KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

Passengers "trapped" For Ten Hours Onboard Plane

Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:51 pm

(VG.no. Translation by me)
Trapped inside a plane for ten hours.
No food served for ten hours!

Already seven hours delayed, Lars Folke Nordmark and Aina Stock were trapped inside a plane at Kastrup (CPH) last night. Several passengers had claustrophobic attacks.

The couple's flight problems started already at departure from their vacation in Turkey. Nordmark told Adressa.no that the plane was two and a half hours delayed before it left Antalya (AYT).

With a Turkish pilot, the plane ended up in the snowstorm that has caused chaos in Denmark the last few days.

"With a Turkish pilot flying in the storm, there were some near-death experiences during the trip. There were a few very long landings" says Lars Folke Nordmark to VG Nett.

The plane landed at Billund (BLL) before heading to Kastrup.

"Here we had to sit and wait for one and a half hour. It was tense at time, but eventually it was more a feeling of apathy" says Nordmark on the phone from Copenhagen.

Complete chaos
Kastrup was closed due to the snow, and thus the couple and the rest of the passengers were trapped inside the plane on the runway in Billund, waiting for Kastrup to reopen.

There were children crying and ill-tempered passengers.

"We didn't get any service during all the hours we were trapped inside the plane, so it was about ten hours wihout food" says Nordmark.

When they arrived Kastrup at 23:45 (11:45 PM) they had to wait another 15-20 minutes for plow trucks to clear room for the plane.

The doors froze shut
The chaos was not over. The situation inside the plane got tense and several passengers had claustrophobics attacks when they were told the doors were froze shut.

"This was definately not a fun situation" says Nordmark to VG Nett.

Finally a tractor was able to open the doors, and at 02:00 (2 AM) last night, the Norwegian couple could finally put their feet on the ground.

"Now we're going to Kastrup to try and get tickets for a plane home" concludes an obviously tired Nordmark.

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=111937 (Original article in Norwegian)

Now, obviously, it's no fun to sit on a plane for ten hours, but come on. Front page newspaper material? Must have been a slow news day. And comments like "the Turkish pilot" and "near death experiences" really aren't too bright.   

[Edited 2005-12-30 13:54:05]

[Edited 2005-12-30 13:57:55]
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

ANCFlyer

RE: Passengers "trapped" For Ten Hours Onboard Plane

Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:58 pm

My German is much better than any attempt at Norwegian. . . .

What carrier?

And I think it's decent front page news . . . inexcusable . . . completely.

Again, as I remarked in the thread about the BA flight sitting in Berlin for 7 hours . . . you'd think the carriers would learn.

I would NOT have sat there for 10 hours. You might have a different front page story had I been aboard.

Here's another thread from Berlin . . . same storm I guess??
TXL:Police Covinces BA Pilot To Deboard Passengers (by Pelican Dec 30 2005 in Civil Aviation)

[Edited 2005-12-30 14:01:21]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:20 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
What carrier?

Pegasus flight 942. Scheduled in at 18:30, arrived at 23:28.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

LN-MOW

Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:33 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Thread starter):
Finally a tractor was able to open the doors

... y-y-yeah .... !

Maybe it was used to pull the heater cart.
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:12 am

Quoting LN-MOW (Reply 4):
Finally a tractor was able to open the doors

... y-y-yeah .... !

Maybe it was used to pull the heater cart.

Hehe, something like that. I was kinda wondering too, how exactly the tractor did it  Wink

pilotaydin

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:40 am

oh us damn turkish pilots and our bad weather flying....tisk to us...

what a moron....
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

MaverickM11

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:46 am

"With a Turkish pilot flying in the storm, there were some near-death experiences during the trip. There were a few very long landings"

Maybe I don't speak Norwenglish but this makes absolutely no sense to me...how many times did they land?
E pur si muove -Galileo

EGGD

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:01 am

What a terrible article. It sounds like they were not actually 'trapped' for 10 hours, but rather flying around trying to get to their intended destination. The article sounds quite badly written and almost racist when referring to the 'Turkish' Pilot. If this made front page news then I'd rather not trust the source!

