BoomBoom
Topic Author

Rice Rocket: Fresh Rice In Flight

Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:14 am

Airline first: Fresh rice in flight

Rice is a staple food for billions of people, but serving it freshly cooked at 35,000 feet has been a luxury that even first-class passengers have not been able to enjoy on commercial airline flights.

Instead, the rice served passengers is typically cooked before takeoff, then reheated for meal service.

Until now.

One of The Boeing Co.'s Japanese suppliers has found a way to make freshly cooked rice in flight.

A spokesman for Japan Airlines said the microwave rice cooker is "reasonably priced," and able to handle the large volumes of rice the airline requires for a meal service.

So far, Japan Airlines is offering the fresh-cooked rice only to business and first-class passengers on the selected routes.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/253650_air28.html

I never knew it was such a BIG deal!
Our eyes are open, our eyes are open--wide, wide, wide...

planemannyc

RE: Rice Rocket: Fresh Rice In Flight

Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:18 am

Quoting BoomBoom (Thread starter):

I never knew it was such a BIG deal!

Neither did I. Last time I had rice served in a plane, I had no qualms when it was cooked. And what is the point of freshly cooked rice if the rest of the food is reheated? Are Japanese taste buds that sensitive?

Best,

Wasim / Planemannyc

ltbewr

Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:55 am

The interior of aircraft at cruise altitude is equal that of about 5-7,000 ft. (1600-2200m) where the tempature where water reaches boiling is a lot lower than at sea level (maybe 190F/90C vs. 212F/100C). That makes it difficult to reach the proper level of heat in the water to properly cook the rice (baking, other cooking is also affected by altitude for similar reasons). Where rice is such a central part of a diet, such as with Asian cultures, it is highly desirable to offer fresh cooked rice, not some yucky, artifical form of it.

ha763

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:02 am

Steamed rice is very integral to Japanese meals and many people can tell the difference between rice from different regions. Reheating cooked short-grain rice can either make the rice mushy instead of sticky or leave a shell of dry rice. I've had rice on JAL business and first class meals that had that shell of dry rice.

JAL started serving fresh cooked Uonuma Koshihikari rice on NRT/KIX-LHR and NRT-JFK on Dec 1st. ORD, FRA, CDG, LAX, and SFO are scheduled to recieve this service in March 2006.

http://www.jal.com/en/press/0000373/373.html

srbmod

Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:47 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 2):
That makes it difficult to reach the proper level of heat in the water to properly cook the rice (baking, other cooking is also affected by altitude for similar reasons).

That's also one of the reasons why it's hard to get a decent cup of coffee on a flight.

HKGKaiTak

Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:14 am

Quoting Planemannyc (Reply 1):
And what is the point of freshly cooked rice if the rest of the food is reheated? Are Japanese taste buds that sensitive?

Not that simple. People can easily tell the difference between freshly cooked rice and reheated (ie microwaved or re-steamed) rice.

Freshly cooked rice makes even reheated food tastes much better.

I wonder what the Chinese carriers will do if this becomes popular. Mmmmmmmmm.
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

Jet-lagged

Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:17 am

Quoting Planemannyc (Reply 1):
Neither did I. Last time I had rice served in a plane, I had no qualms when it was cooked. And what is the point of freshly cooked rice if the rest of the food is reheated? Are Japanese taste buds that sensitive?

Out here is would be the equivalent of fresh baked bread or cookies back there. You would tell the difference. Of course we can all get by on less fresh fair, but it is nice to have.

BoomBoom
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:22 am

Quoting Jet-lagged (Reply 6):
Out here is would be the equivalent of fresh baked bread or cookies back there. You would tell the difference. Of course we can all get by on less fresh fair, but it is nice to have.

Well the airline I typically fly doesn't even serve pretzels anymore, so I guess it all depends on your perspective.
Our eyes are open, our eyes are open--wide, wide, wide...

cedarjet

Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:35 am

It is a big deal, try boiling an egg at 35,000 feet. Nice that JAL have put it on the Heathrow flights first (including Osaka). I just missed out on the fresh rice but JAL impressed me when I flew them to Japan in August and to Australia a little later in the year. My expectations were high and the airline did not disappoint.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

bkkair

Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:21 am

Cathay Pacific has had real (not microwave) rice cookers aboard for at least 7 years. They will also prepare real eggs, in a skillet, any style you like.

Jet-lagged

Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:44 am

Quoting BoomBoom (Reply 7):
Well the airline I typically fly doesn't even serve pretzels anymore, so I guess it all depends on your perspective

Now there's an idea! Fresh hot pretzel's, with cheese toppings, or cinnamon sugar, etc. etc.

Sadly, I don't rate the Fresh Set. Cattle Class for me, so a pack of pretzels are a welcome treat. Most importantly is that I get to fly somewhere!

F27XXX

Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:08 pm

Quoting Bkkair (Reply 9):
Cathay Pacific has had real (not microwave) rice cookers aboard for at least 7 years. They will also prepare real eggs, in a skillet, any style you like.

My god - that must be quite a chore making eggs to order for over 400 people - how can do that?
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!