CALMSP
Topic Author

CO Looking For New RJ Partner

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:10 am

Dec. 28, 2005

CO issued the following news release today, along with an employee Q and A. The bulletin and the Q and A are included as separate .pdf attachments.

CONTINENTAL AIRLINES TO WITHDRAW 69 AIRCRAFT

FROM EXPRESSJET AIRLINES, INC.

HOUSTON, Dec. 28, 2005 – Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) today announced that it has given notice it will withdraw 69 of 274 regional jet aircraft from its capacity purchase agreement with ExpressJet Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: XJT) and ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. (ExpressJet). ExpressJet is currently the exclusive operator of regional jet services for Continental Airlines.

Continental will request proposals from numerous regional jet operators to provide regional jet service to replace the withdrawn capacity. The transition of service from ExpressJet to a new operator is expected to begin in January 2007 and be completed during the summer of 2007.

Continental is withdrawing the 69 aircraft under its capacity purchase agreement with ExpressJet, as permitted under that agreement, because Continental believes the rates charged by ExpressJet to Continental for regional capacity are above the current market.

Prior to today’s announcement, Continental and ExpressJet attempted to negotiate a more competitive long-term contract, but the parties were unable to reach agreement.

“We didn’t want to take this action, but we were not able to reach an agreement with ExpressJet to lower our cost,” said Continental’s Senior Vice President of Asia/Pacific & Corporate Development Mark Erwin. “Continental will continue to take the difficult actions necessary to remain competitive and protect the jobs and retirement security of our 42,000 employees.”

ExpressJet can continue to sublease from Continental any of the 69 withdrawn aircraft, although at significantly increased lease rates. However, ExpressJet cannot operate any aircraft into Continental’s hubs except under its agreement with Continental. Should ExpressJet elect to retain aircraft, those aircraft may be replaced by a new operator. ExpressJet has up to nine months to determine whether it will continue to sublease any of the withdrawn aircraft.

Boeing757/767

RE: CO Looking For New RJ Partner

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:13 am

Looks like the game of musical regional partners continues to muddy. Interesting development, and a likely response to the kind of rates bankrupt airlines are getting.

It will become even harder to keep a scorecard on which carrier is operating for what partner.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

mbm3

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:24 am

I just got this release and find it very interesting to think of the many possibilities that this move will allow.
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

masseybrown

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am

I hope the new guy isn't Mesa; but Mesa seems to be the low bidder lately.

Bicoastal

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:27 am

Hey, there's this bubble jet Barbie airline at Dulles that is looking for a way out of sure doom and demise......
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

apodino

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:40 am

One more thing for us at ZW to bid on. We will see where this goes. If Mesa does continue to underbid everyone, that would give them flying for 5 of the 6 legacy carriers, with the exception being AA. You would think this would create a conflict of interest, and it seems unlikely that Mesa would be able to expand at this exponential rate.

I would think this would end up with someone who hasn't been growing much, who is in a position to expand in a positive rate. Skywest just ended an agreement with CO not long ago, but they still expand like crazy. Chautauqua and anyone affiliated have been growing very quickly themselves, and are partnered with everyone that mesa is. I doubt these two carriers could continue to be cheaper than everyone. The regionals likely to be in the best position could be Pinnacle and Mesaba, and if they lose the NW flying, this flying becomes absolutely necessary for them to win. ZW has to be a player in this as well, having been stagnant for so long.

This could also have repurcussions for the NW flying. I don't know if ExpressJet got the NW RFP, but you would think they would almost certainly have to bid on the flying, and the unions will pressure them too and may take concessions. Otherwise, we could be seeing a ton of furloughs. Keep in mind though, that they could not operate CLE or IAH flights for NW under the CO agreement. EWR is moot because NW doesn't run RJ's there.

FlyPNS1

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:43 am

This is no surprise. CO can't sit by and pay XJT's premium rates while other carriers (UA, US, DL, NW) slash their feed costs.

In reality, I think CO would like to just have fewer RJ's. But outside of bankruptcy, they can't simply dump the planes. So instead, they'll try to find a cheaper partner to operate them.

EA CO AS

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:53 am

I'm thinking this is just public posturing - ExpressJet needs CO, and vice-versa. They'll find a way to arrive at a new agreement that's mutually beneficial.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

BigOrange

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:55 am

Quoting Apodino (Reply 5):
EWR is moot because NW doesn't run RJ's there.

They do run ARJ's into Newark, and being that these are going to be withdrawn soon, I would expect that CRJ's would be in line to replace them.

ATWZW170

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:10 am

What has United started? That's three airlines now who are/were looking for new regional partners. Mesa nees to be careful, bidding on a lot of work, expanding too quickly...mistakes get made that way, next thing you know a crash happens. Mesa can't get crews fast enough to expand as quickly as they want.

This could be a very good thing for AWAC. I would love to see us fly for three different airlines...hell, at this point I'd be very happy with two!
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

hiflyer

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:11 am

Boy this does play on several levels....

One is CO using the action as a leverage over Expressjet similar to what NW has done to Pinnacle, UA to AWAC, and so on.

Second...or is CO wishing to align their rj service setup closer to the UAL model for that rumored merger

third...or is CO looking to get Republic and their growing fleet of 170s which are winning rj pax away from competitors left and right

or maybe a combo of 2 or more?

Any RFP will be answered by Mesa and AWAC for sure...probably Republic...and remember that SkyWest is absorbing their buy from DAL and need places to run to with those rj's.

slider

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:17 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 6):
In reality, I think CO would like to just have fewer RJ's.

True enough- the RJ bubble has burst and perhaps many of these are the 37-seaters...just a thought too.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 7):
I'm thinking this is just public posturing - ExpressJet needs CO, and vice-versa.

A very strong public shot. Take a look at XJT stock already. They'll get the message. Play ball or we'll cut you out of the equation. Let's face it- ExpressJet has benefitted immensely thanks to a very generous CO contract. They're going to have to realize that they won't find a healthier major with which to be associated. And CO should realize, as I'm sure they do, that having a singular regional SJP is beneficial in ways other than strictly the cost per flight basis. I have to say it's nice to have a "single" product out there.

tinpusher007

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:18 am

So does this mean Expressjet will have 69 surplus a/c and wind up furloughing employees?
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

CALMSP
Topic Author

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:22 am

most likely, unless they hook on with someone else............will be down to 205 a/c

ATWZW170

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:25 am

Having one regional to fly your product is a great thing. You get consistent service and follow one operation manual. UA has 6 different manuals right now. Mesa, Skywest, AWAC, Republic, Colgan, and their own. I know they are trying to get one ops manual but Mesa always seems to try to throw something else in or fight to get something taken out.....basically they just screw things up. Point, it's much better to have one, or a few, regionals. Perfect example....in ATW Mesa and Skywest fly these routes....our passengers are already staying away from the Mesa flights. In their words the crews are not as professional and their flights are always late. The Skywest flights are on time and the way the crews carry themselves speaks volumes. I flew Mesa twice now into ATW and both times we have had missed approaches.....I know things happen but the past two times a missed approach? I've never had a missed approach with an AWAC crew.

slider

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:27 am

Quoting ATWZW170 (Reply 14):
Having one regional to fly your product is a great thing. You get consistent service and follow one operation manual.

Totally my point---I don't think you can quantify that in dollars either.

I don't like the saber-rattling for that reason. Hope they settle. It's too good a gig we both have.

Tornado82

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:36 am

Quoting ATWZW170 (Reply 9):

This could be a very good thing for AWAC. I would love to see us fly for three different airlines...hell, at this point I'd be very happy with two!

No offense AWAC, while I love your service and crews, half the reason I choose CO over the others is their all-ERJ regional fleet. You guys are the only regional on par with XJT's service, but I despise those CRJ's. My vote here goes for Chautauqua, if it's for more 50-seaters, since they've got the ERJ's.

Quoting Hiflyer (Reply 10):

third...or is CO looking to get Republic and their growing fleet of 170s which are winning rj pax away from competitors left and right

Gotta work on the Scope Clause before you sign a contract for 70's.

Quoting Slider (Reply 11):

True enough- the RJ bubble has burst and perhaps many of these are the 37-seaters...just a thought too.

No more than 30 of them could be 37 seaters. There are only 30 in the fleet. http://www.expressjet.com/fleet.asp Dump the 37 seaters and I cringe to think what happens to the CLE hub.

jetfixer

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:43 am

I wouldn't be surprised if SkyWest walked away the winner of this one, they've been chomping at the bit to fly 50 seaters for CO for a while. The rumor I heard was they went into Houston with 10 Brasilias to get a foot in the door for this exact RFP that was expected to happen a year or so ago. They walked away, they were not under bid by Colgan, they did not want to add a bigger turboprop type to their fleet which is what CO would have liked.

I think is gonna be hard for anyone to under bid them. They offer an excellent product and their on time/completion is excellent. I'd compare them to the Southwest of the regionals since their ASA aquisition. With their huge CRJ fleet they have the benefits and savings that go along with operating such a large fleet type like Southwest does.

Tornado82

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:51 am

Quoting Jetfixer (Reply 17):
they have the benefits and savings that go along with operating such a large fleet type like Southwest does.

By that theory, so would ExpressJet... but with more efficient planes. (CRJ-200s are less efficient in block/hour costs than ERJ-145's... it's been on here quite a few times.)

Haven't they always said that Skywest shys away from East Coast flying? Would that make them the CLE hub RJ-er then? Or IAH? Either way, start dumping CRJ's on my routes and I'll be tempted to go back to US.

OR is this CO clearing out RJ's that are on short hop flights... in an attempt to begin acquiring Q400's from somewhere.

loggat

Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:06 am

I think it is disgraceful that quality regional airlines are losing their flying because a rinky dink outfit like Mesa can underbid them. I am embarrased for any passenger that has to fly on a route operated by them.

If Mesa gets the flying from CO, it will prove only one thing.... the only factor in the decision was cost. Their operation is so cheap and reflective of that cheapness that you can only say you get what you pay for. In this day and age, the consumer has choice. If I didn't work in the industry and receive travel benefits I know my money would stay as far away from travel on Mesa as possible.

I work for Trans States, and I don't care how bad you think we are, next to Mesa we are pretty good. Compared to others, we are middle to lower tier.

Best of luck XJT folks.
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't.

jetfixer

Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:36 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 18):
By that theory, so would ExpressJet... but with more efficient planes. (CRJ-200s are less efficient in block/hour costs than ERJ-145's... it's been on here quite a few times.)

True, but obviously Express Jet wasn't able to reach an agreement yet or we wouldn't be discussing this would we. It doesn't matter how many times it has been on this site, there is a lot more that goes into a RFP besides aircraft efficiency. What I was getting at is that SkyWest/ASA, with its now combined considerably bigger CRJ fleet is now a lot more competitive than it was 4 months ago. And 4 months ago they were very competitive.

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 18):
Haven't they always said that Skywest shys away from East Coast flying? Would that make them the CLE hub RJ-er then? Or IAH? Either way, start dumping CRJ's on my routes and I'll be tempted to go back to US.

If that were true then why would they have acquired ASA, thats pretty far east? The ATL and ORD hubs have a lot of flights that go East. As for which hub the winner of the RFP will operate out of, who knows, they may operate out of both CLE and IAH, or just out of one. You may have to go to US, you may not.

ca2ohHP

Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:39 am

Having one regional to fly your product is a great thing. You get consistent service and follow one operation manual. UA has 6 different manuals right now. Mesa, Skywest, AWAC, Republic, Colgan, and their own.

All US Airways Express carriers follow the US Airways Express ground ops manual, unlike regionals flying for UAX, where you need separate everything for each individual carrier.

jetfixer

Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:09 am

Something I just thought about after reading the press release again.

Quoting CALMSP (Thread starter):
ExpressJet can continue to sublease from Continental any of the 69 withdrawn aircraft, although at significantly increased lease rates. However, ExpressJet cannot operate any aircraft into Continental’s hubs except under its agreement with Continental. Should ExpressJet elect to retain aircraft, those aircraft may be replaced by a new operator. ExpressJet has up to nine months to determine whether it will continue to sublease any of the withdrawn aircraft.

Continental owns the lease on these 69 planes. Unless Express Jet continues to lease these plane and fly under another airlines codeshare, Continental will still be stuck with these planes. If they have their ducks in a row, the winner of the RFP will have to assume the lease on these 69 planes. Not gonna happen for CRJ operators, I may have to retract my satement about SkyWest winning the race. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Tornado82

Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:13 am

Quoting Jetfixer (Reply 22):
If they have their ducks in a row, the winner of the RFP will have to assume the lease on these 69 planes.

Is that the Hallelujah Chorus I hear?

toltommy

Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:42 am

Having one regional to fly your product is a great thing.

Yes and no. Look what happened to CVG during the Comair strike. Until that time, Delta really kept the regionals seperated. Now they are mixed at all hubs to prevent similar incidents.

Personally, I see Chautauqua, TransStates and Mesa on the inside track. If COEX gives the planes up, those 3 carriers will be ready to step up, as the 145 family is already on their certificates. The cost of adding the new aircraft type to certificates at SkyWest, Comair, Pinnacle or Mesaba may make their bid uncompetetive. Mesaba just spent millions to get the CRJ added to their ticket, and now it looks like they may not recoup that investment.

The other interesting piece of this is that COEX has 9 months to decide if they want to return the planes. They could keep the 69 ERJ's and offer to fly them for another carrier. For example NWA. This would give NWA the ability to shed leases on more CRJ's, and might be a good way for them to control costs on the Airlink flying.

loggat

Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:51 am

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 25):
They could keep the 69 ERJ's and offer to fly them for another carrier.

But remember that CAL said that the sublease rates would be much higher than the current lease rates. I don't think they would be interested in doing this deal as it looks on paper, unless these new sublease rates are lower than another alternative for acquiring airplanes for another codeshare.
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't.

FlyPNS1

Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:55 am

This would give NWA the ability to shed leases on more CRJ's, and might be a good way for them to control costs on the Airlink flying.

Assuming that XJT's bid was low-enough to be cost-effective for NWA. According to the press release, if XJT takes the planes they will pay higher lease rates. These higher rates would normally be passed on to the customer...NWA in your example. However, NWA wants lower cost feed.

I don't know if XJT has low enough costs to put in a competitive bid for NWA flying.

CRJ900

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:07 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 11):

"Everyone" is kicking the 50-seater jets nowadays for being way too expensive to operate. Wouldn't just 37 seats be even more expensive to fly?
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

toltommy

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:25 am

Quoting Loggat (Reply 26):
But remember that CAL said that the sublease rates would be much higher than the current lease rates.

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 27):
These higher rates would normally be passed on to the customer...NWA in your example. However, NWA wants lower cost feed.

Depends on the rate. CO's "much higher lease rates" may be cheaper than the best NWA can squeeze out of their lessors. If that's the case, they'll give the planes back. Part of NWA's savings could come from a CRJ fleet that they no longer have to carry and sublease. I never said it was likely, but I don't think it's impossible either.

ca2ohHP

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:41 am

Yes and no. Look what happened to CVG during the Comair strike. Until that time, Delta really kept the regionals seperated. Now they are mixed at all hubs to prevent similar incidents.

Yeah, the Comair Syndrome.

FlyHoss

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:54 am

Don't overlook who's running the show at ExpressJet, Jim Ream. He may be the CEO of ExpressJet, but he's a CO employee. Nor is he the only CO employee (with an employment contract from CO) at ExpressJet.

There a few different conclusions you can draw from that. My first reaction to this news was it's the beginning of concessions at ExpressJet.

I pray that Mesa doesn't enter the picture. I hope the CO customers on this message board will be loud and clear with CO management about that; are you listening MasseyBrown?

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 3):
I hope the new guy isn't Mesa; but Mesa seems to be the low bidder lately.
A little bit louder now, a lil bit louder now...

slider

Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:02 am

Quoting CRJ900 (Reply 28):
"Everyone" is kicking the 50-seater jets nowadays for being way too expensive to operate. Wouldn't just 37 seats be even more expensive to fly?

That was my point- that if there has to be a reduction in flying, or a farming out to a lower cost provider, the 37 SRJs would be the ones first to go. At least that's my thought on the surface...

Tornado82

Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:52 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 32):
37 SRJs would be the ones first to go. At least that's my thought on the surface...

There are routes where either performance restrictions, or yields, make the 37 seaters nearly a necessity. Specifically the performance restrictions... routes like CRW-IAH come to mind off the top of my head. An "XRJ" restricted down to the point where they can only take 37 pax anyways, is alot less profitable than a 37 seat "SRJ," and on some of those routes, the yields are there. Look at the average fares on a route like CRW-IAH. That said, CO might not need all 30 of those 135's.

Lemurs

Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:58 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 33):
There are routes where either performance restrictions, or yields, make the 37 seaters nearly a necessity. Specifically the performance restrictions... routes like CRW-IAH come to mind off the top of my head. An "XRJ" restricted down to the point where they can only take 37 pax anyways, is alot less profitable than a 37 seat "SRJ," and on some of those routes, the yields are there. Look at the average fares on a route like CRW-IAH. That said, CO might not need all 30 of those 135's.

What's the restriction there? I thought the -145XR was supposed to take care of a lot of the field restriction problems the -145 had in relation to the -135? Is it just that short? Also, what other fields would be affected like that? What you say makes perfect sense, I just have no feel for how many of CO's ops would be affected.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

ca2ohHP

Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:06 am

Quoting FlyHoss (Reply 31):
I pray that Mesa doesn't enter the picture. I hope the CO customers on this message board will be loud and clear with CO management about that; are you listening MasseyBrown?

Are they willing to pay more to not fly on a Mesa operated flight? If not, you're probably out of luck. In my opinion, YV has greatly improved their performance from even 2 years ago. They still have a long way to go, but DL, US, UA all recognized that regionals were a significant piece of their operating expenses and their reorganization plans.

ContnlEliteCMH

Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:53 am

Well, this Continental customer actually likes ExpressJet, the ERJ-145, and CLE. The product is *seamless*. The only way you know that you aren't on a Continental flight is because the flight attendant says so. The uniforms, the livery, the crew mannerisms -- it's all Continental.

This same Continental customer has an aversion to the CRJ. I don't like the way it feels, and I surely don't like its windows.

Continental may be rattling sabers; it may genuinely be trying to cut costs. Whatever they're doing, I hope the keep ExpressJet.
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

ATWZW170

Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:56 am

Airlines do recognize the need of regionals but when they are not getting the profits that they used to, they will turn to the lowest cost, ie MESA. I wouldn't say that Mesa has improved their operation. I would say that airlines are willing to overlook poor service for the price they pay...or they realize they are getting what they pay for. It sucks that good airlines have to lower their standards because of companies like Mesa.....I'm sure I'm like many when I say I wish they would just GO away!

Lemurs

Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:59 am

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 36):
Continental may be rattling sabers; it may genuinely be trying to cut costs. Whatever they're doing, I hope the keep ExpressJet.

I think it's all 3. After all, by YE06 they'll have 274 RJ's in the books. Even if they go through with this and drop 69 of them, that's still 205 RJ's the ExpressJet will be operating for them.

As many other's have said, this is probably a little of everything. They can't get XJT to negotiate, so they want to see what the market will bring them, and if it's good, they have more leverage with XJT, and if it's not good, maybe they change their service goals with the RJ's in the future and let XJT figure out what to do with the 69 planes.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

flyXJT

Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:18 am

This is, as some of you pointed out, mostly posturing between companies, and most likely for XJT cutbacks.

Here's the truth about some of the points:

--XJTs rates have been lowered and lowered each year since opening for CO, and now are nearly identical to the chataquas and republics..er, wait those are the same, you get the drift

--CO went to the table a few months ago with XJT to renegotiate the CPA and the contract that they offered XJT guaranteed at best, a 4 million dollar loss for XJT

--XJT does have first say for the aircraft. They aren't giving them up. The leases are only 4% higher.

In my opinion, since CAL has the right to reduce XJT flying 25% in 3 years, but they are only doing it in 6 months, they are just cutting capacity by doing this (without reducing the flying this way, there would be no way to cut back XJT flying due to the clauses in the contract) If anything, I think they will let XJT take the planes, and wont even backfill the whole 400 flights worth (which is about the 69 planes), but rather use Colgan to fly more and bigger props into the BRO, CRP, BPT, LCH, etc like areas. 50 seat RJs arent profitable (read Indy Air), and this is their way to fix the problem that they created by ordering 275 planes when RJs were the rage.

Sorry if this is kinda back and forth, ive been at work for 29 hours now and Ive got another plane 10 minutes out....

pw

SkyexRamper

Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:50 am

I was informed today by a fellow forum browser and xjt employee that the ERJs will be going to Mesa. Yep, the same mesa that has poor mx and airplanes get stuck in cities. Mesa and Chautauqua are the only carriers in place that could or do operate a large number of ERJs.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

toltommy

Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:32 am

Quoting Skyexramper (Reply 40):
I was informed today by a fellow forum browser and xjt employee that the ERJs will be going to Mesa.

redflag 

Let me see if I follow you on this....

In the hours since CO announced this news, they asked for RFP, got them from numerous regional carriers, evaluated them, awarded the contract to Mesa, and told your friend, who then told you. But they skipped putting out a press release announcing the news? Sounds like ramp rumors to me...

Bels13

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:42 pm

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 36):
Well, this Continental customer actually likes ExpressJet, the ERJ-145, and CLE. The product is *seamless*. The only way you know that you aren't on a Continental flight is because the flight attendant says so. The uniforms, the livery, the crew mannerisms -- it's all Continental.

From this ExpressJet employee, thank you for your kind words and support. Right now, we need all the support we can get. Please forward your comments to Continental Airlines. From my previous experience, I know Continental takes customers comments as serious as anyone else if not more. They will respond back to you as well. Also, you can voice your support anytime you fly on Continental or Continental Express and make sure everyone you come in contact knows your feelings. There are employee groups that discuss all this information and they will incorporate your ideas to these groups. Thanks again.

toxtethogrady

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:45 pm

If I read the speculation correctly, unless CAL is gearing up to fly more 737's on its domestic routes, the airport that could lose out is their IAH hub. It seems counterintuitive; as strong as the growth has been at IAH over the past four years, cutbacks would not make much sense.

Bels13

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:50 pm

Just to clarify, in order to get larger aircraft on property of any regional airline to fly under the Continental Banner, it would require CAL pilots to restructure their scope. According to CAL pilots, that will not happen unless it would be in the form of a flow-through agreement in which pilots coming from a CAL operated regional carrier would flow up to these 70 to 90 seat aircraft in which then flow to CAL. That most likely would never happen. As far as the 69 aircraft go, XJT will come up with the cost to retain the 69 aircraft and fly them for CAL if they wish or fly for either NW, UA or US. The rumor out of Chicago is that UA will not retain all their current regionals by the end of their bankruptcy period, (Feb 2). A reliable source from within UA says that it will be one of the many carriers at ORD in which they may continue to fly out of another hub, just not ORD. As the beacon turns, we will have to wait to find out.

Garri767

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:51 pm

YES! this means IAH-AMA will most likely be served with 737 etc.!! I got sick of those erj145s!
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

toxtethogrady

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:55 pm

The airline with nine (count-'em, nine!) RJ roundtrips a day IAH-BNA is going to deign to fly a 737 IAH-AMA? Cool thought, but it will never happen...

HunUtazo

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:58 pm

it's very simple,

they're going to bring the feed in-house...

and it's just the beginning.
dude

Garri767

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:59 pm

12 flights here a day IAH-AMA , and they were so overbooked yesterday , and they had a spare 737 so they used it on the route, :P believe me my best friend is a FA there.

almost every flight they have is nearly full. I wouldnt see a reason why soon enough they wouldnt replace the erjs even if they hadnt bought Expressjet a/c

[Edited 2005-12-29 06:05:06]
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

piercey

Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:22 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 16):
Dump the 37 seaters and I cringe to think what happens to the CLE hub.

Sad There goes the spotting, and when I thought it couldn't be any worse......  Sad

And why does everybody hate Embraer? Aircraft manufacture of the future!  Smile

GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!!  Smile
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.