britannia25

PIA-Manchester And North America

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:01 am

Hello

I have been following the discussions on this site for a while and decided it was time to join up! Please be nice to me! Ok, here is my first topic and I am sorry if it has been discussed before.

I am interested in the PIA flights from Manchester to the US. I was wondering how often the airline operates to the US each week from MAN. Last time I was at the airport to catch a flight to EDI, there were three PIA aircrafts to be seen - one 777 and two 747s. Can you join these flights as a passenger at MAN to fly to the US and what are the fares like? What are the loads like on these routes? I was also wondering if Pakistan was used as a transit base to travel to other countries on PIA flights.

Thanks

Lt-AWACS

RE: PIA-Manchester And North America

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:05 am

Well PIA flies MAN-IAH (and YYZ) but IIRC they do not have 5th freedom rights on that route, though I wish they did because I could have used it LOL. Anyone have an update? Oh and welcome to A.net.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Jesus Saves, Moses Invests
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

MANmatt

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:16 am

PK fly from MAN to KHI LHE and ISB in Pakistan. Heading west they fly to YYZ twice weekly, currently 3 weekly, IAH is twice but going down to just weekly soon, ORD is twice weekly, and also JFK which is 4 weekly. I really should know because we handle pk at MAN but i can't remember how JFK flights there are. PK has traffic rights on all routes apart from YYZ. IAH doesn't get many pax, JFK and ORD get a few, varies all the time. There is always high demand when the flight are heading back to pakistan though.

All flights are operated by 777-200s, with the exception of JFK flights which some have 747s on. The terminator flight is always operated by 747-300s.

Hope this helps.

Matt

britannia25

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:47 am

Thanks for the responses. I find it interesting that PIA has quite a large base at MAN. Do you think they will cut out the man stopover when the 777LR arrives?

MANmatt

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:16 am

I think we will see a few of their flights go direct in the future. Mainly the IAH and YYZ services. I think the JFK flights will remain as transits through MAN for the time being though as the pax/cargo demand warrents the 747s which require a stop in MAN. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

Matt

behramjee

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:35 am

The following applies to PIA's MAN-USA/YYZ operations :

a) 5th freedom rights not permitted to IAH and YYZ.

b) MAN will get 3 less flights per week from April when YYZ flights become NONSTOP from Pakistan with the B 772LRs.

c) MAN-JFK 5th freedom rights are only available on 2 of the 4 weekly flights.

d) MAN-ORD 5th freedom rights are only available on 1 out of the 2 weekly flights.

At the end of the day it must be said that PIA make a hefty profit on their LHR, BHX and MAN flights which see good loads and good yields year round.

britannia25

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:51 am

Thanks again for the responses - I think you have pretty much answered my question. I guess they pretty much have the market covered from North America and the UK to Pakistan (discounting emirates etc), so I imagine they are quite profitable.

MANmatt

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting Behramjee (Reply 5):
a) 5th freedom rights not permitted to IAH and YYZ.

IAH has got rights, but doesn't get many passengers checking in at MAN, usually only a handful.

Matt

Capital146

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:28 am

Quoting MANmatt (Reply 7):
IAH has got rights, but doesn't get many passengers checking in at MAN, usually only a handful.

Do you know when they got rights on this route, as I know that they couldn't carry passengers on MAN-IAH when it commenced a year or so ago? Maybe a few more of the ABZ brigade might choose this option rather than going through LGW if it was more commonly known and at a competitive fare compared to BA's prices.

[Edited 2006-01-07 20:29:18]
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

MANmatt

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:31 am

Quoting Capital146 (Reply 8):
Do you know when they got rights on this route, as I know that they couldn't carry passengers on MAN-IAH when it commenced a year or so ago?

Not sure exactly when, but i know the only flights that no pax check-in for at MAN are the YYZ flights. The last time i did the IAH flight is was very busy, only a few joiners though.

Humberside

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:38 am

c) MAN-JFK 5th freedom rights are only available on 2 of the 4 weekly flights.

d) MAN-ORD 5th freedom rights are only available on 1 out of the 2 weekly flights.

In the future, are ORD and JFK likely to see non-stop flights to replace flights with no traffic rights on the MAN-US segment?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

Capital146

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:48 am

MAN will get 3 less flights per week from April when YYZ flights become NONSTOP from Pakistan with the B 772LRs.

I'm surprised PK will cut 3 flights per week to MAN, as the Pakistan-UK-Pakistan flights are always heavily booked. Seems to be a real money maker for them.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

Jeremy

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:38 am

I have a non revenue ticket on PK that is good for IAH/ORD/JFK to MAN.
I tried to use it back in December and was bumped at JFK.
I plan on trying again in February.
I will let you know how it is.
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

jacobin777

Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:11 am

Quoting MANmatt (Reply 2):
ORD is twice weekly,

right now its twice weekly, but they will move it to 1X/weekly soon..and then back to 2X weekly in the spring/summer..

my mom takes that flight evey few months....usually goes packed...

YYZ-based flights are doing well.....

from what I know, IAH-YYZ is supposed to be one of the flights with the -200LR.

that being said, PK's plane just flew over my car about an hour ago.. biggrin  biggrin 
"Up the Irons!"