HPLASOps
Topic Author

IAD Parking

Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:50 pm

Just stumbled across this photo:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Matthew Lee - Contrails Aviation Photography

Just exactly how close to the terminal is the nose of that 777 (parked in the lower right hand corner of the picture)? How can you marshal a plane that close into the terminal safely? Where does the marshaller stand? Is there any ramper at IAD that can explain that gate to me and why that is?
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

malaysia

RE: IAD Parking

Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:52 pm

Some of the parking spots at IAD have the lining up light system where you park without a marshaller especially the gate where that 777 is parked it has a 747/777 guide which you align the front green and red light and the side one to show your in position.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

dogfighter2111

Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:55 pm

Well, here is a good saying:

'If it fits, then fit it'  Wink

Well, i don't know if they have a Docking System installed.

Thanks
Mike

Bicoastal

Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:35 am

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 1):
Some of the parking spots at IDA have the lining up light system where you park without a marshaller especially the gate where that 777 is parked it has a 747/777 guide which you align the front green and red light and the side one to show your in positio

You are sooo wrong on this. Were you just speculating? One loses credibility easily on this forum. United's IAD gates have no such automated system. All aircraft are marshaled in by qualified rampers. All gates have yellow painted guidelines at each gate with the stopping points for all of United's aircraft. When aircraft are getting close, marshallers move to the captain's left so the captain can maintain visual contact without being obstructed by the aircraft nose. The photo doesn't really show the distance between building and aircraft. Yes, aircraft do park close to the building but they come in at slow safe speeds and are stopped at the appropriate marker.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

HPLASOps
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:38 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 3):
When aircraft are getting close, marshallers move to the captain's left so the captain can maintain visual contact without being obstructed by the aircraft nose.

The captain can still see the marshaller even off to the side? Doesn't the 777 sit very high off the ground? The nose of the plane doesn't look more than 3 feet from a portion of the building there. When I'd marshall in 757s, I'd have to climb on staircases sometimes just to get high enough for the capt to see me. Besides, based on the size of that ramp behind it, it doesn't look like it would hurt to move that 777 line back about 10-15 feet. There doesn't seem to be a problem parking that 757 far from the terminal building, so why not the 777?
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

AADC10

Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:44 am

When UA has a 744 at gate D-5 (if I recall correctly) they had what looked like a cherry picker that the marhsaller stood on to guide the plane in. The might use it at some other gates and for 772s as well. Several years ago, I was waiting for my flight at that gate and they mistakenly parked a 744 at the 742 mark so the incoming passengers had to wait for the plane to be towed to the correct mark in order for the jetway to reach the door.

"Temporary" Terminals C and D will probably celebrate their 25th birthday before they are replaced. This is just another reason why they should be replaced sooner. These are my least favorite terminals at a UA hub. Maybe I should take the bus to Terminal G to make me feel better about C and D.