Lono
Topic Author

Widget Power ATL Bigger Than ORD...!

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:19 am

Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

MDorBust

RE: Widget Power ATL Bigger Than ORD...!

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:26 am

Maybe if the widget would cull out some of those flights they would be in the black.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

premobrimo

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:29 am

So ATL now has the largest operations of any airport in the world. Does anyone know where the entire list is of 2005 operations?
Now You're Flying Smart.

Lono
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:33 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 1):
Maybe if the widget would cull out some of those flights they would be in the black.

DL is going for the gusto...

They have to... ATL and DL has always been awsome..!!!

upstatedave

Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:41 am

Quoting Lono (Reply 3):
ATL and DL has always been awsome..!!!

I too am an avid delta fan, however I wouldn't go so far to say either is awesome. Personally I hate ATL. It is one of the most boring airports out there. There are no nice architectural touches to speak of. The is little in the way of food and shopping. It is a long walk w/o people conveyer belt thingys from either end of the terminal to center where the tram is.
"Once you fly, you will walk with your eyes skyward. For there you will go again." Leonardo da Vinci

ckfred

Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:17 am

UpstateDave:

I disagree as to food. ATL has Chick-fil-A. ORD only has the standard fast food, although it does have Berghoff's in Terminal 1.

FriendlySkies

Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:36 am

What's so special about Chick-fil-A? ORD has Burrito Beach in T3!  Wink

Anyway, this was expected, afterall ORD is CAPPED!

ATLFlyer323

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:32 pm

Quoting UpstateDave (Reply 4):
Personally I hate ATL. It is one of the most boring airports out there. There are no nice architectural touches to speak of.

While I agree that the airport is very plain looking Im content with the MANY Delta jets I get to see and just the sheer number of people going to and from ATL every day. I LOVE ATL TO DEATH!!!
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

BigGSFO

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:42 pm

Quoting ATLFlyer323 (Reply 7):
I LOVE ATL TO DEATH!!!

Padcrasher? Is that you?  Smile

quickmover

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:44 pm

I believe the place is called Pascals or something like that. Absolutely the best southern food ever! I believe it's on the B concourse in ATL.

Nothing like that in Denver.

beertrucker

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:05 pm

I remember it being on the b concourse but my fav in ATL is Charley's Steakary. But I not been there in awhile now. Since where I been going as of late there either is a non stop flight or I go through another hub city like SLC. But I don't mind ATL. Only time it is bad is if you have to run to a flight that was late.
Fly HI

Lono
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:06 pm

I hate ATL.

Most do... but as "they" say... heaven or hell you must connect in ATL.... AND... DL will take you there!!

Quoting ATLFlyer323 (Reply 7):
I LOVE ATL TO DEATH!!!

WOW!.. I would not go that far... but ATL has it happening for sure!!

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 8):
Padcrasher? Is that you?

WHO..... ???
OH yeah... whatever happened to Song...???

ikramerica

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:33 pm

I too am an avid delta fan, however I wouldn't go so far to say either is awesome. Personally I hate ATL. It is one of the most boring airports out there. There are no nice architectural touches to speak of. The is little in the way of food and shopping. It is a long walk w/o people conveyer belt thingys from either end of the terminal to center where the tram is

100% agree on all points. I was excited because they had a Blimpie only to find it was a premade Blimpie stand where they had removed the lettuce tomato onion so it wouldn't go brown as it sat there all week. ick.

getting around ATL is aweful, the sitdown eateries allow smoking which means if you don't smoke you won't want to go there, etc.

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 6):
What's so special about Chick-fil-A? ORD has Burrito Beach in T3!  

IAH and DFW have BBQ (Harlan's and Dickie's)! Mmmm...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

LOT767-300ER

Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:39 pm

I too am an avid delta fan, however I wouldn't go so far to say either is awesome. Personally I hate ATL. It is one of the most boring airports out there. There are no nice architectural touches to speak of.

Delta packs a 1-2-3 punch in having ATL/CVG and SLC in hubbing at the most boring airports in the world. Its already a nightmare for me at ORD viewing one UAL A320 after the next AA MD-80...but imagine if they were all the same airlines..

Imagine ORD after the west terminal and 8 runways and minus the slot restrictions. O'Hare has more advantages than Atlanta than many realize, the shear number of international carriers and cargo that come into Chicago blows Hartsfield out of the water.

Anyways, personally as a photographer, i go to ORD, MIA, LAX, EWR, LAS and JFK...last place you want to be when your a conosseur of all planes is Atlanta.....or god forbid...CVG.

csturdiv

Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:30 pm

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 5):
UpstateDave:

I disagree as to food. ATL has Chick-fil-A. ORD only has the standard fast food, although it does have Berghoff's in Terminal 1.

Not for sure how long the Berghoff's will be there though. The original one in downtown Chicago closed their doors for good a few days ago.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

ATLFlyer323

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:31 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 12):
the sitdown eateries allow smoking which means if you don't smoke you won't want to go there, etc.

I didn't think they were allowed to anymore due to the public smoking ban!? Does the airport not count cause every public restaurant/store does not allow smoking inside the building anymore.

Thanks,
Brandon
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

deltagator

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:16 am

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 9):
I believe the place is called Pascals or something like that. Absolutely the best southern food ever! I believe it's on the B concourse in ATL.

You are correct with the name but it is spelled Paschal's. The original in downtown is good. The airport ones, while ok, are merely imposters using the name if you ask me.

getting around ATL is aweful,

What? ATL is wonderful to get around. Other than the long walks (heaven forbid we get some excercise!) down the concourses it is by far one of the simplest designs in the world.

Quoting Csturdiv (Reply 14):
Not for sure how long the Berghoff's will be there though. The original one in downtown Chicago closed their doors for good a few days ago.

Say it ain't so!

Quoting ATLFlyer323 (Reply 15):
the sitdown eateries allow smoking which means if you don't smoke you won't want to go there, etc.

I didn't think they were allowed to anymore due to the public smoking ban!? Does the airport not count cause every public restaurant/store does not allow smoking inside the building anymore.

If you want to smoke in ATL you have to go to the "Terrarium" on the concourses. Probably one of the most disgusting and sad places you will see. Nobody ever looks remotely happpy to be in there.

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 6):
What's so special about Chick-fil-A?

Everything! "Eat Mor Chikn" as they say. (For those of you who don't know Chick-Fil-A, visit their website to understand the mispellings in the advertising.)
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

MKEdude

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:28 am

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 5):
I disagree as to food. ATL has Chick-fil-A.

Ummm I wouldn't bash ATL either but this is your reason...seriously?

I used to work at Chick-fil-A when I was a teenager. You wouldn't to know the things I could tell you.  faint 
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

jfklganyc

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:32 am

I personally like ORD and ATL . . . but ATL has the ability to expand well into the future RIGHT NOW!

ORD is well behind in terms of expansion. Even if they do build the new runways and terminal complex, it is not going to keep them ahead of ATL because ATL already has a new runway on the way and is talking about building a whole new south terminal complex.

They are one step ahead of ORD which means ORD has to take two steps to catch up and three steps ahead to lead. The ORD plans is ambitious, but so is the ATL plan.

Only way ORD regains this is a major downsizing of DL's ATL hub. This won't happen unless DL goes belly up . . .

PJ

echster

Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:42 am

Quoting Premobrimo (Reply 2):
So ATL now has the largest operations of any airport in the world. Does anyone know where the entire list is of 2005 operations?

I have access to the number of operations for FAA towers, but the December info hasn't been loaded yet.

CHI787ORD

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:23 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 13):
magine ORD after the west terminal and 8 runways and minus the slot restrictions. O'Hare has more advantages than Atlanta than many realize, the shear number of international carriers and cargo that come into Chicago blows Hartsfield out of the water.

ORD will regain this. Once construction is ccompleted, both UA and AA will expand. AS a hub, ORD is an airline's dream. Geographically well positioned and also a in a major world business center. Not to mention the loads of untapped international potential that UA will untap post BK.

airportplan

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:46 pm

Quoting JFKLGANYC (Reply 18):
ORD is well behind in terms of expansion. Even if they do build the new runways and terminal complex, it is not going to keep them ahead of ATL because ATL already has a new runway on the way and is talking about building a whole new south terminal complex.

They are one step ahead of ORD which means ORD has to take two steps to catch up and three steps ahead to lead. The ORD plans is ambitious, but so is the ATL plan.

ORD's first new runway is already under construction and is scheduled to be completed two years from now. When this runway opens ORD's capacity restrictions go away. The entire ORD expansion program is schedule to be completed roughly eight years which is not too far in the future. When the entire program is completed ORD will have 8 total runways (Six parallel and two crosswind).

When new ATL runway is completed the airport will have five parallel runways with no crosswind runways. There are no other runways planned in the ATL Master Plan. In the end ORD will have substantially more airfield capacity than ATL.

If ORD builds the proposed Western Terminal and ATL builds the South Terminal both airports will have roughly the same gate capacity as they do today. But due to the UA and DL bankruptcys both terminal projects are now in limbo and have no funding.

727LOVER

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:04 am

WIDGET POWER??????????? EXCUSE ME?????!!!! What depth of your ass did you pull that from????
They had help from little “a” power:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Steven Pellegrino

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kevin E. Cook

View Large View Medium

Photo © Suresh A. Atapattu

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ryan C. Umphrey

View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel Wojdylo

View Large View Medium

Photo © Nathan Zalcman

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rafal Szczypek

View Large View Medium

Photo © Stefan Sjögren - Stockholm Arlanda Photography

View Large View Medium

Photo © Matthew Hom--Frame of Mind, Inc.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Agustin Anaya

View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle

View Large View Medium

Photo © Chaim Van Prooyen

View Large View Medium

Photo © Danny Fritsche - Airplanespotters

View Large View Medium

Photo © Christopher Anderson

View Large View Medium

Photo © Nathan Zalcman

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vincent Bonina

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gary Chambers

View Large View Medium

Photo © Marty McGuire

View Large View Medium

Photo © Marty McGuire

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Carter

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Kopczak

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bill Shull

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kyle Donagher

View Large View Medium

Photo © Oliver Brunke

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Kopczak

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jay Selman

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kyle Donagher

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kyle Donagher

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kyle Donagher

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bruce Leibowitz

View Large View Medium

Photo © Brian Bartlett

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Robbins

View Large View Medium

Photo © Marty McGuire

Not to mention the biggest power of all…….FAA power!!
Which keeps restricting AA and UA flights at ORD.
Love Trumps Hate

AirNaskar380

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:09 am

Quoting Csturdiv (Reply 14):

Actually, it doesn't close till February 28, so if you want to fly in and eat there, you better do it soon

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:39 am

For those of you who preach over ATLs prowess over ORD...you need to get your head out of your behind and realize that ORD is restricted by the FAA. Oh yea, one more thing....we have this thing called Midway in Chicago.  Silly

No matter what the argument is...ORD is x1000 more interesting airport than Atlanta for every possible reason.

Lono
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:59 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 22):
What depth of your ass did you pull that from????
They had help from little “a” power:

What are you trying to say......????? Help from a little power???

Alitalia744

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:11 am

Quoting Lono (Reply 25):
What are you trying to say......????? Help from a little power???

He's trying to say AirTran helped push ATL to be the most used airport in the country and that it wasn't Delta alone.

I'm sure no one thinks it's DL alone, but you cannot undervalue the size of DL's operation there!
Some see lines, others see between the lines.