avi8tir

Titanium & Security

Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:26 pm

I have been thinking about this for a while, and since I experienced it again today, I thought Id ask the question. I own a Breitling Aerospace. It is constructed of high grade titanium. I read years ago that titanium is anti-magnetic. So understanding that, I realized that I could wear it through security. so I tried it out. it worked. I have worn it through every time since without a hitch. 100+ times. its kind of funny sometimes because the person monitoring the detector will often point out to me that I am still wearing my watch in order to remind me that it will set off the machine. I just smile and walk through and I often see a look of disbelief on their face. this raises a question to me about the possiblities of other titanium made items making it through security. perhaps in larger amounts, it would set off the detector. any thoughts on this?
*Long live the Widget*

LMP737

RE: Titanium & Security

Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:45 pm

Along with being very expensive titanium is also very hard to work with. In order to make anything using it you need skilled labor and specialized facilities. Nothing to lose sleep over.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

avi8tir

Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:58 pm

I would think that certain "organizations" would have the funds.
*Long live the Widget*

Dalmd88

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:26 am

Let's see, I could steal a small piece from work, and I know I can sharpen it enough to cut myself. So I would think it is a problem.

2H4

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:36 am

Quoting DALMD88 (Reply 3):
Let's see, I could steal a small piece from work, and I know I can sharpen it enough to cut myself. So I would think it is a problem.

Well, it's a mistake to believe that commercial airliners can be sterilized, and that all weapons can be screened out.

The single most secure and heavily monitored environment...maximum security prisons...regularly have problems with weapons being created and smuggled in.

If you think think the TSA...or any airport security force...can achieve, or can be expected to achieve better results, you're fooling yourself.

All you can do is make your best effort to minimize the risk.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

LMP737

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:01 am

Quoting Avi8tir (Reply 2):
I would think that certain "organizations" would have the funds.

Why would these "organizations" want to spend the money on titanium when you can use other non-ferrous metals that are cheaper and easier to work with?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Sinlock

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:02 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 1):
Along with being very expensive titanium is also very hard to work with. In order to make anything using it you need skilled labor and specialized facilities. Nothing to lose sleep over.

It's simpler than any of you think...............

NOW AVAILABLE AT YOUR LOCAL EBAY!!!!!

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&satitle=Titanium+knife&category0=

I'll feel a little safer when body scanners start showing up.

deltagator

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:08 am

Quoting Sinlock (Reply 6):
I'll feel a little safer when body scanners start showing up.

I'll feel safer when the US Government allows profiling and we start looking for the terrorist instead of lookign for the weapon and bothering nuns, old ladies, and kids at the security lines (unless of course they are the terrorists then kick the crap out of them.)
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

JayinKitsap

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:18 am

I heard on the news that at least one airline will not let an unaccompanied minor sit next to any man (I guess is they think they could be a pedophile). So it is OK to use profiling there but not to catch the bad guy boarding the plane?

Cops profile all the time: hot looking cars and junkers get pulled over more often. Why, because they have a high probability of violations. The minivan needs less scrutiny. Why can't the TSA.

Males in their 20's that look scruffy, have wild eyes, and raise suspicion should get more scrutiny. Grannines and older businessmen should get less but still some. Statistically balance your security to the threat instead of being PC.

cloudyapple

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:26 am

I believe the security scanners can be adjusted to various sensitivties to detect different materials.

But hey - a plastic fork or a woman's handbag could be a weapon, should they be banned too? What about mobile phones? They can receive signals and trigger things planted onboard! Ban them! Or you can spend some time to invent a scanner to detect bad guys instead. Stop being ridiculous about security. Many tourists are put off by these over the top so-called "security arrangements". I am one.
A310/A319/20/21/A332/3/A343/6/A388/B732/5/7/8/B742/S/4/B752/B763/B772/3/W/E145/J41/MD11/83/90