Planes Will Be Equipped With Parachutes?!?

Sat May 27, 2000 2:44 pm

While some people (on this forum) are talking about pilots using a parachutes to leave the plane before the crash, it remind me on something. Couple of years ago I read somewhere that in the future, planes will be equipped with special parachutes to prevent a plane from crashing in hopeless situations. The nose of plane would be damaged upon landing but nobody would get hurt and most important, no lives would be lost. Parachutes would be deployed with some special rockets (or something like that –don’t remember exactly).
Did anybody heard something about this before, and what the heck are airlines and aircraft manufactures waiting for???>:->    
It is possible thing to do!!!!!!!

RE: Planes Will Be Equipped With Parachutes?!?

Sat May 27, 2000 2:53 pm

It's already available for small private planes. As for airliners, the parachute would be too big and heavy to be practical.

Sat May 27, 2000 3:09 pm

I am particularly talking about commercial airplanes. And talking about practical, it has to be practical if it can save human lives.

Sat May 27, 2000 3:24 pm

That would be a very expensive extra for a crash that happens very, very, very rarely.

AviationLawyer

Sat May 27, 2000 11:05 pm

There can be parachutes that are large enough to prevent a 747 from droping to the ground installed on all flights. But most people are not willing to pay 20K for an economy ticket JFK to LAX.