747400F

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:11 am

The plane was supposed to fly AYT-BLL-CPH-AYT. It is a weekly charter flight for a cheapskate touroperator that does not want to pay for catering for it's guests, which the passengers knew before they boarded the plane. And with doors frozen how are the airline supposed to get food onboard?
All humans have the right to marry the one they love

KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:10 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 6):
Maybe I don't speak Norwenglish but this makes absolutely no sense to me...how many times did they land?

That was the quote from the dude. Now, my Norwegian friends will understand, due to the geography of where he was from  Smile  duck 

Quoting EGGD (Reply 7):
If this made front page news then I'd rather not trust the source!

Just Norway's largest newspaper  Wink

Qantas744er

Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:49 am

Yeah not a nice experience, and i have had this same experience, was standing on a taxiway for 7 hours at DEN in a UA 744 going to Chicago, the wait was because of a storm over Chicago and they didnt even give us water.
Worst experience I have ever had on a Plane!

cheers Leo
You live and you die, by the FMA

CO7e7

Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:07 am

With a Turkish pilot, the plane ended up in the snowstorm

That's stupid and very ignorant to say.... I don't think the pilot's nationality has anything to do with his decision making abilities.

Over and Out!

Qantas744er

Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:53 am

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 11):
I don't think the pilot's nationality has anything to do with his decision making abilities.

i fully agree, but i was watching a German tv show regarding the crash of the Tu154 and the 757-200 from DHL over the bodensee, in that show Russian pilots said how still nowadays from the Communism in Russia pilots were used to making decision from theire commanders etc. and not using their instinct or personal decision, in the end this caused the crash over the Bodensee, because the russian pilot followed the instructions from the controller and not from his TCAS system in the plane, even though the controller was wrong, what im trying to say is that from some nations pilots make different decisions.

Im not trying to be racist in any way, so if you think my post is please tell me.

Cheers Leo
You live and you die, by the FMA

clipperhawaii

Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:03 am

I would NOT have sat there for 10 hours. You might have a different front page story had I been aboard.

Yes, and the headline would be "Alaskan Cop Arrested By FBI On Board Plane.

TSA anyone?

Smile

On the ground pax need not be held for more than 3 hours. After that it is time to de-plane.
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

BG777300ER

Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:05 am

hahahahah
Yeah, it doesn't seem very believable that they kept the passengers on the plane for 10 hours...

Quoting EGGD (Reply 7):
It sounds like they were not actually 'trapped' for 10 hours, but rather flying around trying to get to their intended destination.

I agree, it is more likely that this happend.
Koi mi sra v gashtite?

ANCFlyer

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:37 pm

Quoting ClipperHawaii (Reply 13):
Yes, and the headline would be "Alaskan Cop Arrested By FBI On Board Plane.

More like:

Alaskan Cop is Hero! Frees Airplane Hostages!

And I would NOT pay for the slide that delpoyed either  snooty 

Ridiculous keeping pax on board for that long . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

boeingfanyyz

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:06 pm

I would NOT have sat there for 10 hours

And...what would you have done? What people don't understand is that if you pretty well say something that a f/a considers offensive, you will have some law enforcement agency up your ass!!!
Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

scalebuilder

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:18 pm

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 11):
That's stupid and very ignorant to say.... I don't think the pilot's nationality has anything to do with his decision making abilities

Could not agree more. It almost seems to me from the newspaper qoute that "Turkish pilots simply seek those snowstorms so that they can trap their passengers for a grueling 10 hours on purpose." Insensitive and disrespectful. Racist too in my mind.

Quoting BG777300ER (Reply 14):
Yeah, it doesn't seem very believable that they kept the passengers on the plane for 10 hours...

So do we know if this really happened or if this is fact? One thing is to think, and one thing is to know fact apart from that belief. Norwegians should be no strangers to harsh climate conditions...even those that rapidly change and come as a surprise.

I have to call out to any Danish friend here......how prepared are you dealing with stranded passengers in a snowstorm? Does it take you 10 hours or so to rescue passengers from a "frozen" airplane that just landed at one of your airports?
Go the extra mile......and avoid the traffic!!!

SonOfACaptain

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:24 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):
Ridiculous keeping pax on board for that long . . .

Last time I checked, airlines didn't control the weather.

How long was this flight suppose to be?

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

ThereandBack

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:04 pm

The couple's flight problems started already at departure from their vacation in Turkey. Nordmark told Adressa.no that the plane was two and a half hours delayed before it left Antalya (AYT).

Many flights get delayed everyday all around the world they need to accept that fact and move on.

With a Turkish pilot, the plane ended up in the snowstorm that has caused chaos in Denmark the last few days.

Yes, they ended up in the snowstorm because the pilot was Turkish. I have no idea if this was mean to be racist but it really sounds like it.

The situation inside the plane got tense and several passengers had claustrophobics attacks when they were told the doors were froze shut.

How can the airline or the crew or the pilots help it if it's so cold outside that the doors freeze shut.

"We didn't get any service during all the hours we were trapped inside the plane, so it was about ten hours wihout food" says Nordmark.

Many Airlines these days don't serve food at all during flights. Pegasus didn't plan for the passengers to be on the plane for as long as they were stuck on board. And besides people can go a long time with out eating before they die.  bitelip 

ANCFlyer

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:11 pm

Quoting Boeingfanyyz (Reply 16):
you will have some law enforcement agency up your ass

Great, maybe we could swap humorous stories!

Quoting Boeingfanyyz (Reply 16):
And...what would you have done? What people don't understand is that if you pretty well say something that a f/a considers offensive, you will have some law enforcement agency up your ass!!!

Gotten off . . . I thought I made that abundantly clear.

Next question?

Quoting SonOfACaptain (Reply 18):
Last time I checked, airlines didn't control the weather.

Listen - nothing to do with the weather. Everything to do with common sense. Sitting on the ground for ten hours (or 7 as in the other therad) is assinine. Period, end of story, no matter how you try to articulate it, it's assinine. Go ask your Daddy, SOAC, how long he would have kept his passengers hostage?

Quoting ThereAndBack (Reply 19):
And besides people can go a long time with out eating before they die

sarcastic 

ThereandBack

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:17 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 20):
Gotten off . . . I thought I made that abundantly clear.

Next question?

So...what would you have done to get off? The doors were frozen shut.

Would you have stormed the cockpit and opened the window and just simply jumped out?

Or, would you break open a window or start kicking at an emergency exit until it finally broke?

Honestly, if you were on the plane I don't think you would have simply gotten off.

SonOfACaptain

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:21 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 20):
Listen - nothing to do with the weather.

I know what you are saying, and if the pilot could have gotten to the gate and he didn't (I don't know the whole story, neither does anybody else) then he made a mistake. But, if the weather prevented them, then there is nothing you can do about it.

-SOAC

scalebuilder

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:32 pm

Quoting ThereAndBack (Reply 21):

Why not pull the plane into a heated hangar and let it "thaw out" there? That would have made it possible for the passengers to likely leave in less than the 10 now "famous" hours.

SonOfACaptain

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:38 pm

Quoting Scalebuilder (Reply 23):
Why not pull the plane into a heated hangar and let it "thaw out" there?

Riiiight. Hangar's are not like garages... you just can't drive into one. There are many complications involving that.

-SOAC

ANCFlyer

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:40 pm

Quoting ThereAndBack (Reply 21):

Would you have stormed the cockpit and opened the window and just simply jumped out?

Or, would you break open a window or start kicking at an emergency exit until it finally broke?

Don't be so mellodramatic . . .  sarcastic 

In all the hundreds of thousands of miles I've flown - and I do mean hundred of thousands - I have never seen a door 'frozen' shut on a plane. Not saying it couldn't happen of course, but then there are three other doors on the plane . . . at least three others. What are the odds they were all frozen shut? Sounds like BS to me.

Regardless . . . where there is a will there is a way.

scalebuilder

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:53 pm

Quoting SonOfACaptain (Reply 24):
Riiiight. Hangar's are not like garages... you just can't drive into one. There are many complications involving that.

Aircraft in lots of pieces...yes I realize that. An empty spot somewhere? You make it sound impossible that this could even be likely. Maybe it is not.

I never suggested that a hangar was like a garage. I have two of them myself outside, so I just know that solution would be too simple. I only suggested that if 100+ passengers, including very young children, are trapped in an aircraft and simply can't get out, would this be a possibility just for this time? My question was just that plain in nature.

SonOfACaptain

Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:12 pm

Quoting Scalebuilder (Reply 26):
. I only suggested that if 100+ passengers, including very young children, are trapped in an aircraft and simply can't get out

They were not trapped, where they couldn't get out.

Nobody knows the story here, so lets not make rash judgements here.

-SOAC

scalebuilder

Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:20 pm

Quoting SonOfACaptain (Reply 27):
Nobody knows the story here, so lets not make rash judgements here.

I'm not. I asked in reply 17 of these facts. Still waiting for these if anyone out there have them.

SonOfACaptain

Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:25 pm

Quoting Scalebuilder (Reply 28):
I'm not. I asked in reply 17 of these facts.

Oh no, no. I wasn't talking to you. I was just talking in general to everybody.

-SOAC

ThereandBack

Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:35 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 25):
Sounds like BS to me.

I agree there had to be a way out no matter what was going on.

We're Nuts

Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:46 pm

You might have a different front page story had I been aboard.

"Aviation Fanatic Doomed Never to Fly Again"?
Dear moderators: No.

ammunition

Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:19 pm

What are the safety issues regarding the jammed door? What if it was an emergency situation.

If they were flying and landing as many times as they make out in the article, i would have loved to have been on it!!

Regards
Amo
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

LTAC03R

RE: Passengers "trapped" For Ten Hours Onboard Pla

Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:32 pm

Quoting Qantas744ER (Reply 12):
in the end this caused the crash over the Bodensee, because the russian pilot followed the instructions from the controller and not from his TCAS system in the plane, even though the controller was wrong,

Ummm... not quite... that accident has produced tens of pages of crucial lessons, mainly relating to CRM, TCAS and especially ATC. It certainly was not the first TCAS related incident nor will it be the last. Having devoted about a year of work to TCAS issues I find such remarks a little on the uninformed side. Not to mention, no accident in aviation history has been the result of a single cause.

Quoting Qantas744ER (Reply 12):
what im trying to say is that from some nations pilots make different decisions.

That may be true to an extent, except with today's standards, when you're flying on an airline flight, you can be sure that the crew has had plenty of experience making high risk, spilt second decisions, as well as plenty of training on such decision making, pretty much anywhere in the world. I can assure you there is a myriad of reports of American and European pilots falling in the same scenario as those unfortunate Russian pilots, dozens of times a year, and guess what, the decisions always come out of a mixed bag.

Oh, sorry. Who am I to know? I forget I'm one of those stupid Turkish pilots.

[Edited 2005-12-31 10:34:02]
The difference between god and a pilot is that god doesn't think he is a pilot.

747400F

Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:44 pm

Lets just get the 10 hours straight:
The flight came from AYT to BLL that is approx 5 hours
Scheduled turn around time in BLL for that flight is 50 min (I was there and saw the monitors earlier in the evening)
Flight time BLL-CPH: 40 min
that makes 6 hours 30 min. That these pax under normal conditions would have been on the plane.

Add to that waiting time in BLL for CPH to open and waiting time in CPH for a gate and the doors to open - what is the big deal?

The weather that night in eastern Denmark (CPH area) was terrible and the airport was closed several times to allow runways and aprons to be cleared of snow. With the CPH gates beeing at "fingers" snow accumulate, the alternative is to do remote parking of the aircraft - thus letting the pax be exposed to the blizzard - I somehow don't think that is a viable alternative.

As for the original newspaper comments about the turkish pilot and the snow storm, well they are just plain stupid.
All humans have the right to marry the one they love

AJMIA

Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:01 pm

Well, if the passengers were on the ground at BLL why did they not just open the doors and let the people off into the beautiful terminal they have there? BLL is a state of the art international airport.

I imagine the storm was too bad to allow the plane to pull into the gate or maybe it was very late and there was no ground or immigration staff at BLL to service the flight.

Drama, Drama, Drama... How about the Amtrak passengers who were stranded for almost 24 hours on their way from Orlando to Savannah. It may be an unpleasant experience, but it is not such a life and death event as they make it out to be.

Speaking of BLL, the last time I was there in 2004 there were rumors that the airport was in negotiation with a US carrier for direct nonstop flights to the US. Any chance this might still happen?

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

fastenseatbelt

Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:32 pm

Quoting 747400F (Reply 34):
that makes 6 hours 30 min. That these pax under normal conditions would have been on the plane..... what is the big deal?

That is so true! I was "trapped" on an Emirates flight for 17 hours once and I didn't complain (to be honest I did enjoy it). Was a flight from DBX to BKK. Were already taxiing as the pilot announced that he was sick so had to return and deplane. Took two hours for a new crew to arrive.

Then finally took off for the scheduled 7 hours to BKK, which turned into 17 due to a baby being born with an emergendy landing in India and the subsequent cancellation of the BKK leg with the plane diverting to CGK which was the final destination of that flight. I was then basically on the return flight from CGK to BKK.

All this was without leaving the plane once. We did get drinks though. And the IFE kept me busy.
Above the clouds...it must be beatutiful there

vatveng

Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:43 pm

Sounds to me like they weren't trapped by frozen doors but by "procedure". Most airlines I have ever heard of have procedures about parking the plane and waiting out delays, but most delays are a few minutes to a couple of hours, not 10 hours, and these policies don't take into account continuing delays that go past a couple of hours. Several years ago, my brother-in-law was similarly "trapped" in a plane for 6 hours not due to any mechanical failure or weather problem but due to the airline's beauracracy not allowing the delayed pax to deplane. And it wasn't a cheapskate charter operation, it was United.

This seems like a similar situation, being held hostage by a desk jockey at HQ.

greasespot

Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:26 am

Quoting SonOfACaptain (Reply 24):

Actually hangars ARE like garages...Most airports if they have any kind of maintenae hangars also have line MTCE hangars that do not have aircraft in parts....Pulling the AC in is exactally wht they should have done....NO door is frozen that they could not find away to open it....

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:24 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 38):
Most airports if they have any kind of maintenae hangars also have line MTCE hangars that do not have aircraft in parts

And, considering CPH is a SK hub, you can be sure they have plenty of hangar room. Now, would SK charge Pegasus for the warm up? Probably, but at least they would get off.

GVWOW

Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:35 am

A possibly silly question, but would the heat of the engines be enough to thaw the back doors? (provided the engines where turned on and the doors where actually frozen.)
Also, I found it rather strange that although the article mentioned "near death experiences" with the utmost graveness, It never mentioned which airline it was. It seems like if they believed their lives where at risk and they where mistreated, they'd want people to know who was mistreating them!

ZKSUJ

Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:42 pm

The article is basically saying that Turkish pilots are dangerous and not good at their professions. What the hell?????

GVWOW

Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:40 pm

Oh I see, it's not the airlines fault but it is the Turkish pilot that caused all the horrible things... Yeah sure
I find it disgusting that people can use such language to describe their experiences, no matter how bad they are. I think this article defines filth, and the viewpoint from which it was written is not reasonable.

scalebuilder

Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:40 pm

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 41):
The article is basically saying that Turkish pilots are dangerous and not good at their professions. What the hell?????

I just wouldn't put too much trust into what you read in this newspaper article. My suspicion is that this newspaper is one of those typical tabloids where facts presented need to be taken with a generous grain of salt. That goes for both their opinions about Turkish pilots as well as for the general travel experience of the passengers.

Sounds to me that total travel time for the passengers amounted to about 5 or 6 hours. They were left stranded in the aircraft for maybe 4 or more. Nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to charter flights to or from popular European tourist destinations (read additional reviews for charter airlines on Carsurvey.org).

Sounds to me that this episode was somewhat over-dramatized.

mandala499

Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:30 pm

That is so true! I was "trapped" on an Emirates flight for 17 hours once and I didn't complain (to be honest I did enjoy it). Was a flight from DBX to BKK. Were already taxiing as the pilot announced that he was sick so had to return and deplane. Took two hours for a new crew to arrive.

Then finally took off for the scheduled 7 hours to BKK, which turned into 17 due to a baby being born with an emergendy landing in India and the subsequent cancellation of the BKK leg with the plane diverting to CGK which was the final destination of that flight. I was then basically on the return flight from CGK to BKK.

All this was without leaving the plane once. We did get drinks though. And the IFE kept me busy.

So that what it was!!!!! I heard this EK into CGK had an "out of the ordinary situation" once... LOL Thanks... Glad you were kept entertained during the whole thing.

But come on? Turkish pilots deliberately fly into snow storms to cause near death experiences and loooong landings?

Something's very wrong... either the pilot was having a very bad day and decided to take it on the pax, or, the newspaper had a very slow news day and "hey, let's make a best seller during the holiday season by scaring the cr*p out of those about to take a holiday..."

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:05 am

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 44):
Something's very wrong... either the pilot was having a very bad day and decided to take it on the pax, or, the newspaper had a very slow news day and "hey, let's make a best seller during the holiday season by scaring the cr*p out of those about to take a holiday..."

My vote goes to the slow news day  Wink

Bicoastal

Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:16 am

I would hazard to guess that the most irritated passengers were those that are smokers having nicotine withdrawal fits. Good time to quit smoking.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

pilotaydin

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting LTAC03R (Reply 33):
Oh, sorry. Who am I to know? I forget I'm one of those stupid Turkish pilots.

that's 2 of us....we can't join the EU now because we stock humans into airplanes... a big no no!! lol

next time fly with some aliens
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

TK787

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:27 am

I also had two similar experiences:

1. About 5 years ago,being stuck on the tarmac at JFK over 6 hours (we watched two full videos) on our way to Chicago, due to weather there. Had to come back to the gate and refuel. ( I think it was UA)

2.last January 26 during a winter storm, after circling over JFK 8 times landed in Boston ( TK001 from IST) set on the tarmac 6 hours after a 12 hour flight, and eventually some people called 911 from their cellphones and the police showed up, boarded the plane only after that we were pushed back to a gate. It was terrible to be on board a full plane with no food, no water, bathrooms clogged and people drinking, babies crying. To make matters worse Boston was shut down the following day, when it opened the next day we were taken to the plane and after a 12 hour ordeal, #3 engine wouldn't start and we were taken back to our hotel. soooo, on the 4th day I took a cab to the bus depot and I was in new york in 4 hours.

In both cases the weather was the problem, but I think TK could have done better to take care of its passengers in Boston, because I knew that we were flying into a weather system the night before looking at the net. TK should have thought about a "B" plan.

mandala499

Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:17 pm

PilotAydin & LTC03...
Glad U guys still got your humour! But I guess U better put agents in Scandinavia now to see if it's a slow news day there... if there is, cancel all flights to those countries... J/K

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !