Dreamflight767
Topic Author

New "Flight Attendant Training" TV Show

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:48 pm

Hi Everyone:

I just saw a commercial on the Travel Channel. It seems to resemble the reality show "Airline." However they follow Flight Attendants as they go thru the hiring and training process. I saw a number of logos (Southwest, jetBlue, and Frontier) so it looks as though they visit the various airline training facilities.

The first show starts next Thursday. I thought it looked interesting and wanted to share.

Have a nice night...

Aaron

nzblue

RE: New "Flight Attendant Training" TV Show

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:17 pm

Though I cannot say much about it due to the non-disclosure agreements we all had to sign (my class was the one that was filmed for this very show), I can tell you that it exclusively follows the 6-week training program at Frontier Airlines, and the show is titled "Flight Attendant School". I've seen the commercials myself...in fact, today I found myself watching the Travel Channel just to see the commercials! So far, I've seen two different commercials, and the more I see them, the more excited I am to see the show, even though I know how it turns out in the end  silly 

A full line up of air dates and times can be found on the Travel Channel website. The show features 18 half-hour episodes and will run (as far as I know) for nine weeks.

Hope you all enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed going through it!

Regards,

NZblue
It's an entirely different kind of flying; all together.

UPS707

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:34 pm

Quoting NZblue (Reply 1):
Hope you all enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed going through it!

And you're now a TIVO season pass for me  Smile

Thanks for the heads-up guys!

flyf15

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:52 pm

Quoting NZblue (Reply 1):
my class was the one that was filmed for this very show

Was Annie E in your class?

nzblue

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:55 pm

Quoting Flyf15 (Reply 3):
Was Annie E in your class?

She was indeed!
It's an entirely different kind of flying; all together.

EngineersWife

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:30 pm

Sounds like a very interesting show. Pity it won't arrive here until whoever knows when - if at all!
It feels so wrong to stare without paying......

ckfred

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:01 am

This is what's wrong with Airline, too much CSAs dealing with passengers, and not enough things such as F/A training, pilot training, maintenance, pilots going over flight plans in ops, central operations deciding when to cancel flights, etc.

One of the most interesting things I've seen is learing how DL handles connecting bags at ATL. I saw that on either Discovery or TLC.

I'm looking forward to the new show on Travel Channel.

FLAIRPORT

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:06 am

Airline was canceled...so this show is coming on right in time!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

etops1

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:41 am

it looks like they approached america west first for this but the merger complicated things because they put a hiring freeze . so they went to another great airline. frontier. can't wait to watch it.

Type-Rated

Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:13 am

I imagine that since the F/A's in this show have now graduated and are online there will be more than a few "You're the guy/girl on that TV show!" comments from passengers.
I think this show will be interesting to say the least!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

willbdsp

Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:33 am

Airline was cancelled??

Cadet57

Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:49 am

Quoting Willbdsp (Reply 10):
Airline was cancelled??

Again WTF? since when. But this new show really looks cool, really proves that FA's are more than eye candy and drink servers.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

9252fly

Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:58 am

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 6):
This is what's wrong with Airline, too much CSAs dealing with passengers, and not enough things such as F/A training, pilot training, maintenance, pilots going over flight plans in ops, central operations deciding when to cancel flights, etc.

The only problem with your sensible request is that it would be difficult to make each one of those areas trashy enough to generate the required ratings that would make the whole effort profitable.

toltommy

Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:59 am

I understand that the VP of Inflight at Frontier died unexpectedly while the show was being filmed. It'll be interesting to see how its handled.

mariner

Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:17 am

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 13):
I understand that the VP of Inflight at Frontier died unexpectedly while the show was being filmed. It'll be interesting to see how its handled.

Yes. There's an article about her - and the show - in today's Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_3389937

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

king

Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:26 am

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 13):
understand that the VP of Inflight at Frontier died unexpectedly while the show was being filmed. It'll be interesting to see how its handled.

This is true. Pam Gardner was with Frontier for 14 years I believe. I have met her at Frontier's GO in DEN. She actually passed away the same day the Travel Channel ran the first commercial for the new show. I think it was a week or so ago. She was in Houston at the time. It's been tough for many people in the company. Everyone knew her.

I believe the company held a memorial for her on Monday. The premier episode of "Flight Attendant Training" was shown at her memorial.

I will be interested too to see how her passing is handled on the show. I do beleive Pam would have wanted the show to go on. She loved Frontier.

JetBlueGuy2006

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:09 am

Quoting Flairport (Reply 7):
Airline was canceled...so this show is coming on right in time!

According to the A&E network website, Airline has not been cancelled, they have moved it to Tuesdays,permanently, I don't know, but it hasn't been cancelled
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

qqflyboy

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:32 am

Brutal, brutal, brutal... I can't beleive they let the one flight attendant go on the first day because she got locked out! Hello... surely a circumstance not within her control. Anyway... most airlines run a tight ship when it comes to training, but compassion goes along way too.

And what's with the climbing wall and walking a balance beam some ten+ feet in the air? Crazy!
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

calpilot

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:57 am

Pam was a great lady. Her husband is a B737 F/O for CO, and all of our thoughts go out to his family.

Simpilicity

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:01 pm

that'll put flight attendants in a new (dumb) light.

They'll be shown up as the glorified waiters & waitresses they really r !!!

(should get some reaction out of this one !!! )

USAFHummer

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:04 pm

I might as well be the first to take a crack at the stock footage, in Seinfeld fashion...

"And what's the deal with all the United Airlines stock footage? Has UnTIED somehow managed to tie the knot with Frontier???"

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

qqflyboy

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:08 pm

Pam Gardner died December 29, likely after the show finished filming, so it won't have an impact on the show itself, but surely it is affecting the employees of Frontier. Very sad.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

apodino

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:11 pm

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 17):
Brutal, brutal, brutal... I can't beleive they let the one flight attendant go on the first day because she got locked out! Hello... surely a circumstance not within her control. Anyway... most airlines run a tight ship when it comes to training, but compassion goes along way too.

You saw what Pam said quite clearly as I did. She told the class that they have to be in the room at a certain time, after which the doors would be locked. If you weren't inside the doors at that time, you were canned, no ifs ands or buts.

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 19):
They'll be shown up as the glorified waiters & waitresses they really r !!!

If anyone on this forum still thinks that after seeing the entire season of this show, they need to have their head examined.

wjcandee

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:23 pm

Just watched both episodes. My DVR will tape the rest from now on.

I didn't know until the end of the second episode that Pam had died. I spent both episodes marveling at her people skills and her firm-yet-fair demeanor. It was also obvious how much her instructors admired and respected her, and learned from her how to handle difficult situations. I also noted that she didn't palm off the firing on others, but made a point to handle that part personally, which is impressive.

I don't know whether Pam was an f/a prior to being an executive, but that's not an uncommon path in this business. I pulled up Frontier's press release from her appointment in 1998 at age 43, and it doesn't mention her background. To say that she died of a "blood clot" is a bit disconcerting and makes me wonder whether this is an example of that particular occupational issue in the airline biz, or whether it was something totally unrelated. It doesn't look like Frontier is saying much about that. But it will certainly make me remember to take my Ecotrin tonight.

She seems like a wonderful person, and I know that she leaves huge shoes to fill.

Sorrowfully,

Bill

Type-Rated

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:37 pm

I thought the show was extremely well done, considering what it could have been if they hadn't planned it well. I actually found it quite suspenceful.
I was kind of in shock when I saw the memorial photo of Pam at the end of the show. That took me by complete surprise.
NZBlue, I saw you sitting in there a time or two! smile 
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

lincoln

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:39 pm

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 21):
Pam Gardner died December 29, likely after the show finished filming, so it won't have an impact on the show itself, but surely it is affecting the employees of Frontier. Very sad.

May she RIP... From what was shown of her on the program she seems like she was a wonderful person/manager.

On a brighter note, this program is almost everything I was hoping Airline was going to be and a little bit more... Showing you the parts of an airline that you (or at least most people) can't see for yourself...not what I can see by waiting at any WN podium [Just kidding, watch me get  flamed  for that...]

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

calpilot

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:47 pm

Pam, started at PanAm, Rocky Mtn., and Continental Express prior to Frontier.

GentFromAlaska

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:19 pm

Great show. I was however expecting CEO Jeff Potter to come in and introduce himself to the class in the first episodes. I also hope he will attend the graduation. Possibly the initial introduction happened and was chopped.

I did note on one of the index cards the F/A were tested on was "YYC" Hmmn. I wonder if that could be hint of things to come.

Excluding a charter, I would have thought the F/A in training would only be tested on the airport city codes F9 currently flies too. At this time and place we only fly over Canada on the way to ANC. But then again I also thought I saw Minot on one of the cards
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

F9Fan

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:25 pm

I thought the show was very well done, more like a documentary than a "reality" show. I have to wonder, however, if the "crash pad" they showed is something F9 does for all the trainees.

Some other observations: I think most of us in here could pass the airline city code test, although the average man on the street would be hopeless. It was also interesting to see how everyone did on the "safety dance" test, where they had to recite the safety lecture they give before every flight. Several were very nervous, especially after Pam's lecture about their high standards, and the demonstration that they really, really, really mean it. When they say, "Be back by 7:10," they don't mean 7:14, or 7:11 for that matter.

I would love to hear from other F9 F/As as to how accurate the show is, at least compared to their experiences.

MidnightMike

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:26 pm

Very sad to hear of the news about Pam, one look at her and you know we was all business and had a lover for the company she worked for.

http://www.legacy.com/denver/Obituaries.asp?Page=SEARCHRESULTS
NO URLS in signature

wjcandee

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:26 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 27):
I would have thought the F/A in training would only be tested on the airport city codes F9 currently flies to

When my old g/f was training for ML years ago, they made her memorize a bunch of cities that ML didn't fly to. The reasoning was that interline and conx pax often come from places other than where they fly to. Made sense. Even way back then, I had a lot of useless knowledge, and she couldn't believe that I knew that MSY meant "New Orleans", and why ORD was called ORD. "Geek," she said.

A330300

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:29 pm

The housing was specifically done for the show I believe. For most of the other trainees, they either lived in the area or had already relocated.

Tifoso

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:31 pm

Quoting Apodino (Reply 22):
If you weren't inside the doors at that time, you were canned, no ifs ands or buts.

The doors that you are talking about are those of the classroom where all the students were housed. In the show, the person got locked out of the entire building, not just the room where the training was being held. I thought firing her was over the top, especially when they were not forewarned about the locked doors...made for good television though!

For me, the show was moderately good. There was very little about aviation (almost non-existent), and it was more about the politics between candidates....read reality show.

mtnwest1979

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:49 pm

By the looks of the house they are staying in and the situations bound to arise,this looks like it should have been named "Real World: Frontier." And been on MTV.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Jacobcal

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:59 pm

Cool show... Their training looks a lot more intense then ours at CO. Boy is F9 strict! I thought the whole house thing was kinda cheesy and one of those guys looks like someone who when through CO training a while back.

JacobCAL

F9Fan

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:01 pm

Well, they were kinder with the woman who got locked out (they told her to try again in six months) than with the man who didn't take his physical. Now, as for the "Real World: Frontier Airlines" part, almost all TV shows are conflict driven. Hopefully, we will see less of the house and more of 7001 Tower Rd.

F9Fan

phllax

Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:02 pm

I have to agree with Tifoso that the termination of the woman who got locked out was over the top. As I posted on another web site's forum, fire code regulations here in California require that all outside access doors remain unlocked during hours of operation. Maybe somebody, especially NZblue, can tell us what the regulations are in Colorado, or if the entire class was told about the locked building doors after the incident. In my opinion the class should have been told about them from the beginning.

wjcandee

Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:32 pm

Can I just say that everyone always has a reason for screwing up. Maybe it's a good one, maybe it isn't. This woman was obviously not exactly hard-core. If I KNOW that I HAVE to be back in a particular spot in TEN MINUTES or I lose my job, I might: (a) wait to deal with crap in my car until class is over; (b) make sure that if I walk outside, I'll be able to get back in; (c) if I get locked out, raise hell, not just stand there like a dumb animal waiting to see if someone comes out. If nothing else, she failed the "adapt, overcome, survive" test.

Also, they told these people straight up that there were no excuses. At some airlines, if you are late for a trip, you're fined and if you're late more than a couple of times, you are terminated. Most of these people admitted that they were laid back and not punctual. Okay, let's overcome that personality trait.

Finally, every good training program for any succesful company, after fair warning, demonstrates that they're not kidding by making an example of someone early on (although not necessarily by terminating that person). And some person in the class almost always makes it easy for the program to do that. At Cracker Barrell, for example, they tell you that you in training that you can't eat any food at all, and that it's a termination offense on the first offense. None. Nada. Nothing. And then some dope invariably eats something that they think is innocuous and gets canned in the first few days that the store is training or open. In the case of one of my former employees who went to work at Cracker Barrell, it was saltines. Everybody else in his training class got the point, hard and fast.

PRAirbus

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:47 pm

Keep in mind this is a "TV/Reality show"...I'm pretty sure it's been edited. Also, not all airlines have the same training curriculums. A major international airline would have a different approach than a LCC or smaller carrier.

mats

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:35 pm

I was captivated by the show. The brief mention of Pam Gardner's death was so chilling; I almost didn't want to watch further, but I found the show so interesting.

F/A training is notorious for being brutal. They're always kicking people out. I guess that's their tradition. The amazing part is that the training is unpaid. These individuals travelled at great expense to Denver, rearranged their lives, and then got kicked out for minor details. I can't say that I like that policy, but they have no shortage of applicants to fill those slots.

If the show continues like this, it will be good press for Frontier and for flight attendants. Few industry outsiders realize how much work their jobs entail and how little they are paid.

lincoln

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Quoting Phllax (Reply 36):
fire code regulations here in California require that all outside access doors remain unlocked during hours of operation

Code [in California and Ohio, can't speak for Colorado, but if they've adopted the BBC or NFPA 101, should be] requires that egress doors be operable --from the inside-- at all times the building is occupied. It does not require that people outside be able to get in just that people inside can get out (specifically, in case of fire).

This is why "Crash Bars" are so common (and the front doors at Frontier did have a touch-sense electron crash bar with a manual override switch on the back.. made by one of the "S" security companies, with maglocks at the top of the doors)* -- the door can be kept "locked" from the outside but all anyone has to do is hit that bar in an emergency or otherwise and the door opens.

Also, per code, since an access control system is being used, if the building fire alarm is activated, power must immediately be removed from the maglocks meaning that the doors would be "unlocked".

IMHO, When you're in a strange building not open to the general public (I am frequently, and usually the outside doors are locked), you should assume that the doors will be locked from the outside unless you're told otherwise. The tardiness was completely her fault.

Lincoln
*- In addition to being an aviation geek, I'm also a security geek and an audio/video/automation geek (the latter, for which I get paid)
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

VgnAtl747

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:15 pm

Personally I didn't think the show was as good as Airline- I found it really predictable. You just knew that when they told everyone not to be late or they would be fired, that there would be someone getting fired for it shortly. I watched it for aviation referances, and of the two episodes I saw there wasn't a whole lot about aviation, other than the preflight announcement- although I do expect once the class gets smaller and they begin to do training on actual aircraft and such, it will get better.

I personally found the first couple episodes a little boring. Working for an airline, it's really no different than going to a class for your company, and didn't really do a lot for me- however I expect the general public will get more out of it.

What I liked about airline is that they followed just a few people and spent more time with a particular employee. This show tends to jump around, which to me makes it seem unorganized and less structured.
I wonder how much onboard training they'll actually cover...

I will keep watching it of course, as I said previously, I think it'll get better when they get the class size down and start doing some hands on training.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

MidnightMike

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting Tifoso (Reply 32):
The doors that you are talking about are those of the classroom where all the students were housed. In the show, the person got locked out of the entire building, not just the room where the training was being held. I thought firing her was over the top, especially when they were not forewarned about the locked doors...made for good television though!

For me, the show was moderately good. There was very little about aviation (almost non-existent), and it was more about the politics between candidates....read reality show.

It is to early for equipment training, the first week of training is kind of like an introduction to commercial aviation, learning airline code, the FAR's, & even something simple like the 24 hour clock. These students are attending class and for most, this is their first job with an airline. Simple little things like reporting to class/work on time & taking your medical in a timely manner have to be stressed.

As far as the girl that got locked out of the building, she should have never went to her car in the first place, wonder what was so important that she had to go to her car & risk reporting late to class.
NO URLS in signature

Tifoso

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:49 pm

Quoting midnight (Reply 42):
It is to early for equipment training, the first week of training is kind of like an introduction to commercial aviation,

IMO, they could have atleast mentioned some of the airline industry terms, and discussed Frontier's history, both of which were exam topics. Not every viewer is as familiar with terminology, and I did not know the history of Frontier either. It would have been great to learn about it.

The show would have been about aviation, rather than a lady trying to be a mother to some twenty-year olds.

As for the lady who get fired for being late, I just wish that Frontier would have mentioned that the building doors would be locked. While it was oversight on her part, the television camera probably made the Frontier folks a little harder than what they needed to be. Sorta like the Apprentice fiasco  Wink

Quoting midnight (Reply 42):
wonder what was so important that she had to go to her car & risk reporting late to class.

Documents to fill out the necessary forms?

lincoln

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:55 pm

Quoting VgnAtl747 (Reply 41):
Personally I didn't think the show was as good as Airline- I found it really predictable.

I'll admit that it was somewhat predictable but not in the same annoying way that airline is (To start: Drunk Pax followed by pointless Human Interest story about someone doing somthing that has nothing to do with the airline, throw in a canceled or oversold flight or two, maybe add in a misconnect for good measure, shake and stir well, then jump from half-finished story line to half-finished story line until the half hour is finished).

I don't think this show will last more than a season or two at the most with Frontier (perhaps season 2 would be CO or DL or JetBlue or ...) but so far I'm liking it. If it and Airline were in the same slot and I didn't have TiVo it would be the clear winner, IMHO.

Tifoso

Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:05 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 44):
I'll admit that it was somewhat predictable but not in the same annoying way that airline is

Airline is a reality show. That's the kind of stuff you would expect from it.

The Flight Attendant show tries to differentiate from Airline by being more about aviation, but the first two episodes were so reality heavy, that is seems like Airline V2.

Yesterday was only the first week, so it's probably a little too early to make a decision. Let's hope it improves in the coming episodes.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:31 am

I can't believe people failed the 24-hour time exam and even the airport code exam. If I got accepted to be a FA, I'd take it upon myself to study that obvious stuff beforehand.

Since I know there is an endless supply of people who want to be FA's, I'd expect the school to be strict. Dismissal for being locked out or failing to obtain the required medical exams beforehand didn't surprise me at all. That's how you assure that you have the best of the best. Come to think of it, nursing school is like that in many ways. In the second week, we had to memorize and perform a complete 30-minute head-to-toe physical exam on another nursing student. If you missed any part, you were failed.

I admire Frontier's "we mean business" and no-bullshit method.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

skyhigh777

Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:42 am

Are they going to mention Pam's passing away on the show? The only reason I had known about it was from reading this thread before watching the show last night, but I was shocked at the end when they quickly flasked a 2 second portrait "in memory" of Pam. I would have thought they would at least announce it to the class and show that on television, otherwise viewers were probably left completely clueless regarding her disappearance. Was Pam only able to film one episode?

[Edited 2006-01-13 16:43:31]
Prepare for take-off.

MaverickM11

Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:10 am

Quoting MtnWest1979 (Reply 33):
By the looks of the house they are staying in and the situations bound to arise,this looks like it should have been named "Real World: Frontier." And been on MTV.

It's the most underwhelming "reality show" house EVER.  Silly

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 40):
This is why "Crash Bars" are so common (and the front doors at Frontier did have a touch-sense electron crash bar with a manual override switch on the back.. made by one of the "S" security companies, with maglocks at the top of the doors)* -- the door can be kept "locked" from the outside but all anyone has to do is hit that bar in an emergency or otherwise and the door opens.

Wow. You just took it to a whole new level.
E pur si muove -Galileo

DL WIDGET HEAD

Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:32 am

Quoting Tifoso (Reply 43):
As for the lady who get fired for being late, I just wish that Frontier would have mentioned that the building doors would be locked. While it was oversight on her part, the television camera probably made the Frontier folks a little harder than what they needed to be.

I agree. I think Frontier was a bit harsh and inflexible in this instance. Apparently, this was the first day, in fact the first hour or so of training, and probably this woman's first time to that building. How was she to know that if she went outside for a cigarette, cell phone call, or whatever, that the doors would lock behind her. I don't think this was her fault and the Frontier facilitators seemed unwilling to consider any possibility that it wasn't her fault just to make a point. They should have exercised a little understanding and common sense. After all, they must have put quite a bit of money into getting this employee onboard, tested, back round checked, etc. etc. To just fire her over being 4 minutes late with a very valid reason is just wrong. What does that attitude convey to the flying public? That they're serious about training; yes. But, also, it could convey a company that will not bend the rules a little no matter what the circumstance. I believe the other firings were warranted. All in all, I like the show and am looking forward to seeing more.