT.

wedgetail737

Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:11 pm

That would be Reading, PA not Redding, CA.

md90fan

Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:14 pm

Quoting Wedgetail737 (Reply 4):
That would be Reading, PA not Redding, CA.

Thanks thats what I meant  Smile

FCYTravis

Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:14 pm

Cactus airplanes won't be USAir airplanes until the certificate merges.

Marketing-wise, the America West brand disappears into history on Jan. 4. That's when all flights will be sold and marketed as US Airways, with America West flights being exclusively code-share service. In-flight announcements, gate signs, etc. will be switched to US Airways on that date.
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

kyair

Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:49 pm

Here's a little light reading for you, all recent USAirways threads. They all contain speculation, news and rumors about US. Enjoy!
HP/US 767s To HNL (by Bridogger6 Dec 22 2005 in Civil Aviation)#ID2508034
Are US Airways Still To Receive The A330-200? (by Gilesdavies Dec 20 2005 in Civil Aviation)#ID2503102
US Airways 757's To Europe? (by Gilesdavies Dec 20 2005 in Civil Aviation)#ID2503095
US Airways Starts Hawaii Service Today (by Junction Dec 16 2005 in Civil Aviation)#ID2496126
US Airways Ireland Year Round- True? (by SNNUS Dec 15 2005 in Civil Aviation)#ID2493899
US Airways Express (by ATWZW170 Dec 14 2005 in Civil Aviation)#ID2491175
Future Of US Airways FLL Focus City (by Kkfla737 Dec 14 2005 in Civil Aviation)#ID2489870
US 757 In New Colors In Service With Photo (by LGA777 Dec 14 2005 in Civil Aviation)#ID2489738
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened - Dr. Seuss

CentPIT

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:23 am

No RDG-PIT? Would be nice to help increase connecting traffic again.
Pittsburgh International: US Airways---160 daily departures! (52 destinations)

28L28L

Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:05 am

Why the "code share" with America West after the 4th?

flypdx

Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:10 am

Quoting 28L28L (Reply 9):

Because that is part of the transition timeline..

A330323X

Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:28 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 3):
I heard US is looking at flying to RDG(redding,pa)

I know where that rumor started, and it's nothing more than wishful thinking. Won't happen.

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 3):
with 3/4 daily turbo prop service to PHL and 3/4 daily RJ service to CLT.

That's more service than RDG had back when it had service.  Silly

To clarify, they already codeshare on the majority of each others flights. January 4 will just be a date when the HP name will disappear as much as is possible. As for why then, I would imagine they wanted to wait until after the holidays, so as to minimize the number of clueless once-a-year travelers wondering where to check in and such.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

A330323X

Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:28 am

Quoting KYAir (Reply 7):
Here's a little light reading for you, all recent USAirways threads. They all contain speculation, news and rumors about US. Enjoy!

And I meant to add, it's very nice to see that some people around here know how to use the search feature.  Wink
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

TWAAF9

Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:07 am

I would imagine the process is going to be similar to the TWA-AA integration (note my comments aren't intended to start an "AA screwed TWA and all its employees" tangent) in that while the certificate and aircraft will all be HP, but flying under a US flight number. Like with TWA/AA, the DRS showed, for example, AA2720 STL-LGW as "Operated By TWA." IIRC, eventually AA argued to the FAA to have the "Operated By TWA" line removed because essentially, it was all AA service with the AA brand (a one-way code share) and the actual operating "airline" really didn't matter.

Eventually, as a gate agent with AA (former TW) at MCI, I was dispatching flights to DFW as AA flights, crews on the TW certificate, and some aircraft still in full TWA livery (with a little sticker by the door that said "Operated by TWA Airlines, LLC, an American Airlines Company). Amazingly, I don't remember any of the passengers asking asinine questions like "Umm, I'm booked on an American direct flight to Dallas, but the plane says TWA." Haha. Either they didn't notice or just didn't care.
Ahh, the power of SABRE...

rdwelch

Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:11 am

A330323X and KYAir, thanks for the leads to the threads. A330323X, my A.net navigation skills are still a little suspect, so thanks for the training wheels.

Gus
They say I have ADD, but they don't understand..Oh look! A chicken!

MAH4546

Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:08 am

Here is a Pittsburgh Gazette article about the resumption of PIT-FRA, but, as the article says, don't get your hopes up:

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/business/s_404160.html
a.

USAFHummer

Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:55 am

US also intends to announce the US of A will be invading Iran shortly...*ducks*

http://www.usairways.com/dividendmiles/military_in_club.htm

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

kyair

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:04 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 16):
invading Iran shortly

Holy cow! Good eye, USAFHummer! I didn't catch that one. I'm sure Hillary, Howard and John will all have something to say about this!

CentPIT

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:06 am

My dad works for Bayer Corporation in Pittsburgh and he said that the company is still seeking non-stop service PIT-FRA. Pittsburgh will see non-stop flights to Europe within the next year or two; I can't believe LH hasn't/won't pick up the route. If LH had more smaller widebodies available I think PIT would have been added. Bayer has their North American headquarters in Pittsburgh. Several other Pittsburgh headquartered companies with ties to Germany aren't going away so FRA or some European city will be coming soon.

PHXinterrupted

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:14 am

Greg

That's pretty embarrassing. Would someone please email that to Doug Parker.
Keepin' it real.

LambertMan

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:20 am

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 18):
My dad works for Bayer Corporation in Pittsburgh and he said that the company is still seeking non-stop service PIT-FRA. Pittsburgh will see non-stop flights to Europe within the next year or two; I can't believe LH hasn't/won't pick up the route. If LH had more smaller widebodies available I think PIT would have been added. Bayer has their North American headquarters in Pittsburgh. Several other Pittsburgh headquartered companies with ties to Germany aren't going away so FRA or some European city will be coming soon.

You're really hoping and wishing here. LH has other interests in the US such as San Diego and a possible return to Phoenix, and US simply doesn't have the aircraft or the desire to invest any more money into an unprofitable route. That leaves a return by BA to PIT (not happening) or some type of subsidy gauranteed by Bayer.

md90fan

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:23 am

It would be nice to see transatlantic service return at PIT

redflyer

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:35 am

Greg

Great. I can see another consipiracy thread starting because some dork in US' IT department doesn't have his/her work proofed. This is going to make everyone crow that US (the airline) is obviously part of "a vast, right-wing conspiracy" out to manipulate all world events.
My other home is a Piper Cherokee 180C

CentPIT

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:42 am

Well PIT will see European service again, and i'd bet to say before STL.

kyair

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:45 am

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 22):
Great. I can see another consipiracy thread starting because some dork in US' IT department doesn't have his/her work proofed. This is going to make everyone crow that US (the airline) is obviously part of "a vast, right-wing conspiracy" out to manipulate all world events.

Yep, you know how it works here at a.net. BTW, I like the signature.   

Looks like Kalaha posted before I got mine finished. Told ya...

[Edited 2005-12-28 22:46:49]

LambertMan

Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:42 am

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 24):
Well PIT will see European service again, and i'd bet to say before STL.

Well your two best prospects for service basically slammed the door shut, so that must mean they are both planning service for this summer!

Besides, I never said anything about St. Louis anyway. I'm resigned to the fact that STL probably won't see transatlantic service for a very long period of time. Reality should catch up with you soon.

Tornado82

Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:48 am

Quoting A330323X (Reply 11):

I know where that rumor started, and it's nothing more than wishful thinking. Won't happen.

Hahaha... That sounds like something WFMZ TV in Allentown/Reading would propagate.

With the Rt 222 project gaining momentum between Reading and Allentown, the necessity for service in RDG will go from little to none... you'll be able to drive from Reading to ABE in 30 minutes or so within a few years... and US surely doesn't want to add more nearly-empty props clogging runways in PHL.

etops1

Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:28 pm

looks like they fixed it

Military Personnel Welcome in US Airways Clubs

US Airways is welcoming all military personnel traveling on US Airways, US Airways Express, America West or America West Express on their way to or from Iraq or Afghanistan to visit any US Airways Club location. The invitation includes any family members or friends who may be meeting military personnel or waiting with them prior to their departure. Military personnel will be asked to present their valid military ID and should be wearing military attire to be admitted into the Club.

CentPIT

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:05 pm

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 26):
Besides, I never said anything about St. Louis anyway. I'm resigned to the fact that STL probably won't see transatlantic service for a very long period of time. Reality should catch up with you soon.

Yeah I think PIT has at least two years...

masseybrown

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 pm

I get the feeling that the Midwest has hit bottom and has nowhere to go but up; the place DOES have some natural advantages, like water. I hope both STL and PIT get European service back.

The small 787 might be the plane to make it economical; but I guess that would be a 5 year wait. Maybe in the meantime US could do a 757 PIT-LGW, like CO's flight in Cleveland.

ScottB

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:49 pm

Well, I suppose this isn't exactly "news" to many people, but Doug Parker has basically acknowledged that the existing (high) fare structure at CLT will not change. Quoting the Charlotte Business Journal:

Quote:
[Parker] reaffirms plans to leave Charlotte's current operations largely intact. And that probably means leaving the fare structure, often a sore point because of relatively high ticket prices here, intact as well.

He says Charlotte's large regional-jet fleet doesn't permit much cost-cutting. "On the positive side, those jets allow us to serve smaller communities that would not be able to support larger jets."

So much for "LCC" for the folks in Charlotte.

redflyer

Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:02 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 31):
Doug Parker has basically acknowledged that the existing (high) fare structure at CLT will not change. Quoting the Charlotte Business Journal:
Quote:
[Parker] reaffirms plans to leave Charlotte's current operations largely intact. And that probably means leaving the fare structure, often a sore point because of relatively high ticket prices here, intact as well.

He says Charlotte's large regional-jet fleet doesn't permit much cost-cutting. "On the positive side, those jets allow us to serve smaller communities that would not be able to support larger jets."

Amazing how a little competition from, say, WN would make Parker re-evaluate "current operations" and drop prices dramatically. In that case, I seriously doubt he'd be touting the benefits of service to those smaller communities as the upside to higher prices in Charlotte.

ATWZW170

Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:40 am

If this industry is ever going to recover prices can't just be dropped because WN may or may not come in and start service. I think it sucks when WN comes into a city. I know fares drop but have you flown on WN lately? It's nothing special......I don't think WN is the golden child of the LCC's. They do little to no service, their jokes are old and worn out, people singing...come on, at least with B6 you have a classy LCC. FL, not so classy but still better than WN. And I know that the aviation field will probably never see the profits that it did in the past, but lowering prices isn't always the right answer. You lower your prices next thing you know employee's are taking pay cuts and service is being slashed in the cabin because you can't support it with the low yield that you are getting from Trailer Park Tommy who can now fly for $39 each way. The WN effect does help generate traffic but is it the right traffic? I'd much rather have three "world travelers" paying $200 bucks each opposed to 10 "one time flyers" paying $60 each.
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

snnus

Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:57 am

Maybe PIT will get some Transatlantic service in the next year or two probably to FRA(but i would not hold my breath)!
I hear that U.S will continue the SNN/DUB service into the winter possibly
with a 757 from HP, 767 service in the summer, CO and DL adding alot of capacity into these markets, loads in the winter very good for AA and CO out of SNN and DUB, plus EI of course..

redflyer

Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:12 am

Quoting ATWZW170 (Reply 33):
I think it sucks when WN comes into a city.

Really? You prefer to pay higher prices in a monopolized market?

They do little to no service,

If you're talking cabin service, what airline these days does unless, of course, it's in first class. But hey, the last few times I flew DL and NW in first the service was no better than coach. (There was more elbow and leg room so at least they retained something.)

their jokes are old and worn out, people singing

Jokes and singing by employees kind of reflects the attitude employees have, which seems to be a lot better than than the legacies. I'd rather have cabin crew that sings bad songs and tells stale jokes rather than put up with the surly attitude of many other carriers' employees.

at least with B6...

...FL...

Both are great LCCs and both have their own unique style that is different than WN's. All three carriers are great to fly.

but lowering prices isn't always the right answer.

True to a point. Prices reflect cost structure. WN (and B6 and FL) doesn't have low (note: I didn't say "lowest") prices just for the hell of it. They have low prices because their cost structure is low.

You lower your prices next thing you know employee's are taking pay cuts

Really? I haven't heard WN (or B6 or FL) employees taking pay cuts. Oh, you must be referring to legacy carriers (e.g., DL, UA, NW, etc.) who've had to face reality after ignoring the changes that have been occuring in the airline industry for the last five or so years.

and service is being slashed in the cabin

What kind of "service" are you referring to? I hope you're not referring to "regular meals" because, frankly, unless the flight is of some duration, most carriers don't serve meals. But even on those few flights I take where they do, I ALWAYS bring my own food. Have you tasted the fecal matter some legacies serve up as a "meal"?

you are getting from Trailer Park Tommy who can now fly for $39 each way

So what you're saying is that only the well-to-do should fly and the rest of the masses be damned. Nice.

The WN effect does help generate traffic but is it the right traffic?

You didn't by chance spend your formative years in some back-water location reading Mein Kampf, did you?

I'd much rather have three "world travelers" paying $200 bucks each opposed to 10 "one time flyers" paying $60 each.

So I guess all this means that when you fly, you always pick the more expensive fare because chances are the clientele will be more to your liking. Right.  Yeah sure

SJCRRPAX

Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:12 pm

If this industry is ever going to recover prices can't just be dropped because WN may or may not come in and start service. I think it sucks when WN comes into a city. I know fares drop but have you flown on WN lately? It's nothing special......I don't think WN is the golden child of the LCC's. They do little to no service, their jokes are old and worn out, people singing...come on, at least with B6 you have a classy LCC. FL, not so classy but still better than WN. And I know that the aviation field will probably never see the profits that it did in the past, but lowering prices isn't always the right answer. You lower your prices next thing you know employee's are taking pay cuts and service is being slashed in the cabin because you can't support it with the low yield that you are getting from Trailer Park Tommy who can now fly for $39 each way. The WN effect does help generate traffic but is it the right traffic? I'd much rather have three "world travelers" paying $200 bucks each opposed to 10 "one time flyers" paying $60 each.

LOL, great rant. Well I'm "Business Trailer Park Tommy", and I'm on about my 8th free ticket this year with WN. I like WN because:

1. I don't have to pay 10x more than the PAX seating next to me, just because one of my customers demanded I be on site the next day.

2. I like being able to change my ticket at the last minute without the $100 charge, because I never know when I'm going to finish consulting with customer.

3. I like being able to buy a 1 way tickets for the .5x the cost of a RT...

I think some of the airline industry doesn't realize that not all business people have unlimited budgets to blow on travel.

"Trailer Park Tommy" that is funny....

ATWZW170

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:36 am

I don't think it matters what I put on here, I"m going to get flammed. I hate WN, I'm not alone.
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

redflyer

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:32 am

Quoting ATWZW170 (Reply 37):
I don't think it matters what I put on here, I"m going to get flammed. I hate WN, I'm not alone.

No, you're not alone. Given the number of people who flame WN in this forum you have plenty of company.

Regards

PHLBOS

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:16 am

Okay, time to steer this thread BACK to its original focus/topic; which is US Airways... not LCC bashing be it WN or whoever.

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 1):
Does Anybody know anything about the question I asked?

At present, the only new items regarding US has been the application of its new color scheme on its aircraft.

US Mainline bearing the NC scheme are:
4 - 767s

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paul Kanagie
View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Kanagie

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joseph K Wagner
View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Kanagie

1 - 757

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bill Shull

1 - A320 (this first plane to get it)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joseph K Wagner

The only USx planes to receive the new treatment are the ZW CRJs that recently joined USx. We see alot of these over at PHL.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joseph K Wagner

Some time next year, 4 A320s will receive retro liveries representing the merged airlines that created the current US Airways.
1 will feature HP in their present livery
1 will feature PSA's livery
1 will feature PI's livery
1 will feature AL's wedge livery (pre-1975)

All the retro-livery planes will feature US Airways titles.

No word as towards whether or not other plane types will get a similar treatment.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

gigneil

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:40 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 39):

There's 2 now. One of them is a new frame delivered to HP.

N

BoomBoom

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:48 am

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 35):
You didn't by chance spend your formative years in some back-water location reading Mein Kampf, did you?

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

[Edited 2005-12-30 18:55:35]
Our eyes are open, our eyes are open--wide, wide, wide...

PHLBOS

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:55 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 40):

Must've been a very recent delivery because there aren't any photos of it in A.net's database as of yet... unless the pics are either being reviewed by the mods or were rejected.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

laxtwin

Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:17 am

I saw an A320 in the new color scheme when I was in Phoenix on 12/24. It was around noon.

PHLBOS

Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:20 am

Quoting Laxtwin (Reply 43):
I saw an A320 in the new color scheme when I was in Phoenix on 12/24. It was around noon.

Do you recall what the tail number was?

The first US A320 in the new scheme is N109UW.

southsky

Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:59 am

I'm sorry to butt into the scheme conversation here, but does anyone know the recent loads on the MOB-CLT runs? I know they just added a CR7 non-stop to CLT and I'm wondering how those flights are going. Thanks ahead of time.

jmc1975

Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:00 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 44):
Quoting Laxtwin (Reply 43):

Do you recall what the tail number was?

The first US A320 in the new scheme is N109UW.

N679AW flies through PHX at least twice per day.

A330323X

Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:01 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 40):

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 42):
Must've been a very recent delivery because there aren't any photos of it in A.net's database as of yet... unless the pics are either being reviewed by the mods or were rejected.

I don't know what to tell you about why there's no pictures, but Gigneil's right, there's been an HP bird flying around in the new colors for almost two weeks now. It's N679AW. It was even in PHL yesterday.

md90fan

Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:16 am

At present, the only new items regarding US has been the application of its new color scheme on its aircraft.

Thanks buddy  Smile

SJCRRPAX

Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:32 am

IMHO, I think its an ugly color scheme. What's with the Black and white U.S. flag? The new company should let AIRWEST choose the color scheme. Or better yet they should just name the new airline "PSA" repaint everything with smiles, and than Play Boeing off of AIRBUS and threaten airbus with never-ever buying another plane unless they gave them an A380. Than paint the A380 with the biggest smile, and piss off the Brits by running it on the Busiest US - UK routes under cutting there cost. Now that would be an Airline!

PHLBOS

Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:33 am

Quoting A330323X (Reply 47):
I don't know what to tell you about why there's no pictures, but Gigneil's right, there's been an HP bird flying around in the new colors for almost two weeks now. It's N679AW. It was even in PHL yesterday.

Thanks for the update, A330323X. Mind you, I wasn't doubting Gigneil; it's just that for the last 3 to 4 weeks many of the Philly spotters (including A.net's Wagz, PHLApproach & Runway27Right) have been on the lookout for any additional US mainline planes bearing the new scheme coming in. A year from now, the new scheme will be just a big    (in terms of uniqueness or variety); at least as far as PHL's concerned.

Since N679AW was a newly delivered plane to HP as opposed to a repainted US plane; that may explain why it's only made one known (at least in this thread) PHL appearance.

As far as no pictures of N679AW's concerned; that does come as a surprise to me... especially given the attention that this new livery's received.

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 48):
Thanks buddy

No problem.  thumbsup 

[Edited 2005-12-30 20:33:32]