StuckInCA
Topic Author

What's It Like To Work At Boeing?

Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:42 am

I'm currently struggling to make some decisions and thought some here might have useful insights for me. What is it like to work for Boeing (commercial aircraft)? As a Mechanical Engineer? In Everett?

I'm aware of huge layoffs in the past. I'm not too concerned about that as most industries are cyclic and it's just a part of life today.

I'm curious about how people feel (morale) as employees there. What's the environment like? Are you challenged? Are you treated well? Is there open communication within the company? Is the environment somewhat like the military (managers think they own you)? Are there opportunities for career growth and advancement? Do you feel respected by your managers and by the company as a whole?

I've had a job in an aerospace company where the morale and environment were terrible. Managers used intimidation (attempted intimidation) as a means to "motivate" and yelling between workers and management was standard. It seemed a bit like how I would imagine boot camp.

Where I currently work, the environment is great... but housing here is outrageously unaffordable (I will NEVER be able to buy a house). I can relocate and work for Boeing at the same salary while housing costs are about 1/2 what I'm currently facing. Also, commercial aviation being a passion of mine makes working for Boeing attractive.

Any current or former BCA employees who can shed some light on the situation?

Tod

RE: What's It Like To Work At Boeing?

Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:30 am

Quoting StuckInCA (Thread starter):
As a Mechanical Engineer? In Everett?

Like Junior High, but different.
It's a big place with plenty of bureaucracy and processes to get in the way.

Seriously, at Everett in Engineering it varies a lot from group to group.
Some are great and some are........

Personally, I like where I'm at now, but I know guys that would never want to leave the Lazy-B-Ranch.

Tod

StuckInCA
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:40 am

Thanks for the input!

Anyone else (who has, perhaps, returned home from work since my post)?

Stitch

Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:20 am

I was in Technical Services for a year (running the CATIA systems) and I loved it. Great team, great camraderie.

b6sea

Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:34 pm

My dad works as a structural engineer at Renton and says it's just a job... Very Beaurocratic... money's good otherwise its not that great.

-Chans

roseflyer

Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:54 pm

I find it interesting to read the responses so far. I really wanted a job with Boeing as a Mechanical Engineer, but that went no where. I ended up getting an offer at Hamilton Sundstrand which is an aviation technologies company making much of the stuff you find in your Boeing planes located Rockford IL that I couldn't refuse. It is a place that is dirt cheap to live in. It is a great company with solid management and a fair amount of reliability since it depends evenly on commercial and military contracts which means it isn't very cyclical and continuously profitable. But it has its problems too as it is a huge company with a lot of beaurocracy. Some joked that we engineers had people flushing the toilets for us because we were so restricted in what we could do on a day to day basis.

I here Boeing is a great company, but has a lot of beaurocracy that goes along with being a giant. They treat engineers well. There are plenty of companies out there. If you want affordability, move to the midwest where many houses outside of big cities are below $100,000!
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

StuckInCA
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:30 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 5):
move to the midwest where many houses outside of big cities are below $100,000!

Holy carp! A totally beat fixer upper built in 1963 is over $600,000 here. Mobile homes top $400,000.

I appreciate everyone's input.

3DoorsDown

Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:29 pm

It's funny you ask. Our org right now is looking for engineers. You could be working in Fredrickson, Auburn, Renton and/or Everett. Auburn and Fredrickson you may rotate through, but the majority of new engineers are going to Renton or Everett. If you want to, contact me through my profile and I'll give you my Boeing e-mail address. You can send me your resume.

3DD

[Edited 2006-01-06 08:30:08]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos