MAH4546
Topic Author

AirTran Canceles Boston-Dulles Service

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:43 pm

Despite the demise of Independence Air, airTran will not go ahead with plans to begin 4x daily non-stop service between Boston and Dulles, which was to start early this year. Article:

http://business.bostonherald.com/businessNews/view.bg?articleid=119801

An indication, albeit a small one, that there may not be a rush to fill in the "gap" that Indepdendence left, which in reality was a glut in capacity that the other airlines didn't need. I agree with this, which the article hints at, let's see what happens.
a.

airtran737

RE: AirTran Canceles Boston-Dulles Service

Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:01 pm

Right after FL announced the service B6 did as well. Also UA added about 40% more capacity on the route as well. While it may seem to the average Joe that FL is running scared, the guys at FL are saying that we won't just dump seats into a market. We're going to move that aircraft to a different market where it can enjoy good low factors and higher yields.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

OttoPylit

Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:01 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 1):
While it may seem to the average Joe that FL is running scared, the guys at FL are saying that we won't just dump seats into a market. We're going to move that aircraft to a different market where it can enjoy good low factors and higher yields.

--translation--

"Hey guys, Jetblue and United just announced service too, and there is no way we can compete. Jetblue kicks our pants in every department despite our attempt at IFE, and UA has all the transcons and international flights there. Let's just back off. We'll just have to pull back in a couple months anyway."'

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

stlgph

Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:45 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 1):
We're going to move that aircraft to a different market where it can enjoy good low factors and higher yields.

How about tossing them into a market or two served by Independence Air where traffic grew heavily because of the entrance of an LCC into the market.

Or other suggestions--

that second daily Indianapolis to Ft. Myers

the talked about Chicago Midway to Miami
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

BH

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:43 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 2):
Hey guys, Jetblue and United just announced service too, and there is no way we can compete. Jetblue kicks our pants in every department despite our attempt at IFE, and UA has all the transcons and international flights there. Let's just back off. We'll just have to pull back in a couple months anyway."'

OttoPylit

It's just amazing how people hijack threads with their twisted ideas. This just shows us how messed up people can be.

Anyways FL is running there airline like a business should be run, by evaluating risk and opportunity continuously and making financially sound decisions. After all the airline industry is another game these days. Playing hard ball like the good' ol days doesn't work like it used to. Maybe some of the big boys will figure that out soon. If some (a lot) of airlines would run like a business instead of a hard headed airline they wouldn't be where they are now, asking for 2,3,4 pay cuts--pulling large amounts of flights out of cities devastating the areas financially.

quickmover

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:53 am

IAD-MCO is still a go isn't it? I wouldn't be surprised to see those 4 IAD-BOS flights changed to IAD-MDW. Maybe they should add another CLT-BWI as well. CLT was a decent market for FLYI and it's a good one for FL as well. FL should pick up their old CLT gate.

casinterest

Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:11 am

I wonder if Airtran will move those planes back into Greensboro or potentially Knoxville.

Other possibilities would be to expand operations out of Dallas or Charlotte.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

quickmover

Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:58 am

I was kind of surprised they pulled out of GSO in the first place. Being as close as it is to CLT though, I doubt they go back for a while. IMO they will focus on CLT.

srbmod

Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:51 am

I wouldn't be surprised if they use those a/c to increase service out of CLT.

stlgph

Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:12 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 8):
I wouldn't be surprised if they use those a/c to increase service out of CLT.

My vote is on Charlotte, considering all the "pre-emptive" talks of Southwest coming into the market.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport